Gapping Between 4 Iron and 3 Wood

13»

Comments

• Big A HGBig A HG Members Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Mar 28, 2019 3:31pm #62

With your distance, the 4-wood seems unnecessary. I find it odd that you'd consistently need the full 275 yards for a second shot that it's giving you. Self-admittedly, you also said you go for driver aggressively off the tee for most holes, so the 4-wood isn't adding a lot in that area.

What I would do is swap the 4-wood for a 5-wood, hopefully bringing that fairway metal distance down from 275 to, let's say 260. Then, I'd throw in the three iron or higher lofted driving iron to hit that 240ish mark. In this scenario you're gapping yourself better and giving you an additional option to boot, all for dropping 15 yards off your fairway metal.

Then you're going 225-240-260-300 on your gaps instead of trying to find the sweet-spot in a 50-yard gap in your current setup. I highly doubt you'd need the extra 15 yards out of a 4-wood out versus a 5-wood.

• bulls9999bulls9999 Members Posts: 746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Mar 29, 2019 1:37pm #63

Just went to a demo day yesterday and tried the TM GAPR Mid4, and omg, I couldn't hit a bad shot. Have not been able to hit my hybrids well the past year, it's like a crapshoot what comes out of a shot with those.... with the GAPR, they were solid straight. Was fun to have people from our club that know me standing behind me for 20 min saying "haven't seen you hit a bad shot yet..." Had the guy set it to 2 setting further (6 Hyb?) and started hitting higher shots. I was reaching the green at the end of the driving range and then I realized, they moved the tee boxes to the beginning of the tee box area for the Demo day instead of 20 yards further ahead where it had been the previous 2 weeks!!! I must have hit that thing for half hour, easily 40-50 balls, maybe 3-5 bad balls total. Guy looked at me and said "should I order it....and without hesitation I said.... YES". When showed my wife the pictures of the hybrid (combo hybrid/driving iron?) and said something about it being small she reminded me that "don't you like small hybrids better, you have that one you call 'itty-bitty' (TalorMade Raylor) that you use to get yourself out of tricky lies". Now I have a little brother for 'itty bitty'. I might have to get 2 of them and leave them at different settings, lol.

@Haloha said:
    like many suggested, get a GAPR to fill the gap

GHIN Index 13.8
  • BB28403BB28403 Members Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I hate to be harsh man, but this isn’t a long drive comp. you need to dial back your speed to be more accurate. Birdies and pars are your friend. The eagles you do make do not make up for your Boegs and dub Boegs.
    Maybe don’t worry about this “gap” you have and become more accurate.

• NoRootsNoRoots ClubWRX Posts: 13 ClubWRX

@Krt22 said:
    bamagolf wrote:

b.mattay wrote:

bamagolf wrote:

b.mattay wrote:

I am currently looking for a 250 yard club to fill the gap between my 4 iron (225 yards) and 4 wood (275 yards). I have tried a hybrid, 7 wood and 3 iron and each have their pros and cons.

Hybrid:

Pros: Great out of rough, nice to use around the greens.

Cons: Hard to commit to off the tee (get too sweepy and hit big hooks). I also get occasional nukes coming into par 5's where the ball comes out like a driver flight and I airmail the green by 30 yards.

7 Wood:

Pros: Best out of rough, most stopping power.

Cons: Crappy on windy days, always seems to sit closed regardless of model which gets in my head at times.

3 Iron:

Pros: Easy to hit low bullets in the wind, most accurate left-right dispersion.

Cons: Crappy out the rough into a par 5, hard to swing on really cold days. Difficult to hold firm greens.

Other Info:

Driver SS: 120mph

Ball Flight: High draw, miss is an overcook.

Miscellanous: Hit 35% of fairways, play from the rough a lot.

What club would you choose???

So if the 4 wood is 275, how far do you hit the driver Hercules?

Hahaha about 300 carry avg if teed high. However, on tight holes I tee it really low, choke down and hit a squeeze fade which carries about 280

Wow! If you get any roll at all that puts you in the top 20 of the PGA Tour in driving distance. I’m just curious, for someone who hits it as far or farther than the best in the world who is also a +2, what would lead you to seek advice from a message board for what club should be between your 225 4 iron and your 275 4 wood? I just got to know.

Give the trolling a rest already. He hits it far, not a big deal

@Krt22 said:
    bamagolf wrote:

b.mattay wrote:

bamagolf wrote:

b.mattay wrote:

I am currently looking for a 250 yard club to fill the gap between my 4 iron (225 yards) and 4 wood (275 yards). I have tried a hybrid, 7 wood and 3 iron and each have their pros and cons.

Hybrid:

Pros: Great out of rough, nice to use around the greens.

Cons: Hard to commit to off the tee (get too sweepy and hit big hooks). I also get occasional nukes coming into par 5's where the ball comes out like a driver flight and I airmail the green by 30 yards.

7 Wood:

Pros: Best out of rough, most stopping power.

Cons: Crappy on windy days, always seems to sit closed regardless of model which gets in my head at times.

3 Iron:

Pros: Easy to hit low bullets in the wind, most accurate left-right dispersion.

Cons: Crappy out the rough into a par 5, hard to swing on really cold days. Difficult to hold firm greens.

