ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better. Link to full post HERE

Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

When Tour Golf Creeps into Real Life

CrushSticksCrushSticks Advanced Members Posts: 614 ✭✭
So I’ve been thinking about all these slow play threads and people saying that the silly thing Tour players do makes us hacks try to emulate them on the course. It reminded me of a friend of mine a few years back:

Hits a decent tee shot that misses the fairway about 15 yards into the tall right rough. We think we know where it should be but just can’t find it. Tough break. We have some cash on the line, so I tell him he’s got to go back to the tee, or for pace of play purpose, drop around there and hit 4.

He tells me no, if I was on tour this wouldn’t have happened. The grass would have been matted down by galleries or someone would have found it for him. I state the obvious, that we are clearly NOT on tour, but he won’t relent and I just say whatever and let him take a freebie.

I’d love to hear some of your stories of playing partners acting like your pros!
Wilson Fg Tour M3- Black Ops Black Mamba
Adams Tight Lies 3-16
Adams Tight Lies 5-19(Fuji Speeder 7.2)
Wilson FG Tour V4 Utility - 3
Wilson FG Tour M3 4-GW (Dynamic Gold XP)
Vokey SM 09 56
Odyssey Versa 1W WBW 34"

Comments

• tanker44tanker44 Advanced Members Posts: 238
    I've had a buddy on the course claim he would bomb 20+ foot putts all day long on tour since on tour they putt on perfect greens that roll perfectly true... rather than the diseased, beaten, inconsistent, etc greens we play. It was a good laugh.
    Titleist TS2
    Titleist TS3 15*
    Titleist 818H 19*
    Callaway X Forged 4/PW
    Callaway MD4 Raw 52/56/60
    Ping Anser Cadence CB
  • rawdograwdog Advanced Members Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    tanker44 wrote:

I've had a buddy on the course claim he would bomb 20+ foot putts all day long on tour since on tour they putt on perfect greens that roll perfectly true... rather than the diseased, beaten, inconsistent, etc greens we play. It was a good laugh.

That guy is out of his mind. The same "poor" conditions have also helped him make putts that otherwise wouldn't have gone in.

It's not what's seen, but what isn't.
    Cobra LTD Driver
    Aldila Rogue Black, 9.5* @44.5"
    In1Zone Single Length Fairway Woods

Graffaloy ProLaunch Axis Blue @41.5" 5W = 19*
    Graffaloy ProLaunch Axis Blue @41.5" 7W = 23*
    Cobra F7 One Length Irons
    Nippon Modus 105 Stiff @ 36.5"
    6I = 24* 7I = 29* 8I = 34* 9I = 39* PW = 44* GW = 49* SW = 54* LW = 59*
    Odyssey #9 HT Metal X Milled @33.5"
    Maxfli SoftFli
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 16,740 ClubWRX
    LOL, one of the reasons I don’t play for $. Friend tries that playing for $, the Tour will intervene with a real ruling. ;-)
  • golfandfishinggolfandfishing Advanced Members Posts: 3,351 ✭✭
    I’d let the guy drop, then follow him around while taking pictures and shouting GETINTHEHOLEBABABOOYYOUDAMAN after every shot.
  • Steele47Steele47 Advanced Members Posts: 1,150 ✭✭
    When I get paired with some jacknob in white slacks and neon green shirt I will now have the two word phrase 'tour creep' in mind. For that I thank you.
  • ArniesArmy1234ArniesArmy1234 Advanced Members Posts: 83 ✭✭
    I have a few of these that I’ve come across for sure
  • Swisstrader98Swisstrader98 Advanced Members Posts: 3,477 ✭✭
    “Playing partners acting like pros??!!”

How is taking a free drop and you giving him a free drop even remotely related to being on tour. Also, you may be the first guy who gives a free drop to an FC when there’s money on the line.
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Advanced Members Posts: 11,380 ✭✭
    The guy tha circles the hole is not a friend of mine
    Ping G400 LST 11* Mitsu TI BB Matte 53x
    Callaway GBB 3w 14* Mitsu Blueboard 63x
    Ping G400 5w 17* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Callaway V-series Hwood Fuji TS 8.2s
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fujikura 904HBs
    Ping Rapture 5-PW Aldila NV MLTi Pro105x
    Ping iWedge 50* Aldila NV 105x
    Ping Zing 2 BeCu s2 54.5* & s3 57.5*
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter Advanced Members Posts: 4,204 ✭✭
    I have Ivor Robson announce my presence on the first tee.
    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings
  • LlortamaiseyLlortamaisey Advanced Members Posts: 5,861
    I always complain about insufficient applause.
  • TServosTServos Advanced Members Posts: 374
    I’ll take a shot over sometimes early in a round with the excuse that if I were a pro I’d have warmed up more before playing. But I don’t play for money and I don’t keep a handicap....so it’s okay.
    Ping
  • south_side_leftysouth_side_lefty Advanced Members Posts: 1,109 ✭✭
    rawdog wrote:

tanker44 wrote:

That guy is out of his mind. The same "poor" conditions have also helped him make putts that otherwise wouldn't have gone in.

It's not what's seen, but what isn't.

Exactly. I actually encourage my playing partners to walk in my putting line.
  • BrianMcGBrianMcG Advanced Members Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    You need to start yelling "Mashed Potatoes!", during every tee shot now.
    Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Advanced Members Posts: 24,249 ✭✭
    I will admit to administering the “ twirl of doom” on occasion.  And once with a holed  bunker shot from a wet hard lie,  that spun uphill a foot and went in , I did wave to the crowd.  Lol. 

TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design AD DI 8X
    Ping i500 pre-production proto 3 iron Graphite Design AD DI 105X
    Ping i500 4-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged 50 54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • KillerPenguinKillerPenguin Advanced Members Posts: 521 ✭✭
    Gonna walk a putt in the next round I play.  And by "in," I mean four feet past the hole.
  • aceofclubsaceofclubs Advanced Members Posts: 813 ✭✭

I feel like a douche when i do anything that resembles something a tour player would do.....even if its actually beneficial to my game.
    Like stretching pre round, standing behind my ball on the tee to pick a target, practice swings, reading a putt for more than 3 seconds. My buddies bust on me for eating healthy snacks during a round.

Maybe i just need a new group to play with.....

Driver: TBD
    Fairway: Taylormade Superfast 16.5*/Even Flow Blue
    Hybrid: Titleist 913H/Rogue Black
    Irons: Mizuno MP 59s
    Wedges: Titleist SM4 52/56/60
    Putter: This area intentionally left blank
  • smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Advanced Members Posts: 862 ✭✭

We have started taking drops like Rickie. Straight from the pooper.

• HankshankHankshank Advanced Members Posts: 1,482 ✭✭

The most obvious to me are all the 18+ handicappers scrutinzing putt lines from all possible angles for a minute.
    Then putting it 3 meters too long and two meters wide.

• HankshankHankshank Advanced Members Posts: 1,482 ✭✭

What irritates me most, though are guys talking English to balls in the air. Sit, fly, break and stuff. Even heard a fellow viking yelling ”be right” once, and with too little irony.