Icon Lifespan?

LUMALUMA I Am My Greatest DownfallJax Beaches, FL.Posts: 2,368 ✭✭
I seem to be getting 2-3 years out of my Icons. Is this normal? I start to get cracking at the the very top of the shoe around where the shoe opens to the foot, right toe wears out from contact during follow through, inside collar area can split... etc.

Anyone else get a similar life out of these? I don't think I even play as much as others. Anything I can do to prolong these shoes? It's a bummer that the old style icons have been replaced by the blacks because I would always get the older versions in sale every couple years or so. Now I am forced to get MyJoys at $300 a pop. Yes, I've tried other shoes such as ProSL, DNA, and I can't get away from the feel and comfort of the older Icon.
Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9 deg / Aldila Rouge
Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana 70
Callaway XR 19 deg Hybrid / Project X LZ S
Titleist 718 MB PW-4i / Project X 6.0 
Titleist Vokey SM5 50/54/58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Comments

• Wallstreet1978Wallstreet1978 Members Posts: 14 ✭✭
    I have not had any problems but I wipe mine down after every round and also use saddle soap and leather oils on occasion.  I always keep shoe trees in each pair and rotate rounds.  I have seven pair so this could be part of it as well.  
  • soregongolfersoregongolfer Members Posts: 1,278 ✭✭
    Mine have that same cracking, but are 5-6 years old.  I clean them occasionally and use saddle soap like Wallstreet1978.  
  • LUMALUMA I Am My Greatest Downfall Jax Beaches, FL.Posts: 2,368 ✭✭
    Maybe I just need to use a better cleaner and moisturizer. I would use Dawn in the past, which I really didn't like but I even got recommendations from FJ that Dawn was OK. I was sure I was drying them out with that stuff...  
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9 deg / Aldila Rouge
    Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana 70
    Callaway XR 19 deg Hybrid / Project X LZ S
    Titleist 718 MB PW-4i / Project X 6.0 
    Titleist Vokey SM5 50/54/58
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5
  • FlyingLaw1FlyingLaw1 Members Posts: 779 ✭✭
    I have a pair that I got in late 2011 (I'm pretty sure). They were my only pair of golf shoes for about 3 seasons. I still wear them a few times a year. The toe on the right shoe is slightly worn but other than that they still look really good for a golf shoe of their age. I clean them after every couple of wears and always keep keep shoe trees in them.
    GO DAWGS
  • FlyingLaw1FlyingLaw1 Members Posts: 779 ✭✭
    LUMA said:
    Maybe I just need to use a better cleaner and moisturizer. I would use Dawn in the past, which I really didn't like but I even got recommendations from FJ that Dawn was OK. I was sure I was drying them out with that stuff...  
    I use saddle soap applied with a shave brush--do the same for ALL my dress shoes and the leather seats in my car. Then apply a little leather conditioner. I've been doing it for 10+ years now and have been very happy with the results.
    GO DAWGS
  • toddnttoddnt Members Posts: 4,270 ✭✭

Wipe mine down with the Maguires car upholstery wipes and use shoe trees.. Rotation is a must!

• MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members Posts: 4,747 ✭✭

You are always going to get some cracking of the leather with a shoe of that type, no escaping it I am afraid but there are definitely ways and means of keeping it to a minimum. First essential is shoe trees. You might well use them already but, they amount of people who will spend $300 on a pair of golf shoes and then not spend $20 on getting some shoe trees for them amazes me. It stops the creases in the shoe becoming too deep and if you do that you will slow up the rate at which any cracks start to develop.

Beyond that, the guys mentioning about wipes and creams, etc, etc are all correct. I have found that the best stuff to put on my FootJoy's is actually a little pack that Ecco come out with. It has a foam cleaner, a leather cream and then a spray to treat the leather. Works an absolute treat.

Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow White T1100
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08, 54.10 & 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x
  • McCann1McCann1 Tour Player Members Posts: 1,723 ✭✭

I still have my first pair of icons from when I was 14 and they are in great shape. I always clean mine on the weekend after using them the prior week. I do have like 20 pairs though so I don’t wear the same ones as often as most people. I don’t know how much they cost nowadays but maybe if there’s a sale you could buy 2-3 pairs and rotate them. Yes, it’s more expensive but it could lead to a longer lifespan for each shoe

Enjoy the chase.