ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

It’s time golf and I take a break from each other...

LeftDaddyLeftDaddy Advanced Members Posts: 587 ✭✭
I mean, I’m through with this relationship. I give and give and give...money, time, emotion. And I spend so much time with golf that wife is starting to wonder what I’m doing while gone so long.

And even though I give and give, golf gives me nothing back. I mean, yeah, I get in the hole quickly sometimes but I spend so much more time seeking the hole than finding it. And I try every thing I can think of and none of it works.

In all seriousness, I spend so much money and time on golf, and I still suck. I thought I had it somewhat figured it out after a visit to my coach the other day, but apparently not. I played today and looked like a moron for about half of the holes. I’m getting as close to quitting as I’ve been in a long time.

And Tiger got a quad on 17 today. I truly hate this game sometimes...
Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
Bettinardi BB1

Comments

• sheldonjhackersheldonjhacker Advanced Members Posts: 3,699 ✭✭
    Golf is hard, and it owes us nothing. Be happy you can play...and keep at it LD !!! image/not_i.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':not_i:' />
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Advanced Members Posts: 11,362 ✭✭
    First world problems

Embrace the challenge my friend ... and your companions, environment and outdoor time
    Ping G400 LST 11* Mitsu TI BB Matte 53x
    Callaway GBB 3w 14* Mitsu Blueboard 63x
    Ping G400 5w 17* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Callaway V-series Hwood Fuji TS 8.2s
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fujikura 904HBs
    Ping Rapture 5-PW Aldila NV MLTi Pro105x
    Ping iWedge 50* Aldila NV 105x
    Ping Zing 2 BeCu s2 54.5* & s3 57.5*
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • acemandrakeacemandrake Advanced Members Posts: 288 ✭✭

Golf is hard, and it owes us nothing. Be happy you can play...and keep at it LD !!! image/not_i.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':not_i:' />

"and keep at it LD !!! image/not_i.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':not_i:' />"...LD = Learning disabled?
  • sheldonjhackersheldonjhacker Advanced Members Posts: 3,699 ✭✭

"and keep at it LD !!! image/not_i.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':not_i:' />"...LD = Learning disabled?

er.......ah.......um......probably stands for LeftDaddy image/russian_roulette.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':russian_roulette:' />
  • LeftDaddyLeftDaddy Advanced Members Posts: 587 ✭✭
    Good stuff 😀 I just often feel like the time I spend on golf is time I could spend with wife, kids, work, work around the house, developing some other skill that has some use to society, etc etc. At some point, golf has to give back, or I’m the dumbest person on the planet for continuing to make this extraordinarily suboptimal choice.
    Bettinardi BB1
  • PetethreeputPetethreeput Advanced Members Posts: 1,407 ✭✭
    My wife, after 16 years of marriage came out with me to golf.

She said, “For as much as you golfed, I thought you’d be better.”

She was serious, sadly.
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Advanced Members Posts: 3,891 ✭✭

She said, "For as much as you golfed, I thought you'd be better."

She was serious, sadly.

It looks easy on TV.
  • chivachiva Advanced Members Posts: 2,389 ✭✭
    Take a month or two off. Find a different hobby. Maybe something you and your wife can do together. Maybe go do some service projects for other people. These things will help refresh you a little bit.
    OB and water hazards you flunkies
  • SixtySomePingSixtySomePing Advanced Members Posts: 4,846 ✭✭
    LeftDaddy wrote:

I mean, I'm through with this relationship. I give and give and give...money, time, emotion. And I spend so much time with golf that wife is starting to wonder what I'm doing while gone so long.

And even though I give and give, golf gives me nothing back. I mean, yeah, I get in the hole quickly sometimes but I spend so much more time seeking the hole than finding it. And I try every thing I can think of and none of it works.

In all seriousness, I spend so much money and time on golf, and I still suck. I thought I had it somewhat figured it out after a visit to my coach the other day, but apparently not. I played today and looked like a moron for about half of the holes. I'm getting as close to quitting as I've been in a long time.

