2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Mackenzie Walker Golf Bag

First of all, although I've just registered for this site, I don't think I've made a golf purchase over the last 15 years without first searching out reviews on GolfWRX, love this site and the forums.  After making the decision to build and order a Mackenzie Walker Bag (and get my wife's approval), I was surprised that there weren't more reviews and photos online, so that's why i'm going to post this.  Although I just received the bag and haven't used it yet (still snow in WI), I want to let people know my experience with the build and order process and share some pics.  The best review I had seen was actually on WRX posted by RIDE in 2008.  I'd love to know if he still has the bag and how it's held up over the last decade.  

After spending a weekend on their website using their builder tool and not being able to make up my mind on color combos and custom options, I picked up the phone and called Mackenzie.  Nic answered and told me that he would help me every step of the way and asked what general look I was interested in.  He told me he'd rather have a conversation than just take online orders and they really do make the bag with the customer as a collaboration.  After some emails back and forth, he sent over some different options within 20 minutes.  I wanted a black body with some gray/blue/white somewhere in the bag.  I was trying to fit in some red and ultimately decided to have every stich on the bag be red, which in the end is really what I love most about the look.   I also wanted him to have the flexibility to play around with where he thought the different colors should be.  Also added the tresle sticks.  I figure they'll be useful at the range and also for some epic photo opps on my golf trip to Northern Ireland in late July.  About a week after I placed the final order, a golf buddy of mine sent me a text of a picture that Mackenzie posted on their Instagram of a scorecard and pencil holder inside the front pocket.  I had to have it, so I called Nic.  He answered right away and told me he was making the turn at Tobacco Run and would have to call me the next day but that the add on would be no problem.  Talk about service!!!  I thought that was pretty awesome that he'd answer the call during a round of golf.  

The estimated delivery time was the end of March, this was back in mid February.  I received the bag on 3/20, ahead of schedule which is always nice.  It arrived in a very classy cloth dust bag with the Mackenzie logo on it.  Things I've noticed in a short period of time.  14 clubs fit without issue.  I took it to a simulator today and clubs did not tangle when pulling them out or putting them back in.  The leather is extremely soft and the zippers are very high quality.  Up close the stitching quality and attention to detail is top notch.  WIll follow up when our season starts in a couple weeks with how it is walking with it on the course.  I purchased this bag fully expecting to pass it on to my son who is 10 and golfs.  We have the same initials so I just used the first letter of my first name and then my last name on the side of the pocket.  On the inside of the pocket I had them put a message that I put on my son's golf balls each season as well.  

Thanks for reading and i'd be happy to answer any questions regarding the order and build process.  Hopefully this post can help people looking into getting a new Mackenzie!!  Hopefully the pictures post right after this, I have to post those from a different device.  Thanks again.

• Like 1

Really nice, congrats!  You must be in northern Wiscnsin?  Down here in the Madison area the snow is mostly gone and one course is opening today, another tomorrow and I’m sure plenty this weekend.  I’m taking the afternoon off to take my Mackenzie out to start the season. 

Good call on the trestle sticks, I absolutely love mine and use them constantly.  I actually find it just as easy as a stand bag.  I just hold and use the sticks like a walking stick until I get to my ball, flip them open and set my bag into them. 

I look forward to hwaring what you think once you get a chance to play with it, hopefully the thaw heads your way soon!

Titleist 913 D3 / Titleist TSi2 15 / Titleist TS2 19h / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie

Thank you!  Slide13, yeah I live just north of Wausau so we have 2-3 weeks before anything will open up.  We usually drive the 2 hours south to Madison to play Lake Windsor this time of year.  Maybe this weekend!  I agree with you on the tresle sticks.  So far just at home and at the simulator it's been very easy to use them.  

• 1 month later...

