Mizuno FanBoy... P790 Replacement

2»
2

Comments

  • jcorna01jcorna01 Members  681WRX Points: 102Posts: 681 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #32

    On -, @Marc21Golf said:

    On -, @jcorna01 said:

    On -, @Marc21Golf said:

    On -, @jcorna01 said:

    On -, @Marc21Golf said:

    On -, @jcorna01 said:

    On -, @Marc21Golf said:

    Update again.
    Went back and hit all the clubs again. Is there a club in the MP line or any other line offered that is comparable to the 919 Forged that I could try? That would offer me the same forgiveness?
    I'm rulling out the MP18 and the 919 Tours, although I love the head size/shape, i definitely want/need some help for off centered strikes. Im afraid i'll regret my purchase because they aren't forgiving at all lol.
    Still on the list unless theres more out there you reccomend to try
    JPX 919 Tour
    JPX 919 Forged
    JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro
    JPX MP18
    JPX MP18 MMC / SC Combo?

    I think MMC would be the closest to the forged from Mizuno. I'm a similar HC to you and i'm going to hit the Hot Metal Pro's and 919 forged during my fitting on Friday. Only serious non-Mizuno contender is Srixon at this point but i'm also intrigued by the G410's,

    Tigers fan eh? Where are you doing your fitting? I'm also in Michigan. Let me know how your fitting goes and if you recommend their services!

    Yes...tough times for Tiger fans. I'm going to Miles of Golf in Ann Arbor/Ypsi.

    Are you doing a Basixx or Maxx fitting? Just curious

    I'm doing the Maxx.

    Thanks, really interested to here what you have to say for that. I'm going to base my fitting off of what you tell me lol. Either Maxx at the Cluboratory or Carl's Golfland

    I’m doing my driver fitting at Carl’s next Friday (have some gift cards there) so will be interested to compare the two places.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Marc21GolfMarc21Golf Members  236WRX Points: 62Handicap: 12Posts: 236 Fairways
    Joined:  #33

    Can't wait to hear what you have to say, I've done a fitting at Carl's before. But I did not care for my fitter, i will not say any names. He must of had a bad day that day, he was really short and not very informational.

    Posted:
  • Albatross71Albatross71 Members  119WRX Points: 75Posts: 119 Fairways
    Joined:  #34

    Gotta say I have done my Mizuno fittings at Miles of Golf and Shawn does a pretty darn good job.

    Posted:
    Driver-Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Project X Evenflow White 65 X-Stiff
    3W-Titleist TS3 16.5 w/Project X Evenflow white 65 X-Stiff
    Mizuno MMC Fli-Hi 3 iron w/KBS C-Taper 130X (bent to 17.5*)
    4-PW Mizuno MP-18 MBw/KBS C-Taper 130X
    Mizuno T7 52/09 w/KBS C-Taper 130X soft stepped
    Mizuno T7 56/10 w/KBS C-Taper 130X soft stepped
    Titleist AVX
  • Marc21GolfMarc21Golf Members  236WRX Points: 62Handicap: 12Posts: 236 Fairways
    Joined:  #35

    On -, @Albatross71 said:

    Gotta say I have done my Mizuno fittings at Miles of Golf and Shawn does a pretty darn good job.

    looking at your WITB, you are a far better player than myself. I think i'll set up an appointment with them. I just want to hear what

    On -, @jcorna01 has to say about his experience. I'm a fanboy yes, but my options are open to see what works best for me! Any tips going in for a fitting at MoG for the first time?
    Posted:
  • sambodoorssambodoors Members  98WRX Points: 46Posts: 98 Fairways
    Joined:  #36

    I have the 919HM's but wish I had gone with the 919F! Still though, I love the 919HM's and will be keeping them for a long time.

    Posted:
    Ping G400 Max 10.5º | Tour AD DJ-6s
    Cobra F8 3-4 FWY | Adila NV 2KXV Blue 70
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 3i | Tour AD-95s 
    Srixon z785 4-GW | Modus3 120s
    Scratch 8620 52º, 56º, 60º | DG S300
    Artisan 0318
  • Albatross71Albatross71 Members  119WRX Points: 75Posts: 119 Fairways
    Joined:  #37

    On -, @Marc21Golf said:

    On -, @Albatross71 said:

    Gotta say I have done my Mizuno fittings at Miles of Golf and Shawn does a pretty darn good job.

    looking at your WITB, you are a far better player than myself. I think i'll set up an appointment with them. I just want to hear what

    On -, @jcorna01 has to say about his experience. I'm a fanboy yes, but my options are open to see what works best for me! Any tips going in for a fitting at MoG for the first time?

