Mizuno FanBoy... P790 Replacement

Marc21GolfMarc21Golf Members Posts: 223 ClubWRX
My girlfriend and I recently moved in together... and she brought up the fact that every sports equipment and all my tennis shoes are Mizuno brand. So i'm thinking to myself... I should get Mizuno Irons! I currently have in the bag P790's. I picked up two Mizuno CLK hybrids (3 and 4) a few weeks ago at the local golf show, got them for a really good price I coudln't say no to. So i'm looking to get rid of my 4-A P790 and get something in the 5-A in Mizuno.

I'm going to get fit for a set of Mizuno's but I don't know which one. With the 919's being out for a little bit now, any thoughts on what compares to the 790's? I recent hit the 919 forged, MMC and the MP18's, I love the look and the feel of them, but honestly i'm not good enough to play them. I'm a 12 hdcp and according to trackman I carry the MMC 6 iron 153 on average. I know it's due to the lofts, so I like the extra "distance" the P790's give me.

What I love the most about the MMC and the MP18's was the smaller head shape and smaller heal to toe length, makes me feel there is less room to miss and I hit a majority of them out of the center, more often that I do with my P790. Bigger club face = more room to miss the middle, is that a thing? lol

So long story short, anyone out there game the P790 and switched to a mizuno iron, or have something to compare? I know most of you will probably say to go try them all and I've tried some, but not all yet. That is coming this week with snow melting and a little warmer weather. For someone like me, is the MMC/Blade out of the question? Can I get them bent to stronger lofts to maybe help with some distance gapping?

Comments

• Pwood28Pwood28 Members Posts: 342 ✭✭
    I recently sold off my 790s after falling in love with my MMC/SC combo set. I didn’t lose anything with my the MMC vs the 790s and gained much more consistency with the short iron SC irons.

If you’re worried about losing a distance, check out the 919 Hot Metal Pros. You get the face tech of the Hot Metal with a more player-like appearance. They’re basically a forgiving iron in a players package, similar to the 790s.
    WITB (short set edition)
    8 club bag (play most of my rounds with this setup):
    TM 1017 M1 440 Driver - 10.5 degree - Kuro Kage XT 75s
    TM M4 Hybrid - 18 degree 
    NCW Large Cavity - 24 degree 
    NCW Small Cavity - 32 & 40 degree 
    NCW MB - 48 degree 
    NCW Wedge - 56 degree 
    Putter (Still way too many to list!)

IG: Filmooregolf
  • IamMarkMacIamMarkMac SF Bay AreaPosts: 582 ✭✭
    919 hot metal pro or hot metal, if distance is really something you’re looking for.
    Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
    Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
    Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
    Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
    Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
    Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaMembers Posts: 2,601 ✭✭
    919 Forged. They are a wonderful balance of playability, power, good looks and forged feel.
    Taylormade M6 driver with MCA Tensei CK Pro White 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood with MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 19° hybrid with MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 22° hybrid with MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC irons 5-PW Irons with Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW with Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-08 and 62-08 with Modus3 115 Wedge
    Taylormade Spider X 
    Taylormade TP5
  • DFDLTDFDLT Posts: 108 ✭✭
    I would say to try the Hot Metal Pro.
  • Maverick17Maverick17 Members Posts: 43 ✭✭
    I was a Taylormade iron fanboy for years. Multiple sets of RAC LT’s and RAC CB’s. That all changed a few months back when I picked up a new, old stock set of MP-57’s. NEVER playing anything else but Mizuno in my irons now. The feel and quality is perfect!

Check out some MP18 MMC’s?
    Taylormade SLDR 460 Tour Issue 9.5* w/Speeder 661 S
    Taylormade Rescue 11' TP 18* w/Aldila RIP 85 S
    Taylormade Rescue 11' TP 21* w/Aldila RIP 85 S
    Mizuno MP 57 3-pw w/ s300
    Cleveland Tour Action 588 TS 54* w/s300
    Cleveland Tour Action 588 TS 58* w/s300
    Taylormade Rossa Daytona Sport 1 35"
  • Just gone from P790 to HMPro, distance virtually the same but the Mizzy is more forgiving. The 919 forged are around half a club shorter than the P790 and like you I just did not want to give up those yards.
    HMPro all day long....
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 917D2 9.5 Diamana red R[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Taylor Made M2 16.5 Diamana green R[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Callaway Epic Heaven Wood [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Diamana green R[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon ZH65 22 degree Miyazaki Kaula 7 R[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon ZU65 5 [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Miyazaki Kaula 7 R[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon Z565 6-W Nippon NS Pro 950GH R[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno S18 50/55/60[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Bettinardi Studio Stock 3 [/font]
  • Golf64Golf64 Go Habs Go! Ontario, CanadaMembers Posts: 7,702 ✭✭
    Another vote for HM Pros! Look and feel awesome!  ;)
    Bag under construction

