Finally, we can put the hinge and hold Mickelson crap to bed

2»
2

Comments

  • crapulacrapula Golf! Members  2028WRX Points: 234Posts: 2,028 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #32
    elthrill wrote:


    most people that are bad chippers, whats their #1 issue? CONTACT! they hit it fat or thin. all day. they cant make clean contact. whats the most effective way to clean up contact as a starting point? Get them to hit chips off 1 leg/lead leg. try it. so yes, in that sense it is 100% on lead leg. Gradually, you move to a more balanced set up, but weight is always overwhelmingly on the lead leg for chips. if you are doing it the easy/smart way. pitching is a different animal. but many great HOF wedge players play with weight way forward and keep it there for all wedge shots. it keeps your swing bottom more stable and consistent






    So do you recommend a balanced setup or 100% on the lead leg?



    You realize 100% means the other foot is essentially not touching the ground?
    Posted:
    Srixon Z 785 9.5 Project X HC HZRDUS Yellow 6.0
    Srixon Z F85 13.5 Project X HC HZRDUS Yellow 6.0
    Srixon Z H85 16 Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
    Srixon Z H85 19 Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
    Srixon Z 785 4-PW KBS Tour 120 S
    Cleveland RTX-4 52, 58 KBS Tour 120 S
    Huntington Beach Soft 11
    Srixon Yellow ZStar XV
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • chrisgilly09chrisgilly09 Members  1564WRX Points: 101Posts: 1,564 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #33
    Best part about that commercial is the guy who almost makes it from 20 feet used a claw grip to chip it...god we’re a degenerate bunch of idiots playing this game
    Posted:
  • crapulacrapula Golf! Members  2028WRX Points: 234Posts: 2,028 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #34
    elthrill wrote:


    yes, because you dont putt with your weight on the lead leg....



    and watching iteach chip off concrete doesnt help the 25 handicapper with zero athletic ability or the old lady who picks up the game at 55. iteach and monte are studs at what they do. as good of teachers as anyone Ive followed. but they are working mostly with younger players and/or players who strive to be excellent players. players that will practice consistently and generally have some skill before they go to see them.



    there is a reason those square strike wedges sell like hot cakes. its an easier way to get the ball on the green for many many players. go out to a municipal golf course in any town in america and watch the players on a tuesday morning. the vast majority of the player absolutely suck. i mean could not break 125 with 2 pencils. its easy to get a false sense of what the average golfer really is like when you hang out on WRX.




    So using the bounce is for advanced players yet you want a beginner to stand on one leg to learn how to make good contact?



    WHAT?



    When I putt the weight is favored slightly left and I hit about a degree up.
    Posted:
    Srixon Z 785 9.5 Project X HC HZRDUS Yellow 6.0
    Srixon Z F85 13.5 Project X HC HZRDUS Yellow 6.0
    Srixon Z H85 16 Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
    Srixon Z H85 19 Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
    Srixon Z 785 4-PW KBS Tour 120 S
    Cleveland RTX-4 52, 58 KBS Tour 120 S
    Huntington Beach Soft 11
    Srixon Yellow ZStar XV
  • jut111jut111 Members  1759WRX Points: 340Posts: 1,759 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #35
    elthrill wrote:


    most people that are bad chippers, whats their #1 issue? CONTACT! they hit it fat or thin. all day. they cant make clean contact. whats the most effective way to clean up contact as a starting point? Get them to hit chips off 1 leg/lead leg. try it. so yes, in that sense it is 100% on lead leg. Gradually, you move to a more balanced set up, but weight is always overwhelmingly on the lead leg for chips. if you are doing it the easy/smart way. pitching is a different animal. but many great HOF wedge players play with weight way forward and keep it there for all wedge shots. it keeps your swing bottom more stable and consistent




    One of the benefit of using the bounce is giving yourself a greater margin for error so that perfect contact isn't necessary.
    Posted:
  • elthrillelthrill Members  201WRX Points: 92Posts: 201 Fairways
    Joined:  #36
    If a person really struggles with chipping the first thing i do is have them chip with all weight on the lead leg and the trail leg back. Flamingo type position. Improvement is almost universally instant. You cant get to a scratch level chipping like that but u can **** sure eliminate 2-3 chips which are routine for bad players. Gets the ball on the green and rolling to the hole.



    And using the bounce and having weight forward are not contradictory. I do both. Quite well. Leading edge is governed by the shaft angle / hand position moreso than weight.



