Which irons won't you play and why?

Comments

• dubbelbogeydubbelbogey Members Posts: 393 ✭✭

I'll play pretty much anything as long as they fit reasonably well for length, lie and are within a grade of my usual shaft flex. I can figure out lofts after a simple range session or a round or two. It all works about the same.

I happen to still have the set of crappy, cast zinc alloy box set clubs I played my first season of golf from long ago. (They are kept in the attic to give to out-of-town guests who are too dumb to rent a better set.) Yep, they still work, too.

• EgobblewobbleEgobblewobble Members Posts: 303 ✭✭

I’d say ping and Taylormade. I had a set of ping I irons and had a bad experience they didn’t feel great and the soles were too chunky. And I don’t really like the looks of any of their irons. Taylormade just doesn’t seem worthy to me and I feel like other companies have way better offerings

That dog'll hunt
  • bird_4_3bird_4_3 Members Posts: 601 ✭✭

Mizuno, owned a few sets and never figured out what all the hype was about.

TM M4 w/ UST V2
    Epic 3
    Wishon 949 5 wood Oban Devotion
    Srixon U85 5-6 and 785 7-PW
    Odyssey O Works #7 Putter
    TM Milled Grid Wedges
  • IamMarkMacIamMarkMac SF Bay AreaMembers Posts: 664 ✭✭

Titleist. I don’t think I have anything against them really but each time I’m out for new irons and I’m testing a bunch they’ve just never made it to serious consideration.

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
    Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
    Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
    Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
    Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
    Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2
  • mbbrewermbbrewer Members Posts: 971 ✭✭

I never say never anymore. I didn’t expect I’d be playing Srixons but they’re great irons. Never played a Callaway or Taylor made iron but would be willing to try them if they fit the bill.

• Mrgreen36Mrgreen36 Members Posts: 25 ✭✭

Anything cavity back

• grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,088 ✭✭

I'll play any club that works for me. I have no overriding brand grudge/dislike/hate/snobbery that will ever get in the way of me playing equipment that makes the game more enjoyable and/or easier for me.

• wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members Posts: 867 ✭✭

I prefer Hogan, Cobra, or Wilson irons. Don't really care for anything else.

• rkelso184rkelso184 Members Posts: 176 ✭✭

@tgoodspe1991 said:
    PXG -- I would love to try them, but spending $3,400 on a set of irons only to lose 50% of their value when I inevitably put them on the BST would just be painful lol

I would pay $5,000 for a set of irons if it meant everything I hit went straight and on line

Driver - G410 Evenflow Black 70S
    4W - F9 Fuji Speeder XLR8 Pro 73S
    6W - F9 Fuji Speeder XLR8 Pro 73S
    4H - JPX900 Fuji Pro 73HS
    5 to P - P790 1" Over KBS Tour S
    50-54-58 - MD4 Black DGS200 TI 
    P - Spider X 35"
    Ball - Chrome Soft

• Jimjam651Jimjam651 Members Posts: 28 ✭✭

I just won't play big clubs, prefer small headed drivers, woods, irons etc

Haven't gone to full blades yet but have been a small cavity user for most of my serious golfing life, started off with a set of Callaway 2008 x tour irons followed by Titleist 710cbs and this summer an upgrade to 718 cbs

• JAMH03JAMH03 Members Posts: 434 ✭✭

@ssfranny said:

@JAMH03 said:
    No need to be apologetic here just give us the straight truth even if it doesn't make sense.

Which irons do you refuse to play and why?

Just rename to “why you wont play PXG irons” haha

SSF ha ha ha!

Comparisons are odious.

• chersheychershey Golf is not a game of perfect...unless you're me Mount Pleasant, SCMembers Posts: 450 ✭✭

I'm not sure why but I always struggle to get good performance out of Mizuno irons. I love how they look and they do feel great on center strikes but I really struggle to hit them consistently whenever I try them out. It's an iron that I'd love to bag but I can't ignore the poor numbers I get from them.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
    Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
    Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
    Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
    Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
    Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
    Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
    Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
    Titleist Pro V1 
  • jbrunkjbrunk Members Posts: 575 ✭✭

AP2s, and by extension anything Titleist. I never hit a sh***k before trying the AP2 PW for the first time. Now it’s in my head.