Super Bowl LII Champions
    Fly Eagles Fly
  • dalillama47dalillama47 Members Posts: 1,196 ✭✭
    If you want the newest, check out the HM Pro's.  If a year or so older try the Fli-Hi 4, 5 and 6 and the MMC in the 7-pw.  Similar handicap as you and that's what I played and loved all of last year.  
    Srixon Z785
    Srixon F85 3 & 5
    Srixon H85 #4 22*
    Srixon Z585 5 iron, Z785 6-pw
    Cleveland RTX 4, 50,54, & 58
    Cleveland Soft 11C
    Srixon 2019 Z Star

• TheShaunTheShaun Members Posts: 1,084 ✭✭
    i'm also a fanboy. Running shoes, baseball glove, nearly every club in the bag.
  • RodCRodC Posts: 355 ✭✭
    edited Mar 21, 2019 3:51am #11
    Funny how we all react differently. 
    I can hit my MP18SC MUCH MUCH better than my P790. 

Anyhow, MP18 MMC are considered to be more forgiving than SC. On the JPX line the HMs 
    Ping G400 Alta CB, X Shaft
    TM M2 3 Wood
    TM SLDR 4 & 5 Hybrid
    5-PW Mizuno MP-18SC - Steelfiber i95 (since Nov 17) - on the bag
    5-PW TM P-790 Modus 3 105 Stiff (since March 18) - on the bench
    Cleveland RX2 50/08
    CBX 54º Wedge, CBX 58º Wedge.

carbon-putters-revolver.png Carbon Ringo Putter
  • brianmontgomery2000brianmontgomery2000 Members Posts: 759 ✭✭
    Just got fit into JPX 919 Forged.  I've tried a lot of clubs in demo over the last couple of years, including some good sessions with 790.  760 was on my short list.  But Mizuno won the day, and felt good, too.  MP 18 MMC were also good, but i have a toe miss, so that little bit longer blade and weight out on the toe with JPX 919 could make a difference on that particular miss.
  • Marc21GolfMarc21Golf Members Posts: 223 ClubWRX
    Thanks for all the responses!
    Update:  I went and hit more mizuno irons.  I REALLY like the MMC/SC combo, in terms of size of the head and the look of it at address.  Again, to me:  smaller head means less room to miss and I during my session, i hit more out of the middle with these than I did my P790 and the HM PRO.  
    I REALLY like the performance with the HM PRO, in terms of yards and it fit the gap with my hybrids better than the MMC/SC combo. 
    I'm guessing the consistency on course would be better w/ an MMC/SC Combo.  I'm still torn between which irons to get... more hitting sessions to come in the near future!
  • IamMarkMacIamMarkMac SF Bay AreaPosts: 582 ✭✭
    Thanks for all the responses!
    Update:  I went and hit more mizuno irons.  I REALLY like the MMC/SC combo, in terms of size of the head and the look of it at address.  Again, to me:  smaller head means less room to miss and I during my session, i hit more out of the middle with these than I did my P790 and the HM PRO.  
    I REALLY like the performance with the HM PRO, in terms of yards and it fit the gap with my hybrids better than the MMC/SC combo. 
    I'm guessing the consistency on course would be better w/ an MMC/SC Combo.  I'm still torn between which irons to get... more hitting sessions to come in the near future!
    You may want then to consider yardages at the course/s you normally play.  If you're comfortable with the distance the MMC/SC combo gives you wherever you play, should be an easy call.
    Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
    Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
    Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
    Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
    Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
    Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Update again.
    Went back and hit all the clubs again. Is there a club in the MP line or any other line offered that is comparable to the 919 Forged that I could try? That would offer me the same forgiveness?
    I'm rulling out the MP18 and the 919 Tours, although I love the head size/shape, i definitely want/need some help for off centered strikes. Im afraid i'll regret my purchase because they aren't forgiving at all lol.
    Still on the list unless theres more out there you reccomend to try
    JPX 919 Tour
    JPX 919 Forged
    JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro
    JPX MP18
    JPX MP18 MMC / SC Combo?

