ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better. Link to full post HERE

Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Tiger Drop Options on 17

King_SlenderKing_Slender Advanced Members Posts: 1,387 ✭✭
I asked in The Players thread and the immediate response was that Tiger only had the option to re-tee or use the drop zone on 17. I tuned into Golf Channel this morning and they mentioned that earlier they had talked about the "other options" Tiger had and that he made a mental mistake going to the drop zone so quick. I assume that they pointed out he had the option to drop where the first shot trickled in, since it was along the path to the green and he could have easily dropped no closer to the hole.

Did anyone catch that segment this morning?

Comments

• dropkickeddropkicked Advanced Members Posts: 278 ✭✭
    Watched the round and wondered if he could take the drop from the bridge area.. wasn't shocked to see the GC, commentary yesterday evening.. they spent quite some time during the night on the 17th.
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 24,003 ClubWRX
    They had Duval, Nobilo and Chamblee go back to 17 last night and show that Woods could have dropped on the walkway and played his 3rd shot from there. There were other players who did that yesterday, it was perfectly legal and Woods could have posted at least 2 if not 3 shots less than the quad.
  • King_SlenderKing_Slender Advanced Members Posts: 1,387 ✭✭
    DavePelz4 wrote:

They had Duval, Nobilo and Chamblee go back to 17 last night and show that Woods could have dropped on the walkway and played his 3rd shot from there. There were other players who did that yesterday, it was perfectly legal and Woods could have posted at least 2 if not 3 shots less than the quad.

Thanks, that was my thought as well. I put that on the caddy to not point out the possibility if Tiger had a brain ****. No doubt Tiger probably gets up and down from there for a 4 and is sitting at -6 coming into today if he does that.
  • Frankensteins MonsterFrankensteins Monster Advanced Members Posts: 6,666 ✭✭
    edited March 16

I asked in The Players thread and the immediate response was that Tiger only had the option to re-tee or use the drop zone on 17. I tuned into Golf Channel this morning and they mentioned that earlier they had talked about the "other options" Tiger had and that he made a mental mistake going to the drop zone so quick. I assume that they pointed out he had the option to drop where the first shot trickled in, since it was along the path to the green and he could have easily dropped no closer to the hole.

Did anyone catch that segment this morning?

The people that told you those were his only two options are not familiar with the new rules of golf.
  • Ronnie MundtRonnie Mundt Members Posts: 67
    edited March 16
    Def a **** up by Tiger and LaCava. Could have dropped on the grass bridge and made a pretty straight (for him) up and down for 4. ****, could have putted the ball from the drop position and made 4.

Probably took him out of the tourney there, which is a shame. Shows you the best in the world aren’t subject to a mental lapse here and there. Never, ever choose an 85 yard pitch shot over water to island green with a tight lie. Not even if you are Tiger Woods

Edit - not saying he “chose” the pitch shot. But odd that they didn’t even explore the point of entry.
  • BrianMcGBrianMcG Advanced Members Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 14,340 ClubWRX
    Wish I had seen this before stating a similar thread in R & E. Question is, did he know it got on the walkway? Can they see that from the tee?

Surely someone could have told them. Or was he just in that state of shock he did t think about it. So unusual for Tiger to make a mental error like that.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
    Probably just didn’t realize it.

Duval said Tiger didn’t know, so maybe he actually talked to him.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • Holy MosesHoly Moses Advanced Members Posts: 10,273 ✭✭
    Tiger told Duval that he didn't know that the drop Brandel discussed was an option. He could have saved 2-3 shots. Is it just me, or does Tiger not ask for rulings as much as the average player does?
    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping i20 3 (DI-95S), 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
    Holy Moses wrote:

Tiger told Duval that he didn't know that the drop Brandel discussed was an option. He could have saved 2-3 shots. Is it just me, or does Tiger not ask for rulings as much as the average player does?

Only when it involves boulders, I mean, loose impediments.
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 16,740 ClubWRX
    Wouldn’t have seen that from the tee. He could have asked someone.

Absolutely not the caddie’s fault.
  • golfnoob25golfnoob25 Advanced Members Posts: 324
    Honestly, the drop mentioned here should not be allowed.

