ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Tiger's putter swing weight

MCPGAMCPGA Members Posts: 14
Did anyone see the golf channel piece on Tiger's putter with Scotty Cameron? He stated in that interview that Tiger liked the SW of his putter to be D2. My stock 35" Versa 7 is H+. Does a D2 SW sound crazy lite for a putter or am I missing something?

Comments

• LUMALUMA I Am My Greatest Downfall Advanced Members Posts: 2,335 ✭✭
    edited March 15
    MCPGA wrote:

Did anyone see the golf channel piece on Tiger's putter with Scotty Cameron? He stated in that interview that Tiger liked the SW of his putter to be D2. My stock 35" Versa 7 is H+. Does a D2 SW sound crazy lite for a putter or am I missing something?

I have a SC cut down from 35 to 33 1/2. Left the 10g weight in. It's lighter and feels good!
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9 deg / Aldila Rouge
    Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana 70
    Callaway XR 19 deg Hybrid / Project X LZ S
    Titleist 718 MB PW-4i / Project X 6.0 
    Titleist Vokey SM5 50/54/58
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5
  • tbrumbeloe13tbrumbeloe13 Advanced Members Posts: 669 ✭✭
    MCPGA wrote:

It is crazy light for a putter, but his is. I know the head weight is in the mid 320's. I think maybe 326g. It's not unusual for him to have a strip or two of lead tape on the bottom though. He does it mainly to get the weight up on slower greens.
  • LaznastyLaznasty Advanced Members Posts: 647 ✭✭
    Is it common to swing weight a putter?
    Taylormade M6 accra TZ6s
    Taylormade M5 5w GD AD-IZ6s 19°
    Titleist 910H GD AD-DI 95s 28°
    Taylormade P790 Modus 125x (4-AW)
    EPON Tour Spin Wedge shimada tour black 54° & 58°
    Lamb Crafted Camden
  • Matt JMatt J Advanced Members Posts: 8,548 ✭✭
    Laznasty wrote:

Is it common to swing weight a putter?

No not really.

Most folks talk gram weight of the head and the length. I think that leaves out weight of the grip which will counter weight the head weight, and the assumption has always been a standard steel shaft although that's in flux this year with some of the new shafts.

tbrumbeloe has it correct... he likes it light. It's a 320ish gram head, and I think it plays about 35 inches with that pingman black out that weighs about 65 grams.

As for the lead tape, most guys go heavier on faster greens not slower.
  • MCPGAMCPGA Members Posts: 14
    I putted for years with a Bulls Eye putter and I made tons of putts with that thing. So just for grins I just weighed it and it's a C9 so I guess D2 is not that crazy especially for tour speed greens.
  • CwebbCwebb Advanced Members Posts: 5,847 ✭✭
    In the past, "lighter" putters were the standard. Just like anything else, that fits some players well
  • TommyjTommyj Advanced Members Posts: 293 ✭✭
    MCPGA wrote:

I thought the same thing when I read about Rory's putter about 6 months ago (he's around D1), but just dismissed it because he's a total flake when it comes to putting. I've always had a putter in the D7- D9 at 35" but a lot of the mallet putter heads are getting heavier pushing SW into the E and F range.

Are you sure about your Versa at H+, unless its some sort of Tank version? I thought the 7 had a head weight of 340g which should put it at a mid to high D with a 60g grip.
  • A.PrinceyA.Princey Major Hacker Advanced Members Posts: 1,950 ✭✭
    edited March 15
    Uber heavy putters are for yippers and the fidgety folk!

