Will the college admissions scam hit the Tour PLAYERS?

Comments

• hell_is_chromehell_is_chrome Members Posts: 928 ✭✭

I want to know who at the university is collecting all that money? I assume that’s the person in a boatload of trouble.

It was coaches and other people outside the university being bribed. I don't believe it was anyone within admissions offices or anyone else.
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,398 ClubWRX
    Maximilian wrote:

Maximilian wrote:

This doesn't look great for Phil.

Disagree. He knows that having used the company will mean his name gets dragged into this, regardless of whether his kids bought special treatment or they just used them to organize the admissions process. Why not get out ahead of the story?

The Feds are perp walking any big name they can find in this thing. If the Mickelson's name was implicated in any kind of nefarious way, you'd have already heard about it.

Actually, we totally agree.

I'm not sure what everyone is reading into my comment saying that it doesn't look good for him? Do you people think this is positive PR for him? Lol

It's a nothing for him.
  • NokeNoke Members Posts: 2,083 ✭✭

I want to know who at the university is collecting all that money? I assume that’s the person in a boatload of trouble.

It was coaches and other people outside the university being bribed. I don't believe it was anyone within admissions offices or anyone else.

Right. And it seems like the kids didn't even know! Wow.
    edited Mar 14, 2019 5:41pm #35

nohny noke wrote:

I don't think any university admissions people were named in the indictment.

Collegiate coaches were, however.

Were Loughlin’s kids involved in athletics?

LOL, they bribed the crew coach to get her daughter in on a rowing scholarship (photo of her on a rowing machine!) even though she had never participated in the sport. You just can't make up how weird some of this is.
  • NokeNoke Members Posts: 2,083 ✭✭
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

Maximilian wrote:

Maximilian wrote:

Disagree. He knows that having used the company will mean his name gets dragged into this, regardless of whether his kids bought special treatment or they just used them to organize the admissions process. Why not get out ahead of the story?

The Feds are perp walking any big name they can find in this thing. If the Mickelson's name was implicated in any kind of nefarious way, you'd have already heard about it.

I'm not sure what everyone is reading into my comment saying that it doesn't look good for him? Do you people think this is positive PR for him? Lol

It's a nothing for him.

Just like his insider trading escape.
    nohny noke wrote:

The kids most certainly did know in many cases.

nohny noke wrote:

Hawkeye77 wrote:

Maximilian wrote:

Maximilian wrote:

It's a nothing for him.

Just like his insider trading escape.

Stuff it. Nothing like that at all.
  • MaximilianMaximilian Members Posts: 1,349 ✭✭
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

Maximilian wrote:

Maximilian wrote:

It's a nothing for him.

That however, I disagree with. This is going to be talked about.
    edited Mar 14, 2019 5:43pm #39
    nohny noke wrote:

Some of them had to know considering a few were getting ACT/SAT tests taken for them or getting extra time because of their "learning disability" (which was suddenly diagnosed right before the test). I hope this doesn't effect students who truly do have learning disabilities.
    Maximilian wrote:

Hawkeye77 wrote:

Maximilian wrote:

Maximilian wrote:

It's a nothing for him.

That however, I disagree with. This is going to be talked about.

Ooooooooh.
    Yep, the idea the kids didn't know won't hold much as an argument, especially the fake athletes and the ones who faked their disabilities, and on and on.
  • BlackDiamondPar5BlackDiamondPar5 Members Posts: 5,109 ✭✭
    If Phil wanted to get a kid in a particular college he'd just build them a library or research wing or something. Of course those kind of shenanigans are legal.
  • Pat du GolfPat du Golf Members Posts: 553 ✭✭
    Tic tac tic tac......
    Mizuno MP 37 3i-pw
    Mizuno MP 64 3i -pw
    Ping G25
    Scotty Newport
    Cleveland wedges
    Prov1x
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

Yep, the idea the kids didn't know won't hold much as an argument, especially the fake athletes and the ones who faked their disabilities, and on and on.

