Anyone besides me just not into the Mallet putters

oneaugusta ·  
oneaugustaoneaugusta  3135WRX Points: 232Handicap: 8.7Members Posts: 3,135 Titanium Tees
I know the mallet style high MOI putters are all the rage on the tour but I tried one at the end of last season and and start of spring and half to say I can't wait to get back to a blade style. I like it on longish putts but not on short putts and hated the lack of feel and feedback. I sorta did an unscientific at tours wins and blade style putters top the mallet style by 75%, correct me if I'm wrong but but very few majors.

Happy to be back home with a blade style flowneck. Anyone else have the same experience?
Posted:
Titleist 917 D2 GOGO 5 6S
TEE CB5 4 wood Fubuki Tour
Miura CB57's Nippon Modus 120
Miura custom raw 50 54, 56 Nippon WV 125
David Mills Custom torched Heritage SS flow neck
David Mills Custom Carbon flow neck Hertitage V2 with Nitride finish
David Mills GS Ming V3 flow neck
Byron Rincon DH89

Comments

• theothertwotheothertwo  2598WRX Points: 190Members Posts: 2,598 Titanium Tees
    Posted:

Honma TW 727 455s 10.5* Driver

Tour Edge EXS 17* 4 Wood

Honma TW 727 22* Hybrid

5 Iron Honma XP-1 6 Iron 26* 

6-PW Miura CB 57

Miura Tour 2018 52* and 58* Wedges

Miura KM 005 Putter

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16  9044WRX Points: 1,309Members Posts: 9,044 Titanium Tees
    oneaugusta wrote:

I know the mallet style high MOI putters are all the rage on the tour but I tried one at the end of last season and and start of spring and half to say I can't wait to get back to a blade style. I like it on longish putts but not on short putts and hated the lack of feel and feedback. I sorta did an unscientific at tours wins and blade style putters top the mallet style by 75%, correct me if I'm wrong but but very few majors.

Happy to be back home with a blade style flowneck. Anyone else have the same experience?

I wouldnt say they are all the rage. It's still about 50/50 and many of those considered mallers are something like the GOLO 5 kind of shape. At the end of the day, it's what shape fits your eye the most but also it is about fitting. High MOI mallets launch the ball higher...so if you already hit up on your putts, you may launch the ball a bit more and not get ideal roll (which is my case).

If I play mallets, I need to use them around 1* loft vs a blade at around 3*.
    Posted:
    D - Epic SZ | Tour Z Xtreme 465
    3w - '16 Tour Issue M1 (16.5*) | Diamana B 70
    5w - '17 M1 | Tensei Pro Blue 70
    4h - 818H1 | Tensei Pro White 90
    Irons - P760 5-PW | Modus 120
    GW - Glide 3.0 50/12 | S400 Tour Issue
    SW - Glide 3.0 54/12| S400 Tour Issue
    LW - Glide 3.0 58/10 | S400 Tour Issue
    P - Odyssey Big 7 Arm Lock or Custom EVNROLL ER5
    Ball - Bridgestone BXS

• JunkerJorgeJunkerJorge  353WRX Points: 155Members Posts: 353 Greens
    Just out of curiosity, what mallet did you try?
    Posted:
  • LUMALUMA I Am My Greatest Downfall St. Johns / Jacksonville Florida 2374WRX Points: 135Members Posts: 2,374 Platinum Tees
    I dont like them, but I do putt well with them. I had an Odysee 2 ball yeeeears back and I could not miss long putts with that thing. I just feel more comfortable with my Scotty blade putters standing over a putt. I've also changed my putting stroke and setup over the years to better fit a blade putter. I feel more comfortable with standing a bit closer to the ball and a lighter swing weight with a bit of an arch.
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9 deg / Aldila Rouge
    Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana 70
    Callaway XR 19 deg Hybrid / Project X LZ S
    Titleist 718 MB PW-4i / Project X 6.0 
    Titleist Vokey SM5 50/54/58
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5
  • EgobblewobbleEgobblewobble  350WRX Points: 45Members Posts: 350 Greens
    I’ve tried a fair share of mallets and mid mallets and none of them have stayed longer than a round. I don’t mind them on short straight putts but I feel they lack in feel and make me want to control my stroke too much. I like the idea of forgiveness on miss hits but the lack of touch brings on longer second putts. I’ll stick to my anser style putters they just feel so much more natural and I hate the looks of a big chunk of metal behind the ball
    Posted:
    That dog'll hunt
  • LUMALUMA I Am My Greatest Downfall St. Johns / Jacksonville Florida 2374WRX Points: 135Members Posts: 2,374 Platinum Tees

