ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Will the college admissions scam hit the Tour PLAYERS?

KonkliferKonklifer Thinkin' of a master plan...Advanced Members Posts: 7,604 ✭✭
edited March 15 in Tour Talk
Post edited by Unknown User on
PING G400 Max 10°
PING G400 16.5°
PING G400 hybrid 19°
PING i25 hybrid 22°
Callaway XHP 5-AW
PING Glide 2.0 Stealth, 54° SS, 58° ES
Kevin Burns 9306
Snell MTB Red Optic Yellow
«134

Comments

  • LlortamaiseyLlortamaisey Advanced Members Posts: 5,861
    I know my dad would always tell me it would have been cheaper to donate money to my college to get me on the golf team instead of what junior golf cost. Thankfully he didn’t know Mr. Singer.
  • MaximilianMaximilian Advanced Members Posts: 1,299 ✭✭
    This doesn’t look great for Phil.
  • disco111disco111 Advanced Members Posts: 932 ✭✭
    Maybe Choo got caught up in it, haven't heard from him since his Molinari prediction.............. image/scare2.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':scare2:' />
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Advanced Members Posts: 11,364 ✭✭
    Wouldn't surprise me



    Would be entertaining to see if a fella caught in the Jupiter sting gets nabbed in this as well
    Ping G400 LST 11* Mitsu TI BB Matte 53x
    Callaway GBB 3w 14* Mitsu Blueboard 63x
    Ping G400 5w 17* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Callaway V-series Hwood Fuji TS 8.2s
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fujikura 904HBs
    Ping Rapture 5-PW Aldila NV MLTi Pro105x
    Ping iWedge 50* Aldila NV 105x
    Ping Zing 2 BeCu s2 54.5* & s3 57.5*
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff The GOAT Advanced Members Posts: 27,949 ✭✭
    I suppose it's possible or even likely Phil did nothing wrong and is getting ahead of this. Because it could have come out eventually that he used him and if he hadn't denounced this first it would maybe be a presumed guilty thing
    Cobra F8+ 8.5 w/ Aldila NV 2KXV 65
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w//Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56,60 w/S300
    Odyssey O-works #7 Red Tank
  • MaximilianMaximilian Advanced Members Posts: 1,299 ✭✭
    Of course it’s going to come up, otherwise he would never write this publicly. Had he never been accused of insider trading, there would probably be a larger percentage of people believing him too.
  • lumberman2462lumberman2462 Advanced Members Posts: 5,297 ✭✭
    I’m stumped about one thing. Aunt Becky purportedly gave somebody $500,000 to get her kid into USC. Wouldn’t that be enough of a donation paid directly to USC to make it all work?



    Phil is getting out ahead of this thing and offensive PR is usually done for a reason.



    I see this deal getting bigger and ensnaring a lot more people.



    SYard T388
    TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
    Miura CB-57 3-PW
    Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
    Old Titleist Blade
  • tatertottatertot Advanced Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭
    Phil used it for his 3 kids ... said he had no idea any of this was going on and colleges are "fighting" for his kids.



    Who knows ... if they're that in demand, why pay for somebody to help.



    He said it was to cut through the confusion. Money corrupts, but we'll probably never know. Phil seems like the kind of guy that doesn't mind cutting a few corners.
    Driver: Adams Speedline Fast 11, 9°
    Fairway: Adams Fast 10, 15*
    Irons: Ping i200 3 iron, Ping iE1 4-PW
    Wedges: Titleist SM7, 48º; Titleist SM5, 54º & 58º
    Putter: Cleveland Classics Huntington Beach #1, 35"
  • BottleCapBottleCap Advanced Members Posts: 1,202 ✭✭
    Phil's kid went to a fancy private school that already offered college admission services.



