ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Is there an ideal body type for golf?

What I mean are there ideal arm/leg/torso proportions? Has anybody compiled data? The tour of course is populated with all kinds of body types but as an amateur I'm thinking there is some benefit if you have a genetic leg up?

I'm characterized as a torso man, thanks to the old man. I top out at 6 foot. The rest of my family are all monsters in the 6 two to three and above range. I have shorter legs like at about a 32 inseam and the rest is torso and arms built for hauling suitcases!

When I do the wingspan drill I come in at 6 four which is an advantage for swimming but not so much for golf me thinks. When I take my stance with a little leg flex my arms are hanging pretty low which I believe forces me into a flatter swing.

When I choke down on the club I feel more free to swing and make better contact but I lose distance.

Is the wrist to floor measure a good method of base-lining club length because its a static exercise and doesn't account for dynamic action?

Just musing out loud...TGIF! Players weekend!

Comments

• CaddiesFaultCaddiesFault Golf Professional Advanced Members Posts: 775 ✭✭
    You see a lot more tall, lanky players on tour these days. Longer levers = longer shots. Id like to see some data on it too, but the tour is def getting taller.
    Callaway
  • hoselrockerhoselrocker Members Posts: 32

You see a lot more tall, lanky players on tour these days. Longer levers = longer shots. Id like to see some data on it too, but the tour is def getting taller.

Yeah were making bigger kids these days. My daughters boyfriend is 6 four. He's not an avid golfer but once a year we get out for a round. This kid gets up on the tee and with no practice just pounds it. Kind of answers my question I suppose...
  • hybrid25hybrid25 Advanced Members Posts: 1,496 ✭✭

Rory McIlroy

5' 9"

161 lbs
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 23,995 ClubWRX
    Adam Scott - 1 major

Craig Stadler - 1 major

The ball doesn't care what your body looks like.
    hybrid25 wrote:

Rory McIlroy

5' 9"

161 lbs

Understood, but these guys are gifted pros with a full time job hitting balls. As an amateur though, there must be an athletic advantage if your levers are all well proportioned right out of the box?

I don't have well proportioned levers and therefore need to make it all work together somehow.
  • Krt22Krt22 Advanced Members Posts: 6,031 ✭✭
    hybrid25 wrote:

Rory McIlroy

5' 9"

161 lbs

Look at everyone else in the top 20. A large majority are 6ft+.

There will always be outliers much mechanical advantage is a never a bad thing
  • chigolfer1chigolfer1 Advanced Members Posts: 755 ✭✭

On the other hand, I'm 6'2", skinny and lanky and I suck, lol.
  • NikeGolferTXNikeGolferTX Advanced Members Posts: 301 ✭✭
    IMO long forearms, long torso and shorter legs for lower center of gravity.
  • SirFuegoSirFuego Advanced Members Posts: 153 ✭✭

What I mean are there ideal arm/leg/torso proportions? Has anybody compiled data? The tour of course is populated with all kinds of body types but as an amateur I'm thinking there is some benefit if you have a genetic leg up?

I'm characterized as a torso man, thanks to the old man. I top out at 6 foot. The rest of my family are all monsters in the 6 two to three and above range. I have shorter legs like at about a 32 inseam and the rest is torso and arms built for hauling suitcases!

32" inseam is considered shorter legs for someone that is 6' tall?

I'm 6' tall with a 29-30" inseam and I need to wear "tall" shirts or I they come untucked anytime I rotate my upper body or lift my arms for something...
  • thejazzmarauderthejazzmarauder Advanced Members Posts: 88
    I'm 6'5 with long legs and short arms. It's not terrible, as I get plenty of distance without having long arms to have to control. On the downside, I'm a long way from the ball, so setup with short irons and wedges isn't comfortable.
  • PorscheFanPorscheFan Advanced Members Posts: 1,148 ✭✭
    There's a preferred body type for a cart girl, but I haven't seen any published research on that...

I think the great thing about golf is that there are plenty of ways to get the ball in the hole, and there's no body type that can't get it done.
  • ronstarsronstars #GetNaked Advanced Members Posts: 1,366 ✭✭
    This and this alone...absolute UNIT

The Big Dog ~ TM M3 440
    The 3 Banger ~ TM M2
    The 5 Banger ~ TM R11(Yet to be beat)
    The Metal ~ 96' TM Burner Tour/Oversize combo
    The Shovels ~ TM Tour Copper Face "U"
    Flatstick ~ Nike Mod 60
  • BB28403BB28403 Advanced Members Posts: 2,723
    Molinari 5’8, koepka 5’11 1/2, Spieth 6’1, Reed 6’, Fleetwood 5’11

Stop grasping for excuses why your game might be doomed. They can make you into a golfing machine IF YOU put the work in.
  • Matt JMatt J Advanced Members Posts: 8,548 ✭✭
    tall and skinny
  • Man_O_WarMan_O_War Advanced Members Posts: 2,662 ✭✭
    edited March 15
    Ian Woosnam.