I’ve tried a fair share of mallets and mid mallets and none of them have stayed longer than a round. I don’t mind them on short straight putts but I feel they lack in feel and make me want to control my stroke too much. I like the idea of forgiveness on miss hits but the lack of touch brings on longer second putts. I’ll stick to my anser style putters they just feel so much more natural and I hate the looks of a big chunk of metal behind the ball

Yeah, I love them on straighter putts. Putts with a lot of movement or speed control, not so much.
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9 deg / Aldila Rouge
    Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana 70
    Callaway XR 19 deg Hybrid / Project X LZ S
    Titleist 718 MB PW-4i / Project X 6.0 
    Titleist Vokey SM5 50/54/58
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Advertisement
  • kmay__kmay__ niagara, ontario, canada.  439WRX Points: 269Members Posts: 439 Greens
    I picked up a #7 last year to play around with, couldn't get used to the look of it, went back to anser style.
    Posted:
    TM 17' M2 9.5*
    Cobra Baffler 3w 16*
    PING G30 4h 22*
    TM R11 5-PW (Mizuno MP-4 for fun)
    Mizuno MP-T5 50*, 54*
    PM Grind 60*
    Studio Select NP2 mid slant 
  • manfrey4611manfrey4611 PA 8WRX Points: 29Handicap: Single digits Members Posts: 8 Bunkers
    I definitely agree with the idea that mallets are worse for longer putts. I also think the quality of design are starting to go down as well with all the big companies going for busier sight lines and alignment aids. Blades are so much simpler on the eye imo.
    Posted:
  • jholzjholz  1701WRX Points: 507Handicap: 7.4Members Posts: 1,701 Platinum Tees
    It's all a matter of personal preference obviously, and I think each option provides benefits and detriments.

After experimentation, stroke/score tracking, and some simple calculations, I came to the conclusion that a mallet results in better scores for me. YMMV.
    Posted:
    Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
    Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
    or
    Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
    Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
    or
    Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
    Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
    5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
    Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
    Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
    Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
    Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize
  • golfluvzmegolfluvzme  2737WRX Points: 227Members Posts: 2,737 Titanium Tees
    In my conversations with the guys over at Breakthrough Golf Technologies, the Stability Shaft guys, I learned a few things. Their testing showed that a blade-type or Anser-style putter has a lot less twisting on off-center hits that a mallet. How is THAT for going against what the marketing says for a lot of the bigger mallet putters? I could try to explain my theory and how this happens with the blades, but without having my hands to show what I am talking about, I'm 99% sure I'd struggle to explain it correctly. Just my opinion that the testing for BGT was about as completely non-biased when it comes to putter heads, brands and sizes, as could be possible. They are just the shaft guys and the shaft will fit most putters heads on the market today.

I love to look at mallets and some of my favorite shapes are the Zebra or Scott's Caliente', but if I am putting a putter down behind a ball, my eyes really want something like a blade.

Just one Mann's thoughts. Take 'em with a grain of salt.

LaMont in AZ
    Posted:
  • FairwayFredFairwayFred  4366WRX Points: 547Sponsors Posts: 4,366 Titanium Tees
    golfluvzme wrote:

In my conversations with the guys over at Breakthrough Golf Technologies, the Stability Shaft guys, I learned a few things. Their testing showed that a blade-type or Anser-style putter has a lot less twisting on off-center hits that a mallet. How is THAT for going against what the marketing says for a lot of the bigger mallet putters? I could try to explain my theory and how this happens with the blades, but without having my hands to show what I am talking about, I'm 99% sure I'd struggle to explain it correctly. Just my opinion that the testing for BGT was about as completely non-biased when it comes to putter heads, brands and sizes, as could be possible. They are just the shaft guys and the shaft will fit most putters heads on the market today.

I love to look at mallets and some of my favorite shapes are the Zebra or Scott's Caliente', but if I am putting a putter down behind a ball, my eyes really want something like a blade.

LaMont in AZ

It goes against conventional thought but in general anser style blades have higher moi than most mallets. The main determining factor of moi in a single material putter is heel to toe length and most mallets are shorter heel to toe.

I also have a personal theory that putters with COGs more toward the rear of the putter are harder to consistently square at impact.
    Posted:
    FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
    Ari Techner
    National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
    [email protected]
    IG:
    Twitter:
    (still a huge club HO)

Advertisement
  • jokerusnjokerusn nice shoes Northern NJ 4922WRX Points: 347Handicap: 9ClubWRX Posts: 4,922 ClubWRX
    golfluvzme wrote:

LaMont in AZ

I know I putt better with a blade. And I putt best with a MannKrafted blade, especially one with a Stability shaft. Such a lethal combo! (This post is not a paid endorsement image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> )

But seriously, I've never putted better than when I started using the MA/66.
    Posted:
    M6 9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
    TS2 15°  Diamana S+ Ltd 70
    790UDI  PX Catalyst 80 -or- 818H2 19°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
    0311T 4i / Z745 5-9  Nippon 950GH 
    SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
    SM7 62M  KBS Tour
    putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *

(¬¬)
    OLD--WITB Link
  • tleadertleader  659WRX Points: 164Members Posts: 659 Golden Tee
    I struggle with speed/distance control with mallets. Don’t know why, but I always gravitate towards a blade and putt better. Likely a confidence thing as welll
    Posted:
  • Adam CAdam C  683WRX Points: 381Handicap: 4Members Posts: 683 Golden Tee
    I always found a mallet, especially ones with alignment stuff on top caused my eye to follow the putter head throughout the stroke instead of focusing on the back of the ball. Less is more.
    Posted:
  • golfgirlrobingolfgirlrobin Northern California 2382WRX Points: 413Handicap: 2.0Members Posts: 2,382 Platinum Tees
    I’m much better at aligning a mallet on longer putts but prefer an anser style on putts that break a lot.

You’d think that a mid mallet would split the difference, but not so much.

Posted:
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5*
    Fairway: Epic Flash 14* & 20*
    Hybrid: Ping G410 22*
    Irons: TaylorMade M CGB 6-SW
    Wedges: Callaway PM Grind 59* and 64*
    Putter: Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch
    Ball:  Titleist Pro V1 
  • sheldonjhackersheldonjhacker  3757WRX Points: 179Members Posts: 3,757 Titanium Tees
    Z1ggy16 wrote:

oneaugusta wrote:

I wouldnt say they are all the rage. It's still about 50/50 and many of those considered mallers are something like the GOLO 5 kind of shape. At the end of the day, it's what shape fits your eye the most but also it is about fitting. High MOI mallets launch the ball higher...so if you already hit up on your putts, you may launch the ball a bit more and not get ideal roll (which is my case).

If I play mallets, I need to use them around 1* loft vs a blade at around 3*.

^^^this. My Golo5 style works for me. Minimal toe-hang, looks great at address-very clean, no insert. image/nyam.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':nyam:' />
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • A.PrinceyA.Princey Major Hacker  2439WRX Points: 493Handicap: 3Members Posts: 2,439 Platinum Tees
    I've been watching the coverage at the Players and some guys' mallets look like old PC hard-drives attached to a shaft. Seriously, dinner plate sized putters, how is that not distracting? To each their own I guess....
    Posted:

Titleist 915D2 10.5*, Fujikura Pro 70X 43.5"
    Ping G SFT 16*, Matrix 8Q3-X 41.5"
    Ping OG Rapture 2-U, DG XP - R300
    Vokey 56(57*), 60(63*) DG-R400
    "Rusty" Byron DH89 Pipeneck, 34" (or any of 10  2 other putters...)

B330-RX

• BIG STUBIG STU  12560WRX Points: 3,177Handicap: 5.0Members Posts: 12,560 Titanium Tees
    Personally I never liked a mallet style putter. I have always preferred either a 8802 style blade or an Anser type. It is whatever fits your eye and more importantly your feel.
    Posted:

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock R shaft
    FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Mitsu Diamana R
    Hybrid Adams Boxer 19* Matrix Ozik R
    Hybrid Adams A-10 OS 22* Pro Launch red R
    Irons 4 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex 2 shafts
    SW Cleveland 588 56* TTDG Sensicore S-400
    Putter 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe rusty and lead taped named "Rusty"
    Bag(s) Old School Burton plain mini staff or Jones Classic

• BIG STUBIG STU  12560WRX Points: 3,177Handicap: 5.0Members Posts: 12,560 Titanium Tees
    A.Princey wrote:

I've been watching the coverage at the Players and some guys' mallets look like old PC hard-drives attached to a shaft. Seriously, dinner plate sized putters, how is that not distracting? To each their own I guess....
    Yep you are correct some of them look as big as some of my persimmon drivers. Kinda like a VW Bug on a stick
    Posted:

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock R shaft
    FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Mitsu Diamana R
    Hybrid Adams Boxer 19* Matrix Ozik R
    Hybrid Adams A-10 OS 22* Pro Launch red R
    Irons 4 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex 2 shafts
    SW Cleveland 588 56* TTDG Sensicore S-400
    Putter 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe rusty and lead taped named "Rusty"
    Bag(s) Old School Burton plain mini staff or Jones Classic

• caniac6caniac6  3272WRX Points: 915Handicap: 4Members Posts: 3,272 Titanium Tees
    I really like my old Anser2, but I putt better with a mallet.
    Posted:
  • MattM97MattM97  874WRX Points: 379Members Posts: 874 Golden Tee
    Like a few have said within 10ft mallets feel almost automatic but outside of that the performance drops mainly speed control.

I do like mallets mainly the toe hang or lack of toe hang really. Some blades have too much toe hang for my liking, that's why I went with an Edel E-3 for this year. Get the speed control I want in a blade I feel good with. Still might add in a mallet but who knows if the Edel works sticking with that.

