ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better. Link to full post HERE

Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Wedge Spin Difference

PlayinPingPlayinPing Advanced Members Posts: 55
I stopped by the Titliest tent at the demo day today at my course. Long story short my I wanted to compare my Ping Glide wedges vs the new S7 Vokeys.

According to the Trackman my average spin with my Ping 54 was about 5000 vs the Vokey 54 at 10k. Same result when I compared the 58 degree wedges. I carried the Vokeys 5 yards less.

That seemed like a crazy difference in spin rates, and I almost dont believe the Trackman. They both had standard wedge flex shafts.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Would gaming the Vokeys make a noticeable difference?

Comments

• noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaAdvanced Members Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    edited March 16
    How new are your wedges? Were they clean? Groove wear could play a part in the spin difference but the difference is so large I’d be scratching my head too.
    Taylormade M6 driver with MCA Tensei CK Pro White 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood with MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 hybrid with MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC irons 5-PW Irons with Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-08 and 62-08 with Modus3 105 Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Futura 7M
    Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 2
    Titleist Pro V1
  • PlayinPingPlayinPing Advanced Members Posts: 55
    edited March 16

My Glides are only 6 months old. I cant remember where I bought them from online but I feel like with a difference like that they almost have to be counterfeit. lol

noodle3872 wrote:

How new are your wedges? Groove wear could play a part in the spin difference but the difference is so large I’d be scratching my head too.
  • GolfChannelGolfChannel Advanced Members Posts: 1,581 ✭✭
    Sometimes a club just fits your eye better, if the difference is that drastic in spin numbers you are obviously doing something different with the Glides. I have seen a difference of a 1000 rpm between wedges, but 5000 is technique.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Driver: He who shall not be named...[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]3 Wood: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]5 Wood: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Hybrid: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Titleist 816H1 21 Degree w/Accra 182H M3[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Irons: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Wedges: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD3 50, 54, and Honma TW737 Forged 62[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Putter: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7 [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ball: Callaway ChromeSoft 2018 (Yellow)[/font]
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Advanced Members Posts: 4,688 ✭✭
    That is a crazy difference, I can definitely see why you are questioning the numbers.

How do you find the Glides out on the course? Are you struggling for spin when you play them? Do you throw them up really high in the air? So many possible questions...
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow White T1100
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08, 54.10 & 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x
  • PlayinPingPlayinPing Advanced Members Posts: 55
    I have struggled with them on the course. I hit them long with a full swing 105yds with the 58. But I definitely cant stop them from 75 and in. I thought it was me but now I am thinking it's the club

MattyO1984 wrote:

That is a crazy difference, I can definitely see why you are questioning the numbers.

How do you find the Glides out on the course? Are you struggling for spin when you play them? Do you throw them up really high in the air? So many possible questions...