Jones player series or MacKenzie?

Hoping for some first hand experience with the Jones player series bag vs the MacKenzie in nylon. I know in past threads everyone says the MacKenzie but the Jones at $160 seems like a really good deal if it can hold all 14 clubs with out tangling vs the $400 MacKenzie. Is the difference in quality between them big enough to spend the extra money?

Titleist TS2 10.5 EvenFlow T1100 75g 6.5
Titleist 915F2 15*
Titleist TMB 18* Recoil 110X
Titleist 718 AP2 4-PW DG X100
Titleist SM4 TVD 51* M
Titleist SM7 55* F
Titleist SM4 TVD 59* M
Cushman Custom Golf Laguna 34"
Srixon Z Star
Mackenzie Walker

Comments

• 6thFairway6thFairway Members Posts: 1,845 ✭✭
    Only you can determine whether it's worth the difference. Jones bags are great, but they aren't Mackenzie walkers, just like a VW isn't a Mercedes.
  • slide13slide13 Members Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The Jones is a good deal.  If you want a functional bag that does it’s job and nothing more, then it’s a fine choice.  While I don’t have that bag I do have a Jones stand bag and it’s very okay.  

Mackenzie is different.  The quality is incredible and it just feels better and more special.  I like them so much I bought a second (both nylon, one Walker and one Sunday Walker).  For me, the money I spent on my Mac(s) is the best golf money I’ve ever spent.  In part because it’s changed how I approach the game.  I now carry 7 or 8 club in my Mackenzie and walk as many rounds as I can.  And I enjoy golf so much more playing this way.  

Spend the $400 now.  Otherwise you’ll buy the Jones, use it for a while, wonder if you should have gotten a Mackenzie, and eventually order one anyway most likely.  
    Minimal: Titleist 913 D3 / Cobra F8 4w / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie
  • naws-golfernaws-golfer Members Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    If you've never used a single strap walking bag, id go for the jones and give it a shot, then upgrade to a Mac if you want.

I love the Mac, but not enough for the cash, id rather have more shoes or like this spring...a new driver
  • gibbiesmallsgibbiesmalls Members Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭

Go with the utility rover. It's the best of both worlds. I think it's the best bag that Jones makes. It's simply an oustanding bag. Great looking too.

If you're set on the player series or the Mackenzie, you can't go wrong with either. I have both, and truthfully, outside of the "Mackenzie" name....they're nearly identical. I've always liked Mackenzie straps better.

• Pwood28Pwood28 Members Posts: 397 ✭✭✭✭

I feel like I’ve been making this comment a lot lately, but...

If you have the money, Mackenzie Bag all day. The weight, the balance and the overall comfort is unmatched.

If budget is part of the equation, Jones bags are great and you’ll love carrying it.

I have two of each and love all of these bags, but my first inclination is always to grab one of my Macs.

WITB (short set edition)
    8 club bag (play most of my rounds with this setup):
    TM M3 440 Driver - 10.5 degree - Evenflow Black 75s
    TM M4 Hybrid - 18 degree 
    NCW Large Cavity - 24 degree 
    NCW Small Cavity - 32 & 40 degree 
    NCW MB - 48 degree 
    NCW Wedge - 56 degree 
    Putter (Still way too many to list!)

IG: Filmooregolf
  • jbo89jbo89 Members Posts: 28 ✭✭

Bought the Jones and wasn't impressed. Bought the Mackenzie and was blown away. Spend the extra money and get a Mackenzie.

• kiclub690kiclub690 legaleagles16 Members Posts: 205 ✭✭

I just started carrying a Mackenzie. I agree that you should try something lower cost and similar first before investing in a Mack. I switched from a Ping 4 series after realizing I only carried with a single strap. I agree with the perspectives above, there is something special about a Mack.

• OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, ScotlandMembers Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have a Jones Players Series Bag and I'd say its good value for money. Acquiring a Mackenzie bag in the UK is basically a non-starter as it would be cost prohibitive (shipping and taxes) so I can't compare. I really like the front pocket on the Jones bag being split into two. Does anyone know what the zip inside the big front-pocket is intended for?

Like many others I have used a double-strap bag but often ended up using just one strap. These bags are very much like the style of bag I used when I started playing golf in the early 80s. Its funny how things go full circle.

Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • texcellence86texcellence86 Funky Town, TXMembers Posts: 141 ✭✭✭

I have the Jones Classic leather stand bag back when they offered that option (yes I know not specifically what was asked) still a great bag on its own. Best of both worlds, has the classic look, padded top 3 way divider and great structure. I got the "stand" version as I have always used a stand bag, but when I'm not riding I find myself not really using the stand all that much and its great. Good amount of storage for everything but Jones did a great job of really hiding all the pockets so it still has the "classic" look.

M2 10.5 AD-MDQ 7X
    M2T 16.5 ilima 80X
    M1 19 Diamana S 93X
    MP-H5 4i Recoil PROTO 100F5
    5-PW 716 CB AMT S400
    52.F 56.S 60.V SM6 DG S400
    Black Series 1W
  • jcoltonjcolton Members Posts: 42 ✭✭

@gibbiesmalls said:
    Go with the utility rover. It's the best of both worlds. I think it's the best bag that Jones makes. It's simply an oustanding bag. Great looking too.

If you're set on the player series or the Mackenzie, you can't go wrong with either. I have both, and truthfully, outside of the "Mackenzie" name....they're nearly identical. I've always liked Mackenzie straps better.

Currently trying to decide between the Utility Rover and a Mac, and this helps, but still hard to spend double the money on the Mac.

• payerasjlpayerasjl Members Posts: 771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like my boy jay z says “if you can’t buy it twice...”

Macs are fantastic, functional pieces of golf nerd art that will surely encourage you to walk more, take better care of your gear and will outlive 90% of other bags out there.

CLO-MIA-DCA-BOG
    Get scratch or die trying
  • ibradleyibradley Members Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭

I have owned 2 Jones player series and the strap on both has been destroyed by the Arizona sun. I would pay the money for the Mac. I'm planning on ordering one.

• North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

If you want to impress people with how much money you spend, buy the MacKenzie.

If you're going for cool retro brand bonus points, buy the Jones.

If you just want something to carry your clubs, by a Sun Mountain.

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • Nixhex524Nixhex524 ClubWRX Posts: 4,162 ClubWRX

@ibradley said:
    I have owned 2 Jones player series and the strap on both has been destroyed by the Arizona sun. I would pay the money for the Mac. I'm planning on ordering one.

And 2 of these Jones bags is still not as much as the Mack.... IDK, it's all personal preference, but I value functionality at a good price. The Jones bags do just this for me. The Mackenzie bags just remind me of a CT Scotty... yeah, maybe be cool to say you have one, but a more affordable, cool looking option can do the job just as well and you aren't out a buttload of cash. Like mentioned earlier though, if your heart is really set on the Mack, don't skip it, just do it now so you won't live with regret.

Taylormade M2 2017 9.5* HZRDUS Yellow 6.0 76g
    Titleist TS2 15* HZRDUS Smoke 6.0 70g
    Titleist 915h 21*  Rogue black 85s
    Bridgestone J15 CB 4-P X100 AMT  SS1x
    Titleist SM6 52/58
    Odyssey PT2 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file