We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.

What has golf given back to you?

SixtySomePing ·  
SixtySomePingSixtySomePing  5285WRX Points: 2,527Members Posts: 5,285
If you've been playing golf any length of time at all, then you've probably made some monetary investment as well as a good amount of your time. Have you received satisfaction back from golf in some form or another, for what you've invested so far? I totally understand paying it forward, and helping others with the game, which is terrific to do, any time you can. However, what has golf given back to you?
Posted:

Comments

• jimb6golfjimb6golf  1672WRX Points: 171Members Posts: 1,672
    Depending on how I play it can be very peaceful, with great comradery and a great walk. It can also be a stress release especially when hitting balls on the range. Better stress release when hitting the ball well though.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • BicknellCCBicknellCC  1452WRX Points: 1,077Members Posts: 1,452
    jimb6golf said:
    Depending on how I play it can be very peaceful, with great comradery and a great walk. It can also be a stress release especially when hitting balls on the range. Better stress release when hitting the ball well though.
    I can agree with this, and add it also fills a need I seem to have to compete. I'm not fast or quick enough these days to play the sports I did when I was younger. 
    Posted:
  • tgoodspe1991tgoodspe1991 New England 925WRX Points: 286Members Posts: 925
    I have been playing golf since I was 3-years-old. At different times in my life, golf has spanned a spectrum of daycare to therapy and everything in between. As cheesy as it sounds, I have given much of my life to golf and as a result it has defined much of my life. I am very much who I am today because of this game.

Oh, and occasional back pain, that too. 
    Posted:
    “Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same
    time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
    - Arnold Palmer
  • scomac2002scomac2002 Inside the Starters' Hut  5900WRX Points: 3,228Members Posts: 5,900
    Golf has given me some pretty cool friends.....some of them right here at WRX!
    Ain't that the truth!  I always figured that the greatest gift this game gives is the relationships that are created from being a participant.
    Posted:
    Your problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent!

TM RBZ Black 12°
    Cobra Baffler Rail F 15.5°/20°
    TM '09 Rescue 25° 
    TM Burner Plus 6-AW
    TM Z Spin 56° SW
    Adams Tom Watson 60° LW
    Cleveland Smart Sole CW
    Rossa Tourismo 3 counter-balanced
  • gioguy21gioguy21 NJ 8086WRX Points: 1,337Members Posts: 8,086
    memories, time with my grandfather and my dad, trips, up and downs emotionally, hit to the wallet (would gladly pay again), and a better outlook in my daily life. 
    Posted:

Epic Flash SZ / 9* (set D/S) / Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 6X tipped 1.50"
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set -1/N) / HZRDUS Smoke Black 75g 6.5 tipped 2"
    Epic CF17 3i / Tensei PW Hybrid 100TX
    Apex MB Chrome / 3-PW / Modus 130 X
    MD4 Chrome / 52, 56, 60 / DG 115 S200 (for now)
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

Advertisement
  • NJpatbeeNJpatbee Ocean County, NJ 1573WRX Points: 171Members Posts: 1,573

Relaxation, focus, challenge, sense of accomplishment, and great times with my friends and family (And I am 16 HCP!).

Posted:
  • dropkickeddropkicked Toronto 493WRX Points: 422Members Posts: 493

Golf has given me the greatest gift any person would want.. Time.
    Time spent with my friends and family.. Most importantly it allowed me to spend time with the man who introduced me to the game, my father. I hope to pass on this tradition with my children.

Posted:
  • Carl Spackler3Carl Spackler3  1137WRX Points: 318Members Posts: 1,137

The best days of my relationship with my father, it has replaced the competition of my youth from other sports, the people I have met all over the world playing

Posted:
    Titleist 915 D2
    Ping G 3 W
    Ping G 5W
    Ping G25 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
    Vokey 52-08 sm4
    Vokey 56-14 sm6
    Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)
  • JonnyKrasnodarJonnyKrasnodar  1874WRX Points: 164Members Posts: 1,874

Satisfaction is the main thing for me. Taking it up in my late 20s, I was shooting sky high first couple of years. Then it clicked through lessons and hard work. Halved my HCP in the last 18 months, won a handful of tournaments and after more work over the winter I'm now keeping up with the big boys and confident I can go lower. Proved to myself I can do it. So that's the main thing. No one likes to suck at anything but it didn't come naturally and I thought about chucking it a few times. So that's given me satisfaction, a reasonable amount of money back from wins/betting and a whole new set of friends, social excursions and memories to last a lifetime.

Golf isn't half bad.

