Will the college admissions scam hit the Tour PLAYERS?

KonkliferKonklifer Thinkin' of a master plan...location, location.Members Posts: 7,802 ✭✭
edited Mar 15, 2019 1:12pm in Tour Talk #1
Post edited by Unknown User on
PING G400 Max 10°
PING G400 16.5°
PING G400 hybrid 19°
PING i25 hybrid 22°
Callaway XHP 5-AW
PING Glide 2.0 Stealth, 54° SS, 58° ES
Kevin Burns 9306
Snell MTB Red Optic Yellow

Comments

• LlortamaiseyLlortamaisey Members Posts: 5,875 ✭✭
    I know my dad would always tell me it would have been cheaper to donate money to my college to get me on the golf team instead of what junior golf cost. Thankfully he didn’t know Mr. Singer.
  • MaximilianMaximilian Members Posts: 1,334 ✭✭
    This doesn’t look great for Phil.
  • disco111disco111 Members Posts: 950 ✭✭
    Maybe Choo got caught up in it, haven't heard from him since his Molinari prediction.............. image/scare2.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':scare2:' />
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 11,602 ✭✭
    Wouldn't surprise me

Would be entertaining to see if a fella caught in the Jupiter sting gets nabbed in this as well
    Ping G400 LST 11* Mitsu TI BB Matte 53x
    Callaway GBB 3w 14* Mitsu Blueboard 63x
    Ping G400 5w 17* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Callaway V-series Hwood Fuji TS 8.2s
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fujikura 904HBs
    Ping Rapture 5-PW Aldila NV MLTi Pro105x
    Ping iWedge 50* Aldila NV 105x
    Ping Glide SS 53* & ES 59* Wrx SF125s
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,163 ✭✭
    I suppose it's possible or even likely Phil did nothing wrong and is getting ahead of this. Because it could have come out eventually that he used him and if he hadn't denounced this first it would maybe be a presumed guilty thing
    Ping G400 Max 9 w/ Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w//Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56,60 w/S300
    Odyssey O-works #7 Red Tank
    Of course it’s going to come up, otherwise he would never write this publicly. Had he never been accused of insider trading, there would probably be a larger percentage of people believing him too.
  • lumberman2462lumberman2462 Members Posts: 5,325 ✭✭
    I’m stumped about one thing. Aunt Becky purportedly gave somebody $500,000 to get her kid into USC. Wouldn’t that be enough of a donation paid directly to USC to make it all work?

Phil is getting out ahead of this thing and offensive PR is usually done for a reason.

I see this deal getting bigger and ensnaring a lot more people.

SYard T388
    TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
    Miura CB-57 3-PW
    Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
    Old Titleist Blade
  • tatertottatertot Members Posts: 4,300 ✭✭
    Phil used it for his 3 kids ... said he had no idea any of this was going on and colleges are "fighting" for his kids.

Who knows ... if they're that in demand, why pay for somebody to help.

He said it was to cut through the confusion. Money corrupts, but we'll probably never know. Phil seems like the kind of guy that doesn't mind cutting a few corners.
    Driver: Adams Speedline Fast 11, 9°
    Fairway: Adams Fast 10, 15*
    Irons: Ping i200 3 iron, Ping iE1 4-PW
    Wedges: Titleist SM7, 48º; Titleist SM5, 54º & 58º
    Putter: Cleveland Classics Huntington Beach #1, 35"
  • BottleCapBottleCap Members Posts: 1,266 ✭✭
    Phil's kid went to a fancy private school that already offered college admission services.

Why else would he be involved with these folks?
    Titleist TS2 GD TourAD IZ 7S
    Titleist TS2 15 GD TourAD F-85S
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3-4 DG AMT S300
    Mizuno MP-18 5-PW DG S400
    Vokey SM7 54M and 60M
    Cameron Newport 2 CT
    Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members Posts: 826 ✭✭

I’m stumped about one thing. Aunt Becky purportedly gave somebody $500,000 to get her kid into USC. Wouldn’t that be enough of a donation paid directly to USC to make it all work?

Phil is getting out ahead of this thing and offensive PR is usually done for a reason.

