Who is the slowest tour player

Comments

• Roadking2003Roadking2003 AustinMembers Posts: 5,301 ✭✭
    garrifij wrote:

I've followed Jordan on many holes at several different tournaments; he's never slowed the pace that I've witnessed live. I think he gets a bad rap because of The Open and the fact that he sprays it more than average. But in person, I think you'd be hard pressed to say he's a slow player.

Exactly! TV coverage can be very misleading.
  • Frankensteins MonsterFrankensteins Monster Members Posts: 6,680 ✭✭
  • Frankensteins MonsterFrankensteins Monster Members Posts: 6,680 ✭✭

gvogel wrote:

But Spieth's totally slow play at the open championship cost Matt Kuchar a major. It shouldn't take a half hour to figure out a drop, unless you get penalized for it.

Total lie.

Kuch played the five holes following Spieth's wayward tee shot in one under par so obviously, the delay didn't bother him.

But Spieth played the last five holes FIVE under par. Kuch didn't lose the tournament, Spieth won it.

And it didn't take a half hour for Spieth to play his second shot.

Don’t be stupid and bring facts to an irrational argument. How dare you?
  • freeze16172002freeze16172002 Members Posts: 95 ✭✭
    Furyk setting up to the ball and then stepping away would be annoying to play with, I know it is annoying to watch
  • Under2hoursUnder2hours Members Posts: 1,394 ✭✭
    elwhippy wrote:

About 50% of the field are slow. But the rules guys talk the talk but never go after anyone you have really heard of. It is as if there is a separate rule book for higher ranked players. For me Cantlay is torture. Fine player but moves as fast as a glacier.

And looks like a lot of fun to play with too. Never seen him smile or seem at all engaged.....
  • MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers Posts: 1,670 ✭✭
    How do you measure how long it takes a guy to hit a shot? From the time he arrives at his ball or the time from pulling the club to hitting the ball. Most guys, even the slow ones, do the latter pretty efficiently. It's the former that's the problem, and the 40 second time limit doesn't cover that.
  • dlygrissedlygrisse Members Posts: 13,122 ✭✭
    What drives me crazy is the amount of time it takes to get a ruling, make a drop, then go through the routine, get yardage etc. for something as simple as line of sight relief. Give the caddie a GPS. Simplify the rules and put an official on every hole.

It’s as bad as reviewing a touchdown in the NFL. totally destroys the rhythm of the game

Ping G400
    Callaway Rogue 3w, HW
    Ping G 4 hybrid
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS
    Vokey 58 M grind
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • HankshankHankshank Members Posts: 1,558 ✭✭
    edited Mar 16, 2019 10:19am #39
    What matters to us is what we see as the camera gets rolling. If they have a 5 minute conference with the caddie, the bystanders might me frustrated, but for us TV-viewers its what happends from that kind of the decision is made to take the shot until its executed.

And there Cantlay must be the worst. That trampling about drives me nuts. the 30 sec button is dearly needed. Guys backing up from the shot are kind of annoying too.

What you would like in the TV productions is that you could kind of tape the shots and just show 10 secs before they are executed. Guess tournaments will be shown like that in the future. Do away with all the pre-putt examinations and stuff.
  • ExTrumpetExTrumpet Members Posts: 473 ✭✭
    Golf needs to start doing like car racing and black-flag some guys--after the tourney if necessary. Some of these guys are ridiculous and deserve any and all heckling they get.
    Ping K15 10.5, Aldila NV65 X
    Titleist 904F, Aldila NV85 S
    Ping G20 17* Hybrid
    Ping K15 4 Hybrid
    Ping S56 5-W
    Ping Tour-S Rustique 50, 54
    Ping Glide ES 60
    Ping B60 BeCu
  • CaddykevCaddykev Members Posts: 428 ✭✭
    garrifij wrote:

I've followed Jordan on many holes at several different tournaments; he's never slowed the pace that I've witnessed live. I think he gets a bad rap because of The Open and the fact that he sprays it more than average. But in person, I think you'd be hard pressed to say he's a slow player. Patrick Cantlay on the other hand, makes my eyes burn. I could only follow him for a few holes before I worried that his putting routine would creep into my pysche.

