Suggestions on Scotty Cameron Xperimental 1998

djeon3djeon3 Jeon DalyMembers Posts: 4
Hey guys,

I recently got a Scotty Cameron Xperimental from my dad who used for 20 years. Although it's in pretty good condition considering how old it is, there were a few dings and marks on the putter.

I'm planning on Restoring the putter from Scotty Cameron website and I had a had a couple questions for you professionals.

1. What do you guys think about the black finish on this one?

2. If i change its color and paint will the value drop? Is it best to restore as original?

3. It has its 'lie/loft/length' marked on the heel end face of the putter. Is it okay to change any of this without? Such as 'lie 70/loft 3/length 33'

4. It authenticating the putter worth it? what are its pros and cons?

Thanks!
  • [font=times new roman,times,serif]TaylorMade 2017 M2 Driver 9.5* Fujikura Pro 56 Stiff[/font]
  • [font=times new roman,times,serif]Nike Golf SQ Dymo2 3 Wood 15* 70g Stiff [/font]
  • [font=times new roman,times,serif]Callaway RAZR X Black 5-wood Mid Torque/Mid Low Kick/WSOG Stiff[/font]
  • [font=times new roman,times,serif]Callaway X 18R iron 4-9,PW,SW Uniflex[/font]
  • [font=times new roman,times,serif]Titleist Vokey SM4 52* 12 bounce[/font]
  • [font=times new roman,times,serif]Bettinardi Studio Stock 28 Center Shaft 70* Lie, 3* Loft[/font]
  • [font=times new roman,times,serif]Titleist Scotty Cameron Xperimental[/font]

Comments

• djeon3djeon3 Jeon Daly Members Posts: 4
    djeon3 wrote:

Hey guys,

I recently got a Scotty Cameron Xperimental from my dad who used for 20 years. Although it's in pretty good condition considering how old it is, there were a few dings and marks on the putter.

I'm planning on Restoring the putter from Scotty Cameron website and I had a had a couple questions for you professionals.

2. If i change its color and paint will the value drop? Is it best to restore as original?

3. It has its 'lie/loft/length' marked on the heel end face of the putter. Is it okay to change any of this without? Such as 'lie 70/loft 3/length 33'

Thanks!

Is BOS Golf better?
    • [font=times new roman,times,serif]TaylorMade 2017 M2 Driver 9.5* Fujikura Pro 56 Stiff[/font]
    • [font=times new roman,times,serif]Nike Golf SQ Dymo2 3 Wood 15* 70g Stiff [/font]
    • [font=times new roman,times,serif]Callaway RAZR X Black 5-wood Mid Torque/Mid Low Kick/WSOG Stiff[/font]
    • [font=times new roman,times,serif]Callaway X 18R iron 4-9,PW,SW Uniflex[/font]
    • [font=times new roman,times,serif]Bettinardi Studio Stock 28 Center Shaft 70* Lie, 3* Loft[/font]
  • SnodorkSnodork Members Posts: 471 ✭✭
    From the pictures you posted I’d just build it and roll as is.

Enjoy it - it looks in great condition, it’s got that natural glow about it!
  • smeech8000smeech8000 Ev'ryday I'm Trufflin' Members Posts: 2,419 ✭✭
    djeon3 wrote:

Hey guys,

Thanks!

Most important question: what is your ultimate goal with this putter? Are you more concerned with 1) gaming and keeping this putter- it has a lot of sentimental value being your dad's for so long, I assume - or 2) boosting/preserving resale value?

If it is #1, do whatever you like as far as finish and bending to spec; I would recommend BOS over the CS for the refinish simply due to more available options and better turnaround time.

If #2 is important to you, an original restoration via the CS is the recommended route. As an OTR (albeit limited) release, you likely will not benefit economically from obtaining COA.
    Titleist 915D4 9.5*
    Titleist 909f3 15*
    Titleist 913h 19*
    Cally RAZR MB 4-PW
    Cally Forged 50/54/58
    Lajosi Sensor
  • daleheaddalehead Members Posts: 1,441 ✭✭
    Stainless steel Scotty's with a teryllium insert are hard to come by. I would not change the finish to black. The restoration process wil remove metal to smooth out any dings. This will change the head weight so consider how much metal has to be removed. You can tell them not to remove any metal and they will just polish the head and replace the insert. Your putter doesn't look that bad. I think I'd just put a shaft in it and game it. COA is only worth it for a tour putter. I've never known counterfeiting to be a problem with Xperimentals. Besides you got it from your dad. You know it's real.
  • DE-ILLINIDE-ILLINI Members Posts: 322 ✭✭
    I would leave it as is. Looks good to me.
    Driver: Taylormade M3
    4W: Ping G15
    3H & 4H: Cobra Baffler
    5 - SW: Ping G25
    58*: Cleveland CBX
    Putter: Ping Vault 2.0 Dale Anser
  • aloha b.aloha b. Members Posts: 577 ✭✭
    DE-ILLINI wrote:

I would leave it as is. Looks good to me.