Also, I think in relation to green speeds, Tiger actually prefers heavier on slower(opposite convention), possibly due to a stronger grip pressure required to move the head quicker, making it feel lighter.
    Ping G 10.5*, Fuji Pro 63-R 43"
    '16 M1 3w HL 17*, Xcon 7-S(untipped) 41"
    Ping Rapture 3i, AWT-R
    Ping G25 4-G, DG-R400
    Vokey 56(57*), 60(63*) DG-R400
    Byron DH89 Longneck 33" (or any of 10 4 other putters...)
  • FlaBoy239FlaBoy239 Advanced Members Posts: 356
    D2 is pretty normal for a standard blade putter
  • ValtielValtiel Konica-Minolta Bizhub Advanced Members Posts: 1,777 ✭✭
    Nothing super unusual. Maybe lighter by today's standards but not overly so. Putter are much more often subject to designs and modifications that make swingweighting less relevant e.g. giant grips and unusual lengths. I've had putters from D2 to E2 and I think my normal gamer is around D6.
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]taylormade_small_logo_blk.png M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX || ksfSEag.png 915D3 8.5* Diamana Kai'li 80x
    SYalW6s.png XHot 3Deep Pro 14.5* Fujikura Motore VC 8.3 Tour Spec X [/font]| | lfBLyra.png [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]SQ2 13* Diamana [/font][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Blueboard 83x[/font]
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]lfBLyra.png Tour Issue SQ2 17* Diamana Blueboard 103x || lfBLyra.png [/font][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]SQ2 15* Diamana Blueboard 93x[/font]
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]GY1PwYf.png Anser 20* Aldila Rogue Black 110MSI 105h Tour-X || taylormade_small_logo_blk.png V-Steel 21* Project X Rifle Satin 6.5
    iDRdfVu.png MP-H4 3i 21* Project X PXi 7.0
    iDRdfVu.png MP-H4 4i 24* Project X PXi 7.0
    [/font]
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]iDRdfVu.png MP-59 4i-PW 27*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    jWakdRa.png Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    R9admPL.png SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind [/font]
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Brunswick Precision FCM 7.3 SSx1[/font]
    jWakdRa.png [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Special [/font][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]62* Black Oxide V-Grind Brunswick Precision FCM 7.3 SSx2[/font]
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]ZSoHrb9.png Santa Fe Bullseye shaft
    WITB Thread
    [/font]
  • SixSixGolfSixSixGolf Advanced Members Posts: 382
    I use a 36" 2016 newport with the same Ping grip tiger uses and it came out to F3.
  • toctoc Advanced Members Posts: 2,640 ✭✭
    The second I saw that I thought to myself “there’s gonna be a lot of people on wrx asking how to get their putters to D2”
    Glove: ML
    Tees: 2 3/4
    Towel: white
    Repair tool: metal
    Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
    Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying
  • A.PrinceyA.Princey Major Hacker Advanced Members Posts: 1,950 ✭✭
    For starters, you need a really light head, 330 or less.
    Ping G 10.5*, Fuji Pro 63-R 43"
    '16 M1 3w HL 17*, Xcon 7-S(untipped) 41"
    Ping Rapture 3i, AWT-R
    Ping G25 4-G, DG-R400
    Vokey 56(57*), 60(63*) DG-R400
    Byron DH89 Longneck 33" (or any of 10 4 other putters...)
  • grochol17grochol17 Advanced Members Posts: 1,283 ✭✭
    SixSixGolf wrote:

I use a 36" 2016 newport with the same Ping grip tiger uses and it came out to F3.

Back when Scotty made that putter, his standard was a 330 g head at 35” long, which I think comes out close to D2.
    Ping G400 LST, 8.5*, HZRDUS Yellow 75 6.0
    Titleist 915 F, 14.25*, Speeder VC 8.2 Tour Spec X
    Mizuno MP H5, 1&3 iron, C Taper Lite X
    Mizuno MP 25, 4&5 iron, DG X100 SSx1
    Mizuno MP 5, 6-PW, DG X100 SSx1
    Titleist Vokey Spin Milled CC, 53* & 58* (DG S300)
    Piretti Potenza II Rev 2.0, 375g, 34"
    Srixon Z Star / Z Star XV 5