ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Is Jordan Spieth done being a Top 10 Tour Player?

vokiedokievokiedokie Members Posts: 28 ✭✭
edited March 15 in Tour Talk
Hey y'all, I want to believe in Jordan so bad. Some say he's actually overachieved himself by his current list of wins (especially majors), but I like to believe that he is the real deal and can compete just as well as anyone else.

What do y'all think? Has Jordan already peaked or will we see a resurgence of greatness?!

EDIT:

Just found this article and it hurts my heart..

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2825912-jordan-spieth-misses-cut-after-lackluster-players-championship-2nd-round
Driver | Callaway Epic 9.5*
3W | CallawayEpic SZ 15*
3H | CallawayRogue 19*
Irons 4-PW | Callaway Apex CF16
Wedges | Titleist Vokey SM7 (50*, 54*, 60*)
Putter | Scotty Cameron Newport 2
Ball | TBD

Comments

• darredondo09darredondo09 Advanced Members Posts: 162 ✭✭
    He's currently ranked 25, so for now I'd say ... yes
  • caniac6caniac6 Advanced Members Posts: 2,611 ✭✭
    #25, and dropping like a rock. It seems like every part of his game is suffering.
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Advanced Members Posts: 24,213 ✭✭
    Choo ? That you ?
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design AD DI 8X
    Ping i500 pre-production proto 3 iron Graphite Design AD DI 105X
    Ping i500 4-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged 50 54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Advanced Members Posts: 990 ✭✭
    And here we go again
  • SilverBulletsSilverBullets BMW Advanced Members Posts: 5,860
    The dude hasn't taken a Top 10 in 8 months. He's nowhere near a top 10 player on tour right now.

He's young, he will figure things out. He may never play at the level we saw him play a few years ago but he has an immense amount of talent and will figure things out.
    Taylormade M6 10.5* - HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5
    Taylormade '16 M2 15*
    Titleist 816h 21*
    Callaway Apex 4i thru PW - Nippon Modus 125 Tour X
    Vokey SM6 50*, 54*, 58*
    Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No. 2 - Scotty Custom Shop
  • DLBTide7DLBTide7 Members Posts: 62 ✭✭
    From GolfChannel.com...,,

Entering this week (Players) , Spieth sat in the bottom half of every major statistical category – a shocking slip for a player who, at one point in his career, ranked as one of the elite players in every facet of the game:

• He ranked seventh on Tour in strokes gained: off the tee in 2013. Currently, he’s 197th.

• He ranked first on Tour in iron play in 2017. Currently, he’s 116th.

• He ranked seventh on Tour around the green in 2015. Currently, he’s 132nd.

• He ranked second on Tour in putting in 2016. Currently, he’s 114th.

As Hank Haney stared (paraphrasing), “When a player comes to me we go to the area of most urgent need. With Jordan, I would not even know where to start”.
    PXG Gen2 XF Driver
    PXG Gen2 X 3 metal
    PXG Gen2 17 degree hybrid
    PXG Gen2 XF Irons, 4-Gap
    PXG milled wedges, 56 and 60
    PXG Mustang putter
  • BrianMcGBrianMcG Advanced Members Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Yikes.
    Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • dabuddabud John Members Posts: 35
    I honestly don't think he enjoys playing golf anymore because all he does is complain after every shot, good or bad

so unless he changes his overall attitude toward golf I don't think I'll ever be top 10 again
  • lowheellowheel LOWHEEL Advanced Members Posts: 5,799 ✭✭
    dabud wrote:

I honestly don't think he enjoys playing golf anymore because all he does is complain after every shot, good or bad

so unless he changes his overall attitude toward golf I don't think I'll ever be top 10 again

I guess its the first time youve watched him? hes like that when hes winning and #1 in the world.
  • gvogelgvogel Advanced Members Posts: 6,989 ✭✭
    Danny Choo, is that you?
    On Sundays, I used to play hickory
    I never really warmed up to him, but I feel sorry for him now. He did it with smoke and mirrors for a couple of years.

