ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Trying to return to my former glory

LazyLightning22LazyLightning22 Advanced Members Posts: 247 ✭✭
I've made the decision that in 2019, I'm going to try and get my handicap below 5. I played in high school and didn't play hardly at all in college (money was better spent elsewhere). Right now, I would say that I hover around an 8 handicap. My swing is decent but pretty inconsistent. Most of my strokes are thrown away around the green. I have a serious case of the Y***. Ultimately, I want to build a fairly classic swing that is consistent as possible and also I have to figure out how to get rid of my chipping illness. Are there any good free instructional series on YouTube that y'all recommend? Also, how did y'all elevate your game to the next level?
Ping G400 LST 10*- Project X Even Flow Black 65 6.5
Titleist 909 F3 13.5*- Diamana Blue Board S
Titleist 909H 21*- Aldila Voodoo S
Titleist OG AP2s 4-PW- KBS C-Taper R+
Cleveland RTX3 RAW 50* 54* 58*
Cameron Newport 1.5

Comments

• fpyle3fpyle3 Members Posts: 70 ✭✭
    8 to 4 is not impossible in a year. I'd recommend perhaps scheduling a short game lesson and just bringing your 4 wedges and putter. You may also want to read Pelz's Short Game Bible and Rotella's Golf is Not a Game of Perfect or Putting Out of Your Mind -- I read these both from time to time, especially the Rotella stuff when my putting goes AWOL. Then allocate your practice time smartly, focusing on shots within 100 yards (i.e., half and 3/4 wedge shots, chips and pitches, bunkers) and putting. A single digit capper will have good and bad days with the full swing, but generally speaking the short game should travel. So get those wedges and putter dialed in. Good luck
    Driver: TaylorMade M3 9.5*, Graphite Design Tour AD GP6x
    Fairway Wood: Titleist TS3, 13.5*, A1, PX Evenflow White T1100 6.5 [use more tee shots] // TM M1 2017 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD MT7x [use more fairway shots]
    Hybrid/Driving Iron: Titleist 818 H2 19*, D1, PX Evenflow Black HC 6.5 [use more fairway] // TM P790 UDI 17*, PX Hzrdus Black 6.5 [use more tee]
    4 Iron: TM P790, Nippon Modus 120X
    5 - PW: Miura CB57, Nippon Modus 120X // Srixon Z945, Nippon Modus 120X
    Gap: Miura 1957 Y grind 49* (bent 50*), Nippon Modus 120X
    Sand/Lob: Titleist SM7 54M (bent 55*) and 60D, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge [normal, soft course] // Bettinardi H2 54* (bent 55*) and 60*, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge [firm course]
    Putter: Toulon Portland H3, Flat Cat Tak // Evnroll ER5, Garsen Quad Tour Proto
    Ball: Titleist ProV1 [normal, fast course] // Titleist AVX [cold, high wind, wet course]
  • tanker44tanker44 Advanced Members Posts: 238
    If you are OK off the tee then focus on the following:

1) Learn your exact full swing iron distances

2) Learn your full swing, 3/4 and half wedge distances

3) Get putting lessons

I took lessons for a year straight focusing on drilling down these items and began shooting under par on regular basis. I played in college with like a 74 career average and nothing exceptional. Then I quit for 6 years. Moved to FL and started playing again and found a coach that knew how to teach to score and work within swing. Good luck.
    Titleist TS2
    Titleist TS3 15*
    Titleist 818H 19*
    Callaway X Forged 4/PW
    Callaway MD4 Raw 52/56/60
    Ping Anser Cadence CB
  • naval2006naval2006 Advanced Members Posts: 939 ✭✭
    fpyle3 wrote:

8 to 4 is not impossible in a year. I'd recommend perhaps scheduling a short game lesson and just bringing your 4 wedges and putter. You may also want to read Pelz's Short Game Bible and Rotella's Golf is Not a Game of Perfect or Putting Out of Your Mind -- I read these both from time to time, especially the Rotella stuff when my putting goes AWOL. Then allocate your practice time smartly, focusing on shots within 100 yards (i.e., half and 3/4 wedge shots, chips and pitches, bunkers) and putting. A single digit capper will have good and bad days with the full swing, but generally speaking the short game should travel. So get those wedges and putter dialed in. Good luck

That’s all I did a few years ago save reading Pelz’s book. Took a handful of lessons with my instructor, practiced a lot of short iron shots, adopted Putting out of Your Mind as my golf bible and went from 10 years between 7/9 to 4 in six months. My game level has slowed down some lately but my putting is as hot as ever. I’m like a preacher now, I don’t have to reread Rotellas book, I’ve learned it by heart LOL.