The golf swing is easy at his height and plane. little maintenance needed.

6 feet on up... Faldo...gotta work at it like a dope head
    Cobra LTD Pro Matrix F6M2/F7M3/Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC/ Fuji 661 III
    Cobra LTD 3/4 Kai'li 80
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Kai'li 80
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Nike Vapor Pro Irons Modus 120x SSx2 4-pw
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
    Machine LN M6
  • ScratchyDawgScratchyDawg Advanced Members Posts: 314
    Ideal for what? Full swings? There are a lot of aspects to this game, and the ball doesn't care what you look like.
    [font="times new roman, times, serif"]"Give up control to gain control" - George Knudson[/font]
  • MelloYelloMelloYello Advanced Members Posts: 2,895 ✭✭
    Broad shoulders and narrow hips.

Greg Norman is the perfect example.

This is particularly evident on the women's side as the curvy types are out-numbered by a large margin.
    Driver: TaylorMade M3 (10.50)
    Fairway: TaylorMade RBZ Black (16.50)

Irons: Titleist 716 CB (3-Pw)
    Wedges: Vokey SM6 52.12 (F) / 56.14 (F) / 60.10 (S)
    Putter: Odyssey O-Works 2-Ball Red
  • tnotno Members Posts: 51 ✭✭
    If you want to refer to "how far people can hit the ball," then I'm not sure one's length matters that much. Louis Oosthuizen is 5'10", and that guy can pound the ball. Fowler and McIlroy are both 5'9" and they can drive over 3 bills. The advantage, I believe, is in the flexibility and core/leg strength. These guys are extremely flexible and have incredible core/leg strength. I think I can personally attest to this though. I haven't been working on my core/leg strength, but I have been working on my flexibility (I have also been using the SuperSpeed training system to increase my clubhead speed) for about a month, and I am already noticing a big change in distance. Not only has my swing speed increased, but I am noticing a larger degree in shoulder turn on my backswing. I am driving the ball over 300 now, and I'm 5'9". So based on my personal experience I don't think length matters as much as flexibility and core/leg strength. Those are the keys for hitting it longer.
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Driver | [/font]Taylormade | [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]M1 Driver 9.5*[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]3 Wood |[/font] Taylormade | [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]M1 3 Wood 15*[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Irons | [/font]Mizuno | MP-4 3-PW with Project X 6.5

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Wedges |[/font] Titleist | [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Vokey SM7 50.12 | 54.08 | 60.08[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Putter |[/font] Titleist | [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Scotty Cameron 2016 Select Newport[/font]
  • dcfasdcfas Tempus Fugit Advanced Members Posts: 843
    OP I have basically the same height, wingspan, and inseam. Never been called a torso man. Being 6ft with a 6'4" wingspan means I get plenty of mechanical advantage ,yet can still play standard length irons which translates to decent speed . When I get flat I suffer as well but I don't think it's my body to blame, just my setup and swing mechanics in general.
  • WesquireWesquire Advanced Members Posts: 629 ✭✭
    edited March 16
    BB28403 wrote:

Stop grasping for excuses why your game might be doomed. They can make you into a golfing machine IF YOU put the work in.

Reed claims he is 6'???

He's like 3" shorter than Spieth. http://cdn.bostonsportsextra.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/ryder-1200x640.jpg
    Driver - Ping G400 LST 8.5° (Mitsubishi CK Pro Orange 70 TX Tipped 1")
    3 Wood - Ping G 14.5° (PX HZRDUS Black 75g 6.5 Tipped 1.5")
    2 Crossover - Ping G410 17° (PX HZRDUS Black 85g 6.5)
    4-W - Ping i200 (PX 6.5)
    Wedges - Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50°/55°/60° (PX 6.5)
    Putter - Directed Force
    Ball - Snell MTB Black
  • NoTalentLeftyNoTalentLefty Advanced Members Posts: 3,426 ✭✭
    SirFuego wrote:

32" inseam is considered shorter legs for someone that is 6' tall?

I'm 6' tall with a 29-30" inseam and I need to wear "tall" shirts or I they come untucked anytime I rotate my upper body or lift my arms for something...

