Let's debate - top 5 ball strikers who have won a major

Schley Schley Love ya don't tell ya enough!Kingdom of Saudi ArabiaMembers Posts: 1,124 ✭✭
With all due respect to Moe Norman and others who didn't pull it all together for a major....... Here are my top 5 ball strikers, which is code for best tee to green golfers of all time. My top 5 that have won a major:

1. Tiger Woods

2. Jack Nicklaus

3. Johnny Miller

4. Tom Watson

5. Greg Norman

I wanted to put Colin Montgomerie in here so bad as he was like a machine in his 15 year prime. Some honorable mentions are Ben Hogan, Phil, Trevino. Palmer/Player perhaps. Really to win a major you have to be solid tee to green and hopefully had a good week putting, which is why there are so many major champions that are great ball strikers, but not necessarily great putters. You can borrow a hot week putting if you are a good ball striker and win a major, so average/slightly above average putters i.e. Norman, Palmer, Watson won major championships.

This is easily a hotly debated topic for most major champions were great ball strikers.

Comments

• DrudershDrudersh ClubWRX Posts: 2,902 ClubWRX
    Els won an Open with the yips.....
    Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
    Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
    Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
    Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
    Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
    Odyssey Versa 2-Ball
  • Schley Schley Love ya don't tell ya enough! Kingdom of Saudi ArabiaMembers Posts: 1,124 ✭✭
    Drudersh wrote:

Els won an Open with the yips.....

This is true and a tribute to his beautiful swing and tremendous ball striking.
  • tideridertiderider Members Posts: 1,493 ✭✭
    norman above hogan? ... 2 majors to 9? ...

tenor.gif?itemid=5386304
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,393 ClubWRX
    Who doesn’t include Hogan and Trevino?

Amateur hour!
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members Posts: 4,747 ✭✭
    I'm confused, you mention Monty but his major wins column is 0, so how could you possibly put him in there?!
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow White T1100
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08, 54.10 & 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x
  • mikedejongmikedejong Members Posts: 618 ✭✭
    Hogan has to be #1. How about Vijay? Won majors with atrocious putting and short game...
    Ping G400 Driver
    Ping G400 3 Wood
    Adams Pro Black 3 Hybrid
    Ping I200 4-9 Irons
    Ping Glide 2.0 46/50/56/60
    Scotty Cameron GOLO
  • Schley Schley Love ya don't tell ya enough! Kingdom of Saudi ArabiaMembers Posts: 1,124 ✭✭
    MattyO1984 wrote:

I'm confused, you mention Monty but his major wins column is 0, so how could you possibly put him in there?!

I wanted him to actually have won a major to include him. The guy was a machine.

Hogan was a great ball striker by all accounts, however let's not include him because of his majors in an era where most guys didn't even play full time.
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

Who doesn't include Hogan and Trevino?

Amateur hour!

ME! image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />

Hogan I could put up there, but I had to include the best driver of the golf ball of all time!
  • DrudershDrudersh ClubWRX Posts: 2,902 ClubWRX
    If the only criteria is to have won a single Major then you have to give an honorable mention to Keegan Bradley and Adam Scott. I'm not a Bradley fan, but I have a lot of respect for a guy that has consistently been outside the top 150 in SG putting over the last few years and KEPT his tour card.
    Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
    Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
    Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
    Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
    Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
    Odyssey Versa 2-Ball
  • mikedejongmikedejong Members Posts: 618 ✭✭
    Schley wrote:

Hawkeye77 wrote:

Who doesn't include Hogan and Trevino?

Amateur hour!

ME! image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />

Hogan I could put up there, but I had to include the best driver of the golf ball of all time!

Rory... probably fits as well.
    Ping G400 Driver
    Ping G400 3 Wood
    Adams Pro Black 3 Hybrid
    Ping I200 4-9 Irons
    Ping Glide 2.0 46/50/56/60
    Scotty Cameron GOLO
    Schley wrote:

MattyO1984 wrote:

I wanted him to actually have won a major to include him. The guy was a machine.

