ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

New iron shaft advice please

Bfishes333Bfishes333 Members Posts: 5 ✭✭
Just getting back into golf after some time off and need some reccomendations. It seems there is a lot of iron shafts out there I haven't tried. I've been playing quite a few rounds lately and striking the ball well again. I got around to swing speed machine today and my 7 iron is at around 83-85 on average. Distance is around 205 and 175 with PW on a set I was trying out, I believe the taylormade p730s.I currently game this shaft and it's pretty good but I am wanting to get new Iron set and may be better off getting with shafts instead of just heads. I would be pairing with a pair of srixon 945s, if I can find any at a reasonable price or something similar. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• greenwavegolfergreenwavegolfer Advanced Members Posts: 113 ✭✭
    I would go somewhere else and hit again because something is off with those numbers. 83-85mph with a 7i isn't getting you close to 205 yards. If you're hitting your 7i that far you're looking at 10-15mph faster swing speed than that and in that case you're probably going to want a stiffer, heavier shaft. If the swing speed is correct and the distance is off then that shaft might be fine, or at least something fairly similar. But essentially you've given no information because there's no way to rely on the information you have given because it's conflicting. Go somewhere reliable and get some real measurements and try as many different things as you can.
    WITB:

Ping G400 LST 10º (Playing 9º) Project X EvenFlow Black 6.0
    Callaway Rogue SZ 3W (15º) Project X EvenFlow Blue 6.0
    Srixon Z-785 3i/4i Nippon Modus Tour 120X
    Srixon Z-Forged 5i-PW Nippon Modus Tour 120X
    Titleist SM5 50º SM6 54º, 58º Dynamic Gold S200
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne
  • llamontllamont Advanced Members Posts: 1,823 ✭✭
    What greenwavegolfer said...
    I love golf
  • TommyjTommyj Advanced Members Posts: 294 ✭✭
    If you are a 1 handicap then you should have a really good idea of what shaft works for you in terms of weight and flex, and certainly don't need to be seeking advice here. I'm with the other two members who have responded - your distance claims seem somewhat unrealistic relative to your observed SS.
  • cgasuckscgasucks Advanced Members Posts: 2,147 ✭✭
    Bfishes333 wrote:

Just getting back into golf after some time off and need some reccomendations. It seems there is a lot of iron shafts out there I haven't tried. I've been playing quite a few rounds lately and striking the ball well again. I got around to swing speed machine today and my 7 iron is at around 83-85 on average. Distance is around 205 and 175 with PW on a set I was trying out, I believe the taylormade p730s.I currently game this shaft and it's pretty good but I am wanting to get new Iron set and may be better off getting with shafts instead of just heads. I would be pairing with a pair of srixon 945s, if I can find any at a reasonable price or something similar. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Your clubhead speed numbers don't make sense. You said you can hit your PW 175-205 yet your 7 iron is 83-85 MPH? At that speed, it would usually carry 170Y.
    10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
    Titleist DCI 990 Irons (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold shafts in S300
    Taylormade ATV 54 deg & 58 deg wedges with stock KBS shafts
    Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
    Ping Anser 2 Stainless Steel Putter
  • ColejColej Advanced Members Posts: 1,661 ✭✭
    cgasucks wrote:
    Bfishes333 wrote:

Your clubhead speed numbers don't make sense. You said you can hit your PW 175-205 yet your 7 iron is 83-85 MPH? At that speed, it would usually carry 170Y.

I’m thinking if he’s getting 170 with a 7 iron at 85 mph he’s doing excellent.
  • Bfishes333Bfishes333 Members Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Thanks for for the responses guys. As far as distances goes, these are from the course. The swing speed came from a Dicks when I went in to get some balls. Since I was about 18 I've hit these distsnces. Now I'm now 28, 6'0, and 220lb with no belly in the way of my putting stroke. A 7 iron 170 yards was about what I was hitting at 14. When I stopped playing golf about 5 years ago most of my equipment was brand new and all custom but I am a bit of gear ho so was wanting to see what new was out there and maybe get some sound advice from people who have been in the game while I was off on a boat fishing. Thank you.