    Why else would he be involved with these folks?
    Taylormade M3 440 Tensei CK Pro Blue 70S
    Titleist 917F3 15 GD TourAD BB 8S
    Mizuno MP-18 3-PW DG S400
    Vokey SM6 54S and 60K
    Cameron Newport 2 CT
    Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Advanced Members Posts: 741 ✭✭


    I’m stumped about one thing. Aunt Becky purportedly gave somebody $500,000 to get her kid into USC. Wouldn’t that be enough of a donation paid directly to USC to make it all work?



    Phil is getting out ahead of this thing and offensive PR is usually done for a reason.



    I see this deal getting bigger and ensnaring a lot more people.




    It was $500K for two kids. The cost to go to USC (counting books, living expenses and tuition) is estimated at $70,000/year. So, they didn't pony up enough to USC directly and therefore had to bribe the crew coach.
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 14,330 ClubWRX
    I want to know who at the university is collecting all that money? I assume that’s the person in a boatload of trouble.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • lumberman2462lumberman2462 Advanced Members Posts: 5,297 ✭✭
    wildcatden wrote:



    I’m stumped about one thing. Aunt Becky purportedly gave somebody $500,000 to get her kid into USC. Wouldn’t that be enough of a donation paid directly to USC to make it all work?



    Phil is getting out ahead of this thing and offensive PR is usually done for a reason.



    I see this deal getting bigger and ensnaring a lot more people.




    It was $500K for two kids. The cost to go to USC (counting books, living expenses and tuition) is estimated at $70,000/year. So, they didn't pony up enough to USC directly and therefore had to bribe the crew coach.




    Or they had to bribe the coach because their test scores weren’t good enough for general admission but were high enough for the athlete exemption.
    SYard T388
    TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
    Miura CB-57 3-PW
    Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
    Old Titleist Blade
  • tatertottatertot Advanced Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭
    BottleCap wrote:


    Phil's kid went to a fancy private school that already offered college admission services.



    Why else would he be involved with these folks?




    These guys were above and beyond ... they even had a letter of recommendation from the Mickelsons on their website.


    wildcatden wrote:



    I’m stumped about one thing. Aunt Becky purportedly gave somebody $500,000 to get her kid into USC. Wouldn’t that be enough of a donation paid directly to USC to make it all work?



    Phil is getting out ahead of this thing and offensive PR is usually done for a reason.



    I see this deal getting bigger and ensnaring a lot more people.




    It was $500K for two kids. The cost to go to USC (counting books, living expenses and tuition) is estimated at $70,000/year. So, they didn't pony up enough to USC directly and therefore had to bribe the crew coach.




    Or they had to bribe the coach because their test scores weren’t good enough for general admission but were high enough for the athlete exemption.




    Or somebody took the tests for them.
    Driver: Adams Speedline Fast 11, 9°
    Fairway: Adams Fast 10, 15*
    Irons: Ping i200 3 iron, Ping iE1 4-PW
    Wedges: Titleist SM7, 48º; Titleist SM5, 54º & 58º
    Putter: Cleveland Classics Huntington Beach #1, 35"
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff The GOAT Advanced Members Posts: 27,949 ✭✭
    tatertot wrote:

    BottleCap wrote:


    Phil's kid went to a fancy private school that already offered college admission services.



    Why else would he be involved with these folks?




    These guys were above and beyond ... they even had a letter of recommendation from the Mickelsons on their website.




    Did this firm actually do any legitimate things? I don't know a ton about them, were they like a coaching agency for exams?



    Or were they just like some big bribery ring?
    Cobra F8+ 8.5 w/ Aldila NV 2KXV 65
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w//Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56,60 w/S300
    Odyssey O-works #7 Red Tank
  • imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy... Advanced Members Posts: 12,373
    Romans used to say: escusatio non petita, accusatio manifesta
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 14,330 ClubWRX
    Did you hear the snippet of interview with Aunt Becky’s daughter. Flat out said she doesn’t want to study, just party.