Posted:
  • CaddiesFaultCaddiesFault Golf Professional  855WRX Points: 134Members Posts: 855

A career

Posted:
    Callaway

Advertisement
  • IamMarkMacIamMarkMac SF Bay Area 743WRX Points: 248Members Posts: 743

Golf has given me time with my dad and time without my wife.

Posted:
    Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
    Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
    Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
    Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
    Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
    Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2
  • MattM97MattM97  694WRX Points: 303Members Posts: 694

I golfed when I was younger but stopped for 2 reasons. A serious injury I dealt with and focus on another sport which I was quite successful in. 2 years ago I stopped competing in that sport for various reasons, I had a large void with no sport in my life and kinda fell into a depression. My friends got me back into golf after asking me to play in a charity tournament last year since then I caught the bug.

Golf filled the void for me in the need for a sport. Although it's a stark contrast in my old sport and will take a while for me to adapt I enjoy the challenge and growth that I'll see over the next few years. Will see if I can get down to scratch if not keep in single digits handicap.

On top of filling in a void I just enjoy being out there, the peace and quiet at times, the challenge. I wish I didn't stop playing years ago but I won't stop now for a while.

Posted:
    WITB - Lefty
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus - 9° Draw - Tour 65S
    Fariway: Cobra F7 - 15.5° Draw - Tensei Blue 65S
    Hybrid: Ping G410 - 19° - Alta CB 70R
    Irons: Srixon Z585 - 4i to 7i - Z785 - 8i to PW - AMT Tour White S300
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 51° - Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56° - Ping Glide 60°
    Putter Rotation: Edel E-3 - Miura KM-006LH - Toulon Sand Diego - and many more.
    Balls: TaylorMade TP5X
    Bag: Ping Pioneer
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to Canada 13063WRX Points: 1,995Members Posts: 13,063

Stress relief time, buddy time, outdoor time, mental battle with yourself and the elements

Negatives ,,, back, hands, elbows

Posted:

Ping G400 LST 11* Oban Revenge 65 06
    Callaway Xhot 3 Deep 14.5* Fubuki 73x
    Callaway GBB 5w 17* Aldila NVS 85x 
    Callaway Apex v1 3h 20* AD DI 95x
    Cally Apex v1 5h 26* Apache MFS 85x
    Mizuno 919T 6-G UST Recoil 95 f4 
    Vokey sm2 54*m & 59*m TVD 
    Callaway PM 64* UST 110 f4
    Yes Donna

'19 Index 0.9 ~ 3.7
  • FlyingLaw1FlyingLaw1 MO 880WRX Points: 143Members Posts: 880

Golf has given me so much. It's led to jobs. It helps me network... I go to a conference every year that used to have a golf outing associated with it... People I haven't seen in several years still remember me because of the golf outings (I've own every one of them I participated in). It gives me something to always work toward. Gets me outside. Many of my closest friends I met because of golf. I met my closest mentor through golf.

I could go on and on. Simply put... golf is a huge part of my life and I love it!

Posted:
    GO DAWGS
  • LeftDaddyLeftDaddy  826WRX Points: 234Members Posts: 826

I’ve been thinking about this topic lately 😀

I’d say it has given me time with friends, “me” time, time outdoors, a pursuit of excellence in something that I had no skill in when I started, a recreational outlet, and finally in the few instances where I’ve succeeded in accomplishing a goal...the satisfaction of doing something that is really hard well.

The more cynical version of this answer, but also somewhat realistic, is that it has given me a place to spend a lot of discretionary money (I mean I do start to wonder what else am I going to do with it at times), a place to steal my time away from work, and a ton of frustration. I just realized yesterday that golf is the only pursuit that causes me to take the Lord’s name in vain with quite a bit of regularity. 😅

I try to focus more on the positive first paragraph, but the second one can be true at times too.

I’ll close with another similar example in my life: college football. I graduated from a D1 school that has had some success in football, but is by no means a regular national power. So with that comes more wins than losses, but plenty of both. For a while I somewhat lived and died by these wins and losses, but as I aged started to realize that about the only real stressor I had in life was whether a group of 18-22 year olds won a silly game. I realized how stupid that was, and did my best to distance myself from the “living and dying” by it part. I still watch. I still want my team to win. I’ve scaled back on traveling to games. And I try not to revolve my Fall weekends around it anymore. Anyway, golf may need to occupy a similar spot in my life. Important, still enjoyable, but not to be taken so seriously.