    Totally understand, I prefer the traditional look of a club when I am addressing the ball. I go in with a very open mind set and want to know what would work the best for me. Shawn has always asked if I am open to anything else and of course I am, I even tell him if he sees me doing anything "out of the ordinary" fell free to let me know and he has. I never think I am a better player than someone else, I do know that I became a better player once I became fitted. I guess if I was to compare both fitting locations I see the difference when I hear people in the store who have driven from Grand Rapids, Toledo, and other places that are "a drive away" coming to MOG. I also look at the two as one being a big box and sometimes trying to "push you" towards a certain brand and the other being a mom and pop shop. Chris Miles is there on a regular basis it seems as well, when the owner asks me if I need help with anything that means a lot. All in all it just my .02 and wouldn't go anywhere else.

    Posted:
    Driver-Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Project X Evenflow White 65 X-Stiff
    3W-Titleist TS3 16.5 w/Project X Evenflow white 65 X-Stiff
    Mizuno MMC Fli-Hi 3 iron w/KBS C-Taper 130X (bent to 17.5*)
    4-PW Mizuno MP-18 MBw/KBS C-Taper 130X
    Mizuno T7 52/09 w/KBS C-Taper 130X soft stepped
    Mizuno T7 56/10 w/KBS C-Taper 130X soft stepped
    Titleist AVX
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • jcorna01jcorna01 Members  681WRX Points: 102Posts: 681 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #38

    On -, @Marc21Golf said:

    On -, @Albatross71 said:

    Gotta say I have done my Mizuno fittings at Miles of Golf and Shawn does a pretty darn good job.

    looking at your WITB, you are a far better player than myself. I think i'll set up an appointment with them. I just want to hear what

    On -, @jcorna01 has to say about his experience. I'm a fanboy yes, but my options are open to see what works best for me! Any tips going in for a fitting at MoG for the first time?

    Good experience at Miles of Golf. Decision came down to an iron I had been anticipating and one that came out of left field. Neither of them were Mizuno, unfortunately. I would have pegged it an 80% chance I walked out with 919 forged or hot Metal pros. The fitter had me hit my ”final 4” I had going in then put 2 or 3 other clubs in my hand to try and one almost got picked. So definitely be open to suggestions.

    Definitely educational as well as the last time I’d been fit was pre-launch monitor. Happy to answer any specific questions you have. I have my driver fitting at Carl’s Friday, but I’d be perfectly comfortable going to Miles for that as well if I didn’t have the gift cards at Carl’s.

    Posted:
  • 1puttTUT1puttTUT Lefty with occasional game Members  3579WRX Points: 249Handicap: 3.8Posts: 3,579 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #39

    On -, @Marc21Golf said:

    On -, @LaymanM said:

    On -, @Marc21Golf said:

    Update again.
    Went back and hit all the clubs again. Is there a club in the MP line or any other line offered that is comparable to the 919 Forged that I could try? That would offer me the same forgiveness?
    I'm rulling out the MP18 and the 919 Tours, although I love the head size/shape, i definitely want/need some help for off centered strikes. Im afraid i'll regret my purchase because they aren't forgiving at all lol.
    Still on the list unless theres more out there you reccomend to try
    JPX 919 Tour
    JPX 919 Forged
    JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro
    JPX MP18
    JPX MP18 MMC / SC Combo?

    Gonna have to go back a generation to MP-25. MP-5/MP-25 imo were much better than current mp-18 line. Understand your a fanboy but if you want to find a special iron the Srixon z785.

    I'm not familiar with the mp-5/mp-25. Are their MMC >

    On -, @jcorna01 said:

    On -, @Marc21Golf said:

    On -, @jcorna01 said:

    On -, @Marc21Golf said:

    Update again.
    Went back and hit all the clubs again. Is there a club in the MP line or any other line offered that is comparable to the 919 Forged that I could try? That would offer me the same forgiveness?
    I'm rulling out the MP18 and the 919 Tours, although I love the head size/shape, i definitely want/need some help for off centered strikes. Im afraid i'll regret my purchase because they aren't forgiving at all lol.
    Still on the list unless theres more out there you reccomend to try
    JPX 919 Tour
    JPX 919 Forged
    JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro
    JPX MP18
    JPX MP18 MMC / SC Combo?

