Why are ball sleeves always in 3s?

spartan6910spartan6910 Go Green, Go White!San DiegoPosts: 368 ✭✭
Chalk this one up under "random s*** that I thought of in the shower". Why are "sleeves" of balls always* comprised of 3? What is the purpose of only serving up 3 balls at a time? If the first answer that comes to your mind is "well, duh, to easily contain a dozen balls in a box," then I ask you...why a dozen? And why not 3 4-ball sleeves?

I'm thinking logistically and economically, and I think companies could be more profitable if they sold boxes with less. The perception of going through them quicker could yield more sales.

There has to be some logical reason why 3 is the magic number, but I can't come up with it. Is that the average number of balls used per round by the average golfer? I'd think it might be more than that.

Again, random musings that really require no concrete answer but it just struck me as odd that there is no deviation whatsoever from that standard.

*I remember Pinnacle made a 4-ball sleeve back in the day and I believe some company had a 5-ball at one point.
TaylorMade 2016 M1 460 8.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TX
Cobra King LTD 13* - Aldila Rogue X
TaylorMade SLDR 2h 19* - Fujikura Pro 83h X
Mizuno T-Zoid Comp-EZ 2i - S300
Callaway Apex CF16 5-P - stock steel XP95
Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 51*
Callaway Mack Daddy 3 58*
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 64*
Bettinardi Queen B #8
TaylorMade TP5

Born in the USA, Made in Detroit, Grinding in San Diego[/size]

Comments

• hybrid25hybrid25 michiganMembers Posts: 1,536 ✭✭
    Like everything else, it has something to do with money.
    Like everything else, it has something to do with money. It's a well-known fact that items sold in threes is more attractive psychologically. Also, the number 12 has more palatability then other numbers.
    Like everything else, it has something to do with money. It's a well-known fact that items sold in threes are more attractive psychologically. Also, the number 12 has more palatability then other numbers.
  • BicknellCCBicknellCC Members Posts: 1,308 ✭✭
    Kind of like the chicken or the egg.

There was a packaging company that manufactured the 4 sleeves in a box concept for a product that failed miserably. Rather than take the loss on existing inventory they figured out that 3 golf balls fit in each sleeve, so they sold the Haskell golf ball company on the idea, and the die was cast. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • scoteescotee Members Posts: 3,355 ✭✭
    Tennis is older than golf and T balls come in cans of 3. Love the sound and smell of opening a can of tennis balls! Random thoughts from the shower image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am
  • brkuckbrkuck Members Posts: 1,618 ✭✭
    Maybe years ago they thought that golf balls would last 6 holes each with normal wear and tear. 1 sleeve = 18 holes.
  • FadeFade Members Posts: 1,123 ✭✭
    1 for a slice.

1 for a shank.

1 to finish the round with.
  • wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE Members Posts: 3,800 ✭✭
    3 is just the right number, plus the sleeve of 3 fits in the pocket of trousers better than 4 or more.
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,316 ✭✭

Chalk this one up under "random s*** that I thought of in the shower". Why are "sleeves" of balls always* comprised of 3? What is the purpose of only serving up 3 balls at a time? If the first answer that comes to your mind is "well, duh, to easily contain a dozen balls in a box," then I ask you...why a dozen? And why not 3 4-ball sleeves?

I'm thinking logistically and economically, and I think companies could be more profitable if they sold boxes with less. The perception of going through them quicker could yield more sales.

There has to be some logical reason why 3 is the magic number, but I can't come up with it. Is that the average number of balls used per round by the average golfer? I'd think it might be more than that.

Again, random musings that really require no concrete answer but it just struck me as odd that there is no deviation whatsoever from that standard.

*I remember Pinnacle made a 4-ball sleeve back in the day and I believe some company had a 5-ball at one point.

I think you should stop taking showers. image/cheesy.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' />

ANY SITE GUIDANCE I OFFER, UNLESS SPECIFIED OTHERWISE, IS REFERRING TO THE "DESKTOP/FULL" VERSION

Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Titleist 716 AP-1, 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-3 50*, 56*, 64 DGS300

Taylormade Spidex-X Blue/single white line (Today - always subject to change)
    Titleist AVX
  • Ghost_OrchidGhost_Orchid Golf Junkie Posts: 2,063 ✭✭
    nsxguy wrote:

I think you should stop taking showers. image/cheesy.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' />

Or start taking baths...you'll probably have time to come up with answers.
  • CallWhiteyCallWhitey Members Posts: 25 ✭✭
    Why is it called a “sleeve”?
  • AcmeGolfAcmeGolf Members Posts: 369 ✭✭
    PGP-2BS-PINNACLE-2T.jpg?1434027635