The other thing I don't like about mallets is some can be way too busy when looking down on them.
    Posted:
    WITB - Lefty
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus - 9° Draw - Tour 65S
    Fariway: Cobra F7 - 15.5° Draw - Tensei Blue 65S
    Hybrid: Ping G410 - 19° - Alta CB 70R
    Irons: Srixon Z585 - 4i to 7i - Z785 - 8i to PW - AMT Tour White S300
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 51° - Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56° - Ping Glide 60°
    Putter Rotation: Edel E-3 - Miura KM-006LH - Toulon San Diego - and many more.
    Balls: TaylorMade TP5X
    Bag: Ping Pioneer

Advertisement
  • shredNECTARshredNECTAR  148WRX Points: 61Handicap: 11Members Posts: 148 Fairways
    Can do mallets. Tried a #9 odyssey and just never worked for me. Give me an anser style putter ANYDAY
    Posted:
  • Rob McHughRob McHugh Rob  1050WRX Points: 214Handicap: 13ClubWRX Posts: 1,050 ClubWRX
    I agree with the OP and Larry knows how I feel about mallets. There is only 1 ever made it through the door; the

LTD Cameron Del Mar Buttonback - and that only based on its looks.

I found what LaMont said really interesting as I would have thought the mallets more stable. I haven’t tried a mallet, so I am not really entitled to proffer an opinion. I just find the overall experience of using a blade putter enjoyable.

Rob
    Posted:
  • KaBoom21KaBoom21  1610WRX Points: 136Members Posts: 1,610 Platinum Tees
    Aesthetically, I prefer a blade, but my extreme left eye dominance makes me focus on the "squareness" of a blade at address/impact. A mallet just lets me swing the club and avoid steering.
    Posted:
  • ItsjustagameItsjustagame  1342WRX Points: 164Handicap: 8Members Posts: 1,342 Platinum Tees
    2018 tour victories where split almost evenly between mallets and blades. Appears they both work- just depends on personal preference obviously.
    Posted:
    GBB Epic 10.5 Project X HZRDUS T800 55
    GBB Epic 5 wood
    XR 3/4/5 Hybrid
    Steelhead XR Pro 6-GW - Mamiya Recoil 95/110
    Mack Daddy 2 50,54,58
    OWorks 2 Ball Fang Slant
  • BobbyLiteBobbyLite Robert M Dallas 181WRX Points: 49Handicap: 1.5Members Posts: 181 Fairways
    Can’t stand the look of mallets. I’m with ya!
    Posted:
    Rob
    Taylormade M3 9* - Diamana Whiteboard 73x Flowerband
    Cleveland Launcher FL 15* - Diamana Whiteboard 83x Flowerband
    Wilson FG62s - TT S300
    Titleist SM7 52/56/60 - TT S300
    '14 Scotty Newport

Advertisement
  • vmanvman  1357WRX Points: 218Handicap: ProMembers Posts: 1,357 Platinum Tees
    Anything will do as long as I hole putts with it.
    Posted:
    Post edited by vman on
    CALLAWAY EPIC SUB ZERO 9*
    CALLAWAY X2 HOT 3 DEEP 14.5*, 5 DEEP 18.5*
    CALLAWAY EPIC PRO 4-A
    VOKEY SM7 54.10, 58.08
    ODYSSEY 2M CS
  • Pi5seekerPi5seeker  887WRX Points: 120Members Posts: 887 Golden Tee
    I have never owned a mallet but when testing putters I tend to lag putt better but struggle with short putts.
    Posted:
    Cobra F8 9.5* Evenflow Blue
    Cobra F8 5-6 17* Evenflow Blue
    Cobra F8 Hybrid 19* Smacwrap
    Cobra King Utility 22.5* C-Taper Lite
    Ping I210 5-UW PX LZ 6.0
    Bridgestone XW-1 56* 60* DG Spinner
    Odyssey Strokelab Seven S
    Z-Star
    Clicgear 3.5/Cobra King Ultradry
  • shredNECTARshredNECTAR  148WRX Points: 61Handicap: 11Members Posts: 148 Fairways
    Mallets are the worst. Never felt comfortable with them. It also causes my eye to follow the mallet head through the stroke. Very distracting.  Sad!
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • BaitkillerBaitkiller  1791WRX Points: 189Handicap: YesMembers Posts: 1,791 Platinum Tees
    Last mallet was a Zebra. Loved that putter. Love my B60 and Betti 1 more though.
    Posted:
    Turn over damnit!
    Krank 9* Formula 5 UST Tour
    Adams 15* wasabi
    XXIO pro 5
    Adams Pro Gold Forged 3-46* / Steelfibers
    Vanilla wedges 53 and 58*
    Betti-1
    K-sig

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.