Koepka Down 24 Lbs

Comments

• MidwestGolfBumMidwestGolfBum Corporate Golfer Extraordinaire MSN/MKE/DSMMembers  1584WRX Points: 321Posts: 1,584 Platinum Tees
    QuigleyDU said:
    25 pounds is a lot of change in a relatively short period of time. that will throw your swing off. If maintained, I would think someone as skilled as Brooks would adjust, but in a short span yeah, you will feel different. Your body will move differently, he will have to buy smaller shifts so his guns show. etc.. all nuances to adjust to.
    Not that I am anywhere near his caliber, but when I lost a ton of weight a couple of winters ago my swing felt foreign. Granted, I was just fat, so having more flexibility and less fat to move about while I swung actually left me hitting the ball farther. It took a bit to get some of the short game and touch type shots back though. I have to imagine that given he wasn't fat, some of the weight that he lost was in muscle mass which has some to do with the shorter distances Brooks has mentioned. I have no doubt that if he is going to sustain the new weight, he will figure out how to make a golf swing that will have him competing. 
    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei White 70TX
    Titleist 917F3 15* Graphite Design AD-DI 7X black
    Titleist T-MB 2i Graphite Design AD-95X Utility/Driving iron
    Titleist 714 MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100 or Cally RazrX MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100
    Vokey SM7, 52.08, 56.10, 60.08 True Temper TI S400
    Byron DH89 or Piretti Proto

The bag is always a work in progress.
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • FergusonFerguson Members  5796WRX Points: 3,152Handicap: 7.0Posts: 5,796 Titanium Tees
    Hawkeye77 said:
    Didn’t he pick up some weird virus on vacation? Been getting IVs pretty much every week.

Not surprised the press didn’t notice.
    Unusual weight loss?  He could be having relationship issues.  
    Posted:
  • lopey986lopey986 ClubWRX  2341WRX Points: 361Posts: 2,341 Platinum Tees

So Brook’s has lost 24lbs and his driving/swing is suffering, isn’t this the opposite of what the ‘so called experts’ were religiously stating about players bulking up and it impeding their driving/swing.

Yet more proof they’re talking about topics above their pay-grade.

that's the funniest thing to me, guys bulk up and they get dragged because you don't need to be big to be a golfer! brooks drops weight, gets dragged because that's dumb why would you EF with your game?!
    Posted:
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members  28580WRX Points: 5,219Posts: 28,580 Titanium Tees
    A driver head, shaft, and grip weigh like nothing, about as much as a big cheeseburger. If lifting equaled distance, NFL players would be hitting it 500 yards.
    Brooks packed on muscle over time but his natural weight is probably like 185. If he stopped lifting, over time, he would lose the muscle/weight anyway. If you look at the tour, the players are generally focused on keeping trim, it seems. And they kill the ball. BK's workouts are great but he could accomplish the same stability and golf related benefits without lifting at all.

Here is your PGA Tour distance leader. Built like a linebacker ; )

Image result for cameron champ
    Posted:
  • DFS PFDDFS PFD Members  1589WRX Points: 801Handicap: 1.8Posts: 1,589 Platinum Tees
    While 24 pounds is a lot of weight, I guarantee he puts on close 7-10 pounds overnight after the shoot with water weight alone and then reverse diets his way back to a maintenance weight and this is behind him in a 14 days max. Not a big deal at all for people who regularly train and have solid nutrition. (yes very stressful on the body) 
    Posted:
    SIM 8* Ventus Black 6X
    G410 LST  HZRDUS Smoke Hulk 6.5TX 60g 
    Epic Flash SZ 15* Tensei PW 80TX
    2-PW Ping Blueprint DG X7
    55* SM8 Raw
    61* SM8 Raw
    L.A.B 2.1 

• nolayupnolayup Members  42WRX Points: 41Posts: 42 Bunkers
    A driver head, shaft, and grip weigh like nothing, about as much as a big cheeseburger. If lifting equaled distance, NFL players would be hitting it 500 yards.
    Brooks packed on muscle over time but his natural weight is probably like 185. If he stopped lifting, over time, he would lose the muscle/weight anyway. If you look at the tour, the players are generally focused on keeping trim, it seems. And they kill the ball. BK's workouts are great but he could accomplish the same stability and golf related benefits without lifting at all.