Some people suck at golf, it's the only thing other's can measure themselves against to look better. (Shirley I jest) image/happy.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':happy:' />

G.O.L.F. Getting Only Laurels of Frustration

Actually when playing do you worry more about score and what you look like, instead of enjoying the experience? Maybe your approach to the game needs a serious change. Take a break, spend some time with your family, then come back to it with the attitude of having fun. Go camping with your family, yeah Tiger may have made the cut with a quad on 17, but he won't be a happy camper with the family next week.
  • ItsjustagameItsjustagame Advanced Members Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    What else are you going to do with your time and money?
    GBB Epic 10.5 Project X HZRDUS T800 55
    GBB Epic 5 wood
    XR 3/4/5 Hybrid
    Steelhead XR Pro 6-GW [font=effra, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]UST Mamiya Recoil 95/110[/font]
    Mack Daddy 2 50,54,58
    Taylor Made 2 Ball Fang Slant
    I think part of why I’m so frustrated currently is that I thought I was so close to figuring some stuff out. And for 9 holes it looked like I was. It unraveled, and then I got a look at the swing and realized that although I had “fixed” the most recent problem, old problems that I thought had been fixed had crept back in.

It’s amazing how hard it is to get a solid swing locked in for this game.

I wasn’t all that focused on score. I just wanted my iron ballstriking to be decent (it wasn’t). Oddly I was bombing my driver. I was 15 yards longer than usual. But I digress.

I’m playing in a scramble today. We will see how it goes. Sometimes those are helpful because you don’t care about your score, and can quickly move on from bad shots.
    Bettinardi BB1
  • sdandreasdandrea Steve Advanced Members Posts: 2,315 ✭✭
    edited March 16
    It's not you, it's me........

Seriously, you have to hang in there to finally learn AND ACCEPT some truths.

1. You will NEVER have a swing locked in. It comes and goes. Try to enjoy the game by adapting to the swing you have that day. There are pros missing the cut every week because they don't have "it" that week.

2. The game is hard, merciless, and laughs at your misfortune. The constant challenge is THE ALLURE, not what chases you away.

I was where you are about 25 years ago at age 43. I expected too much which only leads to frustration. I read Bob Rotella's "Golf is not a game of Perfect" and it changed my attitude. That lead to a more realistic me, a more relaxed me, and a lower handicap. Most of all, I learned to enjoy the game, good or bad.

Note for perspective: I'm a 12 handicap. Most of my scores are between 78 and 84, but my iron striking can just disappear on me with no notice. I've been playing for 50+ years.
    Callaway Fusion
    Pinhawk SL 5w
    TM Burner Superfast 4h
    TM Burner XD 6-SW
    Scotty Fastback
  • SixtySomePingSixtySomePing Advanced Members Posts: 4,846 ✭✭
    LeftDaddy wrote:

I think part of why I'm so frustrated currently is that I thought I was so close to figuring some stuff out. And for 9 holes it looked like I was. It unraveled, and then I got a look at the swing and realized that although I had "fixed" the most recent problem, old problems that I thought had been fixed had crept back in.

It's amazing how hard it is to get a solid swing locked in for this game.

I wasn't all that focused on score. I just wanted my iron ballstriking to be decent (it wasn't). Oddly I was bombing my driver. I was 15 yards longer than usual. But I digress.

I'm playing in a scramble today. We will see how it goes. Sometimes those are helpful because you don't care about your score, and can quickly move on from bad shots.

Enjoy it LD! image/good.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':good:' />
  • cpeckcpeck Advanced Members Posts: 194 ✭✭
    assuming you haven’t the grip change from standard to midsize helped my ball striking. and on my good shots that land where intended if i check my grip and readdress the spot where the ball was i have 2 knuckles visible on my right hand, also a lefty. when i focus on seeing that and don’t think about a swing besides coming back straight the end result is better than if i try and try to think about the whole swing. less is more for me.

start hitting just 7 iron. i’ll play it off the tee until i start feeling loose again. and get going again from there. it’s my go to along with a 3 iron that i fell in love with off the tee. mp54 to be exact.
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 23,995 ClubWRX
    Before you take your sabbatical, go and play 18 more holes but don't take a scorecard and only focus on the shot you're playing. At a 9 index, you have to hit some really quality shots. Enjoy those shots, enjoy the people you play with, realize that there are people of all ages who can no longer play the game because of physical challenges. Have fun, laugh and understand how blessed you are to able to play this great game.
  • St JimmySt Jimmy Advanced Members Posts: 385 ✭✭
    edited March 16
    LeftDaddy wrote:

I mean, I'm through with this relationship. I give and give and give...money, time, emotion. And I spend so much time with golf that wife is starting to wonder what I'm doing while gone so long.