    Wish I was rhe admissions offer, it would put have taken so much cash for Aunt Becky to get what she wanted!��❤️
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • tatertottatertot Advanced Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭
    MtlJeff wrote:

    tatertot wrote:

    BottleCap wrote:


    Phil's kid went to a fancy private school that already offered college admission services.



    Why else would he be involved with these folks?




    These guys were above and beyond ... they even had a letter of recommendation from the Mickelsons on their website.




    Did this firm actually do any legitimate things? I don't know a ton about them, were they like a coaching agency for exams?



    Or were they just like some big bribery ring?




    According to Phil, they coach the kids for the tests and help parents through the college selection process.



    Phil said his kids get outstanding grades, test well, have awesome extracurriculars, have great "world views" (don't know what that means) and Universities were competing for them ... the only reason he used the agency was to cut through the "confusion" of choosing the right college.
    Driver: Adams Speedline Fast 11, 9°
    Fairway: Adams Fast 10, 15*
    Irons: Ping i200 3 iron, Ping iE1 4-PW
    Wedges: Titleist SM7, 48º; Titleist SM5, 54º & 58º
    Putter: Cleveland Classics Huntington Beach #1, 35"
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 16,729 ClubWRX
    Gee, I just don't know - was Willie Park, Jr. really Jack the Ripper?

    Maximilian wrote:


    This doesn't look great for Phil.




    Really? Because he wasn't involved? Oh boy.
  • nohny nokenohny noke Advanced Members Posts: 2,048 ✭✭


    I want to know who at the university is collecting all that money? I assume that’s the person in a boatload of trouble.




    I don't think any university admissions people were named in the indictment.



    Collegiate coaches were, however.
  • MaximilianMaximilian Advanced Members Posts: 1,299 ✭✭
    Hawkeye77 wrote:


    Gee, I just don't know - was Willie Park, Jr. really Jack the Ripper?


    Maximilian wrote:


    This doesn't look great for Phil.




    Really? Because he wasn't involved? Oh boy.




    Not sure what you mean? No, it doesn’t look good for him. I’m not saying he didn’t know what this guy was up to if that’s what you think.
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 14,330 ClubWRX
    nohny noke wrote:



    I want to know who at the university is collecting all that money? I assume that’s the person in a boatload of trouble.




    I don't think any university admissions people were named in the indictment.



    Collegiate coaches were, however.




    Were Loughlin’s kids involved in athletics?
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • BottleCapBottleCap Advanced Members Posts: 1,202 ✭✭

    nohny noke wrote:



    I want to know who at the university is collecting all that money? I assume that’s the person in a boatload of trouble.




    I don't think any university admissions people were named in the indictment.



    Collegiate coaches were, however.




    Were Loughlin’s kids involved in athletics?




    They also helped kids raise their test scores by bribing proctors.



    I didn't see any details yet of what the proctors did for the money.
    Taylormade M3 440 Tensei CK Pro Blue 70S
    Titleist 917F3 15 GD TourAD BB 8S
    Mizuno MP-18 3-PW DG S400
    Vokey SM6 54S and 60K
    Cameron Newport 2 CT
    Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • nohny nokenohny noke Advanced Members Posts: 2,048 ✭✭
    Why are Phil and Amy so confused about the college admissions process?



    Shouldn't it be easier for the person with loads of money to choose where to send their kids to university? The Mickelsons can afford any college on the planet. There are no bad options for people like that.



    What bad luck for them that they just happened to choose the tutoring company named in the biggest ever collegiate admissions scandal.
  • kmbeankmbean Advanced Members Posts: 909 ✭✭
    FIGJAM OG

    FIGJAM Jr

    FIGJAM II

    FIGJAM III
  • golfgirlrobingolfgirlrobin Advanced Members Posts: 2,253 ✭✭
    Maximilian wrote:


    This doesn’t look great for Phil.