Well I finally got out and played my first league round with the new bag. I have to say it was really fun carrying this bag. The one thing that stands out is how soft and comfortable it is to carry. Also the quality and sturdiness of the metal loops on the strap. I was worried about having to keep my Bushnell in a pocket but the case clipped onto the top metal loop perfectly and was easy to grab while carrying. Also I’m glad I had the scorecard holder stitched inside the pocket but figured out that it’s actually the perfect size to keep my cellphone in during the round, bonus!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great looking bag! I have a leather one and have just ordered a ballistic nylon one. Hopefully it will be a bit lighter. Just trying to create an excuse for buying another which is not really needed! These bags give such a ‘feel good ‘ experience and are made so well they will last to be passed down the generations. Keep walking!

• 5 months later...

@Laguna88

Not the OP but I do have the Walker with the bottom pocket and I'm glad I do. I don't keep much in it normally, just an extra sleeve of balls, extra glove and sunglasses but I got it for the extra room if needed for all day golfing fun. Extra layers that need to be added or removed, rain gear, etc. The top pocket is large enough for most things, and most days I wouldn't need the extra pocket, but I have used it on occasion and I'm glad it's there. I don't think it looks awkward nor does it hinder the use of trestle sticks with the bag.

I'm glad I ordered with the bottom large pocket. It is awkward to get into if the bag is resting on the trestle sticks but I don't use them too often. Mainly at the range or when taking a picture of the bag. I usually put a bottle of water and some extra balls and in that pocket but everything else fits in the front pocket. It's nice to have if you start the round with a long sleeve shirt on and need to take it off mid round you can fit it in the bottom pocket. I did recently ask my wife for a Mackenzie valuables pouch for Christmas so next season i'll probably store that pouch in the bottom pocket. I've used this bag for a full season now and I absolutely love it. Played in rain and heat and never had any color bleeding from the bag or the strap, which was my main concern going into the purchase. Took it on it's maiden voyage to Northern Ireland and it was a joy to carry all week. Even though it's not a dual strap, the weight feels balanced like a dual strap bag when you use the thumb loop at the bottom of the bag while carrying. I don't think you'll regret going with the extra pocket!! I would say it's worth the extra $50 for that scorecard holder pocket inside the front pocket. I'll post a pic of it.

> @CozBMB said:

> I found a use for the loop in the front pocket. I use the valuables bag to hold tees, ballmarkers, etc. It clips on the loop and keeps it organized and quiet.

I been doing the same for years - works great with the Mac.

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

> @Laguna88 said:

> Sounds good. Do guys think Mackenzie will consider a custom order for an external side pocket? Or will that interfere with the style of the bag? I’ve emailed them about it nonetheless. I’ll let you guys know what they say.

Kind of funny. I emailed them a few days ago about a custom bag with the possibility of a scorecard holder on the side rather than in the pocket but I haven't heard back yet.

Two things that I added to my bag that I would add again are the water bottle holder and the D-ring near the buckle. I drink a lot of water during my rounds and the outside pocket for my water bottle is much easier to access while walking down there fairway. The D-ring is nice to be able to attach a rangefinder or speaker if you use either. Mine hold my JBL clip perfect.

vse6u5953xec.jpg

this is the rendering we have been going back and forth on. I've decided to pull the trigger and do leather, I have a side project next week that I should be able to do next weekend and pay for it. I wanted a scorecard holder on the side but they told me that they haven't been able to do it well yet. I saw a water bottle holder mentioned and a d-ring at the top, I definitely want the d ring. Where does the water bottle holder go though?

• 4 months later...

I have a few pairs of trestle sticks... I would call them low quality. They break easily. I had a pair break after the bag tipped over. Definitely lower quality than say the Eliott Golb Bags sticks and steurer and jacoby ones I have.

If they're free with the bag, then great. If they're not, I'd look at other options.

i love my walker. i got it early last year and its the nylon version. its a light tan and is showing some black marks on the sides and this is driving me crazy. what are you guys using to clean yours with? i was just using warm water and a rag and it got most of the marks off but not all. i dont even know what the marks are. its not dirt from being set down and its just black smudge marks here and there randomly. any help on cleaning would be appreciated.

Ping G400 LST 10*
Titleist TS3 15*
Taylormade UDI 2 
Callaway MB 2018 3-W
Titleist Vokey 54*/60*
Bettinardi BB2