In all seriousness, I spend so much money and time on golf, and I still suck. I thought I had it somewhat figured it out after a visit to my coach the other day, but apparently not. I played today and looked like a moron for about half of the holes. I'm getting as close to quitting as I've been in a long time.

Move further north.

I'm forced to take a three to four month break every year.
    Ping G400
    Ping G400 stretch 3
    Mizuno HM 4 iron bent to 19 degrees
    Miura CB-57 3-PW
    Miura Y Grind 51
    Miura K Grind 56
    Scotty Golo 3
  • larrybudlarrybud Members, Advanced Members Posts: 11,220 ✭✭
    C'mon, it's March.
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Advanced Members Posts: 990 ✭✭
    LeftDaddy wrote:

I think part of why I’m so frustrated currently is that I thought I was so close to figuring some stuff out. And for 9 holes it looked like I was. It unraveled, and then I got a look at the swing and realized that although I had “fixed” the most recent problem, old problems that I thought had been fixed had crept back in.

It’s amazing how hard it is to get a solid swing locked in for this game.

I wasn’t all that focused on score. I just wanted my iron ballstriking to be decent (it wasn’t). Oddly I was bombing my driver. I was 15 yards longer than usual. But I digress.

I’m playing in a scramble today. We will see how it goes. Sometimes those are helpful because you don’t care about your score, and can quickly move on from bad shots.

No one has the game figured out. Pros hit bad shots, good shots sometimes end up with not so good results (rub of the green).

Instead of trying to get better at everything at the same time find an area to focus on like short game and putting. Then once you are happy with that work on another area while not neglecting the area you just “fixed”

Have fun playing and enjoy the time doing golf stuff
  • Mikey5eMikey5e Advanced Members Posts: 720 ✭✭
    I suggest you quit. It appears that you are just looking for attention.
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 14,330 ClubWRX
    Mikey5e wrote:

I suggest you quit. It appears that you are just looking for attention.

Classy post. Of course that’s about normal isn’t it?

The guys venting, to people who understand.

I’m guessing you’ve been on a hiatus for a bit, you weren’t missed.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • acemandrakeacemandrake Advanced Members Posts: 288 ✭✭

er.......ah.......um......probably stands for LeftDaddy image/russian_roulette.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':russian_roulette:' />

Thanks. At some point each night my reading comprehension "falls off a cliff".
  • daveltbdaveltb Advanced Members Posts: 316 ✭✭
    LeftDaddy wrote:

I think part of why I'm so frustrated currently is that I thought I was so close to figuring some stuff out. And for 9 holes it looked like I was. It unraveled, and then I got a look at the swing and realized that although I had "fixed" the most recent problem, old problems that I thought had been fixed had crept back in.

It's amazing how hard it is to get a solid swing locked in for this game.

I wasn't all that focused on score. I just wanted my iron ballstriking to be decent (it wasn't). Oddly I was bombing my driver. I was 15 yards longer than usual. But I digress.

I'm playing in a scramble today. We will see how it goes. Sometimes those are helpful because you don't care about your score, and can quickly move on from bad shots.

Try playing the GAME of golf and not playing golf swing. I try to save golf swing for practice but when I play, i just focus on getting the ball in the hole no matter what the score. If that doesn't work sometimes i just pick up and move to the next hole. I'm not ever going to be good enough to get upset. If you can learn to enjoy the time outside with friends instead of equating your score with your self worth, it becomes that game that you can enjoy for a lifetime. I see too many people play mad golf. Really you are the only person that cares how you play. Your friends (the ones you care about) don't give a **** how you play until you get so upset if affects their enjoyment of the game. These words may not all apply to your situation, but the frustration will get worse if your attitude doesn't get better. Good Luck
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 16,729 ClubWRX
    edited March 16
    1. Move further north. I've had my annual break from golf since last fall and counting . . . .

2. Tiger getting a 7 should inspire you, you could have made 6! ;-)

3. If not, pretend to play - if the wife really thinks you are up to something may as well reap the benefits if you are catching the blame. In a few months, you'll have a lot more time to play and practice when your wife leaves you.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • gsea33gsea33 Advanced Members Posts: 645
    U take the game too seriously. I agree tho if u get no enjoyment from golf find something u do enjoy.
    Lots of good comments except the one saying I wanted attention. Thanks to everyone except that guy. I promise I don’t want any attention. Just frustrated with how poorly I’m playing given the time and attention I give to golf. My big issue is that I can’t hit an iron shot solidly to save my life. It’s actually quite comical how poor my iron play is, given how decent the rest of my game is. I can drive it pretty well, I can putt, and my short game is pretty good. My irons just SUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKK!

