ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Lowest torque iron shaft available?

Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Advanced Members Posts: 7,024 ✭✭
Not sure if graphite has surpassed steel yet but I am looking to do a little experiment on my putter by removing the stock stepped steel shaft and toss in the lowest possible torque shaft around 120-125g... maybe even up to 130g. Single X7 shafts are pretty hard to come by so my assumption was that something like PX7.0 or maybe even Modus wedge 125 would be the next lowest out there in steel (I found specs on C Taper X and it's 1.8 torque Modus 125 wedge listed as 1.3).

This is my attempt to bypass the $200 cost of going with stability shaft and do it on my own with maybe like 90% of the results for 1/4 the price.
WITB
LTD Pro Kiyoshi White 65X
LTD Kai'li 70X
818H2 Tour Blue 85X
Apex Pro Smoke incoming!!
Stealth 2.0 50/10SS
Stealth 2.0 54/12SS
Stealth 2.0 58/10SS
TP Black Copper Juno
TP5X
Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

Comments

• CwebbCwebb Advanced Members Posts: 5,847 ✭✭
    edited March 15
    If you have to have a step-less shaft, then just go with the PX 6.5. It's 125 gram. Very stiff bend profile from butt to tip, which will always equate to very low torque in steel.

Heavier with steps, would be Dynamic Gold X100, X200, or X300 which is 134-135g.
  • GSDriverGSDriver Advanced Members Posts: 551 ✭✭
    Are there any high-torque steel shafts? Most data I've seen steel is about 2* +/- a small fraction.
    Epic Speeder 661
    Rogue 4 Wood Evenflow 75 Blue
    Epic Hybrids 3/4/5
    Apex Pro 6-P Recoil 110 F4
    MD Slate Forged 52
    PM Grind 56/60
    Odyssey 7S
    All grips except putter are Iomic Sticky 2.3
  • Stuart G.Stuart G. Members, Advanced Members Posts: 22,640 ✭✭
    edited March 15
    Sorry, can't really help other than to advise that you can't really do an accurate comparison of torque specs across different shaft manufacturers. There is no real standard to how those specs are measured so a 1.6 from one company could be less torsionally stiff than a 1.8 from a different company. Second they probably are not that useful anyways as the torque numbers generally are a representation of the torsional stiffness over it's whole length - but in the context of it's "potential" importance in a putter, it's really likely only the lowest 1' section of the tip that could matter (if it matters at all which is a different topic of discussion).

Of course it is an experiment - so you could always get several different shafts and do your own tests on the torsional stiffness. That would likely be the only way to get accurate info you're looking for.
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Advanced Members Posts: 7,024 ✭✭
    Stuart G. wrote:

Sorry, can't really help other than to advise that you can't really do an accurate comparison of torque specs across different shaft manufacturers. There is no real standard to how those specs are measured so a 1.6 from one company could be less torsionally stiff than a 1.8 from a different company. Second they probably are not that useful anyways as the torque numbers generally are a representation of the torsional stiffness over it's whole length - but in the context of it's "potential" importance in a putter, it's really likely only the lowest 1' section of the tip that could matter (if it matters at all which is a different topic of discussion).

Of course it is an experiment - so you could always get several different shafts and do your own tests on the torsional stiffness. That would likely be the only way to get accurate info you're looking for.

So perhaps the right question is what is the absolute stiffest tip available - I know not all companies measure torque the same way but I have to start somewhere I guess?

Obvious choices are C Taper X, PX7.0, X7 and Modus 120TX and even the 125 wedge. Don't care about steps or stepless...somebody asked about that above.

Stu - I also assume my Juno plumbers neck bore is meant for .355 shafts?
    WITB
    LTD Kai'li 70X
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    Stealth 2.0 50/10SS
    Stealth 2.0 54/12SS
    Stealth 2.0 58/10SS
    TP Black Copper Juno
    TP5X
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag
  • NessismNessism To measure is to know... Advanced Members Posts: 18,080 ✭✭
    There isn't enough shaft loading while putting to twist the shaft and affect face angle. The whole Stability Shaft concept seems like snake oil to me.
    Ping G400 driver w/Adila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
    TEE XCG6 3 & 5 fairway woods & CB Pro U hybrid
    Ping G25 irons w/Recoil 95 F4's
    Ping Glide 50/55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110's
    Ping Anser putter - the "real deal!"
    edited March 15
    Nessism wrote:

There isn't enough shaft loading while putting to twist the shaft and affect face angle. The whole Stability Shaft concept seems like snake oil to me.