4728a_lg.jpeg
    Ping G400 LST 10°
    Ping G400 3W
    Ping G400 17° Hybrid
    Titleist 915Hd 20.5° Hybrid
    Mizuno 919 HMP's 5-GW
    Mizuno S18 56° & 60°
    SC Newport 3
  • trackcoach13trackcoach13 Members Posts: 918 ✭✭
    Callaway Rule 35 was sleeve of 5

s-l225.jpg
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Driver: Cobra F9 w/ Aldila NV 2KXV Green 65 Stiff
    3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff [/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
    Irons: Wilson FG Tour v6 4-GW DG S300 AMT
    Wedge: 56/11 Wilson FG Tour PMP Raw Tour Grind[/font]

Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Putter: [/font]Odyssey O-WORKS Red Marxman
  • mjfornmjforn Posts: 209 ✭✭
    Well evdently I must be "Obi Wan Kenobi" Back in the day when there was only one ball manufacturer available and no Sharpies'. A foursome would buy a dozen balls and each player would get a sleeve, with each his own number 1, 2, 3 & 4.

image/golfer.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':golfer:' />
    Matt

Callaway GBB Epic 9*

Callaway Rogue Graphite R-Flex 4-AW

Cleveland CBX 52*, 56*, 60*

Odyssey Works SS #1 Putter

Ammo:
    K 3s
    Titleist Tour Soft
    Titliest NXT s
    K Sigs (in the shag bag)

• bigmoneypbigmoneyp MichiganMembers Posts: 3,226 ✭✭
    I've seen sleeves of 2 and 4 as well but yes 3 is the most common.
    Callaway X-Hot 3 Deep 14.5*
    Callaway Steelhead XR Hybrid 19*
    Callaway Steelhead XR Hybrid 22*
    Maltby DBM 4-PW w. PX LZ 6.0
    Taylormade Milled Grind 52* (bent to 50)
    Taylormade Milled Grind 58*
    Taylormade TP Mullen
    Callaway Hex Tour Soft
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 11,606 ✭✭
    Lots of wasted packaging $$$
    Ping G400 LST 11* Mitsu TI BB Matte 53x
    Callaway GBB 3w 14* Mitsu Blueboard 63x
    Ping G400 5w 17* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Callaway V-series Hwood Fuji TS 8.2s
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fujikura 904HBs
    Ping Rapture 5-PW Aldila NV MLTi Pro105x
    Ping iWedge 50* Aldila NV 105x
    Ping Glide SS 53* & ES 59* Wrx SF125s
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • sandtrapsandtrap Members Posts: 804 ✭✭
    You used to get 1 titleist in a box
  • GolfTurkeyGolfTurkey Posts: 542 ✭✭
    scotee wrote:

Tennis is older than golf and T balls come in cans of 3. Love the sound and smell of opening a can of tennis balls! Random thoughts from the shower image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

I used to play a lot of tennis (until my elbow did me in) and the best part by far was opening up a new tin and snorting up a storm!
  • Hanlpa01Hanlpa01 Members Posts: 78 ✭✭

@trackcoach13 said:

And if I’m not mistaken it was a 10-ball pack. Two sleeves in a box. Not sure the logic behind that one either or the market they were trying to hit.

• Golf PuffGolf Puff Members Posts: 63 ✭✭

Callaway did research that told them the average player (maybe the average player who would use a Rule 35?) needed 4.x balls per round, thus the 5 ball sleeve. The two sleeve box was probably a price concession to buying 15 or 20 balls at a time, when the 15-pack was really seen as the 'hacker' pack for the golfer who needed a lot of balls to complete the round. They didn't want that connotation!

• Hanlpa01Hanlpa01 Members Posts: 78 ✭✭

@Golf Puff said:
    Callaway did research that told them the average player (maybe the average player who would use a Rule 35?) needed 4.x balls per round, thus the 5 ball sleeve. The two sleeve box was probably a price concession to buying 15 or 20 balls at a time, when the 15-pack was really seen as the 'hacker' pack for the golfer who needed a lot of balls to complete the round. They didn't want that connotation!

Interesting points that I’d never considered. Makes sense in hindsight. Thanks for pointing that out.

• Golf PuffGolf Puff Members Posts: 63 ✭✭

I also remember TaylorMade having a 3-ball plastic sleeve, sealed, sort of like tennis balls. I think they were model "Inergel" or something like that. Creative packaging but probably not of much value. Solid core golf balls back around 1990 used to get faster/longer as the cores 'cured' over a few months. The USGA would purposely set submitted golf balls aside for a period before doing conformance testing (in the days of initial velocity and ODS). Not sure what is protocol now, though.

• grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,005 ✭✭

@Hanlpa01 said:

@trackcoach13 said:

And if I’m not mistaken it was a 10-ball pack. Two sleeves in a box. Not sure the logic behind that one either or the market they were trying to hit.

Correct and they were priced at $36 for 10 balls.

• Forged4everForged4ever Putting is 98%+ Mental..... ClubWRX Posts: 15,598 ClubWRX

The Father...

The Son.....

The 😉.......

Cheers🍻
    RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24