• jcorna01jcorna01 Members Posts: 588 ✭✭
    edited Mar 25, 2019 1:13pm #16

@Marc21Golf said:
    Update again.
    Went back and hit all the clubs again. Is there a club in the MP line or any other line offered that is comparable to the 919 Forged that I could try? That would offer me the same forgiveness?
    I'm rulling out the MP18 and the 919 Tours, although I love the head size/shape, i definitely want/need some help for off centered strikes. Im afraid i'll regret my purchase because they aren't forgiving at all lol.
    JPX 919 Tour
    JPX 919 Forged
    JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro
    JPX MP18
    JPX MP18 MMC / SC Combo?

I think MMC would be the closest to the forged from Mizuno. I'm a similar HC to you and i'm going to hit the Hot Metal Pro's and 919 forged during my fitting on Friday. Only serious non-Mizuno contender is Srixon at this point but i'm also intrigued by the G410's,

Post edited by jcorna01 on
  • LaymanMLaymanM Cincinnati, OHMembers Posts: 2,049 ✭✭

@Marc21Golf said:
    Update again.
    JPX 919 Tour
    JPX 919 Forged
    JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro
    JPX MP18
    JPX MP18 MMC / SC Combo?

Gonna have to go back a generation to MP-25. MP-5/MP-25 imo were much better than current mp-18 line. Understand your a fanboy but if you want to find a special iron the Srixon z785.

PING G400 Max 9*, Adidla Rogue Max 75x
    Callaway 815 Alpha 3W and 5W Speeder 665 stiff
    Srixon U65 4, Modus 105s
    Srixon Z785 5-PW Modus 120s
    Edel DVR 50, s200
    SM7 54F / 58K
    SC Studio Style Newport 2

@jcorna01 said:

@Marc21Golf said:
    Update again.
    JPX 919 Tour
    JPX 919 Forged
    JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro
    JPX MP18
    JPX MP18 MMC / SC Combo?

I think MMC would be the closest to the forged from Mizuno. I'm a similar HC to you and i'm going to hit the Hot Metal Pro's and 919 forged during my fitting on Friday. Only serious non-Mizuno contender is Srixon at this point but i'm also intrigued by the G410's,

Tigers fan eh? Where are you doing your fitting? I'm also in Michigan. Let me know how your fitting goes and if you recommend their services!

@Marc21Golf said:

@jcorna01 said:

@Marc21Golf said:
    Update again.
    JPX 919 Tour
    JPX 919 Forged
    JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro
    JPX MP18
    JPX MP18 MMC / SC Combo?

Tigers fan eh? Where are you doing your fitting? I'm also in Michigan. Let me know how your fitting goes and if you recommend their services!

Yes...tough times for Tiger fans. I'm going to Miles of Golf in Ann Arbor/Ypsi.

@LaymanM said:

@Marc21Golf said:
    Update again.
    JPX 919 Tour
    JPX 919 Forged
    JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro
    JPX MP18
    JPX MP18 MMC / SC Combo?

Gonna have to go back a generation to MP-25. MP-5/MP-25 imo were much better than current mp-18 line. Understand your a fanboy but if you want to find a special iron the Srixon z785.

I'm not familiar with the mp-5/mp-25. Are their MMC > @jcorna01 said:

@Marc21Golf said:

@jcorna01 said:

@Marc21Golf said:
    Update again.
    JPX 919 Tour
    JPX 919 Forged
    JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro
    JPX MP18
    JPX MP18 MMC / SC Combo?

I live in ypsi, but prefer carl's in plymouth usually. Let me know how your fitting goes when you're finished. i'm going to schedule a fitting soon after I hit the clubs a few more times!

• doctorjedidoctorjedi Bringing Sexy Back! Members Posts: 1,042 ✭✭

What shaft are you using in your p-790s?