On the other hand, he has more game than Danny Willett.
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Advanced Members Posts: 24,213 ✭✭
    edited March 15
    DLBTide7 wrote:

Entering this week (Players) , Spieth sat in the bottom half of every major statistical category – a shocking slip for a player who, at one point in his career, ranked as one of the elite players in every facet of the game:

• He ranked seventh on Tour in strokes gained: off the tee in 2013. Currently, he’s 197th.

As Hank Haney stared (paraphrasing), “When a player comes to me we go to the area of most urgent need. With Jordan, I would not even know where to start”.

Haney is a hack. Only worse person to comment would’ve been Breed.

Wouldn’t know where to start ? Glad he admits it.
  • tideridertiderider Advanced Members Posts: 1,309 ✭✭
    gvogel wrote:

I never really warmed up to him, but I feel sorry for him now. He did it with smoke and mirrors for a couple of years.

please explain the "smoke and mirrors" he used ... tia ...
  • caniac6caniac6 Advanced Members Posts: 2,611 ✭✭

DLBTide7 wrote:

Can't really argue with those stats regardless of your opinion of Hank.
  • farmerfarmer Advanced Members Posts: 7,714 ✭✭
    I wonder if he started chasing length? I would start by improving his driving. That would make the rest easier.
  • imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy... Advanced Members Posts: 12,373
    According to owgr yes
  • Pent08Pent08 Advanced Members Posts: 867 ✭✭
    His game off the tee is easily his biggest issue. If his game keeps declining, his fan base won't be large enough to find his tee shots.
  • agolf1agolf1 Advanced Members Posts: 511 ✭✭
    😂😂😂😂😂
    Titleist 910 D2 11.25*, Diamana Ilima R-Flex (tipped 1')
    Callaway X Hot Pro 19* Fairway, Project X Velocity 6.0
    TaylorMade Raylor 22*, Raylor RE*AX S-Flex
    Ping G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    Ping Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
  • Big Cat 3Big Cat 3 Advanced Members Posts: 461 ✭✭

DLBTide7 wrote:

that podcast with the stammering and repeated whining about Tiger firing his **** ... pathetic
  • North TexasNorth Texas Advanced Members Posts: 3,878
    edited March 15
    Only 3 players made more birdies than Spieth in the first two rounds of the Players and only by 1.

Spieth made as many birdies in the first 2 rounds as Jim Furyk. And Furyk beat him by 10 shots.

Mind-boggling.

DLBTide7 wrote:

Haney is absolutely terrible.
    A poster on another site I frequent knows a PGA pro who says that Cameron McCormick has Spieth so full of swing thoghts, feels, techniques, etc that he is totally lost.
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Advanced Members Posts: 11,362 ✭✭
    A Choo Choo recruit
    Ping G400 LST 11* Mitsu TI BB Matte 53x
    Callaway GBB 3w 14* Mitsu Blueboard 63x
    Ping G400 5w 17* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Callaway V-series Hwood Fuji TS 8.2s
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fujikura 904HBs
    Ping Rapture 5-PW Aldila NV MLTi Pro105x
    Ping iWedge 50* Aldila NV 105x
    Ping Zing 2 BeCu s2 54.5* & s3 57.5*
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • 00steven00steven Advanced Members Posts: 144 ✭✭
    Jordan Spieth needs to figure it out quick to live up to the potential he has. He’ll still win tournaments regardless time to time but he has top ten ALL TIME potential.
    Driver: Taylormade M3
    3 Wood: Taylormade M2
    3 Hybrid: Taylormade M2
    4-PW: Titleist AP1
    Wedges: 52/56 Titlest SM5 60 Titleist SM6
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Golo 3
    Ball: Titleist ProV1x
  • randyfitzrandyfitz Advanced Members Posts: 270 ✭✭
    Go to butch....
    caniac6 wrote:

DLBTide7 wrote:

Did I argue with the stats ?

