ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Opening the face at address

dlaneriedlanerie Advanced Members Posts: 144
I'd like to see how you guys open the face at address.

Do you grip first then open the face, or do you address the ball first with an open face and then grip?

I'm trying to help myself minimize a slightly shut face at impact. Misses tend to be face pulls with a mostly neutral path or even worse a leftward path with a shut face.

Comments

• hoselrockerhoselrocker Members Posts: 32
    dlanerie wrote:

I'd like to see how you guys open the face at address.

Do you grip first then open the face, or do you address the ball first with an open face and then grip?

I'm trying to help myself minimize a slightly shut face at impact. Misses tend to be face pulls with a mostly neutral path or even worse a leftward path with a shut face.

Good question. I'm interested in the answer as well...
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Advanced Members Posts: 11,362 ✭✭
    edited March 14
    depends on the shot

For my standard usual push draw is set it a little open and then grip it. YMMV

To hit intentional hard slingers around corners and shots out of trouble ... I will set the face closed and then grip
    Ping G400 LST 11* Mitsu TI BB Matte 53x
    Callaway GBB 3w 14* Mitsu Blueboard 63x
    Ping G400 5w 17* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Callaway V-series Hwood Fuji TS 8.2s
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fujikura 904HBs
    Ping Rapture 5-PW Aldila NV MLTi Pro105x
    Ping iWedge 50* Aldila NV 105x
    Ping Zing 2 BeCu s2 54.5* & s3 57.5*
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • Ri_RedneckRi_Redneck Leather for Life!! Advanced Members Posts: 5,383
    Think about it. Your hands inherently want to do the same thing when you swing your normal swing. So taking your grip and then opening the clubface by rotating your hands really doesn't do anything if your hands do their normal thing during the swing. You have to change the angular relationship between the clubface and your hands. I get the feeling that the OP is asking this question in an attempt to coax a fade (or less of a draw) out of their stock shot. If this is the case, slight adjustments to your grip on the club are what is needed.

Now, some will say they manipulate the hands during the swing when they attempt certain shots, and this is true. This is frequently done on recovery shots such as punches, bump & runs, etc, but caution should be used when doing it on normal shots to slightly influence flight. Intentional manipulation during your stock swing will introduce inconsistency into your swing will eventually cause problems.

BT
    Bag 1
    F7 9.5* - Aldila Copperhead 70TX @ 44.5
    King LTD Blk 14.5* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 43
    King LTD Blk 19* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 41.5
    Mizuno MP15 4-pw - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
    Mizuno MP-T5 Black 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge

Bag 2
    Mizuno ST180 9.5* - Diamana Kai'Li 70 X
    Mizuno GPX850 14.5* - Motore Speeder TS 7.3 S
    Mizuno GPX850 20* - Motore Speeder TS 8.3
    Mizuno MP25 4-pw - Recoil Proto 125 F4
    Mizuno MP-T5 Satin 52, 56, & 60 TT Wedge
  • Santiago GolfSantiago Golf I Strive to make you Better Advanced Members Posts: 4,961
    I dont
    Driver: Taylormade M2 '17 10.5*; Accura Tour Z Pink, 85 M5 (285, can get one or two to carry 300+ if needed)
    Fairway: Taylormade Aeroburner TP 15*; Diamana Blueboard 72x (255)

LOOKING FOR A 7 Wood (probably gunna be 230-235 club)
    Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo 4-AW; Aldila VS Proto "By You" 100x
    4-5; 38", 61* lie, 5 iron weight (220, 210) 6-8; 37", 62* lie, 8 iron weight (195, 180, 165) 9-AW; 36", 63* lie (150, 130, 110)

S Wedge: Scratch 1018 DS 57*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35.5", 63.5* lie (85): I HARDLY USE IT IN THE BUNKER
    L Wedge: Maltby Third Wedge (Custom Grind) 62*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35", 64* lie: THIS IS MY BUNKER CLUB, HARDLY USE FROM OUTSIDE 40 YARDS!!
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 MB, YES! Tour Tracey (for practice only)

Ball: Vice Pro
    Grip: Super Stroke S-Tech Cord (Woods +6 wraps, Irons and wedges +8 wraps)
  • KenRobieKenRobie Advanced Members Posts: 116
    A good example of where to put the face ope/ closed is take your normal relaxed grip and hold the club in front of you at arms length with a relaxed tension free grip pressure. Note where the face is, now squeeze the life out of the grip and see where the face moves to. That is going to be your normal impact tendency. Just adjust the pre-grip face rotation and swing away.
  • CwebbCwebb Advanced Members Posts: 5,847 ✭✭
    Here's Jack Nicklaus' opinion.....https://www.golfdigest.com/story/jimflick_0707