Other Info:

Driver SS: 120mph

Ball Flight: High draw, miss is an overcook.

Miscellanous: Hit 35% of fairways, play from the rough a lot.

What club would you choose???

So if the 4 wood is 275, how far do you hit the driver Hercules?

Hahaha about 300 carry avg if teed high. However, on tight holes I tee it really low, choke down and hit a squeeze fade which carries about 280

Wow! If you get any roll at all that puts you in the top 20 of the PGA Tour in driving distance. I’m just curious, for someone who hits it as far or farther than the best in the world who is also a +2, what would lead you to seek advice from a message board for what club should be between your 225 4 iron and your 275 4 wood? I just got to know.

Give the trolling a rest already. He hits it far, not a big deal

Not a big deal? There is good trolling and bad trolling. I like it sometimes. If he gets to hit it that far then those of us who wish we could but can’t can feel a little better with a little giggle. That makes sense right?

• BearQBearQ Members Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Apr 4, 2019 7:37am #66

@Big A HG said:
    With your distance, the 4-wood seems unnecessary. I find it odd that you'd consistently need the full 275 yards for a second shot that it's giving you. Self-admittedly, you also said you go for driver aggressively off the tee for most holes, so the 4-wood isn't adding a lot in that area.

What I would do is swap the 4-wood for a 5-wood, hopefully bringing that fairway metal distance down from 275 to, let's say 260. Then, I'd throw in the three iron or higher lofted driving iron to hit that 240ish mark. In this scenario you're gapping yourself better and giving you an additional option to boot, all for dropping 15 yards off your fairway metal.

Then you're going 225-240-260-300 on your gaps instead of trying to find the sweet-spot in a 50-yard gap in your current setup. I highly doubt you'd need the extra 15 yards out of a 4-wood out versus a 5-wood.

Well written post. I dont hit my fairway as far as OP but just mentioned in another thread I could probably play a tuned down 5w. Basically for all the reasons you pointed out. I cleaned my gapping towards end of '18 by:

Swapping strong 3-woods for either 15/16.5 models
    Swapping 5wood for #3 UDI & 18* hybrid

Im far happier with this setup. ESPECIALLY if you are aggressive and hit driver often. My use of strong 3-wood was primarily a tactic to get me lower launch/spin due to improper technique. Also, in my last 3 years of albeit limited golf, I played less than 10 shots off the turf with my 3+ models.

OP would greatly benefit from a tuned down 5wood.

Cobra LTD Pro (9.5*) - Matrix Type C 70X 
    TM M2 Tour 3W (15*) - Matrix Black Tie 80M4-X
    TM P790 UDI #2 (18*) | TP UDI #3 (20*) - Matrix Black Tie HM4 105X 
    Srixon Z945 (4-P) - Nippon SPB X
    Nike VR Forged (56DS) | Cleveland RTX2 raw (60.08W)
    Spider Tour Black 35" - ping blackout

• b.mattayb.mattay New WRX'er Members Posts: 511 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BB28403 said:
    I hate to be harsh man, but this isn’t a long drive comp. you need to dial back your speed to be more accurate. Birdies and pars are your friend. The eagles you do make do not make up for your Boegs and dub Boegs.
    Maybe don’t worry about this “gap” you have and become more accurate.

Hahaha you are a funny guy sir! Btw an eagle makes up for a double and looks way cooler than going par-par 😂.

@Big A HG said:

Excellent suggestion! I had the 275 number in the bag for into the wind par 5’s and for short (about 300y) driveable par 4’s that may be a tad downwind! In either situation though, a shot that is a little short is almost never a big deal! That would provide nice consistent gaps given my propensity to hit driver a lot off the tee in a variety of fashions!

2017 M1 (8.25, Grafalloy Blue 65X, Z-Cord)

King LTD (14.5, Grafalloy Blue 75X, Z-Cord)

Sonartec GS Tour (18, Fujikura 370, Z-Cord)

714 AP2 (4-9, X100, Z-Cord, 1 Degree Flat)

SM6 (46.08F, 50.12F, 55.15F, 60.12V, S400, Z-Cord, 1 Degree Flat)

Rossa Corza (P2 Reflex, Counterweight [50g], 34”)
  • RH82RH82 Members Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@cardoustie said:
    Get the Cally apex 20 ... very anti left and iron like

Agreed. I hate hybrids but this is the only one I can play.

TBD
    Titleist 917 F2 (16.5*)
    Callaway Apex (20*)
    Srixon Z785 (4-PW)
    Cleveland RTX-4 (50*/56*/60*)
    Odyssey Tank #7
  • Hit em goodHit em good Hit em good Members Posts: 2,098 ✭✭

3 iron
    5 wood

Driver: 07 Burner TP
    4 wood: Ping G25
    7 wood: Ping G25
    23° hybrd:  Ping G25
    5i - pw: Mizuno MP64
    Wedges 50° / 54° / 58°: Cleveland Rotex 2.0 (2 dot , 3 dot , 2 dot)
    Putter: Ping Redwood Anser
    Ball: Titleist Pro v1x / Pro v1
    Bag: Titlest Stand Bag / 4 way top

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file