    Disagree. He knows that having used the company will mean his name gets dragged into this, regardless of whether his kids bought special treatment or they just used them to organize the admissions process. Why not get out ahead of the story?



    The Feds are perp walking any big name they can find in this thing. If the Mickelson’s name was implicated in any kind of nefarious way, you’d have already heard about it.
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5*
    Fairway: Epic Flash 14* & 20*
    Hybrid: Ping G410 22*
    Irons: TaylorMade M CGB 6-SW
    Wedges: Callaway 2019 PM Grind 59* and 64*
    Putter: TaylorMade Spider X - Copper / Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
  • MaximilianMaximilian Advanced Members Posts: 1,299 ✭✭

    Maximilian wrote:


    This doesn’t look great for Phil.




    Disagree. He knows that having used the company will mean his name gets dragged into this, regardless of whether his kids bought special treatment or they just used them to organize the admissions process. Why not get out ahead of the story?



    The Feds are perp walking any big name they can find in this thing. If the Mickelson’s name was implicated in any kind of nefarious way, you’d have already heard about it.




    Actually, we totally agree.



    I’m not sure what everyone is reading into my comment saying that it doesn’t look good for him? Do you people think this is positive PR for him? Lol
  • golfgirlrobingolfgirlrobin Advanced Members Posts: 2,253 ✭✭
    nohny noke wrote:


    Why are Phil and Amy so confused about the college admissions process?



    Shouldn't it be easier for the person with loads of money to choose where to send their kids to university? The Mickelsons can afford any college on the planet. There are no bad options for people like that.



    What bad luck for them that they just happened to choose the tutoring company named in the biggest ever collegiate admissions scandal.




    Because it’s a confusing process? Apply to half a dozen colleges, each with a different application process, requirements and cut-off dates and it’s a lot more work than you’d think.



    I used a service when I was applying to law schools. Help with LSAT prep, help with tailoring essays to specific schools, putting together and submitting app packages. It was a big help and took a lot of stress off of me. Worth every penny.
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5*
    Fairway: Epic Flash 14* & 20*
    Hybrid: Ping G410 22*
    Irons: TaylorMade M CGB 6-SW
    Wedges: Callaway 2019 PM Grind 59* and 64*
    Putter: TaylorMade Spider X - Copper / Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
  • nohny nokenohny noke Advanced Members Posts: 2,048 ✭✭
    Maximilian wrote:


    Maximilian wrote:


    This doesn't look great for Phil.




    Disagree. He knows that having used the company will mean his name gets dragged into this, regardless of whether his kids bought special treatment or they just used them to organize the admissions process. Why not get out ahead of the story?



    The Feds are perp walking any big name they can find in this thing. If the Mickelson's name was implicated in any kind of nefarious way, you'd have already heard about it.




    Actually, we totally agree.



    I'm not sure what everyone is reading into my comment saying that it doesn't look good for him? Do you people think this is positive PR for him? Lol




    Maybe we can all agree that



    "this is not a great look for Phil"



    I think people are misreading your original statement to mean that Phil is in trouble; doesn't look good for him.
  • J13J13 Dad golf Advanced Members Posts: 15,230 ✭✭
    edited March 14
    Phil getting ahead of this is a smart thing to do. I wonder if Kuchar is as well.......no wait he's too cheap image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' /> With that said, whoever is guilty I hope they get a nice stint in jail. The odds are already stacked against the majority of kids in this country and now this confirmation of a rigged system just proves what most already knew. I love that these things are coming to light. Karma is a b****
    Ping G400 LST 8.5* / Xphlexxx Modena F7 Prototype 7TX
    Nike VR Pro LTD 15* / Aldila RIP 80X
    Srixon 745's 4-PW / Modus Tour 120 TX
    Callaway MD3 50, 54, 60 / Modus 125
    Odyssey White Hot Versa #6 Tour issue
    Srixon Zstar XV


    GolfWRX WITB Podcast - Irons reveal 11/14/18 http://www.golfwrx.c...utm_content=sub

    GolfWrx WITB Podcast 2017 : http://www.golfwrx.com/482668/tgtg-golfwrx-forum-member-j13-talks-witb-and-club-testing/

    WITB- http://www.golfwrx.c.../page__st__1590

    INSTAGRAM- @Jminis13
  • nohny nokenohny noke Advanced Members Posts: 2,048 ✭✭

    nohny noke wrote:


    Why are Phil and Amy so confused about the college admissions process?



