ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

looking for some driver shaft recommendations

QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Advanced Members Posts: 5,972 ✭✭
edited March 14 in WRX Club Techs
Good day to you all. I am looking to get some driver shaft recommendations. What i am looking for are some mid launch shafts that have a smoother feel. I tend to hit the ball pretty low, so i am not looking for the ultra low launch shaft. Mid launch, low spin ( yes I know it really doesn't exist) would be awesome. I have plenty of speed so that is not an issue (see pic). I also do tend to hit a hook so I am looking for some stability for sure.

i have been playing around with a tensei, av blue 75 x flex shaft in a driver and it seem to be working pretty well. I have always liked the feel of the hazrdus yellow shaft but i dont get my best numbers with that shaft.

Also, i am not super concerned with price, so whatever you got let me know. thanks.
driver: SRIXON Z745
fairway: NIKE VAPOR 13*
3-4 IRON: MIZZY MP18MMC FLIHI
5-9 IRONS: MP5 DG AMT X100
WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX 4: 48, 53, 58, 64
PUTTER; RIFE Cayman
BALL; various, ask me that day.

Comments

• jackbauerjackbauer Russian prisonAdvanced Members Posts: 276 ✭✭
    Tour AD TP maybe? It'll be at or near the top of the list at my next driver fitting.
  • monkeyboymonkeyboy Lefty Boomers Posts: 618 ✭✭
    (unless you have already done so) If you are not concerned with price...then get fitted so that you know for sure what characteristics you require in a shaft. Otherwise, you are simply guessing and maybe wasting your money. Hitting your current shaft vs a host of potential new ones will instantly let you see results of which are better/worse for you. Some need a High bend point, some low. Some need tip stiffness, some don't. Some brands Stiff are more like Regular...etc.

Get fit - get evidence - decide, no more guess work

Just my 2 cents.
    Driver (9.5) - Cobra F8+ Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S
    Wood (15) - Exotics EX10 Aldila Rougue Silver 70 S
    Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
    Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
    Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
    Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
    Putter - Gauge Design GAA-8
    Ball - Snell MTB Red
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Advanced Members Posts: 5,972 ✭✭
    jackbauer wrote:

Tour AD TP maybe? It'll be at or near the top of the list at my next driver fitting.

that is on my list as well. That and the IZ. problem is finding one to try.
    PUTTER; RIFE Cayman
    edited March 14
    monkeyboy wrote:

(unless you have already done so) If you are not concerned with price...then get fitted so that you know for sure what characteristics you require in a shaft. Otherwise, you are simply guessing and maybe wasting your money. Hitting your current shaft vs a host of potential new ones will instantly let you see results of which are better/worse for you. Some need a High bend point, some low. Some need tip stiffness, some don't. Some brands Stiff are more like Regular...etc.

Get fit - get evidence - decide, no more guess work

Just my 2 cents.

I have tried fittings, the issue is availability. it is very hard to find shafts in X flex to begin with to try. IF they have them it is not usually a shaft that fits me. Also, i work at a golf store part time so I can try everything that we have available. Just trying to see what else is out there.
    PUTTER; RIFE Cayman
  • Bomber_11Bomber_11 Enjoy the Chase. ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 3,523 ClubWRX
    I'd suggest going in and hitting the Accra TZ6

Mid launch, low spin, great feel
    ‘16 Taylormade M2 Tour Issue 8.5° w/ KuroKage Dual Core XT 60TX
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15° w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX
    PXG 0311X 2i w/ KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 105S+
    Mizuno JPX919 Tour 3-PW w/ DG Tour Issue X100
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50F/54S/60D w/ Pink DG S400
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Button Back
    Jones x Greyson Stand Bag