And I was joking about my wife wondering what I was doing...I was going for a little “play” on golf being a cruel mistress.

Anyway, I played the scramble today. I generally sucked about like I expected I would. I was awesome on the range beforehand, though, so at least there’s that. And I finally kinda sorta remembered a correction I needed to make with 4 holes to go and it helped things improve a little. It was a 2 man scramble, and we may have used 10 of my shots all day. We shot 74 which was poor, mostly due to me. We had a good time at least. And I did leave thinking that I had found a little something in my swing and so I’m feeling like playing again soon.

I just need to keep golf more at arm’s length than I have...like everyone says, just try to enjoy that I’m able to play. Thanks again!
    Bettinardi BB1
  • Tim SchochTim Schoch Swing like it already happened. ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 1,057 ClubWRX
    Please FTLOG stop echoing "golf is hard." What game worth a snot is not hard? Stop your whining and get better and brag about it. If you can't handle it, quit and take up something that is easy for you, like picking your nose. My god.
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
    - Groucho Marx

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]WIMB[/font]
    PING G30 SF Tec 10* reg graphite
    TaylorMade Burner 3-wood 15* REAX reg graphite
    Adams Idea A12 #4 Hybrid 21* VTS Proforce reg graphite
    PING G25 5-L, graphite reg
    Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro #1
    Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft X, midsize Winn Dri-Tac grips
    [/font][/font]
    ****. Ok. By the way, I didn’t say “golf is hard”. Others said that. I just said that I suck at it, and I’m questioning why I’ve put so much investment in it over the years.

I’ve been on here bragging about myself too...so get over yourself and don’t read the thread if it bothers you so much.

There’s one or two in every group I guess...
    Bettinardi BB1
  • toctoc Advanced Members Posts: 2,640 ✭✭

She said, “For as much as you golfed, I thought you’d be better.”

She was serious, sadly.

1000000% the best post I’ve ever read on here
    Glove: ML
    Tees: 2 3/4
    Towel: white
    Repair tool: metal
    Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
    Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying
  • toctoc Advanced Members Posts: 2,640 ✭✭
    Tim Schoch wrote:

Please FTLOG stop echoing "golf is hard." What game worth a snot is not hard? Stop your whining and get better and brag about it. If you can't handle it, quit and take up something that is easy for you, like picking your nose. My god.

Don’t be a **** dude
    Glove: ML
    Tees: 2 3/4
    Towel: white
    Repair tool: metal
    Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
    Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying
  • NoTalentLeftyNoTalentLefty Advanced Members Posts: 3,426 ✭✭
    I suggest OP YOU GET OFF YOUR PITY POTTY and SUCK IT UP NANCY! You make me sick ! I’m sitting here with a cane waiting for another possible hip surgery and you don’t want to play because somehow golf owes you something! Again you make me sick! Act like a man ... or would you prefer kinder words?
    Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Titleist 913 D3 44 inches also a Cleveland Classic 310 43.5 inches
    3 and 5 Wood Ping G15
    3-5 Hybrids Cobra Baffler XL
    6-GW Titleist AP1s
    53 degree Wedge Titleist AP1
    58 degree SW Vokey SM6
    Putter White Hot V LINE Fang w/round Edel Grip
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 16,729 ClubWRX
    Tim Schoch wrote:

Easy Schoch, lol, you can get blacklisted for that kind of talk!

• firstbatchfirstbatch Advanced Members Posts: 998 ✭✭
    Let’s see....

Irons suck ya say....

Let’s look in the bag.....

Bettinardi BB1

Time to buy some new irons..WRX style....dump those MB’s and get your self some proper shovels...