Been in many locker rooms? Built more like a kicker. 
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members  28580WRX Points: 5,219Posts: 28,580 Titanium Tees
    nolayup said:

You must be new here... 
    Lol. I was in the locker room today laughin at the people who run in and drink protein shakes *during their workout ; )
    Posted:
  • cwolfsoncwolfson cwolf Members  458WRX Points: 63Handicap: 2Posts: 458 Greens
    The is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard. 

Dude won 2 majors last.  Who’s gives a sh*t about taking pictures for espn. 
    Posted:
    TaylorMade M2 10.5 - Aldila Rogue Max X
    TaylorMade M2 3Hl - AD DI 8X
    Adams Pro black Hybrid 20*, Voodoo X
    Titleist 712U 4 iron, X100
    Titleist 690.cb. 5-9 iron. X100
    SM5 46* F, 50* F, 54* S, 58K
    Scotty Cameron '96 Tour Issue Newport 
  • ebrasmus21ebrasmus21 Serial Shanker CAMembers  6050WRX Points: 1,729Handicap: 2.7Posts: 6,050 Titanium Tees
    nolayup said:

You must be new here... 
    Lol. I was in the locker room today laughin at the people who run in and drink protein shakes *during their workout ; )
    Intra-workout nutrition, brah. 
    Posted:
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
    21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
    4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
    50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black

Advertisement
  • moonshinemoonshine 64 @ Augusta? No problem! North Charleston, SCClubWRX  6377WRX Points: 173Handicap: 2.4Posts: 6,377 Titanium Tees
    Socrates said:
    I wonder if he joined Isagenix (or something like that) and is in the first few weeks where you eat nothing and just drink their ****?
    Nah, that tubs from Spain wears the logo....
    Posted:
    "We have learned that we must
    live as men, not as ostriches, nor
    as dogs in the manger." FDR
  • PZeroPZero Members  11632WRX Points: 982Handicap: 3Posts: 11,632 Titanium Tees
    PZero said:
    So he reveled it’s for an Epsn photo shoot, risky move, dumb before master having lost 12 yards off his drives 
    wtf? So strange.
    He may be getting advice that he needs more name recognition to be a more valuable brand.  Yes, what I typed sounds and is a bit silly, but, if you imagine a non-golf PR team saying it, it sounds plausible.  That kind of advice ignores the fact that even the best golfers don't typically have the name recognition of players from the big four sports in the U.S. (and even that is weighted heavily towards football and basketball players).  Even non-sports fan have heard of Tom Brady, but, to paraphrase Roger Maris, "Who the f--k is Brooks Koepka?"

All that said, I seriously doubt the financial juice is worth the squeeze of jeopardizing a shot at a major while in his prime.
    He needs a new PR team then. Who cares about ESPN The Magazine? The problem with Brooks' appeal is he has a bland personality and shows no emotion on the course. When he won the US Open the first time he was about excited as someone getting a colonoscopy. Barely any emotion shown. Tiger's reactions were part of his appeal and why certain highlights are constantly shown. The celebration was as big as the putt/shot.
    Posted:
    R11s 9° Whiteboad 63S
    Titleist 913F 15°
    TM R9 19°
    Titleist 712 AP2 4-GW
    Vokey TVD 56°, SM5 60°
    Studio Select Newport
  • GolfjackGolfjack All about the rotation Members  1489WRX Points: 435Posts: 1,489 Platinum Tees
    Yeah losing weight just made me feel weaker.  I didn't lost 24 lbs, more like 10, but feel weaker and the results were so as well.  Do look better though lol.  I would think he just needs to build up some of the muscle loss again.  Probably just wanted to get his body fat pct down.  I don't see how it matters as much in golf since it's not as important to be in shape, just strong.  There's no benefit to running to the ball to hit it quicker than your opponent.  
    Posted:
    TM M4 Driver 10.5
    TM M4 3 wood 16
    4H (22) Aeroburner TP
    Mizuno MP-15 5 iron, Project X LZ 6.5
    Mizuno MP-5 6-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
    Wedges Mizuno T7 50, 56, 60
    Scotty Phantom X6 STR
  • MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers  2635WRX Points: 1,232Posts: 2,635 Titanium Tees
    For an athlete to lose 11% of their body weight is a big deal.  To do it for a photo shoot seems reckless.  My guess is that the next thing we'll hear is that he has suffered some kind of injury from overtraining.  
    Posted:
  • GolfTurkeyGolfTurkey Members  613WRX Points: 150Posts: 613 Golden Tee
    Seems to happen to the guys who win 3 out of 6 majors. Harrington changed his swing and Koepka changed his body. 
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • SirFuegoSirFuego Members  266WRX Points: 115Posts: 266 Greens
    Since there seems to be nothing that has been confirmed or denied about the body issue, let's ignore that for a second.