2018 M4 9.5 Accra Concept M3 tipped 1 inch
    FW: Callaway XR 16 4 wood speeder stiff
    FW: Callaway Epic heavenwood stock hzrdus 5.5
    Irons: 4i U45 Nippon stiff 5-PW P770 KBS TOUR FLT 110
    Wed: SM5 50.12F SM5 56.14F SM 7 60.12D
    PT: 2014 Scotty Newport 1/500 custom
  • BlackM00NlightBlackM00Nlight IowaMembers Posts: 3,534 ✭✭

The MMC’s are sneaky good. Comparable to the Forged.

Mizuno ST-190G Tensei White 70X
    Mizuno ST-190TS 15* Tensei White 70X
    Nike Vapor Pro Combo 2-A wedge AMT X100 (plus 1/2" 3 up)
    Nike Engage Dual Sole 58 DG S400 (plus 1/2" 3 up)
    Nike Origin B1-01
    Nike RZN Tour Platinum

• gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,150 ✭✭

Here is a recommendation that is a blast from the past.
    The MP H5 irons are a hollow body iron, like your P790's. They would be more forgiving, and easier to hit higher than most of the Mizuno irons that you are considering. You mentioned that you MMC 6-iron distance is 153 - sort of like what I hit in my old AP1 6-iron. At our club head speed and handicap, I would recommend playing a semi-distance iron that is also forgiving.
    Find an old set of MP H5's and re-shaft to your shaft of choice.
    A few years ago, the great Jack Nicklaus was playing them in his longer irons along with Miura's in his short irons.

On Sundays, I used to play hickory
  • Broessner71Broessner71 Members Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hot metal pro or mmc

@doctorjedi said:
    What shaft are you using in your p-790s?

C-Taper Lite X
    They told me it's supposed to play like a Stiff?

• nuttinbutapeanutnuttinbutapeanut Members Posts: 75 ClubWRX

I love the look of Mizunos and being a club ho I'm always looking at irons. That being said, every time I play my P790's I remind myself these aren't going anywhere......

• mowakebummowakebum Mowakebum Members Posts: 52 ClubWRX

I just made this change. I went from the 790’s and wanted to get some Mizuno Irons. I hit all the MP-18 line. Went from a C-Taper 120 shaft to a nippon 950t shaft with the MP-18 SC head. It just felt effortless. The yardages were about 3 yds difference and the small head helped. I’ve got a smoother swing and pretty consistent. They should be in this week can’t wait to get them on the course.

@jcorna01 said:

@Marc21Golf said:

@jcorna01 said:

@Marc21Golf said:
    Update again.
    JPX 919 Tour
    JPX 919 Forged
    JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro
    JPX MP18
    JPX MP18 MMC / SC Combo?

Are you doing a Basixx or Maxx fitting? Just curious

• balls_deepballs_deep Members Posts: 460 ✭✭

I personally think the Tour is as forgiving as the SC fwiw

Titleist 915D2 10.5 w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60S
    Titleist 917F2 16.5 w/ Aldila Rogue Black 70S
    Titleist 816H1 20* and 24* w/ Accra FX200H M4
    Titleist AP2 718 4-PW w/ DG AMT Tour White S300
    Vokey SM7 50F.8, 54S.10, 58D.12 S200
    Bettinardi Kuchar Model 1 Armlock 42" & Odyssey O Works 7 35"
    Pro V1x

@Marc21Golf said:

@jcorna01 said:

@Marc21Golf said:

@jcorna01 said:

@Marc21Golf said:
    Update again.
    JPX 919 Tour
    JPX 919 Forged
    JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro
    JPX MP18
    JPX MP18 MMC / SC Combo?

I'm doing the Maxx.

@jcorna01 said:

@Marc21Golf said:

@jcorna01 said:

@Marc21Golf said:

@jcorna01 said:

@Marc21Golf said:
    Update again.
    JPX 919 Tour
    JPX 919 Forged
    JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro
    JPX MP18
    JPX MP18 MMC / SC Combo?

I'm doing the Maxx.

Thanks, really interested to here what you have to say for that. I'm going to base my fitting off of what you tell me lol. Either Maxx at the Cluboratory or Carl's Golfland