Most people are biased either way I think, but I trust these guys a lot, and they say it isn't.

http://youtu.be/siyZ4Md45CU
    WITB
    LTD Kai'li 70X
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    Stealth 2.0 50/10SS
    Stealth 2.0 54/12SS
    Stealth 2.0 58/10SS
    TP Black Copper Juno
    TP5X
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag
  • NessismNessism To measure is to know... Advanced Members Posts: 18,080 ✭✭
    All I can tell you is that the shaft doesn't twist during the putter stroke.
    Ping G400 driver w/Adila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
    TEE XCG6 3 & 5 fairway woods & CB Pro U hybrid
    Ping G25 irons w/Recoil 95 F4's
    Ping Glide 50/55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110's
    Ping Anser putter - the "real deal!"
  • gvogelgvogel Advanced Members Posts: 6,994 ✭✭
    Z1ggy16 wrote:

Not sure if graphite has surpassed steel yet but I am looking to do a little experiment on my putter by removing the stock stepped steel shaft and toss in the lowest possible torque shaft around 120-125g... maybe even up to 130g. Single X7 shafts are pretty hard to come by so my assumption was that something like PX7.0 or maybe even Modus wedge 125 would be the next lowest out there in steel (I found specs on C Taper X and it's 1.8 torque Modus 125 wedge listed as 1.3).

This is my attempt to bypass the $200 cost of going with stability shaft and do it on my own with maybe like 90% of the results for 1/4 the price.

Good luck on that. But many of the best putters in history used somewhat "whippy" shafts - soft feeling shafts. Ben Crenshaw was one. A little feel in the shaft of a putter was desired by many of the best.
    On Sundays, I used to play hickory
    gvogel wrote:

Z1ggy16 wrote:

Good luck on that. But many of the best putters in history used somewhat "whippy" shafts - soft feeling shafts. Ben Crenshaw was one. A little feel in the shaft of a putter was desired by many of the best.

K but I'm not the best...

And many of the best used teeny tiny little wooden heads for drivers, but we don't see that too much on Tour these days do we?
    WITB
    LTD Kai'li 70X
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    Stealth 2.0 50/10SS
    Stealth 2.0 54/12SS
    Stealth 2.0 58/10SS
    TP Black Copper Juno
    TP5X
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag
  • tannyhobantannyhoban Advanced Members Posts: 1,792 ✭✭
    Z1ggy16 wrote:

gvogel wrote:

Z1ggy16 wrote:

K but I'm not the best...

And many of the best used teeny tiny little wooden heads for drivers, but we don't see that too much on Tour these days do we?

By the time you're all in on this you might as well just buy the **** putter. Jeezus.
    I'm only going to buy one shaft for this experiment. Found a project x 7.0 for 15 bucks on ebay.

WITB
    LTD Kai'li 70X
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    Stealth 2.0 50/10SS
    Stealth 2.0 54/12SS
    Stealth 2.0 58/10SS
    TP Black Copper Juno
    TP5X
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag
  • grochol17grochol17 Advanced Members Posts: 1,283 ✭✭
    Z1ggy16 wrote:

Nessism wrote:

Most people are biased either way I think, but I trust these guys a lot, and they say it isn't.

[media=]

My take away from this is that the guy putting did better for three putts with the stability shaft, which he's used for at least half of a season, than he did with a putter that he's never used before and has a 50g lighter shaft than he's been playing with.

A more cynical way of looking at it is that a company that makes their money doing golf club fitting and customization set up a very biased test to make it look like the $250 upcharge custom installed shaft is better than a putter that you can buy off the rack.
    Ping G400 LST, 8.5*, HZRDUS Yellow 75 6.0
    Titleist 915 F, 14.25*, Speeder VC 8.2 Tour Spec X
    Mizuno MP H5, 1&3 iron, C Taper Lite X
    Mizuno MP 25, 4&5 iron, DG X100 SSx1
    Mizuno MP 5, 6-PW, DG X100 SSx1
    Titleist Vokey Spin Milled CC, 53* & 58* (DG S300)
    Piretti Potenza II Rev 2.0, 375g, 34"
    Srixon Z Star / Z Star XV 5
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Advanced Members Posts: 7,035 ✭✭
    edited March 17
    Z1ggy16 wrote:

Nessism wrote:

[url="

Snake oil.

I have this great bridge for sale in New York....
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-9 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, 60-14(at 61) stealth, All wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag