Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

What has golf given back to you?

2

Comments

  • freeze16172002freeze16172002 Members Posts: 168 ✭✭✭

    found a pro v once, used it on the next hole. hit it in the water

  • TServosTServos Members Posts: 464 ✭✭✭✭

    @freeze16172002 said:
    found a pro v once, used it on the next hole. hit it in the water

    That was mine.

    And it was rolling when you found it.

    Ping
  • Ping's DuckPing's Duck Members Posts: 202 ✭✭✭
    edited Apr 25, 2019 2:00pm #34

    Mud in the cleats, plugged grooves, scuffed covers, bent shafts, mosquito revenge, well water filled coolers, and a few "where were you" looks, but wouldn't change a thing.

  • Edward_MajorwinEdward_Majorwin British ColumbiaMembers Posts: 165 ✭✭✭

    This is definitely a cool thread, nice one SSP
    Golf has become my reason to live in a way. Wasted a lot of time and virtually ruined my life making poor decisions in my 20s and 30s. Over the past 8 years this game has injected me with a purpose again. I am healthily obsessed (although the bouts of range rage are shameful) and just want to keep at it forever.

    Right-handed Canadian golfer swinging left
    Ping G400 9.5
    Taylor Made M4 3-wood(recently destroyed)
    Ping G410 3H
    Titleist AP2 718 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey SM6 52 & 56 degree, Callaway Mack Daddy2 60 degree
    Odyssey Stroke Lab ONE
    Ball: Callaway Supersoft (yellow)
    Tees: Wood

  • lookylookitzadamlookylookitzadam SoCalMembers Posts: 559 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It's one of the few things that truly let's me clear my mind.

  • hooters714hooters714 Members Posts: 24 ✭✭

    Better health maybe not mentally but physically and a better relationship with my wife

  • march11934march11934 Members Posts: 86 ✭✭✭

    Patience in the time it takes to get good results. Tenacity towards achieving those results and the serenity of a good round.

  • Edward_MajorwinEdward_Majorwin British ColumbiaMembers Posts: 165 ✭✭✭

    @aenemated said:
    It's made me start taking better care of myself.

    After my dad passed 20 years ago; I more or less stopped playing as I lost my #1 playing partner. From age 8 or 9 till 21; golf was **** near all I cared about. Though in my later teens, I started playing music as well; drums primarily. While dad was still around, it was easy enough to do both but when he was gone - it was all music. I still would go to the range every so often and would TRY to get back into it, but it just didn't stick.

    Moved from NC to Vegas back in 2002 and REALLY got into the music scene and all the bad decisions that come with it. Five years later and it was on to LA where it just got worse. I became, by all definitions, an alcoholic and while I never had any REAL drug addictions, I was certainly doing plenty of them. Lost a wife in the process. I really was a mess. When the want to play out kinda petered out; all the bad **** didn't.

    The only thing that stayed manageable was that I'm a pretty decent programmer and always kept a solid career going. Wasn't always easy but I managed. Through a chance lunch pairing at work last year, met a new guy that played. I was stoked to get invited for a round - the first full one I'd played in like 4 years. It was an early one out at the Ike in City of Industry. Early tee time on a Saturday morning so I made it a point to not get drunk the night before ... which had become my typical Friday. And Saturday. And Sunday.

    I remember walking up to the clubhouse around 7:30AM that morning and the smell of the turf hit me ... it reminded me of the early rounds with my dad all those years ago. I played horribly but he was nice enough to keep inviting me every so often and every time, I'd go. Word got around at the office that we had a little golf group coming together and more started joining. Got to where we were doing outings a couple times a month. Then several months in, we had a tee time one Sunday morning and I'd managed to NOT get hammered Friday night ... but, ya now, bad decisions and all and got pretty lit that Saturday. Of course, there was no way I was gonna make it for the tee time ... and cancelled.

    Doing that REALLY hit me. Like ... "Dude, you LOVE playing. What are you doing?"

    I made a decision that day. I was going to not only get my game back to where it was 20+ years ago, I was going to get BETTER. I cut out the stupid binge drinking that'd become so common, eventually quit smoking (pack and a half a day since I was 16), started exercising and eating right. At nearly 42, I'm in better shape than I've maybe ever been. I'm at least as good as I was back in the day but still have work to do to be better - but that's the whole point, right?

    So yeah. I was in pretty bad shape mentally and physically till this all came back. And I'm really glad it did.

    Dude, thanks for sharing! I too have replaced self destruction with golf and my weekend warrior mode is done on the links rather than the bar/nightclub/wherever.
    I just love walking along early in a round and thinking "years ago you'd still be awake from Friday's partying and hating yourself, and now that's all dead...up at dawn with only golf on the mind, f**k yeaaaah!"
    +1 for best shape of my life (44 yrs) and addicted to something healthy and positive
    Cheers aenemated!

    Right-handed Canadian golfer swinging left
    Ping G400 9.5
    Taylor Made M4 3-wood(recently destroyed)
    Ping G410 3H
    Titleist AP2 718 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey SM6 52 & 56 degree, Callaway Mack Daddy2 60 degree
    Odyssey Stroke Lab ONE
    Ball: Callaway Supersoft (yellow)
    Tees: Wood

  • augustgolfaugustgolf Golf with dignity Coastal NCMembers Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @aenemated said:
    It's made me start taking better care of myself.

    After my dad passed 20 years ago; I more or less stopped playing as I lost my #1 playing partner. From age 8 or 9 till 21; golf was **** near all I cared about. Though in my later teens, I started playing music as well; drums primarily. While dad was still around, it was easy enough to do both but when he was gone - it was all music. I still would go to the range every so often and would TRY to get back into it, but it just didn't stick.

    Moved from NC to Vegas back in 2002 and REALLY got into the music scene and all the bad decisions that come with it. Five years later and it was on to LA where it just got worse. I became, by all definitions, an alcoholic and while I never had any REAL drug addictions, I was certainly doing plenty of them. Lost a wife in the process. I really was a mess. When the want to play out kinda petered out; all the bad **** didn't.

    The only thing that stayed manageable was that I'm a pretty decent programmer and always kept a solid career going. Wasn't always easy but I managed. Through a chance lunch pairing at work last year, met a new guy that played. I was stoked to get invited for a round - the first full one I'd played in like 4 years. It was an early one out at the Ike in City of Industry. Early tee time on a Saturday morning so I made it a point to not get drunk the night before ... which had become my typical Friday. And Saturday. And Sunday.

    I remember walking up to the clubhouse around 7:30AM that morning and the smell of the turf hit me ... it reminded me of the early rounds with my dad all those years ago. I played horribly but he was nice enough to keep inviting me every so often and every time, I'd go. Word got around at the office that we had a little golf group coming together and more started joining. Got to where we were doing outings a couple times a month. Then several months in, we had a tee time one Sunday morning and I'd managed to NOT get hammered Friday night ... but, ya now, bad decisions and all and got pretty lit that Saturday. Of course, there was no way I was gonna make it for the tee time ... and cancelled.

    Doing that REALLY hit me. Like ... "Dude, you LOVE playing. What are you doing?"

    I made a decision that day. I was going to not only get my game back to where it was 20+ years ago, I was going to get BETTER. I cut out the stupid binge drinking that'd become so common, eventually quit smoking (pack and a half a day since I was 16), started exercising and eating right. At nearly 42, I'm in better shape than I've maybe ever been. I'm at least as good as I was back in the day but still have work to do to be better - but that's the whole point, right?

    So yeah. I was in pretty bad shape mentally and physically till this all came back. And I'm really glad it did.

    Confession - and golf - is good for the soul.
    Thanks for sharing. Hope you feel your father every time on the course

    Pings from the beginning

    OGA member 1415
    or is it 1514...
    I don't remember exactly
  • max1max1 Members Posts: 6 ✭✭

    It's true that playing golf certainly requires time and monetary investment. For me, the return is having some quality time with close golf friends and family.

  • platgofplatgof platgof ClubWRX Posts: 1,626 ClubWRX

    @disco111 said:
    What has golf given me............Hmmm, lets see
    A Bad back
    Bad knees
    Bad shoulder
    Fits of anger
    And an empty wallet !!
    But, it has also given me at times a few glorious memories, such as my first birdie, a hole in one, an albatross, the excitement of the Masters, which is the un-official / official start of the real golf season, the camaraderie of those considered friends and last but not least, on a nice evening with the course to myself and the sun beginning to set, the tranquility of spending time with the creator in quiet contemplation of thank fullness and hope for the future.............

    Perfectly said!

    GBB Fusion HT 13.5
    Cobra F8 12*
    F9 5-6 WD
    F9 7-8 WD
    OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
    P790's this week, next week?
    Glide AW, SW, LW
    TM Spider Pro Red C/S
    B330RX
  • DeliSliceDeliSlice Members Posts: 17 ✭✭

    A place to hide from the wife.

    Taylormade M5 Tour 430cc 9* Hazardous Smoke
    Titleist 917F2 13.5* Diamana 80 S
    Titleist 818H1 19* Fujikura Atmos S
    Titleist 4-GW 718 AP2
    Titleist Vokey SM7 54* 58* M Grind
    Rife Barbados Sunburst 32 in.

    Callaway Chrome Soft

  • Zengolfer36Zengolfer36 Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 134 ✭✭✭
    edited Jul 2, 2019 1:15pm #45

    Its given me back enjoyment, releaxation and commaraderie. Its also added a spiritual aspect to my life. Without golf, I probably wouldnt be a Buddhist and wouldnt be, "zen golfer".
    Back in the days when I struggled with the mental side of the game, I had an interesting in Japan and asian culture in general, so I came across the book, "Zen Golf" and it changed my life, so to speak.
    Golf has given so much back to me that honestly, if something were to happen where I couldnt golf anymore, I dont know what I would do.
    A couple years ago I was struggling with some foot pain and went to a foot doctor. The solution they offered was to basically break the joint of my big toe and fuse it. The only catch if that I would basically be reduced to being flat-footed all the time and golf I would be out. I told them no and that I wouldnt do it as long as I could bear the pain. Well, I still havent had the surgery and have learned how to manage the pain. If my choice is a little pain from time to time or no golf, I will choice the pain every time.

  • ckguy914ckguy914 Chandler / Phoenix, AZMembers Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @aenemated said:
    It's made me start taking better care of myself.

    After my dad passed 20 years ago; I more or less stopped playing as I lost my #1 playing partner. From age 8 or 9 till 21; golf was **** near all I cared about. Though in my later teens, I started playing music as well; drums primarily. While dad was still around, it was easy enough to do both but when he was gone - it was all music. I still would go to the range every so often and would TRY to get back into it, but it just didn't stick.

    Moved from NC to Vegas back in 2002 and REALLY got into the music scene and all the bad decisions that come with it. Five years later and it was on to LA where it just got worse. I became, by all definitions, an alcoholic and while I never had any REAL drug addictions, I was certainly doing plenty of them. Lost a wife in the process. I really was a mess. When the want to play out kinda petered out; all the bad **** didn't.

    The only thing that stayed manageable was that I'm a pretty decent programmer and always kept a solid career going. Wasn't always easy but I managed. Through a chance lunch pairing at work last year, met a new guy that played. I was stoked to get invited for a round - the first full one I'd played in like 4 years. It was an early one out at the Ike in City of Industry. Early tee time on a Saturday morning so I made it a point to not get drunk the night before ... which had become my typical Friday. And Saturday. And Sunday.

    I remember walking up to the clubhouse around 7:30AM that morning and the smell of the turf hit me ... it reminded me of the early rounds with my dad all those years ago. I played horribly but he was nice enough to keep inviting me every so often and every time, I'd go. Word got around at the office that we had a little golf group coming together and more started joining. Got to where we were doing outings a couple times a month. Then several months in, we had a tee time one Sunday morning and I'd managed to NOT get hammered Friday night ... but, ya now, bad decisions and all and got pretty lit that Saturday. Of course, there was no way I was gonna make it for the tee time ... and cancelled.

    Doing that REALLY hit me. Like ... "Dude, you LOVE playing. What are you doing?"

    I made a decision that day. I was going to not only get my game back to where it was 20+ years ago, I was going to get BETTER. I cut out the stupid binge drinking that'd become so common, eventually quit smoking (pack and a half a day since I was 16), started exercising and eating right. At nearly 42, I'm in better shape than I've maybe ever been. I'm at least as good as I was back in the day but still have work to do to be better - but that's the whole point, right?

    So yeah. I was in pretty bad shape mentally and physically till this all came back. And I'm really glad it did.

    Thank you for sharing, I really enjoyed reading your story.
    I grew up playing City of Industry but was only able to play the Ike course a handful of times because they would only let the kids in their junior program play the Babe course.
    Golf has always been around my life, even more so now that work in the industry. But those golf moments as a kid still sticks with me and still makes me smile thinking back at them.

    PING G410 Plus 9° flat
    PING G410 LST FW #3
    PING G410 HY #2
    PING G410 Crossover #3
    PING i500 #5, 6
    PING i210 #7-PW
    PING Glide 3.0 50°, 54°, 60°
    PING JAS Anser stealth
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,932 ClubWRX

    Had an interesting experience last night that was golf related. An employee asked if I would have a glass of wine with her. I was leery at first because she wouldn't share what she wanted to talk about. 30 seconds after sitting down she had this huge Cheshire grin on her face and was just ready to burst. She shared how she's listened to the stories of golfing with friends and that she saw a passion but she didn't get it. Hitting a ball with a stick, walking to it again, hitting it a few more times and then hitting it with a shorter stick. She didn't get the fun.

    Back in March, she went to FL with her parents who convinced her to try golf, once. She begrudgingly acquiesced just to keep her parents, who are both serious golfers, happy. She made a par in her first 9 holes on a par 3 and was hooked. She started taking lessons, bought clubs, outfits, shoes and we sat there for an hour going through the hundreds of swing videos she had on her phone of tee shots, irons, hybrids, chips, putts, etc. She's now golfing with her parents 3x a week and has found a deeper relationship with her parents. She's beyond passionate about the game and it brought me back to when I first fell in love with the game many years ago.

    She asked if we could play 9 holes together so we scheduled it for the next week. She asked me to promise not to laugh if she whiffed or hit a bad shot. I agreed under the condition she made the same promise as I told her playing for 50 years doesn't mean your good.

  • rich srich s Members Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭✭

    women, I had no idea golf groupies existed when I first started. I still remember one asking me out as I was making a mad dash for the porta-potty. Thought it was a fluke deal but now I can't play a full round without being whistled at, asked out and many other things I can't mention on this family friendly website. To be honest, it gets tiring, I am just there to play golf.

  • SavageCySavageCy Parts UnknownMembers Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

    Pure joy

    TS3 9.5* w Tensei PO 60TX
    TS3 15* w Tensei PB 70TX
    913H 19* w AD DI 105X
    716 AP2 4-9 w C Taper Lite X
    SM6 47* SM5 51* 55* 59* w C Taper Lite X
    Milled 8802 w SS Pistol GT 2.0
  • augustgolfaugustgolf Golf with dignity Coastal NCMembers Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @DavePelz4 said:
    Had an interesting experience last night that was golf related. An employee asked if I would have a glass of wine with her. I was leery at first because she wouldn't share what she wanted to talk about. 30 seconds after sitting down she had this huge Cheshire grin on her face and was just ready to burst. She shared how she's listened to the stories of golfing with friends and that she saw a passion but she didn't get it. Hitting a ball with a stick, walking to it again, hitting it a few more times and then hitting it with a shorter stick. She didn't get the fun.

    Back in March, she went to FL with her parents who convinced her to try golf, once. She begrudgingly acquiesced just to keep her parents, who are both serious golfers, happy. She made a par in her first 9 holes on a par 3 and was hooked. She started taking lessons, bought clubs, outfits, shoes and we sat there for an hour going through the hundreds of swing videos she had on her phone of tee shots, irons, hybrids, chips, putts, etc. She's now golfing with her parents 3x a week and has found a deeper relationship with her parents. She's beyond passionate about the game and it brought me back to when I first fell in love with the game many years ago.

    She asked if we could play 9 holes together so we scheduled it for the next week. She asked me to promise not to laugh if she whiffed or hit a bad shot. I agreed under the condition she made the same promise as I told her playing for 50 years doesn't mean your good.

    I want/need to know how this 9-holes went...

    Pings from the beginning

    OGA member 1415
    or is it 1514...
    I don't remember exactly
  • dan360dan360 Paisano Members Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    good friends, good travels, good sights, good memories, good exercise, good excuses to have an adult beverage, the goods outweigh the bads for sure!

    WITB 29JUL2019
    • Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
    • Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
    • shopping for this gap...
    • CB3 4-G 
    • PM Grind '19 54/60/64
    • Anser 2 Jim Wells Tour Proto 36"
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,932 ClubWRX

    Hello Aug...hope you're well and thanks for asking

    All in all, it was really fun for both of us. She quickly got through the "golfing with the boss thing" and I thought for someone with < 6 months playing she did amazingly well. Hit a lot of good shots, a few tee shots that were easily 150 yards and straight. Hit her hybrid very well and I suggested she look into adding another one or two to her bag and dumping the longer irons. She struggled putting a bit which seems to be pretty common with that little experience so we went to the practice afterwards and spent some time working on speed. She didn't want to keep score but she shot a 48 on a 2,000 yard par 33 course which I thought was great.

    I did mess up by not complimenting her outfit until after the round...don't really think that way but I did say something at the end. It was really fun to see someone who has just fallen in love with the game and can't talk about it enough. She does have way too many swing videos though and I suggested not to analyze every single swing but I don't think that'll happen as she's hooked.

  • augustgolfaugustgolf Golf with dignity Coastal NCMembers Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Thanks for the update & it's good to know she is in good hands, with you knowing the game so well.

    If she didn't compliment you on YOUR outfit prior to playing, you did nothing wrong, failing to do the same.

    I do hope you impressed her the importance of ingesting copious amounts of Costco wine, postgame.

    Pings from the beginning

    OGA member 1415
    or is it 1514...
    I don't remember exactly
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,932 ClubWRX

    She's taking lessons from a professional so she's in REALLY good hands. There's enough Costco and wine talk in the office so we have that covered. This was all golf for 3 hours and frankly she did 99% of the talking.

  • dayvei214dayvei214 Members Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

    Golf really brought FIL and me together.... I actually picked it up so we had some common grounds beside my wife lol. Only bummer is that it also open my eyes to how old he's getting each passing year,as his drives get a little shorter and his short game gets sharper...

  • admorkadmork Orlando, FlMembers Posts: 82 ✭✭✭

    Golf made me travel the world, gave me a great family, nice friends, a wonderful job and unbelievable memories.
    Golf taught me a lot about myself and still does. It helps me to become a better person. I am very grateful.
    "Plan it, work at it, stay humble and enjoy it."

  • caniac6caniac6 Members Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Something fun to do. Met a lot of good guys. Keeps me exercising and moving. Last few years I've had a few very serious health issues, and every time my first question was when can I start playing again?

  • Warrior42111Warrior42111 FloridaMembers Posts: 85 ✭✭✭

    Experiencing the full spectrum of emotions in a 4 hour period

    Taylormade M6 10.5| Project X Even Flow Black X 6.5
    Ping G20 3 wood 15 * | Ping TFC 149F Stiff
    Ping G400 5 Wood 18
    | PING Alta CB 65 Stiff
    Callaway Steelhead XR 5-AW | Project X 6.5 Rifle
    Titleist SM6 50* / 56* / 62* | Stock
    Odyssey Stroke Lab, Toulon Memphis 34"

  • RichsgboxRichsgbox Members Posts: 147 ✭✭✭

    For as much of a pain the game can be mentally and financially its given me time for myself and something to be passionate for. Ive havent had that in a long time.

  • tdennietdennie Members Posts: 45 ✭✭

    From learning it at a early age it definitely taught me manners and patience. Though sometimes both of those fly out the window when I'm playing terribly.

  • llewol007llewol007 4KidsGolfer ClubWRX Posts: 3,440 ClubWRX

    Golf gives me a very good application to life. At the end of the day, you and only you can control the things that can affect your game. I fell in love with golf because of that aspect. I was on teams of various sports before and I always blamed others for the performance of the team. But with golf, even on a team level. You control the performance and the outcome. An example is the preparation one must take to even play the game. We all approach learning the game on different levels. Some take lessons, some watch videos and feel like they have the secret formula. Some never sacrifice the time to practice while others seek expert advice on getting better. Life is exactly that same way. Golf has provided me the insight that I teach my 4 kids now. I tell them that life is going to be a challenge like a brand new golf course with the highest slope rating out there. All you can do is prepare yourself, deal with the issues at hand and hope you have the proper tools and knowledge to over the challenges and shoot a low score. If you do not, take it as a learning experience to see where you are lacking , obtain what you are lacking whether equipment or knowledge. Learn to master it, and take on the next challenge. Each time you are becoming not only a better golfer, but a better person. I love the game of golf as it applies to life. Just like in golf, all it takes is one great shot to make you come back for more. Same with life......

    Cobra F8 9* Aldila Rogue 60 3.0 X Stiff
    Cobra LTD 14.5 Degree Aldila Rogue 70 3.3 X Stiff
    Cobra LTD 17.5 Degree Aldila Rogue 70 3.6 X Stiff
    Cobra Utility 20.5 DG AMT S300 Black HHx1
    Cobra MB/CB 4-PW DG AMT S300 Black HHx1
    Cobra Pur 52/58 S200 
    Odyssey Grim Reaper 
    Vice Pro+/Snell Mtbx

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file