Me too . But mine has a gut that makes it come untucked.
    Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Titleist 913 D3 44 inches also a Cleveland Classic 310 43.5 inches
    3 and 5 Wood Ping G15
    3-5 Hybrids Cobra Baffler XL
    6-GW Titleist AP1s
    53 degree Wedge Titleist AP1
    58 degree SW Vokey SM6
    Putter White Hot V LINE Fang w/round Edel Grip
  • gsea33gsea33 Advanced Members Posts: 645
    No, Thats why there's not one identical swing. Square up the club face period.
  • BottleCapBottleCap Advanced Members Posts: 1,201 ✭✭
    hybrid25 wrote:

Rory McIlroy

5' 9"

161 lbs

I have a picture of Rory with my son who was way shorter than 5'10" at the time and my son towers over him
    Taylormade M3 440 Tensei CK Pro Blue 70S
    Titleist 917F3 15 GD TourAD BB 8S
    Mizuno MP-18 3-PW DG S400
    Vokey SM6 54S and 60K
    Cameron Newport 2 CT
    Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • dpb5031dpb5031 Advanced Members Posts: 4,935 ✭✭
    MelloYello wrote:

Broad shoulders and narrow hips.

Greg Norman is the perfect example.

This is particularly evident on the women's side as the curvy types are out-numbered by a large margin.

^^^Not so sure about this^^^

Nicklaus was thick through the waiste, hips and thighs. Not only is he the GOAT, but he was one of the longest "great" players relative to the field ever to play the game. Jon Rahm is is similarly built with that low center of gravity, as was David Duval in his prime.

Ian Woosnam is 5'4" with his shoes on and for a stretch was the longest driver of the ball on the European Tour. So much for needing long levers...lol!

Ben Hogan had extraordinarily long arms for his height but it didnt seem to hurt him!

Stads, Lumpy, and Aphibarnrat have been very successful and are notably well-fed.

I dont think there's truly an ideal body type, but I'd suspect being taller than about 6'4" does present some challenges.
    USGA Index: ~2

WITB:
    2018 Taylormade M3 8.5 Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6x
    Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 S
    Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green S
    Ping G 22 Hybrid (2 flat) - Ping Tour 80 S
    Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
    Ping Glide 2.0 - SS 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
    Taylormade Ho Toe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
    Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  • Redjeep83Redjeep83 Advanced Members Posts: 5,009 ✭✭
    edited March 17
    Flexibility for being able to rotate easily and create levers that deliver the club to the ball with room. Generally this is slender and flexible build. Being slender helps with having to walk the terrain of an 18 hole course and not get tired as well. Of course there are exceptions like John Daly etc but we are talking ideal general build. Look at tiger woods in 2000 as example and tiger in his youth,
  • BMCBMC Advanced Members Posts: 3,453 ✭✭
    Hogan and Tom Watson - 5'8". I don't think there's an ideal body type.
    Callaway Epic Flash driver
    PING Rapture 3 wood
    Cobra Baffler Pro 18* hybrid
    PING Eye2 3 & 4 irons
    PING i25 irons
    Vokey wedges
    Odyssey #1WS
  • oikos1oikos1 Advanced Members Posts: 2,222 ✭✭
    No.

The 7 golfers with the most PGA Tour wins
    • Billy Casper. PGA Tour wins: 51. ... 5'11"
    • Byron Nelson. PGA Tour wins: 52. ... 6'1"
    • Arnold Palmer. PGA Tour wins: 62. ... 5'10"
    • Ben Hogan. PGA Tour wins: 64. ... 5'8"
    • Jack Nicklaus. PGA Tour wins: 73. ... 5'10"
    • Tiger Woods. PGA Tour wins: 80. ... 6'1"
    • Sam Snead. PGA Tour wins: 82. 5'11"
  • BottleCapBottleCap Advanced Members Posts: 1,201 ✭✭
    Phil Mickelson is pear shaped
    Taylormade M3 440 Tensei CK Pro Blue 70S
    Titleist 917F3 15 GD TourAD BB 8S
    Mizuno MP-18 3-PW DG S400
    Vokey SM6 54S and 60K
    Cameron Newport 2 CT
    Bridgestone Tour B XS
    Krt22 wrote:

OP I have basically the same height, wingspan, and inseam. Never been called a torso man. Being 6ft with a 6'4" wingspan means I get plenty of mechanical advantage ,yet can still play standard length irons which translates to decent speed . When I get flat I suffer as well but I don't think it's my body to blame, just my setup and swing mechanics in general.

Cool. Do you set up tall and use more of an upright swing then?
  • BMCBMC Advanced Members Posts: 3,453 ✭✭
    For golfers in general, I think the LPGA players prove you don't have to be big and muscular to play the game at a high level.
    Callaway Epic Flash driver
    PING Rapture 3 wood
    Cobra Baffler Pro 18* hybrid
    PING Eye2 3 & 4 irons
    PING i25 irons
    Vokey wedges
    Odyssey #1WS
  • hybrid25hybrid25 Advanced Members Posts: 1,496 ✭✭
    oikos1 wrote:

No.