Hogan was a great ball striker by all accounts, however let's not include him because of his majors in an era where most guys didn't even play full time.

Ah OK, I was wondering if you had thought he had won one but couldn't include him because the other guys were better.
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x
    MattyO1984 wrote:

Schley wrote:

MattyO1984 wrote:

Ah OK, I was wondering if you had thought he had won one but couldn't include him because the other guys were better.

Johnny Miller said during his 15 year prime, Montgomerie was the equal of any golfer as a ball striker in history. If only he would have hit the 6 iron on the 72 hole at Winged Foot!!!!!! After Phil was fxxxxxg around way left of the fairway he went back and pulled 7i......... and as we know left it short and out of the playoff with Ogilvy. That was Montgomerie's best chance.
    Schley wrote:

MattyO1984 wrote:

Schley wrote:

MattyO1984 wrote:

Johnny Miller said during his 15 year prime, Montgomerie was the equal of any golfer as a ball striker in history. If only he would have hit the 6 iron on the 72 hole at Winged Foot!!!!!! After Phil was fxxxxxg around way left of the fairway he went back and pulled 7i......... and as we know left it short and out of the playoff with Ogilvy. That was Montgomerie's best chance.

Agreed that it was definitely his best chance, although it was actually Vijay that was messing about taking his time. Monty was ahead of Phil in the groupings.
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x
  • oldpalchampoldpalchamp Members Posts: 1,204 ✭✭
    I would definitely have the 2 Nick's on the list, Faldo and Price. I think both of them, in their prime, were definitely better ball strikers than Greg Norman, or Tom Watson.
    MattyO1984 wrote:

Schley wrote:

MattyO1984 wrote:

Schley wrote:

MattyO1984 wrote:

Agreed that it was definitely his best chance, although it was actually Vijay that was messing about taking his time. Monty was ahead of Phil in the groupings.

You are correct.
  • DLBTide7DLBTide7 Birmingham, ALMembers Posts: 93 ✭✭
    edited Mar 15, 2019 11:31am #17
    Another vote for the two Nick’s: Faldo and Price.

Neither were long off the tee or the greatest of putters; they won because of their brilliant iron play.

And I have to mention that both were Leadbetter disciples- just to irritate the anti-Lead faction. :-)
    PXG Gen2 XF Driver
    PXG Gen2 X 3 metal
    PXG Gen2 17 degree hybrid
    PXG Gen2 XF Irons, 4-Gap
    PXG milled wedges, 56 and 60
    PXG Mustang putter
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 11,645 ✭✭
    Miller makes fun of how bad Watson hit it
    Ping G400 LST 11* Mitsu TI BB Matte 53x
    Callaway GBB 3w 14* Mitsu Blueboard 63x
    Ping G400 5w 17* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Callaway V-series Hwood Fuji TS 8.2s
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fujikura 904HBs
    Ping Rapture 5-PW Aldila NV MLTi Pro105x
    Ping iWedge 50* Aldila NV 105x
    Ping Glide SS 53* & ES 59* Wrx SF125s
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 11,645 ✭✭
    Weiskopf

Adam Scott

Lee Trevino

Bobby Jones

Byron Nelson

Hogan out? Really?

Norman was known for his driving ability not his all around ball striking
    Ping G400 LST 11* Mitsu TI BB Matte 53x
    Callaway GBB 3w 14* Mitsu Blueboard 63x
    Ping G400 5w 17* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Callaway V-series Hwood Fuji TS 8.2s
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fujikura 904HBs
    Ping Rapture 5-PW Aldila NV MLTi Pro105x
    Ping iWedge 50* Aldila NV 105x
    Ping Glide SS 53* & ES 59* Wrx SF125s
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,620 ClubWRX
    cardoustie wrote:

Doesn’t Miller make fun of basically everyone and everything? That’s why I wasn’t sad to see him go. And now it’s why I wish he was back!��
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • dlygrissedlygrisse Members Posts: 13,013 ✭✭
    Really hard not to consider:

Trevino

Hogan

Sneed

Nelson

Demaret

Nicklaus and Watson were great players but Tom didnt really learn how to hit it well till AFTER he quit winning majors. He won majors with putting and short game.

