Tiger on 17 at Sawgrass

On Friday, when Tiger hit his first shot long on 17, it trickled down the walkway a few feet before falling in the water. Someone asked if he could have dropped on the walkway. A reply said they have to retee or use the dropzone. Does anyone here which is correct.

If they had a local rule saying that, wouldn’t it be in violation of the basic rule for dealing with the ball in the penalty area?
Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

Comments

• BrianMcGBrianMcG Members Posts: 2,221 ✭✭
    He could have dropped on the other side. They had a thing about it on Live From last night.
    Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • BrianMcGBrianMcG Members Posts: 2,221 ✭✭
    Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,612 ClubWRX
    Thanks Brian. Didn’t see it last night. Really surprised at Tiger missing that.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • NewbyNewby Members Posts: 6,423 ✭✭

Well, he is a Professional Golfer after all. They seemingly don't learn to read at school. image/read.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':read:' />
  • WHC888WHC888 Members Posts: 2,709 ✭✭
    yellow line surround the green and pathway, so as long as the ball crossed the yellow line player would have an option to keep that point and flag and drop??

9kddR95.jpg
    Taylormade M5 9* w/ CK Pro Orange 60s
    Callaway Rogue SZ 13.5* w/ Proforce V2
    Taylormade P790 3 - 4 Irons KBS FLT
    Taylormade P750 5 - 6 Irons KBS C Taper Lite
    Taylormade P730 7 - 9 Irons KBS $ Taper

NIKE OVEN Engage Wedges 46* Mike Taylor Specials

ARTISAN GOLF 0318 mallet ws8C8Un.jpg
    ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 49* wedge / KBS $Taper
    ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 53* wedge / KBS $Taper
    ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 58* wedge / KBS $Taper

Taylormade P7TW on deck

xG7EixQ.png
    His ball fell in to the water at around the vertical post at the end of the shadow. The new rule does not specify that the relief shot has to be taken from behind the yellow penalty area. He may take a line from the hole, through where it last crossed the margin as far back as he likes and then drop within 1cl of that line not nearer the hole. In this case this would be towards the end of the path
  • farmerfarmer Members Posts: 7,776 ✭✭
    Rules are dull to read, and there was a lot of basketball on tv.
  • rogolfrogolf Members Posts: 3,651 ✭✭
    The video with Chamblee et al explains it very well, other than Chamblee used his putter to measure the club-length. The longest club (other than a putter) that Tiger had in his bag could have been used.
    farmer wrote:

So are tax laws, but professional accountants seem to read them!
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,352 ClubWRX
    rogolf wrote:

farmer wrote:

So are tax laws, but professional accountants seem to read them!

So do rules officials, lol - more appropriate analogy!

Pro golfers can read (DJ?), but they can't be bothered to pick up the book, IMO.
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,290 ✭✭
    Not surprised at all. This was a very obscure "catch" that the guys here on WRX found around last November on the "Yellow PA Area thread.
    And the only time I've seen it used was a couple of weeks ago when Vijay got a very similar ruling at the Honda(?).
    So it's unlikely to have been on, or come onto, the player's "radar".
    Of course now that it's been "publicized" by Golf Channel AND it was about Tiger, everybody'll know. 

ANY SITE GUIDANCE I OFFER, UNLESS SPECIFIED OTHERWISE, IS REFERRING TO THE "DESKTOP/FULL" VERSION

Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Titleist 716 AP-1, 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-3 50*, 56*, 64 DGS300

Taylormade Spidex-X Blue/single white line (Today - always subject to change)
    Titleist AVX
    nsxguy said:
    Not surprised at all. This was a very obscure "catch" that the guys here on WRX found around last November on the "Yellow PA Area thread.