    Phil rodgers advocates balanced weight. I believe utley wants it forward. U can use the bounce correctly with weight all the way forward. I just spent 90 minutes doing that very thing on my practice green.
    Posted:
  • naj959naj959 Members  1084WRX Points: 141Posts: 1,084 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #37
    Currently struggling with chipping so I'll be following this thread. Nothing worse than blading it over the green three times and just picking up your ball.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • dwbostondwboston Lefty Boomers  2485WRX Points: 275Handicap: 6.5Posts: 2,485 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #38
    jut111 wrote:

    elthrill wrote:


    most people that are bad chippers, whats their #1 issue? CONTACT! they hit it fat or thin. all day. they cant make clean contact. whats the most effective way to clean up contact as a starting point? Get them to hit chips off 1 leg/lead leg. try it. so yes, in that sense it is 100% on lead leg. Gradually, you move to a more balanced set up, but weight is always overwhelmingly on the lead leg for chips. if you are doing it the easy/smart way. pitching is a different animal. but many great HOF wedge players play with weight way forward and keep it there for all wedge shots. it keeps your swing bottom more stable and consistent




    One of the benefit of using the bounce is giving yourself a greater margin for error so that perfect contact isn't necessary.




    Stop, you're making too much sense.
    Posted:
    Titleist TS2 10.5*, GD AD DI 7S | Titleist 915F 16.5*, GD AD DI 8S | Titleist 915 H 21*, GD AD HY 95S
    Miura LH CB, 4-PW, Recoil Proto 125 F4 | Miura 52.06 | Miura 56.10 | Miura 60.09
    Byron Morgan 006 flow neck, 34"/350g
  • elthrillelthrill Members  201WRX Points: 92Posts: 201 Fairways
    Joined:  #39
    Bounce is always ur friend. But "using the bounce" creates a mental image that is a bit confusing similar to "hinge and hold". Thats all i was saying.



    No big deal. Use what gets the ball in the hole. Beautiful game and so many ways to play it.
    Posted:
  • bogeyprobogeypro The Original Bogeypro ALClubWRX  3499WRX Points: 402Handicap: +1Posts: 3,499 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #40
    Depends on the shot. Hinge and hold not for every shot. It can be useful for certain shots, but not all.
    Posted:
    Taylormade sim max driver 
    Taylormade m6 3 wood
    Callaway apex pro 3, 4, 5
    Callaway apex mb 6-pw
    Callaway md5 52/58
    Putters vary... 
  • iteachgolfiteachgolf Members  17148WRX Points: 1,345Posts: 17,148 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #41
    dwboston wrote:

    elthrill wrote:

    dwboston wrote:

    elthrill wrote:


    personally i think the whole "use the bounce" image is just as bad. that gets people too shallow and will lead to bladed chips all day.




    I disagree with this 100%. I don't think bladed chips are from being too shallow, they're from a bad setup, or something else you're doing in the motion of the swing that doesn't let you control your low point consistently. "Too shallow" isn't the issue.




    sure it can. ever played in texas on baked out courses? you have to have a downward angle of attack on chips. and weight on lead leg is to create steepness and get the low point forward. i dont care what the bounce is on your wedge. try using your bounce on concrete and hitting a soft little pitch. thats what it can be like in texas and oklahoma in summertime. i understand the use the bounce imagery and i understand what monte/iteach teaches. watched both their short game videos extensively. its a good method. their method is a derivative of tom pernice/siekmann which is the amazing for creating a soft landing and toss trajectory. i like it a lot for pitching. i think their are simpler ways to teach chipping, personally. i think a simple putting stroke, driver by the chest and shoulers, with weight 100% on the lead leg is the easiest way to accurately chip the ball in all conditions.




    I'm not trying to argue with you, but you're flat out wrong. I've seen Monte hit chips in person off a cart path with a wedge with some bounce on it. Dan Carraher does the same thing to demonstrate his method. You don't blade it from being too shallow, you blade it by stalling the trail arm and having the leading edge of the club come up into the ball. Mickelson even says that in the H&H videos.



    Use whatever method works for you, but stop making blanket statements about what causes certain faults/flaws when it's been demonstrated to be false by multiple respected instructors and players.




    You can blade it easily from being too shallow plenty that blade it are actually ascending through impact. The leading edge coming up is the club actually hitting up on it, which is too shallow.





    I think you guys are using the term shallow to mean different things
    Posted:
  • dwbostondwboston Lefty Boomers  2485WRX Points: 275Handicap: 6.5Posts: 2,485 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  edited Mar 15, 2019 #42
    iteachgolf wrote:

    dwboston wrote:

    elthrill wrote:

    dwboston wrote:

    elthrill wrote:


    personally i think the whole "use the bounce" image is just as bad. that gets people too shallow and will lead to bladed chips all day.