    Shouldn't it be easier for the person with loads of money to choose where to send their kids to university? The Mickelsons can afford any college on the planet. There are no bad options for people like that.



    What bad luck for them that they just happened to choose the tutoring company named in the biggest ever collegiate admissions scandal.




    Because it’s a confusing process? Apply to half a dozen colleges, each with a different application process, requirements and cut-off dates and it’s a lot more work than you’d think.



    I used a service when I was applying to law schools. Help with LSAT prep, help with tailoring essays to specific schools, putting together and submitting app packages. It was a big help and took a lot of stress off of me. Worth every penny.




    Ok.



    Looks like you are in CA. Just out of curiosity - had you heard of the admissions prep company named in the indictment? I'm not trying to imply anything, just wondering how well-known this firm was.
  • hell_is_chromehell_is_chrome Advanced Members Posts: 895 ✭✭


    I want to know who at the university is collecting all that money? I assume that’s the person in a boatload of trouble.




    It was coaches and other people outside the university being bribed. I don't believe it was anyone within admissions offices or anyone else.
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 16,729 ClubWRX
    Maximilian wrote:


    Maximilian wrote:


    This doesn't look great for Phil.




    Disagree. He knows that having used the company will mean his name gets dragged into this, regardless of whether his kids bought special treatment or they just used them to organize the admissions process. Why not get out ahead of the story?



    The Feds are perp walking any big name they can find in this thing. If the Mickelson's name was implicated in any kind of nefarious way, you'd have already heard about it.




    Actually, we totally agree.



    I'm not sure what everyone is reading into my comment saying that it doesn't look good for him? Do you people think this is positive PR for him? Lol




    It's a nothing for him.
  • nohny nokenohny noke Advanced Members Posts: 2,048 ✭✭



    I want to know who at the university is collecting all that money? I assume that’s the person in a boatload of trouble.




    It was coaches and other people outside the university being bribed. I don't believe it was anyone within admissions offices or anyone else.




    Right. And it seems like the kids didn't even know! Wow.
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 16,729 ClubWRX
    edited March 14

    nohny noke wrote:



    I want to know who at the university is collecting all that money? I assume that’s the person in a boatload of trouble.




    I don't think any university admissions people were named in the indictment.



    Collegiate coaches were, however.




    Were Loughlin’s kids involved in athletics?




    LOL, they bribed the crew coach to get her daughter in on a rowing scholarship (photo of her on a rowing machine!) even though she had never participated in the sport. You just can't make up how weird some of this is.
  • nohny nokenohny noke Advanced Members Posts: 2,048 ✭✭
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

    Maximilian wrote:


    Maximilian wrote:


    This doesn't look great for Phil.




    Disagree. He knows that having used the company will mean his name gets dragged into this, regardless of whether his kids bought special treatment or they just used them to organize the admissions process. Why not get out ahead of the story?



    The Feds are perp walking any big name they can find in this thing. If the Mickelson's name was implicated in any kind of nefarious way, you'd have already heard about it.




    Actually, we totally agree.



    I'm not sure what everyone is reading into my comment saying that it doesn't look good for him? Do you people think this is positive PR for him? Lol




    It's a nothing for him.




    Just like his insider trading escape.
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 16,729 ClubWRX
    nohny noke wrote:




    I want to know who at the university is collecting all that money? I assume that’s the person in a boatload of trouble.