The fake recruited athlete aspect was the wildest part of this story.
  • OldboyOldboy Members Posts: 2,374 ✭✭
    edited Mar 14, 2019 5:54pm #45
    this is some seriuosly f'd up ish .. everyone of these kids should be expelled .. and the parents should go to jail for fraud .. the wealthy and privileged thinking they can just cheat and game the system and f everyone else .. tsk tsk .. it'll get underreported cos of the names of some of the families that are and will be involved .. no golf coaches implicated yet .. so there's that
  • extrastiffextrastiff Members Posts: 857 ✭✭
    edited Mar 14, 2019 5:59pm #47
    nohny noke wrote:

I don't think any university admissions people were named in the indictment.

Collegiate coaches were, however.
    celebrities were purposefully "chosen" imo as scapegoats so we would all be distracted from the fact that universities promote/accept these practices, both illegally, as well as through legacy institutions.

The scam has hit the tour, money creates opportunity for many college golfers. But I doubt this "scam" will spread... to many institutions will fight to contain it
    g400 max 9* | hzrdus black 75 6.5
    f8 15* | hzrdus black 75 6.5
    p790 4i | steelfiber 95x
    black utility onelength 22.5*, 26* | steelfiber 110x
    forged onelength 6i | steelfiber 110x
    p730 7i-pw | steelfiber 110x
    hi-toe 52*9, 56*8, 62*5 | steelfiber 110x
    columbus
    jumbomax tour medium grips
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,620 ClubWRX
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

I guess I don’t get as outraged as some since there is such an abundance of “students” attending college just to bide their time until the NFL or NBA. They’re no more students than Loughlins daughter is an athlete.

The money is just com8ng from a different source. TV money paid for athletic programs, or TV money paid by an actress mom.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
    So, to summarize, except for anti-Phil trolling this is really about rich folks and their kids generally scamming universities and getting caught.

Yep, absolutely nothing to do with golf.
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,111 ✭✭
    I’m not sure why people are shocked that rich folks pay for preferential treatment. Do you all just think that every rich family begats pure genius from their loins ? I mean they can’t be 5th generation legacy kids on pure intelligence. Law of averages says it can’t be.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • extrastiffextrastiff Members Posts: 857 ✭✭

Hawkeye77 wrote:

I guess I don’t get as outraged as some since there is such an abundance of “students” attending college just to bide their time until the NFL or NBA. They’re no more students than Loughlins daughter is an athlete.

The money is just com8ng from a different source. TV money paid for athletic programs, or TV money paid by an actress mom.

Disagree that u can call the mandated (to go pro) grind of college athletics "biding" time, but yes the outrage is interesting. It is a contradictory situation.
    g400 max 9* | hzrdus black 75 6.5
    f8 15* | hzrdus black 75 6.5
    p790 4i | steelfiber 95x
    black utility onelength 22.5*, 26* | steelfiber 110x
    forged onelength 6i | steelfiber 110x
    p730 7i-pw | steelfiber 110x
    hi-toe 52*9, 56*8, 62*5 | steelfiber 110x
    columbus
    jumbomax tour medium grips
  • OldboyOldboy Members Posts: 2,374 ✭✭
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

So, to summarize, except for anti-Phil trolling this is really about rich folks and their kids generally scamming universities and getting caught.

PM used the guy that has been indicted by the FBI to help his own kids. It's not trolling when phil actually makes a statement about it .. yep absolutely has to do with golf
  • sheldonjhackersheldonjhacker Members Posts: 3,699 ✭✭
    "Fluffernutter" Phil is one odd duck ! image/russian_roulette.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':russian_roulette:' />
    edited Mar 14, 2019 6:23pm #54
    This is # 103,675 on my list of give an EFs. how many of the countries royal families have used this type practice since the 1850s ?? Most or all ?
    Don't disagree about the NFL and NBA aspect for many. But, and I hadn't really reflected on this until right now, I was at the Iowa - Rutgers game a couple weeks ago (senior day) and the game was simply atrocious, but at halftime they had all of the athletes (who were there that day) come down into the arena and introduced every senior athlete in every men's and women's sport who had a GPA over 3.0 - I thought they would never stop streaming down the stairs leading down to the basketball floor, pretty impressive for me and my wife (an educator) to watch. So, I think for 90% of the student athletes out there, when you look at total participation numbers, the student part is still a big deal.