With the wrap-around schedule, there is about 1.5-2 months of "off-season" from regular PGA Tour events.  Even then, the big names often play in unofficial events (like the Hero World Challenge) or play some tournaments overseas.  So it's virtually impossible for someone to make significant changes without skipping a bunch of events or temporarily negatively impacting their performance.  Most other sports have the luxury of a long off-season enabling athletes to make significant changes without impacting their season.  On the other hand, the careers of golfers are also much longer, so even if they need to "sacrifice" 6 months of either skipping events or not performing as well, it can potentially be well worth it in the long run.  Given the minimum number of events they need to play, skipping events for months at a time is probably not an option, plus even if they don't play well, it still keeps them in the tournament mindset.

Brooks has said that his weight loss was intentional.  I'm not a medical doctor, but I'm not aware of any reason why someone who is relatively fit would intentionally lose weight unless they wanted to get leaner.  As I mentioned earlier, if someone wants to get leaner and stronger, they would likely need to lose weight first, then gain it back in the form of muscle.  Losing 24 lbs should take on the order of 3-6 months if done properly.  It has supposedly taken 4 months for Brooks to do this, which is well in that range.  I have no idea what his "end goal" is, so let's assume he gets back to where he wants in a few months.  If done correctly, he'll be leaner and stronger than he was last year.

If the body issue is true, perhaps it was just an ancillary benefit or motivation that he needed to try to improve his fitness and ultimately his golf game.  Maybe I'm being overly optimistic that this goes beyond just posing for a magazine, though.
    Posted:
  • ray9898ray9898 Members  870WRX Points: 277Posts: 870 Golden Tee
    nolayup said:

Posted:
  • mmack067mmack067 OttawaMembers  769WRX Points: 202Handicap: +4Posts: 769 Golden Tee
    Somehow I think he'll be just fine. Lots of people go up and down in weight throughout their careers. He has a ton of talent so I don't see him disappearing because he's down a few pounds.
    Posted:
    SIM 9° Diamana D+ LTD 60TX
    Titleist TS2 15* - D+ LTD 70X
    Titleist 910H 17˚ -  Project X 7.0
    Srixon Z785 4i, Miura MC-501 5-PW - X100
    SM7 50F, 54S
    SM8 58M
    Odyssey WHP #7H

Twitter-icon.png  lDLcKyO.png?1  

• dmb3535dmb3535 Members  490WRX Points: 118Posts: 490 Greens
    or espn could have just used photoshop like they do on every other athlete and brooks not lose that much weight. I just realised that we all have wayyy too much time on our hands if we are actually talking about another man losing 20 pounds. 
    Posted:
    DRIVER --Rogue sub zero

FW- Rogue 3 wood
    M2--5hl

IRONS--- jpx 900 forged 5-pw

WEDGES--T7-49-53-56-59

PUTTER-- scotty cameron buttonback
  • daleheaddalehead Members  1856WRX Points: 559Posts: 1,856 Platinum Tees
    Haven't been able to take him seriously since the thong photo hit the net. Now this. Definitely calls his judgement into question. Just another moron who happens to play good golf. Won't mention names to keep things civil.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • Holy MosesHoly Moses Members  11017WRX Points: 806Posts: 11,017 Titanium Tees

Just a guess, but this goes back to Brooks not getting asked to do meet the media after shooting a 69 to open the 2018 PGA Championship and not asked to meet the media before the 2018 Tour Championship. Brooks was clearly unhappy, but he gave incredibly boring and bland answers up until that point and I didn't blame the media for passing on him. Ever since, he's been outspoken, wore a man-thong for a photo, and now is willing to give up yards and strokes gained off the tee to be in an ESPN photo shoot. I thought he was smarter than that.

Posted:
    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 14.5* (DI-7X)
    Ping G400 Crossover 19* (Tensei CK Pro Blue 80 S)
    Ping i20 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
    "wore a man-thong for a photo, and now is willing to give up yards and strokes gained off the tee to be in an ESPN photo shoot."