I simply said that Haneys stats running his mouth are just as bad.
    edited March 15

Only 3 players made more birdies than Spieth in the first two rounds of the Players and only by 1.

Spieth made as many birdies in the first 2 rounds as Jim Furyk. And Furyk beat him by 10 shots.

Mind-boggling.

I started to say the same. That points to a head issue. He’s still scoring. It’s jist the big blowup holes or shots.

Big Cat 3 wrote:

DLBTide7 wrote:

that podcast with the stammering and repeated whining about Tiger firing his **** ... pathetic

He lost me a long time ago with “ the popsicle “. Get a real job man !

https://amp.businessinsider.com/tiger-woods-haney-popsicle-2012-3

If you’re sitting watching tv with your bud ( who watches tv with a purely business relationship ) and he grabs a popsicle and doesn’t offer you one , you get up and get your own. If he says something you throw it at him. Haney was such a pansie that he tucked tail between his legs and not only didn’t get a popsicle. But sat and watched tv with tiger and sulked about it ? How can anyone respect a gutless wonder like that ?
  • lowheellowheel LOWHEEL Advanced Members Posts: 5,799 ✭✭
    gvogel wrote:

giphy.gif

DLBTide7 wrote:

I am not a fan of Haney’s; but his point was a good one and well founded.
    PXG Gen2 XF Driver
    PXG Gen2 X 3 metal
    PXG Gen2 XF Irons, 4-Gap
    PXG Mustang putter

caniac6 wrote:

DLBTide7 wrote:

We get it that you don’t like Haney.
    PXG Gen2 XF Driver
    PXG Gen2 X 3 metal
    PXG Gen2 XF Irons, 4-Gap
    PXG Mustang putter
  • rafalrafal Advanced Members Posts: 5,755 ✭✭
    Spieth is so irrelevant now, threads about him turn into discussion of Hank Haney's legacy instead.
    TM M4 10.5* Matrix Ozik HD6 S
    TM R15 3HL Matrix Ozik HD6 S
    TM R15 Rescue 3&4 PXi 5.5
    Titleist AP2 5-P PXi 5.5
    PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
    TM DLL+ 34.5"
  • randywildmanrandywildman Advanced Members Posts: 865
    rafal wrote:

Spieth is so irrelevant now, threads about him turn into discussion of Hank Haney's legacy instead.

Wow this is fun. Speith was about 3 or 4 putts made last year from winning, not one, but Two Majors. Dude is 25 has the scoring record at Augusta and has one green jacket and what 3 runner's up. If he is off a year or two, no big. If in 3 years he has not won or looks like he might never again, then this thread might be relevent.

rafal wrote:

Wow this is fun. Speith was about 3 or 4 putts made last year from winning, not one, but Two Majors. Dude is 25 has the scoring record at Augusta and has one green jacket and what 3 runner's up. If he is off a year or two, no big. If in 3 years he has not won or looks like he might never again, then this thread might be relevent.

Kind of true that he's only been off a year+. But he's not even close right now / late last year.

Tiger and Rory could have won two majors as well. And Adam Scott one. But none of them did...
    Ping Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    DLBTide7 wrote:

caniac6 wrote:

DLBTide7 wrote:

We get it that you don’t like Haney.

Well. When he’s the constant point of reference used in these hit piece threads , someone has to point out that he’s really got no room to discuss other people’s short comings.
  • iBanestoiBanesto Niclas Fasth Advanced Members Posts: 4,389 ✭✭
    Is this Baker-Finch-Duval-esque of a downfall?

But with 3 majors instead of 1 major.
  • Higgs66Higgs66 Members Posts: 24 ✭✭
    It's golf! It comes and goes, that's why the same person doesn't win every week.
  •  SwooshLT SwooshLT Advanced Members Posts: 6,925 ✭✭

Mind-boggling.

I started to say the same. That points to a head issue. He’s still scoring. It’s jist the big blowup holes or shots.