Ping G400 10.5° Alta CB 55
    Cobra F6 3W & Baffler LTD Rogue Black 70
    Cobra F8 4Hy 22° Rogue Pro 75
    Callaway XF/MB 5i-PW Modus3 120
    Mizuno S18 52° 56° 60°
    Bettinardi iNOVAi 3.0 CS

• tgoodspe1991tgoodspe1991 New EnglandMembers Posts: 729 ✭✭

@rkelso184 said:

@tgoodspe1991 said:
    PXG -- I would love to try them, but spending $3,400 on a set of irons only to lose 50% of their value when I inevitably put them on the BST would just be painful lol

I would pay $5,000 for a set of irons if it meant everything I hit went straight and on line

I would pay $1M for a set of clubs that did that. You'd make up that cost with just one PGA Tour win haha

“Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same
    time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
    - Arnold Palmer
  • AG12AG12 Members Posts: 599 ✭✭

Callaway....don't know why. I wasnt a fan of Cobra either but those black forged tec irons look pretty sweet

Titleist TS2 9.5* Tensei Pro White 60S
    Titleist TS2 15* Tensei Pro White 70S
    Titleist 818H2 21* Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 8S
    PING i210 4-UW Project X LZ 120
    Taylormade Hi-Toe 56*/60* 
    Taylormade Spider X Navy 
    TaylorMade TP5
    WITB
  • TryAgainPlsTryAgainPls Members Posts: 26 ✭✭

Callaway. Just can't deal with the sound of the woods and I hate every iron they've ever made.

except the Apex mb. that sucker is nice.

• bigdanebigdane Members Posts: 2

@TryAgainPls said:
    Callaway. Just can't deal with the sound of the woods and I hate every iron they've ever made.

except the Apex mb. that sucker is nice.

The Apex MBs are copies of older Hogan irons, that's probably why you like them

• bigdanebigdane Members Posts: 2

I'm an old geezer, but I have played since 1964, and still keep a hcp of 8.
    I have tried to find MBs that I like, and have both Titleist , Taylormade TP2014 MBs - the latter is pretty OK, but nothing special, really.
    Just for the h*ll of it, I reshafted my 1999 Hogan Apex irons with KBS regular shafts (they were originally Apex 4s) - and it was just like coming home from a long and frustrating journey - early season here yet, but I lowered my hcp to 7 within the last month. Old love never rusts - but I am looking forward to hear from Hogan whether they can supply me with a set of Ft. Worth, including a 3-iron. If so, they are bought.

• kiwiikiwii Members Posts: 734 ✭✭

I won’t refuse to play anything if it’s for testing, curiosity, hype, or experimenting purposes.

As for irons I would what I would use in a tournament or a money game, the list of irons I would not use is 10 fold longer than the irons I would trust. I’m not sure that is any sort of useful information.

'17 M1 460 9.5/ Rogue Silver
    XR '14 Pro/ PX LZ
    Adams 9031 18°/ Diamana WB
    716 AP24-pw/DG AMT S300
    '14 TM TP 52/56/60
    2014 Squareback/ Lamkin DE + 2 wraps
    Ogio Ozone, TM targa tour
    Tour Boost 360
    TM TP5/ Srixon Zstar XV
  • s1mZs1mZ Members Posts: 83 ✭✭

One Length irons!
    I just don't understand how they are supposed to work? In all fairness, I have not tried them. But why...i enjoy working with different lengths and lofts.

• NRJyzrNRJyzr Allez Allez Allez Minnesota, USAMembers Posts: 6,269 ✭✭

@bigdane said:
    I'm an old geezer, but I have played since 1964, and still keep a hcp of 8.
    I have tried to find MBs that I like, and have both Titleist , Taylormade TP2014 MBs - the latter is pretty OK, but nothing special, really.
    Just for the h*ll of it, I reshafted my 1999 Hogan Apex irons with KBS regular shafts (they were originally Apex 4s) - and it was just like coming home from a long and frustrating journey - early season here yet, but I lowered my hcp to 7 within the last month. Old love never rusts - but I am looking forward to hear from Hogan whether they can supply me with a set of Ft. Worth, including a 3-iron. If so, they are bought.

The Ft Worth 4 iron is pretty much the same as the 99 Apex 3 iron, so you may not need it. :)

The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Cobra King LTD, ProtoPype 80x or RIP 80x, 43.5" -or- SuperDeep 9.5*, ProtoPype 80x or NV85x, 43.5"
    3w: Cobra King LTD, Motore F1 85 X, 42.5"
    1 iron: Maxfli Revolution, DGS400
    2-PW, Golden Ram Tour Grind, Dynamic S
    SW: Ram Tour Grind Feel Matched 58*, DGS
    Putter: Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34.5", PP58 midsize grip
    (Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35" -or- Mizuno TPM-2, 35" as backups)
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV, Snell MTB Black... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time
    Shoes by True Linkswear
  • bodhi555bodhi555 Members Posts: 736 ✭✭

@rkelso184 said:

@tgoodspe1991 said:

I wouldn't - all the courses I play are heavily tree-lined, and with my sometimes shonky tee game, I need the ability to hit a big slinging hook with a 6 iron to get out of trouble.

Other than that I wouldn't play anything from Ping, and any of their stuff I've tried has been incredibly disappointing. I think I can still feel the Eye 2+ BeCu 4 iron I caught thin in 1995....

