Why are ball sleeves always in 3s?

spartan6910 ·  
spartan6910spartan6910 Go Green, Go White!San Diego 400WRX Points: 82Handicap: +0.5Members Posts: 400 Greens
Chalk this one up under "random s*** that I thought of in the shower". Why are "sleeves" of balls always* comprised of 3? What is the purpose of only serving up 3 balls at a time? If the first answer that comes to your mind is "well, duh, to easily contain a dozen balls in a box," then I ask you...why a dozen? And why not 3 4-ball sleeves?

I'm thinking logistically and economically, and I think companies could be more profitable if they sold boxes with less. The perception of going through them quicker could yield more sales.

There has to be some logical reason why 3 is the magic number, but I can't come up with it. Is that the average number of balls used per round by the average golfer? I'd think it might be more than that.

Again, random musings that really require no concrete answer but it just struck me as odd that there is no deviation whatsoever from that standard.

*I remember Pinnacle made a 4-ball sleeve back in the day and I believe some company had a 5-ball at one point.
Posted:
Titleist TS4 9.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TX
Cobra King LTD 13* - Aldila Rogue X
TaylorMade SLDR 2h 19* - Fujikura Pro 83h X
Mizuno T-Zoid Comp-EZ 2i - S300
Callaway Apex CF16 5-P - stock steel XP95
Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 51*
Callaway Mack Daddy 3 58*
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 64*
Bettinardi Queen B #8
TaylorMade TP5

Born in the USA, Made in Detroit, Grinding in San Diego[/size]

Comments

• hybrid25hybrid25 michigan 1589WRX Points: 177Members Posts: 1,589 Platinum Tees
    Like everything else, it has something to do with money.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • hybrid25hybrid25 michigan 1589WRX Points: 177Members Posts: 1,589 Platinum Tees
    Like everything else, it has something to do with money. It's a well-known fact that items sold in threes is more attractive psychologically. Also, the number 12 has more palatability then other numbers.
    Posted:
    Like everything else, it has something to do with money. It's a well-known fact that items sold in threes are more attractive psychologically. Also, the number 12 has more palatability then other numbers.
    Posted:
  • BicknellCCBicknellCC  1453WRX Points: 1,093Members Posts: 1,453 Platinum Tees
    Kind of like the chicken or the egg.

There was a packaging company that manufactured the 4 sleeves in a box concept for a product that failed miserably. Rather than take the loss on existing inventory they figured out that 3 golf balls fit in each sleeve, so they sold the Haskell golf ball company on the idea, and the die was cast. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Posted:
  • scoteescotee  3553WRX Points: 1,625Members Posts: 3,553 Titanium Tees
    Tennis is older than golf and T balls come in cans of 3. Love the sound and smell of opening a can of tennis balls! Random thoughts from the shower image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Posted:
    Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am
  • brkuckbrkuck  1672WRX Points: 149Members Posts: 1,672 Platinum Tees
    Maybe years ago they thought that golf balls would last 6 holes each with normal wear and tear. 1 sleeve = 18 holes.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • FadeFade  1316WRX Points: 233Members Posts: 1,316 Platinum Tees
    1 for a slice.

1 for a shank.

1 to finish the round with.
    Posted:
  • wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE  4370WRX Points: 385Members Posts: 4,370 Titanium Tees
    3 is just the right number, plus the sleeve of 3 fits in the pocket of trousers better than 4 or more.
    Posted:
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user Florida 6634WRX Points: 1,079Handicap: 8.6Members Posts: 6,634 Titanium Tees

Chalk this one up under "random s*** that I thought of in the shower". Why are "sleeves" of balls always* comprised of 3? What is the purpose of only serving up 3 balls at a time? If the first answer that comes to your mind is "well, duh, to easily contain a dozen balls in a box," then I ask you...why a dozen? And why not 3 4-ball sleeves?

I'm thinking logistically and economically, and I think companies could be more profitable if they sold boxes with less. The perception of going through them quicker could yield more sales.