    I disagree with this 100%. I don't think bladed chips are from being too shallow, they're from a bad setup, or something else you're doing in the motion of the swing that doesn't let you control your low point consistently. "Too shallow" isn't the issue.




    sure it can. ever played in texas on baked out courses? you have to have a downward angle of attack on chips. and weight on lead leg is to create steepness and get the low point forward. i dont care what the bounce is on your wedge. try using your bounce on concrete and hitting a soft little pitch. thats what it can be like in texas and oklahoma in summertime. i understand the use the bounce imagery and i understand what monte/iteach teaches. watched both their short game videos extensively. its a good method. their method is a derivative of tom pernice/siekmann which is the amazing for creating a soft landing and toss trajectory. i like it a lot for pitching. i think their are simpler ways to teach chipping, personally. i think a simple putting stroke, driver by the chest and shoulers, with weight 100% on the lead leg is the easiest way to accurately chip the ball in all conditions.




    I'm not trying to argue with you, but you're flat out wrong. I've seen Monte hit chips in person off a cart path with a wedge with some bounce on it. Dan Carraher does the same thing to demonstrate his method. You don't blade it from being too shallow, you blade it by stalling the trail arm and having the leading edge of the club come up into the ball. Mickelson even says that in the H&H videos.



    Use whatever method works for you, but stop making blanket statements about what causes certain faults/flaws when it's been demonstrated to be false by multiple respected instructors and players.




    You can blade it easily from being too shallow plenty that blade it are actually ascending through impact. The leading edge coming up is the club actually hitting up on it, which is too shallow.





    I think you guys are using the term shallow to mean different things




    Thanks Dan. It seems he and I are talking about different things. In my personal experience, I don't recall blading a pitch after switching to Monte's use the bounce method. My miss is heavy.
    Posted:
    Titleist TS2 10.5*, GD AD DI 7S | Titleist 915F 16.5*, GD AD DI 8S | Titleist 915 H 21*, GD AD HY 95S
    Miura LH CB, 4-PW, Recoil Proto 125 F4 | Miura 52.06 | Miura 56.10 | Miura 60.09
    Byron Morgan 006 flow neck, 34"/350g
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers  6795WRX Points: 1,176Handicap: 7.7Posts: 6,795 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #43
    naj959 wrote:


    Currently struggling with chipping so I'll be following this thread. Nothing worse than blading it over the green three times and just picking up your ball.




    Give this a try.



    Whatever method you use, whether it's a "putting" type stroke or whether you hinge slightly, or whether you "use the bounce" (whatever that means),,,,,,,,,,,,, with the ball slightly behind the center of your stance and your weight mostly to your front side, once you complete your "backswing", do not let the club head "make up any ground" in catching up to the hands through contact.



    You might also want to "rock the shoulders", as it what most(?) putting gurus suggest, and keep you arms out of it.



    Hope this helps.
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G400 19* hybrid Stiff 70 Stock shaft

    Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 48*, 52* 56*, 60* DGS300
    Taylormade Spider-X Copper (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX

  • TheGoochTheGooch Members  97WRX Points: 84Posts: 97 Fairways
    Joined:  #44
    More people should use putting motion 7 iron around greens and see scores go down.
    Posted:
    Cobra F8 9*
    Callaway Rogue 3-Wood 15*
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20*
    Callaway Apex CF16 5 - GW
    Ping Glide 56SS
    Tommy Armour Impact #3
  • mukstermukster A lot can happen in a year. North of the 49thMembers  3700WRX Points: 456Posts: 3,700 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #45
    elthrill said:
    yes, because you dont putt with your weight on the lead leg....



    and watching iteach chip off concrete doesnt help the 25 handicapper with zero athletic ability or the old lady who picks up the game at 55. iteach and monte are studs at what they do. as good of teachers as anyone Ive followed. but they are working mostly with younger players and/or players who strive to be excellent players. players that will practice consistently and generally have some skill before they go to see them.



    there is a reason those square strike wedges sell like hot cakes. its an easier way to get the ball on the green for many many players. go out to a municipal golf course in any town in america and watch the players on a tuesday morning. the vast majority of the player absolutely suck. i mean could not break 125 with 2 pencils. its easy to get a false sense of what the average golfer really is like when you hang out on WRX.
    If you keep referring to a a 55 year old woman as "the old lady",  "balls rocketing across the green" may take on a whole new meaning for you. :)
    Posted:
    Callaway XR16 driver, 9 degrees, Diamana S+ shaft
    Callaway Epic 3 Wood , Fubuki Z65 shaft
    Mizuno ST180 5 wood,  Tensei CK Blue shaft
    Cobra F8 22* hybrid
    Srixon Z765 5-PW irons
    , KBS Tour V shafts
    Srixon A wedge 51° bent to 50°
    Hogan Equalizer 54* wedge
    Mizuno S18 58* wedge
    Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter
  • jth3333jth3333 Members  269WRX Points: 75Posts: 269 Greens
    Joined:  #46
    I think people run into trouble when they think hinge and hold means hold the lead arm.If you hinge and then hold the initial angle while letting the lead arm swing all is good.
    Posted:
  • naj959naj959 Members  1084WRX Points: 141Posts: 1,084 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #47

    On -, @nsxguy said:

    naj959 wrote:

    Currently struggling with chipping so I'll be following this thread. Nothing worse than blading it over the green three times and just picking up your ball.

