New Tommy Armour Atomic Driver

Luke'sdadLuke'sdad Lukes's dadPosts: 100 ✭✭
Just saw these yesterday w/new TA irons at local Golf Galaxy. Not nearly as colorful as previous model driver, fairways, hybrids & irons. Hit it in the sim. Driver felt good, decent numbers like most new offerings. $399 price tag might deter more than a few prospective buyers though. Has all the bells & whistles, ie adjustable head, composite top, DAK titanium face, weights, etc. No pics, sorry as I left my cell in the truck. But the pics are up on Galaxy & Dicks site if interested.

Comments

  • LaymanMLaymanM Cincinnati, OHMembers Posts: 2,076 ✭✭
    I have the TA1 with Hzrdus Yellow. It's a very good driver. As good as any of the non low spin. I swap between it and Epic Sz.



    I had a G400 Max and prefer the TA1.
    PING G400 Max 9*, Adidla Rogue Max 75x
    Callaway 815 Alpha 3W and 5W Speeder 665 stiff
    Srixon U65 4, Modus 105s
    Srixon Z785 5-PW Modus 120s
    Edel DVR 50, s200
    SM7 54F / 58K
    SC Studio Style Newport 2
  • JohnKHawkJohnKHawk Members Posts: 708 ✭✭
    I'm sure it will be $199 by the end of the golf season. The TA1 was actually a good driver. Picked it up for cheap & got a free hybrid late last year. Doesn't really lag far behind the big brands.
  • GolfProTJGolfProTJ Members Posts: 686
    LaymanM wrote:
    I have the TA1 with Hzrdus Yellow. It's a very good driver. As good as any of the non low spin. I swap between it and Epic Sz.



    I had a G400 Max and prefer the TA1.




    That will be as good or better than any driver on forgiveness than Ping’s of ‘18. TA1-ways a smoke show but the TA-Atomic will

    in the Top Ten of the year
  • erock9174erock9174 North Canton, OHMembers Posts: 3,928 ✭✭
    edited Mar 15, 2019 9:31am #5
    In the **** testing they had the Atomic at 7th best in ball speed out of 24 drivers tested.



    e3da8656b9dc4621824fe59ce290b4fc.jpg

    Driver: Ping Rhapsody 16*
    FW: Ping G400 SFT 5w
    Hybrids: Exotics XRail 23*/26*
    Irons: Ping G700 6-UW
    Wedges: Cleveland CBX 56*/60* - Callaway Sure Out 64*
    Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne H


  • DavidvDavidv Posts: 689 ✭✭
    GolfProTJ wrote:

    LaymanM wrote:
    I have the TA1 with Hzrdus Yellow. It's a very good driver. As good as any of the non low spin. I swap between it and Epic Sz.



    I had a G400 Max and prefer the TA1.




    That will be as good or better than any driver on forgiveness than Ping’s of ‘18. TA1-ways a smoke show but the TA-Atomic will

    in the Top Ten of the year




    If they only rate 10 manufacturers and TA is one of the 10 otherwise in all reality the Atomic will be a marketing/consumer bomb.
  • GhostwedgeGhostwedge Posts: 653 ✭✭
    Two things....

    We need to redifine the words “smoke show” then, i’m thinking super models not TA drivers.

    And the numbers might say it’s a great driver but thousands more think the Ping 400Max is slightly more forgiving by a lot.
  • gators78gators78 ClubWRX Posts: 3,907 ClubWRX
    Read the rest of the article on MSG about the construction of the TA woods, sounds pretty legit.
    G400 Max
    M2 3W, Hybrid
    i210s
    SM7s
    Sigma 2, Tyne 4
  • LaymanMLaymanM Cincinnati, OHMembers Posts: 2,076 ✭✭
    Ghostwedge wrote:


    Two things....

    We need to redifine the words “smoke show” then, i’m thinking super models not TA drivers.

    And the numbers might say it’s a great driver but thousands more think the Ping 400Max is slightly more forgiving by a lot.




    Perception and reality are usually far apart. I've owned both and TA1 is longer and as forgiving.
    PING G400 Max 9*, Adidla Rogue Max 75x
    Callaway 815 Alpha 3W and 5W Speeder 665 stiff
    Srixon U65 4, Modus 105s
    Srixon Z785 5-PW Modus 120s
    Edel DVR 50, s200
    SM7 54F / 58K
    SC Studio Style Newport 2
  • the bishopthe bishop Members Posts: 3,198 ✭✭
    I hit both the Atomic driver and 3W in a bay at GG while having some grips done. I was pleasantly surprised by the sound and feel of both which I thought were great. Aesthetically I'd say they are an acquired taste. I think I was most surprised by the 3W. Compact shape and face height a perfect mid height and great feel. I also hit a Cobra F9 3W and thought it felt dead. Hit a Rogue 3W also and while I liked the feel thought the Atomic felt better. Launch monitor wasn't on so didn't get numbers but I don't like LM's indoors anyway.
    Dynacraft Avatar Evolution 10.5* - Proforce V2 HL - S
    TM M1 Tour Issue 14* - Maltby ProSeries Fwy - S
    W/S FG Tour F5 20*/23* - Fubuki  z80 Hybrid - S
    W/S FG62 5-P - DGS300
    W/S PMP Raw 52/56/60 - KBS  Hi-Rev 2.0
    Scotty Newport Mil-Spec Pro Platinum
  • shredNECTARshredNECTAR Members Posts: 119 ✭✭
    Hit it pretty well on sim. Just won’t knock 917d out of the bag
Sign In or Register to comment.