King LTD Black CK Tensei Blue S
    Titleist 915f 15deg 3w Diamana 70g blue
    Adams A4 5-pw recoil 95 s
    Adams's 9031 23deg hyb Diamana 82+ S
    Cobra F6 Baffler stock RedTie S
    Adams Pugelli 54 SW
    Ping Glide 58 SS
    Mizuno MPT10 64
    Kenny Giannini G6
  • Hot Rod 71Hot Rod 71 #TheWRX ClubWRX Charter Members, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 8,798 ClubWRX
    Hey OP, where do you play? I'm in RVA too.
    Callaway Epic 9* - Diamana B+ 60X
    Callaway Epic 15* - Diamana S+ 70X
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 19* Hybrid - Diamana S+ 80X
    Callaway 13 X-Forged 4-PW - KBS $ Taper 120
    Cleveland RTX4 50, 54, 58 - DGTI S400
    Yes! Jenny Tour
    Snell MTB Black
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Advanced Members Posts: 990 ✭✭
    LeftDaddy wrote:

Lots of good comments except the one saying I wanted attention. Thanks to everyone except that guy. I promise I don’t want any attention. Just frustrated with how poorly I’m playing given the time and attention I give to golf. My big issue is that I can’t hit an iron shot solidly to save my life. It’s actually quite comical how poor my iron play is, given how decent the rest of my game is. I can drive it pretty well, I can putt, and my short game is pretty good. My irons just SUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKK!

And I was joking about my wife wondering what I was doing...I was going for a little “play” on golf being a cruel mistress.

Anyway, I played the scramble today. I generally sucked about like I expected I would. I was awesome on the range beforehand, though, so at least there’s that. And I finally kinda sorta remembered a correction I needed to make with 4 holes to go and it helped things improve a little. It was a 2 man scramble, and we may have used 10 of my shots all day. We shot 74 which was poor, mostly due to me. We had a good time at least. And I did leave thinking that I had found a little something in my swing and so I’m feeling like playing again soon.

I just need to keep golf more at arm’s length than I have...like everyone says, just try to enjoy that I’m able to play. Thanks again!

What do you consider a lot of time/attention you give to golf? How many days do play? How many days do you practice? How long do you practice and what is your practice routine?
  • Tim SchochTim Schoch Swing like it already happened. ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 1,057 ClubWRX
    toc wrote:
    Tim Schoch wrote:

Don’t be a **** dude

Don't be a wimp dude. What is so bad about my post? The upshot of leaving the game, growing the game, not getting better is the whine "golf is soooo hard"? Seriously? I mean, I really want to hear what bothers you.
    - Groucho Marx

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]WIMB[/font]
    [/font][/font]
    Answering/responding to some threads:

I didn’t mean this thread as a pity party. It’s party, not potty by the way. Anyhow, it started in my mind as a joke about a cruel mistress I have named golf, but either I didn’t build the analogy well or some people aren’t getting it...whatever. The bottom line is that I am pretty down about my golf game right now. It has been 15 years since the last time I “quit”, and this is the first time since that I’ve seriously considered taking a break. My handicap has gone from a 23 about 15 years ago to a 9 right now, although I’m playing more like a 15 as we speak today.

I was just commiserating and figured some other folks on here might feel the same way. The majority of the posters have been great...two or three have been a-holes, and you get a few in every group.

I play at the Foundry Golf Club.

I probably play 18 holes per week and hit the range 1x per week, and work on some indoor stuff every day (putting, chipping, etc).

I play blades because they give me immediate feedback on how bad my iron strikes are. I’m honestly so bad with irons right now that shovels probably wouldn’t help me a bit. My irons are 1” over and 2 up, and my grips are mid-size plus 4 wraps. I’m not convinced those specs are helpful anymore, so may have to consider bending etc at some point.

Anyway, most things have come naturally to me in my life. Golf never has, and that is part of what I love about it I guess. But at some point, with any activity that requires time and money, you have to assess whether what you are getting out of it is worth it. I’m not sure that my answer to that question is “Yes” right now.
    Bettinardi BB1
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 14,330 ClubWRX
    You guys realize sometimes a person just needs to vent to people who at least will likely understand. If I come home from a bad day at rhe course and try to tell the wife (ah ****, who am I kidding, I stopped telling her anything about my game a long time ago), she really doesn’t care. And really doesn’t want to hear about it.

If you come here, it’s highly likely someone else has been in the same boat. It’s not looking for pity or sympathy, or whining. It’s talking or venting about your game to like minded individuals. Guy wants to let off some steam. Ease up a bit.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
    Thank deadsolid...shank!!!