Jack is very underrated as a ball striker, but I think he was a step below most of these guys. He won because of mental toughness more than anything.

Ping G400
    Callaway Rogue 3w, HW
    Ping G 4 hybrid
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS
    Vokey 58 M grind
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
    edited Mar 15, 2019 11:52am #22
    First year they had the stat and at age 40, Nicklaus blew away tour with his combination of total driving/GIR. Likely would have led many years before that. Kind of overlooked in debates about shotmaking skills (still take Hogan and Trevino) is reality - who hit it long and straight, hit greens and won. Tiger and Jack.

So, Jack, Tiger, Hogan, Trevino. Don’t give me some choking can’t hit it under pressure guy like Norman in the majors. Price burned bright briefly, but I’d give Faldo the edge ala Tiger and Jack. Miller also burned bright and was incredible for a time, but it’s not “ballstriker for a day”. Just another $.01.
    cardoustie wrote:

Weiskopf

Adam Scott

Lee Trevino

Bobby Jones

Byron Nelson

Hogan out? Really?

Norman was known for his driving ability not his all around ball striking

Wait you aren't even listing the two guys in your avatar????? Miller and Nicklaus? Isn't that hypocritical? image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />
  • gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,192 ✭✭
    Schley wrote:

MattyO1984 wrote:

Most guys didn't play full time? they played just about every week, without skipping like the best do today. Hogan took breaks because his legs demanded time off.

Hogan should lead your list.

BTW, Tom Watson became a very good ball striker after he stopped winning majors. When he was winning majors, he was a long but erratic driver, but a great putter. I'm a Watson fan, but I wouldn't put him on your list.

I would take Tiger off your list as well. He won with recovery, short game and putting.
    On Sundays, I used to play hickory
    dlygrisse wrote:

Really hard not to consider:

Trevino

Hogan

Sneed

Nelson

Demaret

Nicklaus and Watson were great players but Tom didnt really learn how to hit it well till AFTER he quit winning majors. He won majors with putting and short game.

Jack is very underrated as a ball striker, but I think he was a step below most of these guys. He won because of mental toughness more than anything.

I like your list. Hogan developed his fade after seeing Demaret's success with it.
    cardoustie wrote:

IN a conversation with Jim Thorpe one time, we agreed that most US Open courses were too tight for Tom Watson's tee game. He said that Pebble was probably the only Open course that Tom could win on.
    gvogel wrote:

I would take Tiger off your list as well. He won with recovery, short game and putting.
    The greatest iron player of all time you mean? He also had great recovery, short game and a tremendously consistent clutch putter yes. However,that is like saying Michael Jordan was a great scorer and discounting his defense, which he was the defensive player of the year one year and first team all defensive team multiple times as well as being the best offensive player of all time.
    Schley wrote:

MattyO1984 wrote:

Those guys played a ton.
  • fowlerscousinfowlerscousin Members Posts: 791 ✭✭
    Tiger

Rory

Hogan

Trevino

Snead
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

Schley wrote:

MattyO1984 wrote:

Those guys played a ton.
    Many including Nicklaus, IIRC in his first years worked part time in other professions. It wasn't a full time , year round profession for almost any of them. You couldn't make a living for most until Mark Macormack and Arnie started to get into commercializing themselves with promoting products and getting sponsors,etc.

The top guys could devout more time to the game where the journeyman, which were most of the players had to work in other professions to support themselves and their families.
  • hell_is_chromehell_is_chrome Members Posts: 927 ✭✭
    Hogan is hands down a top 5 ballstriker. He believed that Lee Trevino was his only peer to the point that Ben would bring new clubs to Lee to test before bringing them to market. So there's 2. Vijay Singh couldn't putt. At all. And he won 3 majors in the era of Tiger. There's 3. The rest I'm not sure but I know Tom Watson isn't on the list. He became a great ballstriker AFTER he stopped winning majors.