Ping i210/i500 driving iron recommendation

shredNECTARshredNECTAR Members Posts: 119 ✭✭
edited Mar 14, 2019 5:00pm in Equipment #1
First post for myself here and just wanted to say that I am STOKED to be here. Plenty of great insight and great to finally be a member of the forum after being a creeper for the last few years. I wanted to start by saying that I am currently in the scenario of about to buy my second set of irons. I got fit for the ping i210 4-UW. I always liked having a driving iron in the bag and in my current set up I have both the Mizuno MP18 MMC fli-hi 2 and 3 iron. Plan on getting rid of both of them because I would prefer to go with either Ping i500 standard or Powerloft, or just get the Ping i210 3 Iron with the set. The reason being I just don't like the look of the Mizuno down at the ball and wouldn't want to manipulate the shaft or lie angle if I plan on getting rid of them. So my questions are the following..

1. Ping i500 standard/powerloft 3 iron owners- Did you feel you needed a lighter shaft to get more distance in the 3 iron, almost like the shafts you see in todays driving irons or did if you use the shaft you had in your set and felt no loss of distance?

2. Ping i210 3 iron owners- Would you prefer a lighter shaft to get more out of the 3 iron, if distance, and punching out of bad situations is what you value vs. having a 3 iron that is just gapped perfectly with your set?

3. Please provide 7 iron distances with 3 Iron distances so I could somewhat determine what would be my best course of action between the two clubs. Also specify powerloft/standardloft settings and if you changed iron shaft to go with 3 iron.

Mizuno 16.5 deg 2iron 240-255yd with very low ball flight (best case scenario)

Mizuno 19 deg 3 iron, 235-240yds

I currently game Ping g25 stiff shafts 110g, 7iron distance 175-180.

Ping i210 shafts i was fitted for Project x lz 6.0 120g, 7 iron distance 165. - 1/2in

What I am ideally looking for is a solid 3 iron off the tee with a higher penetrating ballflight (unlike my current 2iron set up). Also a club I could use to punch out of sticky situations and still get me that approach distance I need after hitting a bad tee shot on a long hole.

Really appreciate it fellas

Comments

• adh2k1adh2k1 Members Posts: 285 ✭✭
    edited Mar 14, 2019 5:15pm #2
    I have a bent i500 3i that is at 17 I believe. Now that thing is a rocket, but a very low launching rocket. Feel is fantastic and very forgiving. You are probably a much higher SS than I am, but I can push it out there around 225 carry. My 4i is about 205, 5i is about 190, 6i is about 180, and 7i is about 165. Now I have all of my lofts slightly adjusted to allow for decent gappings. I used to use a Fli-Hi MMC as well but had that bent to 14.5 and I just couldn't carry it that far. I would get about 200-205 carry but it was very controllable for me. i500 is better all around so if you can hit the Fli-Hi, I think you could easily get along with an i500. Other than the hot faces, I prefer the i500s to the i200s all around. Feels like cheating when I hit them.
    Ping G LST 9 / G400 Max 9
    Callaway xHot 3Deep
    Ping 3-5 i500 S AWT2.0
    Ping 6-U i200 S AWT2.0
    Cobra Trusty Rusty 55,59
    Callaway PM Grind 64
    Odyssey 9 WHP / Odyssey Redball
  • shredNECTARshredNECTAR Members Posts: 119 ✭✭
    Appreciate the reply. I def hit my MP18 fli-hi 16.5 degree 2 iron on the low side and would want the added loft. I feel like the i500 3 iron regular spec at 18 would be the perfect launch for me. What shaft did they fit you in? Also would you rather have a lighter shaft in that 3 iron, then the one that belonged with your set?
  • Golf64Golf64 Go Habs Go! Ontario, CanadaMembers Posts: 7,705 ✭✭
    Try the G410 Crossover. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    Bag under construction

Super Bowl LII Champions
    Fly Eagles Fly
  • adh2k1adh2k1 Members Posts: 285 ✭✭
    I have the same shaft that is in the rest of my irons. I just cut it down 1/2 inch or so. I have the Ping AWT 2.0 in mine so it might be a little lighter than a standard 3 iron as well. Either way it is really working for me.
    Ping G LST 9 / G400 Max 9
    Callaway xHot 3Deep
    Ping 3-5 i500 S AWT2.0
    Ping 6-U i200 S AWT2.0
    Cobra Trusty Rusty 55,59
    Callaway PM Grind 64
    Odyssey 9 WHP / Odyssey Redball
  • BCULAWBCULAW Orlando, FLMembers Posts: 3,637 ✭✭
    I played the i500s for a couple of months. The 3 iron replaced my 3 wood.

For reference, I typically hit my 7 iron (MP18 blade) 165-170. 3 iron in that same set is 205-210.

I dropped an i500 4 iron to 4 feet from 229 and hit the green with the 3 iron from 242 on a par 5. (Thanks for the passive brag opportunity). I used the same iron shaft in the 3 as I had in the rest of my set (Modus 105x).

I found the i500sto be ridiculously long on full swings. Perfect long iron replacements,IMO. Just be careful if you are trying to fit certain gaps. You might find that you need a 5 iron for a particular gap,even if you are replacing a 3 iron.
  • shredNECTARshredNECTAR Members Posts: 119 ✭✭
    Ended up just going with the i210 3iron-uw. I like the offset in the i210 and figured I would give that a shot first and go from there. Can’t wait to get them.