    I think MMC would be the closest to the forged from Mizuno. I'm a similar HC to you and i'm going to hit the Hot Metal Pro's and 919 forged during my fitting on Friday. Only serious non-Mizuno contender is Srixon at this point but i'm also intrigued by the G410's,

    Tigers fan eh? Where are you doing your fitting? I'm also in Michigan. Let me know how your fitting goes and if you recommend their services!

    Yes...tough times for Tiger fans. I'm going to Miles of Golf in Ann Arbor/Ypsi.

    I live in ypsi, but prefer carl's in plymouth usually. Let me know how your fitting goes when you're finished. i'm going to schedule a fitting soon after I hit the clubs a few more times!

    I just did my iron fitting at MOG in ypsi a couple weeks ago. 919 forged easily won the day. Can't wait for weather to turn so i can hit them out on the course!

    Posted:
    Cobra F8 10.5D w/ Hazardous Yellow
    Cobra F8 16* w/ Aldila Blue 2KXVs
    Titleist 915H 18* w/Aldila Rogue 95MSI
    Titleist 913H 21* w/Diamana 92Hy
    Titleist 915H 24* w/Diamana 92Hy
    Mizuno 919F 66-GW w/Nippon Modus3 105s
    Titleist Vokey SM6 54*/58* w/ Nippon Modus3 125s
    TP Mills Trad II roundneck
  • evoviiiyouevoviiiyou evoviiiyou Members  2013WRX Points: 163Posts: 2,013 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #40

    On -, @Marc21Golf said:

    My girlfriend and I recently moved in together... and she brought up the fact that every sports equipment and all my tennis shoes are Mizuno brand. So i'm thinking to myself... I should get Mizuno Irons! I currently have in the bag P790's. I picked up two Mizuno CLK hybrids (3 and 4) a few weeks ago at the local golf show, got them for a really good price I coudln't say no to. So i'm looking to get rid of my 4-A P790 and get something in the 5-A in Mizuno.

    I'm going to get fit for a set of Mizuno's but I don't know which one. With the 919's being out for a little bit now, any thoughts on what compares to the 790's? I recent hit the 919 forged, MMC and the MP18's, I love the look and the feel of them, but honestly i'm not good enough to play them. I'm a 12 hdcp and according to trackman I carry the MMC 6 iron 153 on average. I know it's due to the lofts, so I like the extra "distance" the P790's give me.

    What I love the most about the MMC and the MP18's was the smaller head shape and smaller heal to toe length, makes me feel there is less room to miss and I hit a majority of them out of the center, more often that I do with my P790. Bigger club face = more room to miss the middle, is that a thing? lol

    So long story short, anyone out there game the P790 and switched to a mizuno iron, or have something to compare? I know most of you will probably say to go try them all and I've tried some, but not all yet. That is coming this week with snow melting and a little warmer weather. For someone like me, is the MMC/Blade out of the question? Can I get them bent to stronger lofts to maybe help with some distance gapping?

    I am also a 12 trending to 10, and shot 79 (MPB) this past week on a golf trip. I went from JPX900F's to P790's with Modus 130S, to JPX919F/T with Nippon SPO S and couldn't have been an easier transition from a distance standpoint, but gained what seems more consistancy from 8-9-PW-GW. My recommendation would be hit the HMPro's and the 919F and you shouldn't lose any distance and may even gain a little from the HMPro. Goodluck OP

    Posted:

    Mizuno ST190 10.5/ Fuji Speeder TR 661S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno CLK 16/ Nippon Modus Tour 130S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno JPX FliHi 19/ Modus Tour 130S/ PURE Wrap WHT
    Mizuno JPX919F 4-9iron Nippon SPO S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno JPX919T PW Nippon SPO S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno S18 Wedge 51/08/ PXLZ 5.5/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno S18 Wedge 56/06/ PXLZ 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT
    SeeMore M1B/ Satin Black Conti Golf/ Super Stroke Slim CC

  • Marc21GolfMarc21Golf Members  236WRX Points: 62Handicap: 12Posts: 236 Fairways
    Joined:  #41

    On -, @jcorna01 said:

    On -, @Marc21Golf said:

    On -, @Albatross71 said:

    Gotta say I have done my Mizuno fittings at Miles of Golf and Shawn does a pretty darn good job.

    looking at your WITB, you are a far better player than myself. I think i'll set up an appointment with them. I just want to hear what

    On -, @jcorna01 has to say about his experience. I'm a fanboy yes, but my options are open to see what works best for me! Any tips going in for a fitting at MoG for the first time?