It's been all over the internet in various rules forums for months
  • Mr. BeanMr. Bean Members Posts: 3,805 ✭✭
    rogolf said:
    The video with Chamblee et al explains it very well, other than Chamblee used his putter to measure the club-length. The longest club (other than a putter) that Tiger had in his bag could have been used.
    To be enormously precise: would have been used. It is no option, the measure of the longest club (excl. putter) MUST be used.
    Mr. Bean said:
    rogolf said:
    To be enormously precise: would have been used. It is no option, the measure of the longest club (excl. putter) MUST be used.
    Agree, but there is no penalty for measuring with a shorter club, dropping in that relief area and playing from within the relief area as measured by that club.
  • HitEmTrueHitEmTrue North TexasMembers Posts: 6,283 ✭✭
    Mr. Bean said:
    rogolf said:

Why?
    HitEmTrue said:
    Mr. Bean said:
    rogolf said:

Why?
    I guess because the Rules say so. See Definition of Club-Length.
  • turtlekcturtlekc 1995 MN PGA WisconsinClubWRX Posts: 12,779 ClubWRX
    Wow, I was completely in agreement with HiEm, but in reading the definition, interpretations and clarification, I’m not so sure either way. The clarification also opens another can of worms. It could be read as if you are taking an unplayable, and your drop rolls back into the same condition, you would get relief. That would be a big change, and not sure if intended?  I may be, and am probably wrong on both, but anxious to hear other opinions...

Relief Area:

1. Determining Whether Ball in Relief Area:
    When determining whether a ball has come to rest within a relief area (i.e. either one or two club-lengths from the reference point depending on the Rule being applied), the ball is in the relief area if any part of the ball is within the one or two club-length measurement. However, a ball is not in a relief area if any part of the ball is nearer the hole than the reference point or when any part of the ball has interference from the condition from which free relief is taken. (Added 12/2018)
    I could be wrong
    I've been wrong before
    I'll be wrong again
    Turtle, what on earth are you talking about?
    Mr. Bean said:
    HitEmTrue said:
    Mr. Bean said:
    rogolf said:

Why?
    I guess because the Rules say so. See Definition of Club-Length.
    That is how the relief area is defined.  The rules do not say you must use that club (or any club at all) to determine exactly where you are going to drop.

Is there no decision...er interpretation...that clarifies this any more?  There certainly aren't very many interpretations on Rule 17.

Did the old forum require hitting 'enter' twice between paragraphs to make it look right?

I’m reading the last sentence of the "clarification” (LOL) I posted. Admittedly I’m a little lost with the new changes @Mr. Bean
    I could be wrong
    I've been wrong before
    I'll be wrong again
    That last point may make no sense anymore now that the ball cant roll 2 club lengths as it could last year...
    I could be wrong
    I've been wrong before
    I'll be wrong again
    Sorry guys, I’m having a bad day and fear I’m clouding the issue with nonsense. I’m going to shut up and listen!  :)
    I could be wrong
    I've been wrong before
    I'll be wrong again
  • HaleboppHalebopp Members Posts: 2,767 ✭✭
    turtlekc said:
    Sorry guys, I’m having a bad day and fear I’m clouding the issue with nonsense. I’m going to shut up and listen!  :)
    You aren't getting free relief from anything when taking a drop for an unplayable so that bit would be moot but maybe you already figured it out.  :)
    Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
    MP-650, 9.5º / 917 F2, 16.5º / MP-H5, 21º / MP-4, 4-PW / MP-T5 50.07 / FG Tour PMP: 55.12, 59.10 / Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4
    WITB Link
    Halebopp said:
    turtlekc said:
    You aren't getting free relief from anything when taking a drop for an unplayable so that bit would be moot but maybe you already figured it out.  :)
    Cheers Hale. Total brain ****.  B)
    I could be wrong
    I've been wrong before
    I'll be wrong again
    turtlekc said:

Hey Kev, just consider it practice using the new software!
    HitEmTrue said:
    turtlekc said:

Hey Kev, just consider it practice using the new software!
    Exactly!!! 
    I could be wrong
    I've been wrong before
    I'll be wrong again

This is interesting, there is no quote -button available...

@Mr. Bean , nope it’s gone for now. Probably will work better when it returns.

@Mr. Bean @HitEmTrue
    Work in progress, but I have a really good feeling that things will be even better than before when it's done!

I could be wrong
    I've been wrong before
    I'll be wrong again

HitEmTrue wrote: '@Mr. Bean , nope it’s gone for now. Probably will work better when it returns.'

Well, it could not work worse than now, could it?