There has to be some logical reason why 3 is the magic number, but I can't come up with it. Is that the average number of balls used per round by the average golfer? I'd think it might be more than that.

Again, random musings that really require no concrete answer but it just struck me as odd that there is no deviation whatsoever from that standard.

*I remember Pinnacle made a 4-ball sleeve back in the day and I believe some company had a 5-ball at one point.

I think you should stop taking showers. image/cheesy.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' />
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G400 19* hybrid Stiff 70 Stock shaft

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 48*, 52* 56*, 60* DGS300
    Taylormade Spider-X Copper (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX

• Ghost_OrchidGhost_Orchid Golf Junkie Upstate NY 2082WRX Points: 120Handicap: 1Members Posts: 2,082 Platinum Tees
    nsxguy wrote:

I think you should stop taking showers. image/cheesy.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' />

Or start taking baths...you'll probably have time to come up with answers.
    Posted:
  • CallWhiteyCallWhitey  30WRX Points: 43Handicap: 9Members Posts: 30 Bunkers
    Why is it called a “sleeve”?
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • AcmeGolfAcmeGolf  376WRX Points: 77Handicap: 5Members Posts: 376 Greens
    PGP-2BS-PINNACLE-2T.jpg?1434027635

4728a_lg.jpeg
    Posted:
    Ping G400 LST 10°
    Titleist 917F2 13.5°
    Titleist 818 H2 17°
    Titleist 818 H2 20° 
    Mizuno JPX919 HMP's 5-GW
    Mizuno T7  56° & 60°
    SC Newport 3 (T22 Fastback coming soon)
  • trackcoach13trackcoach13 NJ 1106WRX Points: 287Handicap: 4Members Posts: 1,106 Platinum Tees
    Callaway Rule 35 was sleeve of 5

s-l225.jpg
    Posted:
    Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
    3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
    2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
    Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
    Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
    Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2
  • mjfornmjforn  221WRX Points: 47Handicap: 17Members Posts: 221 Fairways
    Well evdently I must be "Obi Wan Kenobi" Back in the day when there was only one ball manufacturer available and no Sharpies'. A foursome would buy a dozen balls and each player would get a sleeve, with each his own number 1, 2, 3 & 4.

image/golfer.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':golfer:' />
    Posted:
    Matt

Callaway GBB Epic 9*

Callaway 3 w

Callaway Rogue Graphite R-Flex 4-AW

Cleveland CBX 52*, 56*, 60*

Odyssey Works SS #1 Putter

Ammo:

Callaway Tour Soft

K Sigs (in the shag bag)

• bigmoneypbigmoneyp Michigan 3440WRX Points: 256Members Posts: 3,440 Titanium Tees
    I've seen sleeves of 2 and 4 as well but yes 3 is the most common.
    Posted:
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to Canada 13321WRX Points: 2,191Handicap: 1.6Members Posts: 13,321 Titanium Tees
    Lots of wasted packaging $$$
    Posted:

Ping G400 LST 11* GD Pershing 55x
    Ping G400 3w 15.1* Oban Revenge 65x
    Callaway GBB 5w 18* Aldila NVS Pink 85x 
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* GD Tour AD DI 95x
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* GD Tour AD DI 105x
    Mizuno 919T 6 - GW UST 95 Recoil f4 
    Ping Glide SS 54* wrx UST 110 Recoil f4
    Ping Glide ES 59* wrx UST 110 Recoil f4
    Callaway PM grind 64* UST 110 Recoil f4
    Piretti Matera Elite 

'19 Index 0.9 ~ 3.7

Advertisement
  • sandtrapsandtrap  846WRX Points: 140Members Posts: 846 Golden Tee
    You used to get 1 titleist in a box
    Posted:
  • GolfTurkeyGolfTurkey  612WRX Points: 150Members Posts: 612 Golden Tee
    scotee wrote:

Tennis is older than golf and T balls come in cans of 3. Love the sound and smell of opening a can of tennis balls! Random thoughts from the shower image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

I used to play a lot of tennis (until my elbow did me in) and the best part by far was opening up a new tin and snorting up a storm!
    Posted:
  • Hanlpa01Hanlpa01 Akron, OH 107WRX Points: 57Members Posts: 107 Fairways

On -, @trackcoach13 said:

And if I’m not mistaken it was a 10-ball pack. Two sleeves in a box. Not sure the logic behind that one either or the market they were trying to hit.