    It was coaches and other people outside the university being bribed. I don't believe it was anyone within admissions offices or anyone else.




    Right. And it seems like the kids didn't even know! Wow.




    The kids most certainly did know in many cases.

    nohny noke wrote:

    Hawkeye77 wrote:

    Maximilian wrote:


    Maximilian wrote:


    This doesn't look great for Phil.




    Disagree. He knows that having used the company will mean his name gets dragged into this, regardless of whether his kids bought special treatment or they just used them to organize the admissions process. Why not get out ahead of the story?



    The Feds are perp walking any big name they can find in this thing. If the Mickelson's name was implicated in any kind of nefarious way, you'd have already heard about it.




    Actually, we totally agree.



    I'm not sure what everyone is reading into my comment saying that it doesn't look good for him? Do you people think this is positive PR for him? Lol




    It's a nothing for him.




    Just like his insider trading escape.




    Stuff it. Nothing like that at all.
  • MaximilianMaximilian Advanced Members Posts: 1,299 ✭✭
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

    Maximilian wrote:


    Maximilian wrote:


    This doesn't look great for Phil.




    Disagree. He knows that having used the company will mean his name gets dragged into this, regardless of whether his kids bought special treatment or they just used them to organize the admissions process. Why not get out ahead of the story?



    The Feds are perp walking any big name they can find in this thing. If the Mickelson's name was implicated in any kind of nefarious way, you'd have already heard about it.




    Actually, we totally agree.



    I'm not sure what everyone is reading into my comment saying that it doesn't look good for him? Do you people think this is positive PR for him? Lol




    It's a nothing for him.


    That however, I disagree with. This is going to be talked about.
  • hell_is_chromehell_is_chrome Advanced Members Posts: 895 ✭✭
    edited March 14
    nohny noke wrote:




    I want to know who at the university is collecting all that money? I assume that’s the person in a boatload of trouble.




    It was coaches and other people outside the university being bribed. I don't believe it was anyone within admissions offices or anyone else.




    Right. And it seems like the kids didn't even know! Wow.




    Some of them had to know considering a few were getting ACT/SAT tests taken for them or getting extra time because of their "learning disability" (which was suddenly diagnosed right before the test). I hope this doesn't effect students who truly do have learning disabilities.
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 16,729 ClubWRX
    Maximilian wrote:

    Hawkeye77 wrote:

    Maximilian wrote:


    Maximilian wrote:


    This doesn't look great for Phil.




    Disagree. He knows that having used the company will mean his name gets dragged into this, regardless of whether his kids bought special treatment or they just used them to organize the admissions process. Why not get out ahead of the story?



    The Feds are perp walking any big name they can find in this thing. If the Mickelson's name was implicated in any kind of nefarious way, you'd have already heard about it.




    Actually, we totally agree.



    I'm not sure what everyone is reading into my comment saying that it doesn't look good for him? Do you people think this is positive PR for him? Lol




    It's a nothing for him.


    That however, I disagree with. This is going to be talked about.




    Ooooooooh.
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 16,729 ClubWRX
    Yep, the idea the kids didn't know won't hold much as an argument, especially the fake athletes and the ones who faked their disabilities, and on and on.
  • BlackDiamondPar5BlackDiamondPar5 Advanced Members Posts: 5,022 ✭✭
    If Phil wanted to get a kid in a particular college he'd just build them a library or research wing or something. Of course those kind of shenanigans are legal.
  • Pat du GolfPat du Golf Advanced Members Posts: 552
    Tic tac tic tac......
    Mizuno MP 37 3i-pw
    Mizuno MP 64 3i -pw
    Ping G25
    Scotty Newport
    Cleveland wedges
    Prov1x
  • hell_is_chromehell_is_chrome Advanced Members Posts: 895 ✭✭
    Hawkeye77 wrote:


    Yep, the idea the kids didn't know won't hold much as an argument, especially the fake athletes and the ones who faked their disabilities, and on and on.