Work. Play. Win. Repeat.
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Advanced Members Posts: 7,029 ✭✭
    Raijin 74X in addition to any of the recent Accra stuff. Best combo I've ever hit that is smooth feeling but doesn't spin very much. Of course you know that strike plays a massive factor but all things equal, I find VA Comp/Accra to offer some of the best feeling shafts that retain the stability while keeping spin in a reasonable window.
    WITB
    LTD Pro Kiyoshi White 65X
    LTD Kai'li 70X
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    Apex Pro Smoke incoming!!
    Stealth 2.0 50/10SS
    Stealth 2.0 54/12SS
    Stealth 2.0 58/10SS
    TP Black Copper Juno
    TP5X
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag
    Z1ggy16 wrote:

Raijin 74X in addition to any of the recent Accra stuff. Best combo I've ever hit that is smooth feeling but doesn't spin very much. Of course you know that strike plays a massive factor but all things equal, I find VA Comp/Accra to offer some of the best feeling shafts that retain the stability while keeping spin in a reasonable window.

Thanks, i am also looking at the OBAN white.
    PUTTER; RIFE Cayman
  • BookerBooker Advanced Members Posts: 711 ✭✭
    Maybe look at a tensei pro blue 70tx I don't think I've hit a better feeling shaft. Matrix ozik tphd 7 in xx flex is also a smooth feeling mid to low launch shaft. I haven't demoed the new 130 rogue line or the graphene line.
    QuigleyDU wrote:

Z1ggy16 wrote:

Thanks, i am also looking at the OBAN white.

This is what I use now. It's not the same profile as the Raijin but it is similar to Accra Tour Z Xtreme 4x5. Stiff tip and middle, softer butt, smoothie feel. It's a solid choice and I may replace my Kai'li with it in the coming weeks to try and get my spin down just a little bit.
    WITB
    LTD Kai'li 70X
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    Stealth 2.0 50/10SS
    Stealth 2.0 54/12SS
    Stealth 2.0 58/10SS
    TP Black Copper Juno
    TP5X
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag
    Reed of to a.... bumpy start.
    PUTTER; RIFE Cayman
  • mwink822mwink822 Advanced Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭
    There's no shortage of options. Even Flow Blue 6.5; Diamana BF in TX; Tensei AV Blue in TX; Aldila Copperhead TX; ATTAS Cool. Any of them would be the mid flight you're looking for with good responsive feel.
    Titleist 917D3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 80 Tour X 125 MSI
    Titleist 915 Fd 13.5* Diamana S+ 80X (rotates in and out based on course played)
    Titleist 917F2 18* (turned down to 17.25*) Aldila Rogue Black 80X 95 MSI
    3-P Mizuno JPX 900 Tour Nippon Modus 3 105X
    White Satin Mizuno MP T7 51-08 Modus 3 105X
    Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 55-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
    Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 59-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1
    mwink822 wrote:

There's no shortage of options. Even Flow Blue 6.5; Diamana BF in TX; Tensei AV Blue in TX; Aldila Copperhead TX; ATTAS Cool. Any of them would be the mid flight you're looking for with good responsive feel.