    Good experience at Miles of Golf. Decision came down to an iron I had been anticipating and one that came out of left field. Neither of them were Mizuno, unfortunately. I would have pegged it an 80% chance I walked out with 919 forged or hot Metal pros. The fitter had me hit my ”final 4” I had going in then put 2 or 3 other clubs in my hand to try and one almost got picked. So definitely be open to suggestions.

    Definitely educational as well as the last time I’d been fit was pre-launch monitor. Happy to answer any specific questions you have. I have my driver fitting at Carl’s Friday, but I’d be perfectly comfortable going to Miles for that as well if I didn’t have the gift cards at Carl’s.

    How did your fitting at Carl's go? Would you recommend one sitting experience over the other? Btw... were the irons that came out of left field happen to be Srixon 785??? lol

    Posted:
  • jcorna01jcorna01 Members  681WRX Points: 102Posts: 681 Golden Tee
    Joined:  edited Apr 10, 2019 #42

    On -, @Marc21Golf said:

    On -, @jcorna01 said:

    On -, @Marc21Golf said:

    On -, @Albatross71 said:

    Gotta say I have done my Mizuno fittings at Miles of Golf and Shawn does a pretty darn good job.

    looking at your WITB, you are a far better player than myself. I think i'll set up an appointment with them. I just want to hear what

    On -, @jcorna01 has to say about his experience. I'm a fanboy yes, but my options are open to see what works best for me! Any tips going in for a fitting at MoG for the first time?

    Good experience at Miles of Golf. Decision came down to an iron I had been anticipating and one that came out of left field. Neither of them were Mizuno, unfortunately. I would have pegged it an 80% chance I walked out with 919 forged or hot Metal pros. The fitter had me hit my ”final 4” I had going in then put 2 or 3 other clubs in my hand to try and one almost got picked. So definitely be open to suggestions.

    Definitely educational as well as the last time I’d been fit was pre-launch monitor. Happy to answer any specific questions you have. I have my driver fitting at Carl’s Friday, but I’d be perfectly comfortable going to Miles for that as well if I didn’t have the gift cards at Carl’s.

    How did your fitting at Carl's go? Would you recommend one sitting experience over the other? Btw... were the irons that came out of left field happen to be Srixon 785??? lol

    Actually I had to cancel my driver fitting because my wife got the flu. It was just a mess of a week and couldn't get out there.

    The left field irons were actually the PING i210's. I went with the Srixon z585's. We're having another baby this fall so went with the more forgiving club with an eye on next year and drastically reduced practice time. I do have my eyes open for a good deal on i210's though as a good WRXer would.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • golfjamgolfjam Members  598WRX Points: 99Handicap: 2.8Posts: 598 Golden Tee
    Joined:  edited Apr 10, 2019 #43

    Played a couple of rounds with P790 and didn't like it. Feel was weird and distance was meh. Got a set of HM Pro to try and loved it. It's longer, ridiculous forgiving and cheaper than most offerings. Sold my MP-18 after one week and didn't look back. My only grudge is you can see some of the back of 4 iron during set up. Not a big deal, I would still buy a 3 iron if they offered,

    Posted:

    Titleist TS3 9.5 Fuji Evo II 661X

    Callaway XR16 15 Fuji TS 7.2S

    TM 790 UDI 2 C Fuji Pro 83X

    Mizuno MP-5 4-PW C Taper Lite X

    TM MG2 50/54/60 TI S400

    Whitlam Anser Style

  • HappyGilmore22HappyGilmore22 Members  664WRX Points: 206Handicap: 3Posts: 664 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #44

    I would just keep your p790's. You have the best set of irons it seems for your handicap and distance with a 6 iron.

    Posted:
    TaylorMade SIM 9 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black w/Velocore 7X
    Titleist TS3 15 deg - Project X Even Flow T1100 White 85 6.5
    Titleist 816 H2 19 deg - Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 90x
    Titleist T200 4-5, T100 6-PW - Project X 6.5
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Jet Black - 50.12 F, 54.10 S, 58.12 D - TT DG S400
    Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2
2

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.