Big Cat 3 wrote:

DLBTide7 wrote:

He lost me a long time ago with “ the popsicle “. Get a real job man !

https://amp.businessinsider.com/tiger-woods-haney-popsicle-2012-3

If you’re sitting watching tv with your bud ( who watches tv with a purely business relationship ) and he grabs a popsicle and doesn’t offer you one , you get up and get your own. If he says something you throw it at him. Haney was such a pansie that he tucked tail between his legs and not only didn’t get a popsicle. But sat and watched tv with tiger and sulked about it ? How can anyone respect a gutless wonder like that ?

AND he's missing a TON of short putts!
    Based on his recent play, I don't think that Spieth should be on the Presidents Cup team.
    gvogel wrote:

Based on his recent play, I don't think that Spieth should be on the Presidents Cup team.

If it ended now, no. But I bet he would get picked.
    Ping Zing 2 L/S (57*)
  • rjp322rjp322 Advanced Members Posts: 3,104 ✭✭
    Is he currently lost? No doubt. However it’s very rare for talent to just completely disappear. He will figure it out
  • Roadking2003Roadking2003 Advanced Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭

rafal wrote:

I believe his problems started when he got mononucleosis ......maybe he still has lingering effects.
  • vokiedokievokiedokie Members Posts: 28 ✭✭

He's currently ranked 25, so for now I'd say ... yes

Haha, yes.. that's true.. I didn't realize how literal my question actually was, hahaha.
    3W | CallawayEpic SZ 15*
    3H | CallawayRogue 19*
    Ball | TBD

Choo ? That you ?

I actually don't get this, haha..

gvogel wrote:

Danny Choo, is that you?

I don't understand this reference!
    3W | CallawayEpic SZ 15*
    3H | CallawayRogue 19*
    Ball | TBD
    cardoustie wrote:

A Choo Choo recruit

3rd reference to "Choo" and I still don't get it, lol.
    3W | CallawayEpic SZ 15*
    3H | CallawayRogue 19*
    Ball | TBD
    vokiedokie wrote:

cardoustie wrote:

A Choo Choo recruit

3rd reference to "Choo" and I still don't get it, lol.

A little help. We went down this road a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1738818-jordan-speith-worse-drought-is-yet-to-come/
  • dropkickeddropkicked Advanced Members Posts: 255 ✭✭
    Not a JS, fan.. but I feel bad for the kid.. He needs to go full on Rockie 4...

WatchfulLegitimateArgentineruddyduck-small.gif

or not...

rafal wrote:

I believe his problems started when he got mononucleosis ......maybe he still has lingering effects.

Frank Nobilo also mentioned that Spieth had hurt his left ankle surfing while in Australia last year. Said very few people were aware of that and that maybe it had affected his swing somehow. Who knows.
  • Steele47Steele47 Advanced Members Posts: 1,133 ✭✭
    Oh cool. I see Choo's back in the saddle.
  • dlygrissedlygrisse Advanced Members Posts: 12,941 ✭✭
    To me it seems it’s his driver. When playing well he never hit it that long but knew where his misses were going. Now he seems to be chasing distance and a bad drive leads to a poor iron. A poor iron leaves a difficult up and down. A difficult chip leads to a tough putt. A missed putt leads to a loss of confidence.

I’d fix the driving first.

Ping G400
    Callaway V Series 3w, HW
    Callaway Steelhead 4 hybrid
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS
    Vokey 58 M grind
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
    The other night there was also a pretty interesting discussion with Chamblee, Nobilo, and Duval.

Basically talking about sometimes a player just needs to figure it out for himself without the help of teachers and gurus like Nicklaus used to do. I tend to think there is some validity to this. Saw Spieth on the putting green the other day and he would turn around and talk to McCormick literally after every putt. Heck, they showed Spieth just walking to the practice area and he and McCormick were carrying on a back and forth conversation that didn't really look like just a casual chit-chat.