thanks, thats the problem!! there are too many options!! haha. i have even thought about going back to the shaft that i got along with best. The GD YS7. The even re-released and updated it.
    PUTTER; RIFE Cayman
  • theboyslatertheboyslater Members Posts: 24 ✭✭
    I have the tour AD IZ and love it. But I like higher balance points shafts.
  • mizunoMX25mizunoMX25 Advanced Members Posts: 220 ✭✭
    I'm a low-ish ball driver and have fallen in love with my GD AD IZ. Might be too high launch for what you're looking for but I have gotten outstanding results from it. Feels pretty darn stable especially in 6-7-8 weight ranges.
    Titleist TS3 10.5 GD AD IZ 6S
    TM Burner 3W
    Callaway OptiForce 5W
    818H1 3H 21*
    Srixon Z785 5-PW Aerotech i110 S
    Titleist Vokey 52F, 58D
    Scotty Cameron Newport / Machine M2A
  • CKalmaCKalma Advanced Members Posts: 432 ✭✭
    I would say if you like the feel of a counterbalanced Hzrdus Yellow, then you should try the Tensei Pro Orange. Both are counterbalanced, but the Tensei is going to produce lower spin. It does say low launch, but I find it easy to elevate and I used to have a low flight with driver up until I focused on hitting at a higher AOA. My swing speed is a few mph faster, but I am seeing great results from moving from an Aldila Rogue 125msi to the Pro Orange. The Pro Orange and my new M3 driver have both proven to be a better combo over my previous setup.
    TM M3 8.5* Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
    TM M3 15* Tensei CK Pro Blue 80TX
    TM TP UDI 18* DG X100
    TM 2014 MB 4-9 DG X100
    TM TP EF 47* 52* 56* 60* T.I. X100/S400
    TM Tour Issue Murdered Spider Blade
  • KevCannonKevCannon ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 48 ClubWRX
    Diamana DF launches mid, AD TP, AD GP will launch little lower than TP for most, Aldila 2019 ATX Tour Green graphene prototype launches mid for me and very low spin. The ATX proto i am currently testing and absolutely love the feel and getting good numbers with it, probably new gamer shaft. ATX Blue proto will launch higher than green for most.Tensei Pro Blue and AV Blue as others mentioned
    GBB Rogue Subzero w/ AD TP 7x
    Rogue 3+ wood w/ AD TP 7x
    Titleist H2 21 degree w/ Tensei pro white 95tx
    Callaway X Forged 4-P w/ Project X 6.0
    Callaway MD4 50s, 54s, 58x w/ Project X 6.0
    Toulon Austin
    Srixon Z Star XV
  • KevCannonKevCannon ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 48 ClubWRX
    Oh also Fujikura Atmos TS Blue, and Fuji Ventus
    GBB Rogue Subzero w/ AD TP 7x
    Rogue 3+ wood w/ AD TP 7x
    Titleist H2 21 degree w/ Tensei pro white 95tx
    Callaway X Forged 4-P w/ Project X 6.0
    Callaway MD4 50s, 54s, 58x w/ Project X 6.0
    Toulon Austin
    Srixon Z Star XV
  • Krt22Krt22 Advanced Members Posts: 6,032 ✭✭
    KevCannon wrote:

Speeder evolution series as well depending on how you want to launch. Currently playing the Speeder evo V 757X and its a really nice mid launch profile with great feel.
    KevCannon wrote:

not a big fan of the Atmos shafts. i have tried them. We are not simpatico.
    PUTTER; RIFE Cayman
  • 5hort5tuff5hort5tuff Advanced Members Posts: 3,258 ✭✭
    Another vote for the Attas Cool. You would need to find the right X flex and tip it appropriately BUT thats one smooth shaft.
    COBRA LTD w. Hzrdus Red
    WISHON 919 w. Hzrdus Red
    TAYLORMADE Issue Aeroburner w. Tensei Blue
    PING G25 w. Tensei Blue
    PING I200 w. AWT 2.0
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth
    MannKrafted Carbon WB Rattler
    Xenon Copper Wide X
    SGC 902
    Quig you're going to go down the rabbit hole lol. With so many options and time you can spend testing, why not just throw down $100 and get fit at club champion or something and just buy whatever fits you best?
    WITB
    LTD Kai'li 70X
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    Stealth 2.0 50/10SS
    Stealth 2.0 54/12SS
    Stealth 2.0 58/10SS
    TP Black Copper Juno
    TP5X
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag
    Z1ggy16 wrote:

Quig you're going to go down the rabbit hole lol. With so many options and time you can spend testing, why not just throw down $100 and get fit at club champion or something and just buy whatever fits you best?

where is club champion?? never heard of them.
    PUTTER; RIFE Cayman
    edited March 15
    Not sure if sarcastic?
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    WITB
    LTD Kai'li 70X
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    Stealth 2.0 50/10SS
    Stealth 2.0 54/12SS
    Stealth 2.0 58/10SS
    TP Black Copper Juno
    TP5X
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag
    Z1ggy16 wrote:

Not sure if sarcastic?