Posted:
  • Golf PuffGolf Puff  67WRX Points: 35Handicap: 8.7Members Posts: 67 Bunkers

Callaway did research that told them the average player (maybe the average player who would use a Rule 35?) needed 4.x balls per round, thus the 5 ball sleeve. The two sleeve box was probably a price concession to buying 15 or 20 balls at a time, when the 15-pack was really seen as the 'hacker' pack for the golfer who needed a lot of balls to complete the round. They didn't want that connotation!

Posted:
  • Hanlpa01Hanlpa01 Akron, OH 107WRX Points: 57Members Posts: 107 Fairways

On -, @Golf Puff said:

Callaway did research that told them the average player (maybe the average player who would use a Rule 35?) needed 4.x balls per round, thus the 5 ball sleeve. The two sleeve box was probably a price concession to buying 15 or 20 balls at a time, when the 15-pack was really seen as the 'hacker' pack for the golfer who needed a lot of balls to complete the round. They didn't want that connotation!

Interesting points that I’d never considered. Makes sense in hindsight. Thanks for pointing that out.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Golf PuffGolf Puff  67WRX Points: 35Handicap: 8.7Members Posts: 67 Bunkers

I also remember TaylorMade having a 3-ball plastic sleeve, sealed, sort of like tennis balls. I think they were model "Inergel" or something like that. Creative packaging but probably not of much value. Solid core golf balls back around 1990 used to get faster/longer as the cores 'cured' over a few months. The USGA would purposely set submitted golf balls aside for a period before doing conformance testing (in the days of initial velocity and ODS). Not sure what is protocol now, though.

Posted:
  • grm24grm24 Western PA 4166WRX Points: 1,304Members Posts: 4,166 Titanium Tees

On -, @Hanlpa01 said:

And if I’m not mistaken it was a 10-ball pack. Two sleeves in a box. Not sure the logic behind that one either or the market they were trying to hit.

Correct and they were priced at $36 for 10 balls.

Posted:
  • Forged4everForged4ever To See A Man’s True Character, Spend 4+ Hours With Him on a Golf Course⛳️ The Burgh/Hdcp: My gene pool 15904WRX Points: 1,134ClubWRX Posts: 15,904 ClubWRX

The Father...

The Son.....

The 😉.......

Cheers🍻
    RP

Posted:
    In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24
  • thisjustanotherthisjustanother  18WRX Points: 35Members Posts: 18 Bunkers

i just thought it came in 3 cause you use one, and keep 2 in the pocket. easy managing that way

Posted:
  • BB28403BB28403  4276WRX Points: 747Handicap: This post may not be here soon as moderators may delete it to free up space. Be concerned... you may be next...Members Posts: 4,276 Titanium Tees

I don’t know, I place my TP5X’s in a large corn silo and swim thru them before breakfast.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • CelebrosCelebros Vandalia, OH 307WRX Points: 198Handicap: 1.5Members Posts: 307 Greens

Man, that brings back memories. Seems like those weird TaylorMade Inergel balls in the plastic tubes w/lids were of a similar vintage.

Posted:
    Cobra King F9 Speedback (9*)
    Cobra King F8+ (4-5, 16.5*)
    Cobra King Forged Tour (3-GW)
    Cobra King WideLow (56*)
    Cobra King Pūr WideLow (60*)
    Odyssey O-Works Red Jailbird Mini
    Snell MTB Black

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.