Would make Ben Hogan puke. As Johnny would say ; )
    Posted:
  • c7015c7015 Members  2281WRX Points: 280Posts: 2,281 Platinum Tees

Just making my Masters picks and Koepka is again under the radar (despite having a chip on his shoulder that he is under the radar)

None the less, I thought we were going to find out in "4 days" what all the weight loss was about?
    No body issue?
    Should he still be considered for the Masters even without the mass he needs to play well?

Posted:
    TS3 Smoke 70g (S Flex)
    913 FD 3 wood Whiteboard (X Flex)
    915 F 5 wood Blueboard (S Flex)
    712U 4 Iron
    714CB 5-6
    718MB 7-PW 
    Vokey SM7 50, 55, 60 
    SC Newport 2.5
  • Bingo1976Bingo1976 Members  2603WRX Points: 302Handicap: 6.8Posts: 2,603 Titanium Tees

On -, @c7015 said:

Just making my Masters picks and Koepka is again under the radar (despite having a chip on his shoulder that he is under the radar)

None the less, I thought we were going to find out in "4 days" what all the weight loss was about?
    No body issue?
    Should he still be considered for the Masters even without the mass he needs to play well?

Maybe he's lost weight so he uses less energy walking up the hills?

Posted:
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Matrix Ozik R[/font]
    [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]HiRev[/font]
    [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/font]
  • 3jacker3jacker Members  1185WRX Points: 837Posts: 1,185 Platinum Tees

Ya'll are acting like this guy is expected to make rational, intelligent decisions.
    The only guy on Tour (any tour) dumber than this guy is the world number 1.

And that high school pic above isn't really honest. He's not that thin and hasn't been in a long time.

Posted:
    Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
    TM V-Steel 4wd Protopype 80X
    Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
    Titleist 818 H2 21*
    Callaway Apex MB 4-PW KBS C-Taper X
    Vokey SM7 52* F
    Vokey SM7 58* D
    Sizemore XB-1

Advertisement
  • mukstermukster A lot can happen in a year. North of the 49thMembers  3699WRX Points: 455Posts: 3,699 Titanium Tees

TMZ Channel endorses this thread

Posted:
    Callaway XR16 driver, 9 degrees, Diamana S+ shaft
    Callaway Epic 3 Wood , Fubuki Z65 shaft
    Mizuno ST180 5 wood,  Tensei CK Blue shaft
    Cobra F8 22* hybrid
    Srixon Z765 5-PW irons
    , KBS Tour V shafts
    Srixon A wedge 51° bent to 50°
    Hogan Equalizer 54* wedge
    Mizuno S18 58* wedge
    Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter
  • new2g0lfnew2g0lf Members  3450WRX Points: 363Posts: 3,450 Titanium Tees

You have to question why Koepka would risk his golf game for a stupid ESPN cover. Losing 24 lbs in that short a time period is mostly water and muscle so he had to know it would impact his game. The cover wasn't going to make him more marketable except to core golf fans so not sure what he and his agents were thinking.

Posted:
    Driver - Home Callaway Epic Flash   Away Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 
    Woods - XXIO 10 3W
    Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
    Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-SW   Away - Callaway Apex CF-19 5-SW
    Wedge - PXG 58* 
    Putter - Seemore Nashville mFGP2 SS Mallet Black
    Ball - KSig, TM TP5X, Snell MTB
  • 3jacker3jacker Members  1185WRX Points: 837Posts: 1,185 Platinum Tees

I don't question it. He's not a bright guy. He doesn't love golf as much as baseball, which is what he really wanted to do. Guy probably has no idea what's going on most of the time, like my dog.

Posted:
    Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
    TM V-Steel 4wd Protopype 80X
    Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
    Titleist 818 H2 21*
    Callaway Apex MB 4-PW KBS C-Taper X
    Vokey SM7 52* F
    Vokey SM7 58* D
    Sizemore XB-1

Advertisement
  • Holy MosesHoly Moses Members  11017WRX Points: 806Posts: 11,017 Titanium Tees

The guys on “Live from the Masters” all said it was for the ESPN Body shoot. Brandel called it the most reckless decision for an athlete in his prime he’s seen. Might be an overreach, but it was a dumb decision! Brooks wants attention, but if your golf game falters, no one will care how good you look naked.

Posted:
    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 14.5* (DI-7X)
    Ping G400 Crossover 19* (Tensei CK Pro Blue 80 S)
    Ping i20 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.