The Blue Thunder: Nike Vapor Fly - 9.5 degree - Speeder Evolution 757X
    The Stenson: Nike Vapor Fly 3W - Mitsubishi JvlnFX 74 X-Flex
    The Walking Stick: Titleist 818 H2 19 degree - Aldila Rogue Max 85X
    The Blades: Nike VR Pro 4i - PW - DG S400 TI Shaft
    The Rusties: Nike Engage 50, 54 Square Sole, 58 Toe Sweep
    The Putter: Nike "The Oven" Method 003
    Balls: Nike RZN Tour Black/Platinum, Bridgestone Tour B XS, Titleist AVX
    Bag: Sun Mountain Four Five

Also in Rotation:

Driving Iron: Nike Vapor Fly 2 iron - KBS C-Taper 120S
    Wedge: Nike Engage 58 Dual Sole
    Putters: Yonex Super A.D.X Tour Forged / Scotty Cameron Newport Oil Can / Scotty Cameron California Del Mar
  • Even FurtherEven Further Members Posts: 195 ✭✭

Yonex - Because at the time, I was a loyal Yonex customer on my 4th set of irons. I bought a brand new Yonex driver. Driver cracked apart under 100 range balls. After the RMA and evaluation, they claimed I broke it by accidental impact, and made up a story that I damaged it. They wanted to sell me a new driver head, and they said they would not warranty the new driver head either. No more Yonex anything for me.

Driver... Cobra LTD Elements Chrome+
    Fairway... Adams Tight Lies (2013)
    Irons... 4-P Wilson F5 Kuro Kage 85R
    Wedge... Cleveland RTX-3
    Putter... Odyssey DFX 6600 Super Stroke 2.0 XL
  • Golfer4LifeGolfer4Life “Don’t bother me with your pettiness” Lake Placid, N.Y. Whiteface G.C.ClubWRX Posts: 2,292 ✭✭

Anything “Blades” because I have no business doing so. :)

PING 400 Max and a Bag full of PXG’s.......
    Non Titleist Cameron Welded Neck 35/330g SC 009
    “Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”
  • gpleonardgpleonard New Smyrna Beach, FloridaMembers Posts: 1,244 ✭✭

PXG - overpriced. Nike-just not my style. Single length irons- hokey in my mind.

Gil Leonard
  • BarrySandersBarrySanders Members Posts: 60 ✭✭

@JAMH03 said:
    No need to be apologetic here just give us the straight truth even if it doesn't make sense.

Anything over 150 dollars used. Not going to be responsible for the rising of prices on golf irons that are all marketing and do nothing for your game.

• JAMH03JAMH03 Members Posts: 434 ✭✭

@BarrySanders said:

@JAMH03 said:

Anything over 150 dollars used. Not going to be responsible for the rising of prices on golf irons that are all marketing and do nothing for your game.

20 Which irons do you especially like?

Comparisons are odious.

• Jack PearsallJack Pearsall Members Posts: 3,325 ✭✭

....rental clubs weren’t always ap2s....for most decades, you’d get some really beat clubs, at least at munis. Golf gear is pretty great today.
    Specifically, Jack Pearsall always had a dedicated revulsion for Ping iSI’s aesthetics but never doubted their utility. The ball went straight. But while effective, that iSI iron looked more like a plumbing supply. JP Was playing Hogan’s back then and was a monstrous club snob no doubt. But things change too, and he admits that today an old Ping iSI in becu looks cool to JP. Go figure.

Generally, oversized club heads and some of the EGI stuff (excessive game improvement). Nike Slingshots come to mind. Also, he doesn’t like hybrid iron sets. He doesn’t ever want to get to that point and fears someday he’ll be drooling in the fairway with a walker swinging viciously for those 80 yards...

Taylormade SLDR TP 430 10*
    Taylormade Aeroburner 15*
    Taylormade SLDR 19*
    Mizuno MP FliHi 21* 24*
    Mizuno MP-15 5-PW
    Epon 210KGX 52* 56*
    Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport Longneck
  • Krt22Krt22 Members Posts: 6,433 ✭✭

For the most part anything that isnt Srixon, Bridgestone, or Mizuno

• niscur24niscur24 Members Posts: 1,431 ✭✭

For years it was always PING....basically anything PING. Never like the looks from when I first started playing in high school and it carried into my adult life.
    However the older me has grown and and the club HO in me has a full bag of PING on order.

Cobra F8+ HZRDUS Yellow 75
    Cobra F8+ 3/4 Tour Blue 85
    Cobra F8+ 5/6 Tour Blue 85
    Cobra F9 4H PX6.5
    Cobra Tour Forged 5-Pw KBS Flighted 125
    Nike Vr Forged 50/54/58 DG
    Some form of a Scotty

PLUS A PLETHORA OF NIKE BACKUPS

WITB:http://www.golfwrx.c...date-nike-time/