I think your post speaks volumes, along with one of the longest hitters today, Rory @ 5'9".
  • Redjeep83Redjeep83 Advanced Members Posts: 5,009 ✭✭
    edited March 17
    hybrid25 wrote:

oikos1 wrote:

No.

I think your post speaks volumes, along with one of the longest hitters today, Rory @ 5'9".

They are all in the ballpark of same height. Most of the guys on that list didn’t play in the current era though. Nearly all players go to the gym now and taller players and coming to the pga tour

Krt22 wrote:

Cool. Do you set up tall and use more of an upright swing then?

No, pretty standard, if anything slightly rounded shoulders. I just need to always watch from getting too flat. Verticle wrist hinge, good extension in the backswing
  • StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational Advanced Members Posts: 1,096 ✭✭
    edited March 17

I'm the same height and size as Rory. I might have 5 pounds on him. We both hit it yard. But I play off 18...So I don't know what I'm talking about.

There is no real ideal height. Your lengths of different limbs combined with flexibility combined with weight appropriation will eventually find a swing for your build.
  • GolfjackGolfjack All about the rotation Advanced Members Posts: 905
    LOL does it matter? Or OP is looking for excuses why they are not a pro? It's not like we can change what we have in terms of height and arm length. Hit ball. It doesn't care if you are good looking, or your swing is good looking, just path, face, velocity, attack/launch angle, and strike.

Like other raquet/club sports, being super tall isn't always better. I think the max is at 6'3. You can see how DJ has more lateral bend to compensate. Rory is an example of a guy on the shorter side maxing out his height potential. Xander is pretty long for his height too.

Even in say the NBA where body type matters a lot more, many teams in the past have drafted the ideal athlete type and flopped big time because they just don't know how to play the game at an NBA level. For the PGA it's even more important (athleticism vs mental). So I'd say... there is an ideal mind, not so much ideal body type. But then if you must then it's more along the lines of DJ or Finau. Longer levers effortless power. Or Rory who has crazy fast twitch muscles and easier to be consistent with ball striking.
    TM M4 Driver 10.5
    TM M4 3 wood 16
    4H (22) Aeroburner TP
    Mizuno MP-15 4, 5 iron, Project X LZ 6.5
    Mizuno MP-5 6-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
    Wedges Mizuno T7 50, 56, 60
    Honma HP 1002

Alternate set:
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9.5, Nike VR Pro 4-PW DG x100, Titleist AP2 712 DG x100 4-P, Callaway Jaws X Series CC Wedges 52 56 60, , Odyssey Arm Lock Putter, Gauge Design Eldik Putter with Superstroke Fatso 5
  • Bingo1976Bingo1976 Advanced Members Posts: 2,477
    Redjeep83 wrote:

They are all in the ballpark of same height. Most of the guys on that list didn't play in the current era though. Nearly all players go to the gym now and taller players and coming to the pga tour

Can you quote the research that you have into the average height of tour pros over the last period of time that confirms your assertion?

I looked at the top 5 at the Players and they are about 1.8 meters on average - Rors is 1.75 (at most, Vegas is 1.9, and the other 3 are 1.8 (about 5'11"). I think the average height of an adult western male is 5'10, so we are not talking NBA or NFL freaks here.

Man_O_War wrote:

Ian Woosnam.

The golf swing is easy at his height and plane. little maintenance needed.

6 feet on up... Faldo...gotta work at it like a dope head

Unless you see him in real life, you don't realise how fricking big Faldo is.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Matrix Ozik R[/font]
    [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]HiRev[/font]
    [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/font]
  • jasonfish11jasonfish11 Advanced Members Posts: 428
    How did this get past 5 posts with out the obvious.

Ideal golfer body is linebacker.
  • SuperbritSuperbrit Advanced Members Posts: 454 ✭✭
    BB28403 wrote:

Reed is not 6ft, he is no where near, i watched him in a practice round at carnoustie last year, im 5 10, and he was at best the same height
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]taylormade-small.jpg[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]M[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]3 [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]440 [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]taylormade-small.jpg[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]M[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]3 [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]15*[/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif][background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]Adams [/background][/font][font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif][background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]A12 pro ProtoG[/background][/font][font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif][background=rgb(250, 250, 250)] [/background][/font][font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif][background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]18*[/background][/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]taylormade-small.jpg[/font]TI RBladez Tour "N" Type 4-PW
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]taylormade-small.jpg[/font] MG Bronze 52/56/60
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #3 - Raw finish (but not meant to be!)
  • kyleluteskylelutes Members Posts: 56 ✭✭
    Long, lean and flexible!  
  • TheGoochTheGooch Members Posts: 30 ✭✭
    Agree. Michael Phelps build please.