Goes against the spirit of the hole.

The path should be OB
  • ChazbChazb Advanced Members Posts: 902 ✭✭
    golfnoob25 wrote:

The path should be OB
    Thank goodness your not on the rules committee.
  • grm24grm24 Advanced Members Posts: 2,908 ✭✭
    Chazb wrote:

golfnoob25 wrote:

The path should be OB
    ^^^^X100
  • SocratesSocrates How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn? WinnipegAdvanced Members Posts: 9,051 ✭✭
    Very rare situation where that is an option. He likely would have been hard pressed to find the exact spot it crossed and then seeing if that drop was even an option.
    Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Vokey SM2 52º cc
    Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
    Scotty X7M Dual 38"
    MCC Align Midsize
  • golfnoob25golfnoob25 Advanced Members Posts: 324
    edited March 16
    grm24 wrote:

Chazb wrote:

golfnoob25 wrote:

The path should be OB
    ^^^^X100

The hole is intended to be an island green. Everything in the water should result in re teeing.

I'm not saying change the rules. But they could easily mark the area of the footpath OB
  • grm24grm24 Advanced Members Posts: 2,908 ✭✭
    golfnoob25 wrote:

grm24 wrote:

Chazb wrote:

golfnoob25 wrote:

The path should be OB
    ^^^^X100

The hole is intended to be an island green. Everything in the water should result in re teeing.

I'm not saying change the rules. But they could easily mark the area of the footpath OB
    Please just stop. To quote another poster above "[background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]Thank goodness your not on the rules committee." [/background]
  • nsxguynsxguy FloridaAdvanced Members Posts: 4,882 ✭✭
    golfnoob25 wrote:

grm24 wrote:

Chazb wrote:

golfnoob25 wrote:

The path should be OB
    ^^^^X100

No, they couldn't.

Out of bounds is OFF the course. The path is quite clearly ON the course.

Try again.
    Callaway Fusion 9* Project X Handcrafted Hzrdus
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Titleist 816 AP-1 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-3 50*, 56*, 64
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne
    Titleist AVX
  • nsxguynsxguy FloridaAdvanced Members Posts: 4,882 ✭✭
    Holy Moses wrote:

Vijay was the first I saw use this particular rule/option a week or 2 ago.

While the players have shown they didn't read up on the new rules (not all of them of course, just the whiners) this particular situation could easily be overlooked as all of the players are used to having to go back over the water as a yellow penalty area is supposed to force the player to do.

This situation is really a "hole" in the Rule that is supposed to be cleared up with a clarification that this particular drop is NOT allowed. However, the clarification is yet to be issued. image/dntknw.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':dntknw:' />
    Callaway Fusion 9* Project X Handcrafted Hzrdus
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Titleist 816 AP-1 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-3 50*, 56*, 64
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne
    Titleist AVX
  • indianalawnguyindianalawnguy Advanced Members Posts: 365 ✭✭
    In my opinion there should be a rules official on #17 the entire tournament. It is Tiger and Lacavas responsibility, but it is def hard to tell frim the tee on #17 at Sawgrass and a permanent rules official on that hole would be nice!
  • turtlekcturtlekc 1995 MN PGA WisconsinClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 12,699 ClubWRX
    nsxguy wrote:

No, they couldn't.

Out of bounds is OFF the course. The path is quite clearly ON the course.

Try again.

whoops...

It could be marked as OB, but it would be silly to do so IMO.
    I could be wrong
    I've been wrong before
    I'll be wrong again
  • Man_O_WarMan_O_War Advanced Members Posts: 2,663 ✭✭

what's the difference between Tiger's first shot going in the water and Rory's third round second shot on 16 (par 5) going in the water and him dropping just off the green from point of entry into the water. Rory knew the rules..

Cobra LTD Pro Matrix F6M2/F7M3/Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC/ Fuji 661 III
    Cobra LTD 3/4 Kai'li 80
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Kai'li 80
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Nike Vapor Pro Irons Modus 120x SSx2 4-pw
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
    Machine LN M6