Love the handle too...I went through a bout of the deadsolid shanks a little over a year ago. Oddly, that didn’t make me think about quitting...I “fixed” the shanks and then hit the ball as well as I ever have about a year ago, but had to stop playing for a couple of months due to some “life circumstances”. Anyway, since coming back have generally not been able to find the magic again. I had two 18 hole rounds scheduled for this weekend and was looking forward to them and played like **** in both...just disappointing.
    Bettinardi BB1
  • Hot Rod 71Hot Rod 71 #TheWRX ClubWRX Charter Members, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 8,798 ClubWRX
    I've played the Foundry several times - what a fantastic course. Truly one of my RVA favorites. I've been working part-time/playing at Providence for almost 12 years.

I understood exactly what you were trying to convey in your OP. I think all of us, at one point or another, despite skill level or handicap, feel the same way.

Sometimes I think folks on this forum misinterpret statements on purpose just for the sake of making a negative comment or arguing. I find that usually guys like that can't talk at home.
    Callaway Epic 9* - Diamana B+ 60X
    Callaway Epic 15* - Diamana S+ 70X
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 19* Hybrid - Diamana S+ 80X
    Callaway 13 X-Forged 4-PW - KBS $ Taper 120
    Cleveland RTX4 50, 54, 58 - DGTI S400
    Yes! Jenny Tour
    Snell MTB Black
    Hot Rod 71 wrote:

I've played the Foundry several times - what a fantastic course. Truly one of my RVA favorites. I've been working part-time/playing at Providence for almost 12 years.

I understood exactly what you were trying to convey in your OP. I think all of us, at one point or another, despite skill level or handicap, feel the same way.

Sometimes I think folks on this forum misinterpret statements on purpose just for the sake of making a negative comment or arguing. I find that usually guys like that can't talk at home.

Funny story that kind of goes along with the talking about golf at home. Probably 15 years or so ago when I got my first hole in one. My son told my wife we should do something for dad for his HIO. Her reply, “we don’t celebrate golf”. We’ve since become a little less acrimonious about it,,but I still don’t talk about it much, which ties in with the second half of the story.

Last summer I recorded my second HIO. I never mentioned it at home. About three days later she says,”you got a hole in one and didn’t even say anything about it”! Still in trouble. My wife’s best friend is the office manager for one of the law firms here. Guess who was playing with one of the partners that day, who told his office manager, who told her friend, who,happens to be my wife!?��

#cantwin

Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • bullie76bullie76 Advanced Members Posts: 2,161
    Think loose grip with all your clubs. It can make a huge difference when you're struggling. That's my tip of the day. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    My senior bag.......
    Taylormade M2(2016) 9.5* driver reg
    Taylormade RBZ 13* 3 wood reg
    Adams TL2 - FW 16* 4 wood & 3,4 hybrids reg
    Ping G 6-pw(power lofts), i200 U wedge(49*).....CFS graphite reg
    Ping Glide 54/58 ss reg
    Ping Craz-E putter
  • lumberman2462lumberman2462 Advanced Members Posts: 5,297 ✭✭
    Midsize + 4 wraps is a lot of grip....

I’ve quit for a few years several times in my not so illustrious career. Once was injury/surgery related and the other was because I found the lake more fun than playing bad golf.

Hang in there.

(Golf sucks)

SYard T388
    TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
    Miura CB-57 3-PW
    Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
    Old Titleist Blade
  • sandtrapsandtrap Advanced Members Posts: 786 ✭✭
    Just move to the northland, every year you get a 4 month separation where you can determine if you want to get back together
  • KridianKridian Members Posts: 32 ✭✭

Her reply, “we don’t celebrate golf”.

image/ohmy.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':o' /> See, that's why golf babes are in such high demand. Regular women just don't get it.
    Thanks Hot Rod...yes, the Foundry is a wonderful golf course. I joined it recently and love it. It is a bit expensive, but definitely a great course/experience.

My wife is a great one. She isn’t into golf herself. She’s a perfectionist, and golf is not the sport for perfectionists. But she’s obsessed with tennis. So she understands my golf obsession, and “lets” me spend more time than she should at the range/course/watching it on TV, etc.