If you are questioning my question about club champion, no it is not sarcastic. I did look it up and there is nothing close to me like that.
    PUTTER; RIFE Cayman
    Dang but you have access to GCQ?

Any fitters that even have GC2 but can toss HMT dots on?
    WITB
    LTD Kai'li 70X
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    Stealth 2.0 50/10SS
    Stealth 2.0 54/12SS
    Stealth 2.0 58/10SS
    TP Black Copper Juno
    TP5X
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag
  • NickJNickJ Advanced Members Posts: 77 ✭✭
    QuigleyDU wrote:

Z1ggy16 wrote:

Not sure if sarcastic?

If you are questioning my question about club champion, no it is not sarcastic. I did look it up and there is nothing close to me like that.

Thought about getting a few shafts from ShaftShack and trying them out since you have access to the GCQ?
    NickJ wrote:

QuigleyDU wrote:

Z1ggy16 wrote:

Not sure if sarcastic?

Thought about getting a few shafts from ShaftShack and trying them out since you have access to the GCQ?

Not a bad way to go. I just dont want to spend a bunch of money trying stuff only to have to spend more money to actually get it.
    PUTTER; RIFE Cayman
  • NickJNickJ Advanced Members Posts: 77 ✭✭
    But at least you’ll know. I am/was an engineer (management now). The search for the perfect driver shaft is all about eliminating variables.

I have an M4 and F8+ that weigh exactly the same down to the gram, multiple shafts that for each (M4- KKDC, Rogue 110, Pro Blue; F8+ 73x Blueboard, 60x Tensei Blue)

I know I like the Blue profile, now it’s all about finding the right ball speed, launch, and spin. Will be renting time on a TM next week. I took a few random swings on a TM at TrueSpec with the F8+ and regular Tens Blue - 118mph 275 carry, spin around 3000, weight back - and I hit the middle of the face every single time with this combo.

Ultimate point, I know the swing is there and I know I like a 45” length. Got make the sacrifice to get to where I want to be.
  • ValtielValtiel Konica-Minolta Bizhub Advanced Members Posts: 1,777 ✭✭
    Honestly if your current Tensei shaft is the actual "Pro" version then pretty much everything else will be lateral moves. All the other Mitsubishi shafts in the Blue range might be worth a try, you can also snag a Handcrafted Project X LZ for fairly cheap if you liked the Yellow, similar concept.
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]taylormade_small_logo_blk.png M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX || ksfSEag.png 915D3 8.5* Diamana Kai'li 80x
    SYalW6s.png XHot 3Deep Pro 14.5* Fujikura Motore VC 8.3 Tour Spec X [/font]| | lfBLyra.png [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]SQ2 13* Diamana [/font][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Blueboard 83x[/font]
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]lfBLyra.png Tour Issue SQ2 17* Diamana Blueboard 103x || lfBLyra.png [/font][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]SQ2 15* Diamana Blueboard 93x[/font]
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]GY1PwYf.png Anser 20* Aldila Rogue Black 110MSI 105h Tour-X || taylormade_small_logo_blk.png V-Steel 21* Project X Rifle Satin 6.5
    iDRdfVu.png MP-H4 3i 21* Project X PXi 7.0
    iDRdfVu.png MP-H4 4i 24* Project X PXi 7.0
    [/font]
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]iDRdfVu.png MP-59 4i-PW 27*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    jWakdRa.png Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    R9admPL.png SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind [/font]
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Brunswick Precision FCM 7.3 SSx1[/font]
    jWakdRa.png [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Special [/font][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]62* Black Oxide V-Grind Brunswick Precision FCM 7.3 SSx2[/font]
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]ZSoHrb9.png Santa Fe Bullseye shaft
    WITB Thread
    [/font]
    NickJ said:
    But at least you’ll know. I am/was an engineer (management now). The search for the perfect driver shaft is all about eliminating variables.