At the Northern trust a few years ago when him and Dustin were in the playoff, on 16 Austin and DJ gave each other a smile as Spieth and Greller kept going on about what to hit. Austin then turned and mouthed “hit the f—big ball.” They were over a hole behind that day, and it wasn’t DJ. However, Spieth isn’t the slowest on tour.
  • Night trainNight train Members Posts: 2,823 ✭✭
    Padraig Harrington has to be one of the officers in the slow play club!
  • Holy MosesHoly Moses Members Posts: 10,463 ✭✭

How do you measure how long it takes a guy to hit a shot? From the time he arrives at his ball or the time from pulling the club to hitting the ball. Most guys, even the slow ones, do the latter pretty efficiently. It's the former that's the problem, and the 40 second time limit doesn't cover that.

Per the PGA Tour's rules, when it is your turn to play and you can play without interference or distraction. Counting yardage counts for the 40 seconds. There are a few cases where you get 50 seconds to play.
    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping i20 3 (DI-95S), 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • ArniesArmy1234ArniesArmy1234 Members Posts: 100 ✭✭
    JB and Ben Crane are annoying to observe. I get they are playing for huge stakes but c’mon guys it’s out of hand.
  • Texas1Texas1 Members Posts: 322 ✭✭
    edited Mar 16, 2019 12:29pm #45
    Tiger, takes him 10mins to hobble 200 yards
    Titleist 915 D2 Fujikura PRO XLR8 S
    Titleist 917F2 13.5 ATTAS6 6x
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW Project X LZ
    Titleist Vokey SM5 54f KBS Tour V
    Mizuno T7 50 & 60
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5
  • tideridertiderider Members Posts: 1,637 ✭✭
    who's the fastest player? ... rickie has to be up there, along with dj ...
    edited Mar 16, 2019 12:44pm #47
    tiderider wrote:

Those two are at the top. JT and Rory are also pretty quick. There's a player on the European Tour that averages 8 seconds for a shot, but I forgot who it is.
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • CaddykevCaddykev Members Posts: 428 ✭✭
    tiderider wrote:

In person DJ is pretty quick, but he always seems to be the longest in his group and last to hit as well so that helps. A few times I’ve followed him, if the group was playing ready golf I’m pretty sure he would of hit out of turn and gone a majority of the time.
  • PetethreeputPetethreeput Members Posts: 1,431 ✭✭
    I can’t see Aphibarnrat breaking 8 seconds in the 40 so I pick him.
  • KennyPKennyP Members Posts: 864 ✭✭
    Most of those nominated are American. Serious question; why is that, does it start in college?

KennyP wrote:

Most of those nominated are American. Serious question; why is that, does it start in college?

Slow play? I've heard the junior tournaments have a lot of slow play too.
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • KennyPKennyP Members Posts: 864 ✭✭
    Holy Moses wrote:

KennyP wrote:

Wow. That young. When I was a kid I was so keen I barely let the ball stop before I was ready to hit again.
    KennyP wrote:

Holy Moses wrote:

KennyP wrote:

Wow. That young. When I was a kid I was so keen I barely let the ball stop before I was ready to hit again.

Kids play like the pros. More coaching, more swing thoughts, kids take golf more seriously, and more is on the line in a junior tournament than ever before.
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • the bishopthe bishop Members Posts: 3,231 ✭✭
    tiderider wrote:

Snedeker and Matt Jones are pretty quick. They don’t mess around.
    Dynacraft Avatar Evolution 10.5* - Proforce V2 HL - S
    TM M1 Tour issue 14* - Maltby ProSeries FW - S
    Maltby KE4 Tour 19*/22* - Kuro Kage Black 80hy - S
    Maltby MMB 17 - DGS300
    W/S PMP Raw 52/56/60 - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    W/S Bucktown
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 4,761 ✭✭
    slow play GOAT as well

150630152553-jack-nicklaus-british-open-golf-st-andrews-super-169.jpg
    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings
    Bubba and JT played in 3:30 today
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • caniac6caniac6 Members Posts: 2,710 ✭✭
    I would guess there are no slow players since no penalties are ever given.
  • thesaxemachinethesaxemachine Hello, friends... Members Posts: 433 ✭✭
    I remember Bubba getting visibly (even for Bubba) agitates being paired with JB in...the match play? Anyway, JB is slow as molasses. Speith is slow as well and as much as I’d like to defend Day, he is a slow one too. As a previous poster mentioned, a lot of the worst offenders do seem to be American.