It was $500K for two kids. The cost to go to USC (counting books, living expenses and tuition) is estimated at $70,000/year. So, they didn't pony up enough to USC directly and therefore had to bribe the crew coach.
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,612 ClubWRX
    I want to know who at the university is collecting all that money? I assume that’s the person in a boatload of trouble.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • lumberman2462lumberman2462 Members Posts: 5,325 ✭✭
    wildcatden wrote:

It was $500K for two kids. The cost to go to USC (counting books, living expenses and tuition) is estimated at $70,000/year. So, they didn't pony up enough to USC directly and therefore had to bribe the crew coach.

Or they had to bribe the coach because their test scores weren’t good enough for general admission but were high enough for the athlete exemption.
    SYard T388
    TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
    Miura CB-57 3-PW
    Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
    Old Titleist Blade
    BottleCap wrote:

Phil's kid went to a fancy private school that already offered college admission services.

These guys were above and beyond ... they even had a letter of recommendation from the Mickelsons on their website.

wildcatden wrote:

Or they had to bribe the coach because their test scores weren’t good enough for general admission but were high enough for the athlete exemption.

Or somebody took the tests for them.
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,163 ✭✭
    tatertot wrote:

BottleCap wrote:

These guys were above and beyond ... they even had a letter of recommendation from the Mickelsons on their website.

Did this firm actually do any legitimate things? I don't know a ton about them, were they like a coaching agency for exams?

Or were they just like some big bribery ring?
    Ping G400 Max 9 w/ Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w//Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56,60 w/S300
    Odyssey O-works #7 Red Tank
  • imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy... Members Posts: 12,540 ✭✭
    Romans used to say: escusatio non petita, accusatio manifesta
    Did you hear the snippet of interview with Aunt Becky’s daughter. Flat out said she doesn’t want to study, just party.

Wish I was rhe admissions offer, it would put have taken so much cash for Aunt Becky to get what she wanted!��❤️
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
    MtlJeff wrote:

tatertot wrote:

BottleCap wrote:

Did this firm actually do any legitimate things? I don't know a ton about them, were they like a coaching agency for exams?

Or were they just like some big bribery ring?

According to Phil, they coach the kids for the tests and help parents through the college selection process.

Phil said his kids get outstanding grades, test well, have awesome extracurriculars, have great "world views" (don't know what that means) and Universities were competing for them ... the only reason he used the agency was to cut through the "confusion" of choosing the right college.
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,354 ClubWRX
    Gee, I just don't know - was Willie Park, Jr. really Jack the Ripper?

Maximilian wrote:

This doesn't look great for Phil.

Really? Because he wasn't involved? Oh boy.
  • NokeNoke Posts: 2,083 ✭✭

I want to know who at the university is collecting all that money? I assume that’s the person in a boatload of trouble.

I don't think any university admissions people were named in the indictment.

Collegiate coaches were, however.
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

Gee, I just don't know - was Willie Park, Jr. really Jack the Ripper?

Maximilian wrote:

Really? Because he wasn't involved? Oh boy.

Not sure what you mean? No, it doesn’t look good for him. I’m not saying he didn’t know what this guy was up to if that’s what you think.
    nohny noke wrote:

Were Loughlin’s kids involved in athletics?
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • BottleCapBottleCap Members Posts: 1,266 ✭✭

nohny noke wrote:

Were Loughlin’s kids involved in athletics?

They also helped kids raise their test scores by bribing proctors.

I didn't see any details yet of what the proctors did for the money.
    Titleist TS2 GD TourAD IZ 7S
    Titleist TS2 15 GD TourAD F-85S
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3-4 DG AMT S300
    Mizuno MP-18 5-PW DG S400
    Vokey SM7 54M and 60M
    Cameron Newport 2 CT
    Bridgestone Tour B XS
    Why are Phil and Amy so confused about the college admissions process?

Shouldn't it be easier for the person with loads of money to choose where to send their kids to university? The Mickelsons can afford any college on the planet. There are no bad options for people like that.

What bad luck for them that they just happened to choose the tutoring company named in the biggest ever collegiate admissions scandal.
  • kmbeankmbean Members Posts: 918 ✭✭
    FIGJAM OG

FIGJAM Jr

FIGJAM II

FIGJAM III
  • golfgirlrobingolfgirlrobin Members Posts: 2,281 ✭✭
    Maximilian wrote:

Disagree. He knows that having used the company will mean his name gets dragged into this, regardless of whether his kids bought special treatment or they just used them to organize the admissions process. Why not get out ahead of the story?

