GIVEAWAY: Vokey SM8 60* Wedge- ENTER HERE, PING Heppler Anser 2 Putter- ENTER HERE.

Jones player series or MacKenzie?

Mclancy94 ·  
Mclancy94Mclancy94 Members  280WRX Points: 102Posts: 280 Greens
Hoping for some first hand experience with the Jones player series bag vs the MacKenzie in nylon. I know in past threads everyone says the MacKenzie but the Jones at $160 seems like a really good deal if it can hold all 14 clubs with out tangling vs the $400 MacKenzie. Is the difference in quality between them big enough to spend the extra money?
Posted:

TM M4 12* Diamana S+ 60S
Still Searching
Ping S55 3-9 X100
Vokey SM5 47* F
Vokey TVD 52* M
Vokey SM7 56* F
Vokey SM6 60* M
Bettinardi BB40 Blackout 34"

Comments

• 6thFairway6thFairway Members  1861WRX Points: 152Handicap: 11Posts: 1,861 Platinum Tees
    Only you can determine whether it's worth the difference. Jones bags are great, but they aren't Mackenzie walkers, just like a VW isn't a Mercedes.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • slide13slide13 Members  1347WRX Points: 152Posts: 1,347 Platinum Tees
    The Jones is a good deal.  If you want a functional bag that does it’s job and nothing more, then it’s a fine choice.  While I don’t have that bag I do have a Jones stand bag and it’s very okay.  

Mackenzie is different.  The quality is incredible and it just feels better and more special.  I like them so much I bought a second (both nylon, one Walker and one Sunday Walker).  For me, the money I spent on my Mac(s) is the best golf money I’ve ever spent.  In part because it’s changed how I approach the game.  I now carry 7 or 8 club in my Mackenzie and walk as many rounds as I can.  And I enjoy golf so much more playing this way.  

Spend the $400 now.  Otherwise you’ll buy the Jones, use it for a while, wonder if you should have gotten a Mackenzie, and eventually order one anyway most likely.  
    Posted:
    Minimal: Titleist 913 D3 / Cobra F8 4w / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie
  • naws-golfernaws-golfer Members  1663WRX Points: 134Handicap: 3.5Posts: 1,663 Platinum Tees
    If you've never used a single strap walking bag, id go for the jones and give it a shot, then upgrade to a Mac if you want.

I love the Mac, but not enough for the cash, id rather have more shoes or like this spring...a new driver
    Posted:
  • gibbiesmallsgibbiesmalls Members  494WRX Points: 162Posts: 494 Greens

Go with the utility rover. It's the best of both worlds. I think it's the best bag that Jones makes. It's simply an oustanding bag. Great looking too.

If you're set on the player series or the Mackenzie, you can't go wrong with either. I have both, and truthfully, outside of the "Mackenzie" name....they're nearly identical. I've always liked Mackenzie straps better.

Posted:
  • Pwood28Pwood28 Members  421WRX Points: 112Posts: 421 Greens

I feel like I’ve been making this comment a lot lately, but...

If you have the money, Mackenzie Bag all day. The weight, the balance and the overall comfort is unmatched.

If budget is part of the equation, Jones bags are great and you’ll love carrying it.

I have two of each and love all of these bags, but my first inclination is always to grab one of my Macs.

Posted:
  • jbo89jbo89 Members  29WRX Points: 37Handicap: .5Posts: 29 Bunkers

Bought the Jones and wasn't impressed. Bought the Mackenzie and was blown away. Spend the extra money and get a Mackenzie.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • kiclub690kiclub690 legaleagles16 Members  208WRX Points: 83Posts: 208 Fairways

I just started carrying a Mackenzie. I agree that you should try something lower cost and similar first before investing in a Mack. I switched from a Ping 4 series after realizing I only carried with a single strap. I agree with the perspectives above, there is something special about a Mack.

Posted:
  • OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, ScotlandMembers  3390WRX Points: 1,202Posts: 3,390 Titanium Tees

I have a Jones Players Series Bag and I'd say its good value for money. Acquiring a Mackenzie bag in the UK is basically a non-starter as it would be cost prohibitive (shipping and taxes) so I can't compare. I really like the front pocket on the Jones bag being split into two. Does anyone know what the zip inside the big front-pocket is intended for?

Like many others I have used a double-strap bag but often ended up using just one strap. These bags are very much like the style of bag I used when I started playing golf in the early 80s. Its funny how things go full circle.

Posted:
    Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • texcellence86texcellence86 Funky Town, TXMembers  177WRX Points: 70Handicap: 10Posts: 177 Fairways

I have the Jones Classic leather stand bag back when they offered that option (yes I know not specifically what was asked) still a great bag on its own. Best of both worlds, has the classic look, padded top 3 way divider and great structure. I got the "stand" version as I have always used a stand bag, but when I'm not riding I find myself not really using the stand all that much and its great. Good amount of storage for everything but Jones did a great job of really hiding all the pockets so it still has the "classic" look.