I agree!
  • KaTooMKaTooM Members Posts: 1,315 ✭✭
    Goodness gracious...on my phone those pictures make the putter look minty considering the age!

I say game it as is!
  • 95124hacker95124hacker Rare putter collection Members Posts: 1,287 ✭✭
    I think mine is the exact same model (Long Neck). I’m not gaming mine but I don’t see why you shouldn’t game or modify yours if you’re not planning on selling
    ‘17 M2 “K serial” 10.5* turned down a notch, Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 63S
    '16 M1 3HL (17*), Fujikura Pro 70S
    King F7 2-3 (19*), Fujikura Pro 75h, S
    Epon AF-901 22*, Roddio Pentacross I-8, S
    '11 OnOff Forged 5-PW, Roddio Pentacross I-10, S
    Cleveland RTX-3 V-MG 52* & 58*
    Odyssey WHP CSM 400g
    Ball: Srixon Q-Star
  • Rob McHughRob McHugh Rob ClubWRX Posts: 971 ClubWRX
    edited Mar 17, 2019 1:18am #10
    Okay, if anything send it to BOS - they did the original finish anyway.

Don't worry about authentication, there are quite a few of these around and they are not that rare or valuable. I mean that with all due respect as I love this putter and have a couple GIP but even mine which have the original suede 'Bomber' Headcover and have never rolled a ball would be worth only about 500 - 700USD tops. I don't think a putter of that value is worth the cost of postage and a COA IMHO.

Before refurbishing, consider that this putter is only 330g to start with. Start taking any more weight off it by buffing dings out and you have a very light putter and will probably have to put lead tape in the cavity anyway.

All things considered, I would keep your Dad's putter as is. It has nostalgia, memories, great provenance and will make you an ideal gamer until you also pass it on. :-)

Rob
    smeech8000 wrote:

djeon3 wrote:

Hey guys,

Thanks!

Most important question: what is your ultimate goal with this putter? Are you more concerned with 1) gaming and keeping this putter- it has a lot of sentimental value being your dad's for so long, I assume - or 2) boosting/preserving resale value?

If it is #1, do whatever you like as far as finish and bending to spec; I would recommend BOS over the CS for the refinish simply due to more available options and better turnaround time.

If #2 is important to you, an original restoration via the CS is the recommended route. As an OTR (albeit limited) release, you likely will not benefit economically from obtaining COA.

I plan on gaming with it and kinda wanted to change its look (not necessary) without losing its resale market value at the same time.

Will having BOS restore the putter make it lose its value?

I think mine is the exact same model (Long Neck). I'm not gaming mine but I don't see why you shouldn't game or modify yours if you're not planning on selling

nice putter!
  • smeech8000smeech8000 Ev'ryday I'm Trufflin' Members Posts: 2,419 ✭✭
    djeon3 said:
    smeech8000 wrote:

djeon3 wrote:
    Hey guys,
    Thanks!

I plan on gaming with it and kinda wanted to change its look (not necessary) without losing its resale market value at the same time.

Will having BOS restore the putter make it lose its value?
    Not significantly - as Rob pointed out these aren't uber-rare/valuable even in mint (un-refinished) condition, or in other words a collector wouldn't likely pay a premium if the restoration is done via CS or BOS.  Some sticks, IMHO, should actually achieve higher resale with a BOS finish as they likely did the original finish on the original release (Oil Can Classics are a prime example).

Actually the putter is in good enough condition that you wouldn't make your money back on a restoration from either place.  Granted, your cost for the actual putter was free, but restoring it wouldn't get you THAT much more on the sale over and above if you just listed it as-is today.

At any rate, if you want to clean it up a bit and game it, with a secondary goal of preserving resale, I would go BOS.
    Titleist 915D4 9.5*
    Titleist 909f3 15*
    Titleist 913h 19*
    Cally RAZR MB 4-PW
    Cally Forged 50/54/58
    Lajosi Sensor