    Give this a try.

    Whatever method you use, whether it's a "putting" type stroke or whether you hinge slightly, or whether you "use the bounce" (whatever that means),,,,,,,,,,,,, with the ball slightly behind the center of your stance and your weight mostly to your front side, once you complete your "backswing", do not let the club head "make up any ground" in catching up to the hands through contact.

    You might also want to "rock the shoulders", as it what most(?) putting gurus suggest, and keep you arms out of it.

    Hope this helps.

    Wow this may have been some of the best advice I've ever gotten on chipping and I have both Monte's and Dan's videos. The key for me was "do not let the club head make up any ground". For whatever reason, that wording just clicked in my brain. I think previously I was trying to accelerate the clubhead into the ball which ruined the geometry and sequence. Now I feel like I rock my shoulders with a slight wrist hinge and keep the relationship between clubehead and hands constant. This makes me rotate through the ball and thump the ground with the bounce hard without thinking about doing either. I guess it's a hinge and turn if you will. I think the chunks and blades are gone for good. Pure Gold! Thank you

    On -, @nsxguy !
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • 27x10.527x10.5 Members  1001WRX Points: 139Posts: 1,001 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #48

    On -, @elthrill said:

    most people that are bad chippers, whats their #1 issue? CONTACT! they hit it fat or thin. all day. they cant make clean contact. whats the most effective way to clean up contact as a starting point? Get them to hit chips off 1 leg/lead leg. try it. so yes, in that sense it is 100% on lead leg. Gradually, you move to a more balanced set up, but weight is always overwhelmingly on the lead leg for chips. if you are doing it the easy/smart way. pitching is a different animal. but many great HOF wedge players play with weight way forward and keep it there for all wedge shots. it keeps your swing bottom more stable and consistent

    Give them an 8 iron

    Posted:
  • PowderedToastManPowderedToastMan Members  4235WRX Points: 1,415Posts: 4,235 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #49

    First of all, you should never put **** in a bed.

    Posted:
    Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being. Reformed club ho.

    In the bag:

    PING. Lots of PING.
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers  6795WRX Points: 1,176Handicap: 7.7Posts: 6,795 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Mar 23, 2019 #50

    On -, @naj959 said:

    On -, @nsxguy said:

    naj959 wrote:

    Currently struggling with chipping so I'll be following this thread. Nothing worse than blading it over the green three times and just picking up your ball.

    Give this a try.

    Whatever method you use, whether it's a "putting" type stroke or whether you hinge slightly, or whether you "use the bounce" (whatever that means),,,,,,,,,,,,, with the ball slightly behind the center of your stance and your weight mostly to your front side, once you complete your "backswing", do not let the club head "make up any ground" in catching up to the hands through contact.

    You might also want to "rock the shoulders", as it what most(?) putting gurus suggest, and keep you arms out of it.

    Hope this helps.

    Wow this may have been some of the best advice I've ever gotten on chipping and I have both Monte's and Dan's videos. The key for me was "do not let the club head make up any ground". For whatever reason, that wording just clicked in my brain. I think previously I was trying to accelerate the clubhead into the ball which ruined the geometry and sequence. Now I feel like I rock my shoulders with a slight wrist hinge and keep the relationship between clubehead and hands constant. This makes me rotate through the ball and thump the ground with the bounce hard without thinking about doing either. I guess it's a hinge and turn if you will. I think the chunks and blades are gone for good. Pure Gold! Thank you

    On -, @nsxguy !

    Glad this helps you. I started it about 3(?) years ago and it's made me a much better chipper of the ball.

    I see some high handicappers, often older guys, that "flip" all the time,,,,,,, on most every shot,,,,,,, and wonder why they can't get better or at least more consistent. People hate to have suggestions made to them (so I usually don't) but sometimes I can't help it. Then again, some of them just don't care to take the time to learn something new.

    Oh well.

    Posted:
    Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G400 19* hybrid Stiff 70 Stock shaft

    Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 48*, 52* 56*, 60* DGS300
    Taylormade Spider-X Copper (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX

2

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.