Posted:

M2 10.5 AD-MDQ 7X

M2T 16.5 ilima 80X

U510 3i DG 105 S300

C16 4i DG 105 S300

716 CB 5-PW AMT S400

SM6 52.12F 56.10S 60.10V

Black Series 1W

• jcoltonjcolton Members  82WRX Points: 40Posts: 82 Fairways

On -, @gibbiesmalls said:

Go with the utility rover. It's the best of both worlds. I think it's the best bag that Jones makes. It's simply an oustanding bag. Great looking too.

If you're set on the player series or the Mackenzie, you can't go wrong with either. I have both, and truthfully, outside of the "Mackenzie" name....they're nearly identical. I've always liked Mackenzie straps better.

Currently trying to decide between the Utility Rover and a Mac, and this helps, but still hard to spend double the money on the Mac.

Posted:
  • payerasjlpayerasjl Members  861WRX Points: 109Posts: 861 Golden Tee

Like my boy jay z says “if you can’t buy it twice...”

Macs are fantastic, functional pieces of golf nerd art that will surely encourage you to walk more, take better care of your gear and will outlive 90% of other bags out there.

Posted:
    CLO-MIA-DCA-BOG
    Get scratch or die trying

Advertisement
  • ibradleyibradley Members  476WRX Points: 203Posts: 476 Greens

I have owned 2 Jones player series and the strap on both has been destroyed by the Arizona sun. I would pay the money for the Mac. I'm planning on ordering one.

Posted:
  • North ButteNorth Butte Members  11817WRX Points: 1,615Posts: 11,817 Titanium Tees

If you want to impress people with how much money you spend, buy the MacKenzie.

If you're going for cool retro brand bonus points, buy the Jones.

If you just want something to carry your clubs, by a Sun Mountain.

Posted:
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • Nixhex524Nixhex524 ClubWRX  4790WRX Points: 536Handicap: 3.2Posts: 4,790 ClubWRX

On -, @ibradley said:

I have owned 2 Jones player series and the strap on both has been destroyed by the Arizona sun. I would pay the money for the Mac. I'm planning on ordering one.

And 2 of these Jones bags is still not as much as the Mack.... IDK, it's all personal preference, but I value functionality at a good price. The Jones bags do just this for me. The Mackenzie bags just remind me of a CT Scotty... yeah, maybe be cool to say you have one, but a more affordable, cool looking option can do the job just as well and you aren't out a buttload of cash. Like mentioned earlier though, if your heart is really set on the Mack, don't skip it, just do it now so you won't live with regret.

Posted:
    Ping G400 9*
    Titleist 917f2 16.5* 
    Titleist 915h 21* 
    Srixon Z745 4-P
    Titleist Vokey SM5 50, SM7 56
    Toulon Palm Beach 34"

• ski350ski350 Members  150WRX Points: 40Posts: 150 Fairways

I want to start walking more and try carrying a minimalist set but also want to use my ClicGear for a full set. Does either the Players or Mac work on a ClicGear or is there not enough structure? Would want to use it with the handle facing up...

Posted:
  • SteelheadSteelhead Orlando, FloridaClubWRX  984WRX Points: 243Posts: 984 Golden Tee

I’d have to say no. Of course you can put them on, but the structure is limited on them. Had them both and miss carrying like I did in the PNW. Florida now Goin back to California, not as easy to be a walker.

Posted:

Advertisement

Thanks - going to look at the leather Sun Mountain Sunday bag. A little heavier but it looks structured...

Posted:
  • SteelheadSteelhead Orlando, FloridaClubWRX  984WRX Points: 243Posts: 984 Golden Tee

Haha, well put...sort of. When I carried either my Mac or Jones, nobody thought about any amount of money. They wondered why I’d lay my clubs on the grass and, where are the legs? Seriously.

Posted:

Do you use trestle sticks with your Mac or just lay it on the ground?

Posted:
  • ckayckay Members  4666WRX Points: 734Posts: 4,666 Titanium Tees

If you’re going to spend the money on a Mac then step up to a waxed canvas bag.

Posted:
    Taylormade M3 440 10* Tensei White Pro 60TX
    Taylormade M2 Tour 16.5* Atmos Blue 7x
    Taylormade M2 L.I.F.T. 2 KBS Hybrid Proto 85x
    Miura CB57 Nippon SPB X
    Vokey CF 52F/56M/60M S400 Onyx
    Cameron Cami & Co Newport Beach 34/350

WITB Link

If I go waxed canvas, it would be an Eliott bag....

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.