    The fake recruited athlete aspect was the wildest part of this story.
  • OldboyOldboy Advanced Members Posts: 2,369 ✭✭
    edited March 14
    this is some seriuosly f'd up ish .. everyone of these kids should be expelled .. and the parents should go to jail for fraud .. the wealthy and privileged thinking they can just cheat and game the system and f everyone else .. tsk tsk .. it'll get underreported cos of the names of some of the families that are and will be involved .. no golf coaches implicated yet .. so there's that
  • MaximilianMaximilian Advanced Members Posts: 1,299 ✭✭
    “These guys are good!”
  • extrastiffextrastiff Advanced Members Posts: 855 ✭✭
    edited March 14
    nohny noke wrote:



    I want to know who at the university is collecting all that money? I assume that’s the person in a boatload of trouble.




    I don't think any university admissions people were named in the indictment.



    Collegiate coaches were, however.
    celebrities were purposefully "chosen" imo as scapegoats so we would all be distracted from the fact that universities promote/accept these practices, both illegally, as well as through legacy institutions.



    The scam has hit the tour, money creates opportunity for many college golfers. But I doubt this "scam" will spread... to many institutions will fight to contain it
    g400 max 9* | hzrdus black 75 6.5
    f8 15* | hzrdus black 75 6.5
    p790 4i | steelfiber 95x
    black utility onelength 22.5*, 26* | steelfiber 110x
    forged onelength 6i | steelfiber 110x
    p730 7i-pw | steelfiber 110x
    hi-toe 52*9, 56*8, 62*5 | steelfiber 110x
    columbus
    jumbomax tour medium grips
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 14,330 ClubWRX
    Hawkeye77 wrote:


    Yep, the idea the kids didn't know won't hold much as an argument, especially the fake athletes and the ones who faked their disabilities, and on and on.




    I guess I don’t get as outraged as some since there is such an abundance of “students” attending college just to bide their time until the NFL or NBA. They’re no more students than Loughlins daughter is an athlete.



    The money is just com8ng from a different source. TV money paid for athletic programs, or TV money paid by an actress mom.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 16,729 ClubWRX
    So, to summarize, except for anti-Phil trolling this is really about rich folks and their kids generally scamming universities and getting caught.



    Yep, absolutely nothing to do with golf.
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Advanced Members Posts: 24,214 ✭✭
    I’m not sure why people are shocked that rich folks pay for preferential treatment. Do you all just think that every rich family begats pure genius from their loins ? I mean they can’t be 5th generation legacy kids on pure intelligence. Law of averages says it can’t be.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design AD DI 8X
    Ping i500 pre-production proto 3 iron Graphite Design AD DI 105X
    Ping i500 4-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged 50 54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • extrastiffextrastiff Advanced Members Posts: 855 ✭✭

    Hawkeye77 wrote:


    Yep, the idea the kids didn't know won't hold much as an argument, especially the fake athletes and the ones who faked their disabilities, and on and on.




    I guess I don’t get as outraged as some since there is such an abundance of “students” attending college just to bide their time until the NFL or NBA. They’re no more students than Loughlins daughter is an athlete.



    The money is just com8ng from a different source. TV money paid for athletic programs, or TV money paid by an actress mom.


    Disagree that u can call the mandated (to go pro) grind of college athletics "biding" time, but yes the outrage is interesting. It is a contradictory situation.
    g400 max 9* | hzrdus black 75 6.5
    f8 15* | hzrdus black 75 6.5
    p790 4i | steelfiber 95x
    black utility onelength 22.5*, 26* | steelfiber 110x
    forged onelength 6i | steelfiber 110x
    p730 7i-pw | steelfiber 110x
    hi-toe 52*9, 56*8, 62*5 | steelfiber 110x
    columbus
    jumbomax tour medium grips
«134
Sign In or Register to comment.