I have an M4 and F8+ that weigh exactly the same down to the gram, multiple shafts that for each (M4- KKDC, Rogue 110, Pro Blue; F8+ 73x Blueboard, 60x Tensei Blue)

I know I like the Blue profile, now it’s all about finding the right ball speed, launch, and spin. Will be renting time on a TM next week. I took a few random swings on a TM at TrueSpec with the F8+ and regular Tens Blue - 118mph 275 carry, spin around 3000, weight back - and I hit the middle of the face every single time with this combo.

Ultimate point, I know the swing is there and I know I like a 45” length. Got make the sacrifice to get to where I want to be.
    Its not, it is the AV version.
    PUTTER; RIFE Cayman
  • naws-golfernaws-golfer Advanced Members Posts: 1,578 ✭✭
    Type your commentI really liked the accra fx260 or 240 shafts, definitely mid launch but more of a mid spin shaft.
  • radimanradiman Advanced Members Posts: 4,481 ✭✭
    I don't know what numbers you are bringing to the table.  But, if you are looking for a mid launch shaft, I couldn't recommend the AD TP enough.  It is a definite improvement over the AD DI in my eyes.  
    Callaway Epic Flash 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
    Titleist 917 F3 15* Tensei Pro Blue 70 TX
    Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
    Taylormade Spider X Navy/White 35"
    Callaway MD3 54, 60, 64
    All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag
    edited March 21
    radiman said:
    I don't know what numbers you are bringing to the table.  But, if you are looking for a mid launch shaft, I couldn't recommend the AD TP enough.  It is a definite improvement over the AD DI in my eyes.  
    what numbers are you looking for? i posted I GCQUAD pic in the original post.  Plus, isnt the AD TP more of a low launch shaft? 

There are a number of GD shafts on my mind. The IZ, the BB, the MT, they are sound good. I have looked at the TP but it didnt sound like the best fit from my reading. I even thought about getting a YS7 nano. the YS7 was one of my fav shafts of all time. 
    PUTTER; RIFE Cayman
  • radimanradiman Advanced Members Posts: 4,481 ✭✭
    QuigleyDU said:
    radiman said:
    what numbers are you looking for? i posted I GCQUAD pic in the original post.  Plus, isnt the AD TP more of a low launch shaft? 

There are a number of GD shafts on my mind. The IZ, the BB, the MT, they are sound good. I have looked at the TP but it didnt sound like the best fit from my reading. I even thought about getting a YS7 nano. the YS7 was one of my fav shafts of all time. 
    Lol, still getting used to the new layout.  The picture thumbnail was below your signature for some reason.  At that speed I think it would be pretty decent.  I didn't find it to be low launching at all.  On par with other mid launch shafts I have hit like the Kai'Li and Diamana B Series.  The AD DI compared to them is what I would consider high launching.  The AD TP launched lower than that for sure, but the AD DI seemed really high to begin with.  At least in my experience.

My experience is with the 60 gram range.  
    Callaway Epic Flash 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
    Titleist 917 F3 15* Tensei Pro Blue 70 TX
    Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
    Taylormade Spider X Navy/White 35"
    Callaway MD3 54, 60, 64
    All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag
    edited March 21
    radiman said:
    QuigleyDU said:
    radiman said:

Lol, still getting used to the new layout.  The picture thumbnail was below your signature for some reason.  At that speed I think it would be pretty decent.  I didn't find it to be low launching at all.  On par with other mid launch shafts I have hit like the Kai'Li and Diamana B Series.  The AD DI compared to them is what I would consider high launching.  The AD TP launched lower than that for sure, but the AD DI seemed really high to begin with.  At least in my experience.

My experience is with the 60 gram range.  
    Thanks! I could always add a bit of loft. 
    PUTTER; RIFE Cayman