I guess I put these rich folks buying off people in the same boat as those schools that buy (and parents that sell) athletes - so not really all that surprised it happened on the purely "student" side as well. I'm not outraged, just surprised I'm not all that surprised how stupid people who have all the so-called advantages can be.
    Oldboy wrote:

Hawkeye77 wrote:

PM used the guy that has been indicted by the FBI to help his own kids. It's not trolling when phil actually makes a statement about it .. yep absolutely has to do with golf

His kids play golf? He used the guy in an illegal way? Posts about Phil have been supportive?

Just an attention getting thread title and a chance to stir up the anti-Phil crowd. I guess I forgot that anything a golfer tweets is really about "golf".
  • tatertottatertot Members Posts: 4,326 ✭✭

Tic tac tic tac......

I believe you're going for "Tick Tock, Tick Tock" ... unless you have bad breath.
    Driver: Adams Speedline Fast 11, 9°
    Fairway: Adams Fast 10, 15*
    Irons: Ping i200 3 iron, Ping iE1 4-PW
    Wedges: Titleist SM7, 48º; Titleist SM5, 54º & 58º
    Putter: Cleveland Classics Huntington Beach #1, 35"
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,620 ClubWRX
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

Don't disagree about the NFL and NBA aspect for many. But, and I hadn't really reflected on this until right now, I was at the Iowa - Rutgers game a couple weeks ago (senior day) and the game was simply atrocious, but at halftime they had all of the athletes (who were there that day) come down into the arena and introduced every senior athlete in every men's and women's sport who had a GPA over 3.0 - I thought they would never stop streaming down the stairs leading down to the basketball floor, pretty impressive for me and my wife (an educator) to watch. So, I think for 90% of the student athletes out there, when you look at total participation numbers, the student part is still a big deal.

I guess I put these rich folks buying off people in the same boat as those schools that buy (and parents that sell) athletes - so not really all that surprised it happened on the purely "student" side as well. I'm not outraged, just surprised I'm not all that surprised how stupid people who have all the so-called advantages can be.

Question Hawk. How many of those athletes came from the men’s FB and BB program. And then out of those, how many were walk on athletes?

Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • tatertottatertot Members Posts: 4,326 ✭✭

This is # 103,675 on my list of give an EFs. how many of the countries royal families have used this type practice since the 1850s ?? Most or all ?

Seriously? These kids took the place of a kid that actually deserved it and worked their whole life for it.

And royalty also use to rape and kill people at will ... you going to condone that, too?
    Driver: Adams Speedline Fast 11, 9°
    Fairway: Adams Fast 10, 15*
    Irons: Ping i200 3 iron, Ping iE1 4-PW
    Wedges: Titleist SM7, 48º; Titleist SM5, 54º & 58º
    Putter: Cleveland Classics Huntington Beach #1, 35"
    edited Mar 14, 2019 6:36pm #60
    tatertot wrote:

Seriously? These kids took the place of a kid that actually deserved it and worked their whole life for it.

And royalty also use to rape and kill people at will ... you going to condone that, too?

I don’t condone either.

But I am shocked that people are shocked at this. I thought it was common knowledge that 1/3 the legacy’s at any Ivy League school couldn’t walk and chew gum at the same time. They just have the correct family tree. You think palms don’t get greased to make sure that’s known ? Please. They don’t name every parking lot and laundromat on campus after a family for no reason.

It’s an action that can never be fully stopped. What irks me is that hey caught mid grade celebrities. And not the real power playing families. It’s troubling only to me because it’s the gateway for a lot of these idiots to end up in high places. If they never got into a certain school you have to wonder if they’d ever get that Dog catchers nomination etc.

Hawkeye77 wrote:

Oldboy wrote:

Hawkeye77 wrote:

His kids play golf? He used the guy in an illegal way? Posts about Phil have been supportive?

Just an attention getting thread title and a chance to stir up the anti-Phil crowd. I guess I forgot that anything a golfer tweets is really about "golf".

I’m not an “anti-Phil” guy, I’m really not. And he might be completely innocent here, I’ll give him the benefit of doubt. But regardless of what you or anyone here thinks of him or the Singer case, this could potentially end up being a pretty big deal for Phil. And yes I would say that anything regarding Phil is golf related in the greater scheme of things. Even Mossimo Giannulli, the GFore guy tangled up in this, is golf related.