Posted:
    Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
    Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
    Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
    Bettinardi BB1

Advertisement
  • 3jacker3jacker  1009WRX Points: 618Members Posts: 1,009

Torn rotator cuff
    Periods despair and discouragement
    Many great memories

Posted:
    Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
    TM V-Steel 4wd Protopype 80X
    Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
    Callaway Apex MB 4-PW KBS C-Taper X
    Cleveland 52*/58* CG10 KBS C-Taper X
    Sizemore XB-1
  • wmblake2000wmblake2000 Los Angeles 5991WRX Points: 673Members Posts: 5,991

On -, @SixtySomePing said:

If you've been playing golf any length of time at all, then you've probably made some monetary investment as well as a good amount of your time. Have you received satisfaction back from golf in some form or another, for what you've invested so far? I totally understand paying it forward, and helping others with the game, which is terrific to do, any time you can. However, what has golf given back to you?

That's easy to answer: Decades of enjoyment. Someone recently described it as 'athletic jigsaw puzzle' except you never really get the picture fully put together for very long.

Posted:
    Ping GMax 400 10.5 TPT 17 LKP
    Callawy Epic 5W 
    Callaway X-hot pro 3,4 h
    Mizuno MP4 4-W, KBS tour-v, 110 S
    Mizuno MP-64 4-W, c-taper lite, 105 R
    Fourteen mt28v3 50, 54, 58
    Cameron Futura 5W

• MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-Maryland 2448WRX Points: 1,048Members Posts: 2,448

Credit card receipts.

Posted:
    Post edited by MountainGoat on
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU  8631WRX Points: 2,226Members Posts: 8,631

Anything that golf has "given" me, I have paid for multiple times over.

Posted:
    Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 3D 9*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
    3 iron Cobra King Utility Aldila Rouge 90 X flex
    4-PW Mizuno MP-18 MB Aldila RIP SLT Tour 115X Flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 52, 58, 64
    PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow
  • billh17billh17 just happy to play  3016WRX Points: 1,943Members Posts: 3,016

It has given me many friendships thru the years. Many hours of quiet time on the course
    in the late afternoon and early evenings,and most of all,it is a game that i got my granddaughter
    started in,with her walking along with me,and then having her tiny first set of clubs. Today she
    will out drive me often and we spend more time together because of golf. That is about the
    best thing golf could ever give me.

Posted:
    Certified Orginal Member#2
    Outlaw Golf Association
    To Heck with the USGA

Advertisement
  • tannyhobantannyhoban  1988WRX Points: 298Members Posts: 1,988

Enjoyment. Solo or with friends. I enjoy every aspect of the game. Priceless.

Posted:
  • disco111disco111  1135WRX Points: 250Members Posts: 1,135

What has golf given me............Hmmm, lets see
    A Bad back
    Bad knees
    Bad shoulder
    Fits of anger
    And an empty wallet !!
    But, it has also given me at times a few glorious memories, such as my first birdie, a hole in one, an albatross, the excitement of the Masters, which is the un-official / official start of the real golf season, the camaraderie of those considered friends and last but not least, on a nice evening with the course to myself and the sun beginning to set, the tranquility of spending time with the creator in quiet contemplation of thank fullness and hope for the future.............

Posted:
    Post edited by disco111 on
  • ReasonabilityReasonability Mirror work is a good idea.  8539WRX Points: 1,340Members Posts: 8,539

An opportunity. To be a respectful son, brother, husband, father, student, friend, fan, coworker, neighbor, and club tinkerer. To embark on a journey that hopefully never ends. Other than all that, not much. ⛳️

Posted:
    A cynic sees the cost of everything
    and the value of nothing.
  • third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm  2165WRX Points: 662Members Posts: 2,165

After making a nice 4 putt yesterday and spinning my club around in the air, I think golf has given me the ability to be a really great baton twirler.

Posted:
  • Grizz06Grizz06  266WRX Points: 38Members Posts: 266

A ton of great stories, even more memories, and a wife...
    It has taken from me the thought that I can be good at anything...

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Hanlpa01Hanlpa01 Akron, OH 107WRX Points: 57Members Posts: 107

On -, @jimb6golf said:

Perfectly said. It’s given me a getaway from the nonsense of work and other responsibility while having a chance to always be improving.

Posted:
  • rainkingjrrainkingjr  2709WRX Points: 189Members Posts: 2,709

Credit card debt.

Posted:
  • blues72blues72  52WRX Points: 56Members Posts: 52

The motivation to get better, humility and hope that the work shows itself.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • ctsgolfctsgolf  186WRX Points: 143Members Posts: 186

Peace and tranquility.
    Until I'm standing on the 16 tee reminding myself that I have to par out for an 82.

Posted:
    Taylormade M1  Speeder 661 Evo
    Ping G  Aldila NV 75s
    Titleist T-MB 20°  DG S400
    Titleist 695CB  DG S300 (4-PW)
    Callaway MD Forged  Recoil 125 F4
    Miura  KM-006  

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.