The Feds are perp walking any big name they can find in this thing. If the Mickelson’s name was implicated in any kind of nefarious way, you’d have already heard about it.
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5*
    Fairway: Epic Flash 14* & 20*
    Hybrid: Ping G410 22*
    Irons: TaylorMade M CGB 6-SW
    Wedges: Callaway 2019 PM Grind 59* and 64*
    Putter: TaylorMade Spider X - Copper / Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide

Maximilian wrote:

Disagree. He knows that having used the company will mean his name gets dragged into this, regardless of whether his kids bought special treatment or they just used them to organize the admissions process. Why not get out ahead of the story?

The Feds are perp walking any big name they can find in this thing. If the Mickelson’s name was implicated in any kind of nefarious way, you’d have already heard about it.

Actually, we totally agree.

I’m not sure what everyone is reading into my comment saying that it doesn’t look good for him? Do you people think this is positive PR for him? Lol
  • golfgirlrobingolfgirlrobin Members Posts: 2,281 ✭✭
    nohny noke wrote:

Shouldn't it be easier for the person with loads of money to choose where to send their kids to university? The Mickelsons can afford any college on the planet. There are no bad options for people like that.

What bad luck for them that they just happened to choose the tutoring company named in the biggest ever collegiate admissions scandal.

Because it’s a confusing process? Apply to half a dozen colleges, each with a different application process, requirements and cut-off dates and it’s a lot more work than you’d think.

I used a service when I was applying to law schools. Help with LSAT prep, help with tailoring essays to specific schools, putting together and submitting app packages. It was a big help and took a lot of stress off of me. Worth every penny.
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5*
    Fairway: Epic Flash 14* & 20*
    Hybrid: Ping G410 22*
    Irons: TaylorMade M CGB 6-SW
    Wedges: Callaway 2019 PM Grind 59* and 64*
    Putter: TaylorMade Spider X - Copper / Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
    Maximilian wrote:

Maximilian wrote:

The Feds are perp walking any big name they can find in this thing. If the Mickelson's name was implicated in any kind of nefarious way, you'd have already heard about it.

Actually, we totally agree.

I'm not sure what everyone is reading into my comment saying that it doesn't look good for him? Do you people think this is positive PR for him? Lol

Maybe we can all agree that

"this is not a great look for Phil"

I think people are misreading your original statement to mean that Phil is in trouble; doesn't look good for him.
  • J13J13 Dad golf Members Posts: 15,261 ✭✭
    edited Mar 14, 2019 5:28pm #30
    Phil getting ahead of this is a smart thing to do. I wonder if Kuchar is as well.......no wait he's too cheap image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' /> With that said, whoever is guilty I hope they get a nice stint in jail. The odds are already stacked against the majority of kids in this country and now this confirmation of a rigged system just proves what most already knew. I love that these things are coming to light. Karma is a b****
    Callaway Flash SZ 9* / ROGUE 130msi Silver 70TX
    Nike VR Pro LTD 15* / Aldila RIP 80X
    Srixon 745's 4-PW / Modus Tour 120 TX
    Callaway MD3 50, 54, 60 / Modus 125
    Odyssey White Hot Versa #6 Tour issue
    Srixon Zstar XV

GolfWRX WITB Podcast - Irons reveal 11/14/18 http://www.golfwrx.c...utm_content=sub

GolfWrx WITB Podcast 2017 : http://www.golfwrx.com/482668/tgtg-golfwrx-forum-member-j13-talks-witb-and-club-testing/

WITB- http://www.golfwrx.c.../page__st__1590

INSTAGRAM- @Jminis13

nohny noke wrote:

Because it’s a confusing process? Apply to half a dozen colleges, each with a different application process, requirements and cut-off dates and it’s a lot more work than you’d think.

I used a service when I was applying to law schools. Help with LSAT prep, help with tailoring essays to specific schools, putting together and submitting app packages. It was a big help and took a lot of stress off of me. Worth every penny.

Ok.

Looks like you are in CA. Just out of curiosity - had you heard of the admissions prep company named in the indictment? I'm not trying to imply anything, just wondering how well-known this firm was.