To be fair to my swing fixes, I hadn’t really spent much time at the range with it. I gave it a good 2 hours today, and I absolutely murdered the ball. Even my bad hits were definitely acceptable. I even played the first 3 holes of the course in my mind and would have done quite well. So I decided I would actually go play them. And literally the first swing and the next 3 were as bad as they could be. I rope hooked a tee shot (had blasted them on the range), and rinsed my next 3 shots in the pond fronting the 1st green, and they were all absolutely horrible contact. I did hit the next one quite well and thus would have made a 10 assuming a 2 putt. I didn’t change my routine or swing thoughts or anything from the range to the course. I honestly don’t know what it could be.

Oh well, at least I had it going for a while on the range and know what I was doing to make it work. Here’s hoping I will eventually figure this out.
    Bettinardi BB1
  • jambox107jambox107 Members Posts: 62
    Try just playing 9 rather than a full 18. You get your fix but save money and time!
    LeftDaddy wrote:
    I mean, I’m through with this relationship. I give and give and give...money, time, emotion. And I spend so much time with golf that wife is starting to wonder what I’m doing while gone so long.

In all seriousness, I spend so much money and time on golf, and I still suck. I thought I had it somewhat figured it out after a visit to my coach the other day, but apparently not. I played today and looked like a moron for about half of the holes. I’m getting as close to quitting as I’ve been in a long time.

Golf takes a lot of concentrated time and proper practice--not beating balls, but learning how to swing...hundreds and hundreds of times, with most of your clubs. Watch Tv -- the pros have hit hundreds of thousands of range balls and still go out one day and shoot 65 and the next day 77.

I think you need to get serious about becoming a golfer who can break 90 in the next 12-18 months. Proper clubs, better coach, better everyday practice with measurable results.

That said, some people should quit if they are unhappy and it affects family life. Find an activity to enjoy with your wife.

Take charge.
    - Groucho Marx

[/font][/font]
    edited March 18
    Tim Schoch wrote:

LeftDaddy wrote:

Golf takes a lot of concentrated time and proper practice--not beating balls, but learning how to swing...hundreds and hundreds of times, with most of your clubs. Watch Tv -- the pros have hit hundreds of thousands of range balls and still go out one day and shoot 65 and the next day 77.

I think you need to get serious about becoming a golfer who can break 90 in the next 12-18 months. Proper clubs, better coach, better everyday practice with measurable results.

That said, some people should quit if they are unhappy and it affects family life. Find an activity to enjoy with your wife.

Take charge.

Thanks for the more reasonable reply this time.

I must just be miscommunicating my point in all of this.

I break 90 regularly. I break 80 when my irons are solid. If I played 18 tomorrow I’d probably shoot 85 even though my irons are terrible right now.

I’m well read in all of the ways that people learn, and about effective practice vs just practice. I don’t just beat balls. I go to the range with very specific purposes in mind.

And I’m also very aware that golf takes time, patience, etc etc. I picked golf up about 20 years ago and I’ve gone from whatever the highest handicap you can have (35 I believe) to 9 now. And it has been a stroke or two here or there. I broke 100 the first time about 18 years ago. Broke 90 about 6 years ago. Broke 80 a year ago.

Finally, my family life is great. I have a wonderful wife and two wonderful children.

I’m just saying that I’d bet that a smallish percentage of people on this board put more time and money into golf than I. And I’d wager that an even smaller percentage takes a more measured approach to getting better than I. Therefore, it is awfully disheartening that I stink right now and am struggling to make some swing changes stick.

I’m obviously doing something wrong because I’m not fixing this current problem as quickly as I’d like, and it is getting damned frustrating. I’m not whining. Not complaining. Not “giving up “. I’m just commiserating with fellow golfers that have probably felt similarly. And I am questioning all of this investment given weaker-than-hoped-for returns.

Thanks again for the reasonable response.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Bettinardi BB1
  • Matt JMatt J Advanced Members Posts: 8,548 ✭✭
    I think it has to be bigger than what you shoot.   Sure, we're all trying to improve and the challenge of the game is the cheese in front of the wheel.  But, what about exercise? Comraderie?  Do you walk?  Who do you play with?  If you ride, start walking.  If you play with whomever, find guys you really enjoy.  If they ride, find guys who walk that you really enjoy.
  • lawsonmanlawsonman Advanced Members Posts: 5,079 ✭✭
    Golf became much more fun when I quit caring about my scores and started enjoying the time on the course.
    Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23,27 Hybrid
    Ping Iblade 6-PW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Ping Ketsch Vault 2.0
    Ping DLX Bag