Honestly I don’t really care how slow these guys play, but showing slow play on TV makes me insane. Honestly, there is no drama in watching someone stalk a putt, or figure out a yardage. Just cut away to another shot instead of letting Roger Maltby blather on about someone’s routine.
    Rogue SZ w/ Tour AD GP
    M1 w/ Diamana Thump
    GAPR w/ KBS Tour Proto
    Srixon Z-765 w/ PX LZ
    Vokey 46° 50° 54°
    Hi-Toe 58°
    Bobby Grace Tour Diamond 3
  • ex0dusex0dus Members Posts: 500 ✭✭

Furyk setting up to the ball and then stepping away would be annoying to play with, I know it is annoying to watch

The thing that annoys me is when he starts taking full practice swings.... after he hits the ball.
    Cobra King Ltd Pro
    Nike SQ2 13*
    Mizuno MP630 clk hybrid 20*
    Bstone J40 DPC 4 iron
    Cleveland 588 mb 5-pw
    Ping Gorge wedges 56*, 52*
    Cally Mack Daddy PM grind 60*
    Machine adjuster putter
    Bridgestone 330 ball
  • iBanestoiBanesto Niclas Fasth Members Posts: 4,451 ✭✭
    edited Mar 16, 2019 9:26pm #60

slow play GOAT as well

150630152553-jack-nicklaus-british-open-golf-st-andrews-super-169.jpg

-- "Some golfers today remind me of kids walking to school and praying to be late." -- Jimmy Demaret

-- "He was clean-shaven when we teed off." -- Lee Trevino on the notoriously slow Bernhard Langer and his beard stubble after a round.

-- "Like Jack Nicklaus. Very good and very slow." -- Roberto de Vicenzo, reviewing an Augusta restaurant.

-- "The slow-play habit, let me say, is like the cigarette habit -- it is so hard to break that a man is wisest not to begin it." -- Jack Nicklaus

-- "There is not the slightest doubt in my own mind that golf as played in the United States is the slowest in the world." -- Henry Longhurst

-- "They ought to invoke the same-day rule." -- Paul Azinger on the Bernhard Langer-Nick Faldo tandem in the 1995 Ryder Cup

-- "The only thing slower than slow play is getting someone to do something about it." -- Lanny Wadkins

https://www.golfdige...as-clean-shaven
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members Posts: 4,803 ✭✭
    Funniest thing I have ever seen when it came to slow play was at the Dunhill Links in 2017. We were at Carnoustie on the Friday and I forget who Shane Lowry was playing with but he was none too impressed. Lowry had missed the fairway to the right of 14 but he had a good lie and was still able to go for the green. His playing partner was in the bunker on the left. No chance of going for the green, none at all, it was so bad Phil would have been laying up. Anyway, the guy decides that he was going to go for it and he was waiting for the green some 230 yards away to clear.

Lowry is stood about 5 feet away from us and starts speaking to his caddie. There is just something about the Irish accent when it is p'd off and using all the four letter words you could imagine under the sun.

The entire time he was waiting in between taking drinks of his coffee he was explaining to his caddie in expletive filled sentence just why it was ridiculous that his playing partner was laying up. There were maybe 4 or 5 of us stood watching and we were all like school kids getting a row in front of the class. Trying not to laugh but failing to stifle it completely.

Holy Moses wrote:

Bubba and JT played in 3:30 today

I tried to check in on the early coverage and couldn't believe how far round they had gotten.
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow White T1100
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08, 54.10 & 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x