Stupid Question: Can an iron head not be suitable for a graphite shaft?

so some time ago I bought some Xcalibur Axe shafts and had them fitted to my Nike Covert 2 forged heads. They felt terrible, like each shot was hit thin. The fitter said the shafts should be fine, but some heads just don't take a graphite shaft well, this sounded a bit odd to me. Is this remotely possible?

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Just hit the **** ball.[/font]
TM R1
Adams Tight lies 2 5w
Cleveland Mashie 5h
Nike Covert Forged 2, 6-PW
Lynx Prowler VT 5-PW
Cleveland 588 Tour Action 51*
MD Golf Seve Sedona 58*
Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini.

Best Answer

• TT2017TT2017 Posts: 227 ✭✭
    edited Mar 25, 2019 11:08am #2 Accepted Answer

I had the same issue sort of when I played Recoil 95 Protos. In my irons the shaft were great but when I put one in a Vokey 52 wedge it was just horrible. I then tried a Proto 110 and then a Proto 125 yet same degree of horrible. Back to steel in the same head and as if by magic it felt fine again. I've never managed to get to the bottom of it, and now I no longer care :) But thought I'd at least give you some comfort that what you are experiencing isn't necessarily unique.

p.s. I build my own clubs so it wasn't a build error or swing weight issues or any other similar related issue.

Answers

• Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 22,867 ✭✭
    Well, as far as performance goes, definitely not.

Did you use impact tape or something else to actually check where impact was happening?   it may have felt thin because it was thin?  
    Also, be aware that a lot of what we think of as feel, actually comes from the sound we here - and some indoor fitting bays can do strange things to the sound.  Did you try the same head with a steel shaft in the same bay?

Regardless, "Feel", especially the feel at impact can be quite complicated and very subjective and there are a lot of contributing factors - shaft, head, ball, swing, etc...    The biggest complaint in that respect with graphite is that it can mute or muffle the feel at impact and people don't get the same amount of feedback about the quality of the strike as they are used to.    It's rare for graphite to make the feel more harsh/unpleasent than steel.   But It's certainly possible that for any individual, there may be certain combinations that just don't work.  But that doesn't mean that it will be common for that combination to also not work for everyone.
  • i*windowsi*windows Posts: 2,134 ✭✭
    Thanks, we both hit the irons, I was hitting them out of the middle and the fitter who is also a pro hit them and we both thought they felt thin, and not just a groove thing but a couple. I play graphite shafts and the Xcalibur was very odd. I have some Lynx clubs I want to put graphite in, so will try again and see what happens. 
    TM R1
    Adams Tight lies 2 5w
    Cleveland Mashie 5h
    Lynx Prowler VT 5-PW
    MD Golf Seve Sedona 58*
  • NessismNessism To measure is to know... Members Posts: 18,177 ✭✭
    Was the swingweight correct for your needs with the graphite shaft clubs?
    Ping G400 driver w/Adila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
    TEE XCG6 3 & 5 fairway woods & Srizon U85 3U
    Ping G25, G410, or i200 irons (depending on mood)
    Ping Glide 50/55/60 wedges 
    Ping Anser putter - the "real deal!"
    yes, all swing weighted correctly and fit by the same fitter who works with Lee Westwood. 
    TM R1
    Adams Tight lies 2 5w
    Cleveland Mashie 5h
    Lynx Prowler VT 5-PW
    MD Golf Seve Sedona 58*
  • Jc0Jc0 ChicagoMembers Posts: 1,845 ✭✭
    edited Mar 22, 2019 2:07pm #7
    Was the tip size correct? I have hit clubs were they put a .355 in a .370 and while the bonding held it felt odd. Had the builder redo the install with a shim (as it should have been done) and it felt way better. 
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 22,867 ✭✭
    Jc0 said:
    Was the tip size correct? I have hit clubs were they put a .355 in a .370 and while the bonding held it felt odd. Had the builder redo the install with a shim (as it should have been done) and it felt way better. 
    Nice thought - but the Covert Forged heads were .355 tp - unless someone bored them out.
  • KelcoKelco Posts: 421 ✭✭

Could this have something to do with the tip section being too stiff or the torque being too low for the player? i believe I have read that both of these will create a harsh feel at impact?

• rgolf06rgolf06 Posts: 165 ✭✭

what kind of grips ? i have had customers who used winn change to a rubber composition grip and the sound/feel improved

Grips where 2G Wraps, and the shafts 80g R Flex - which were replaced with Steelfiber i95.
    The shafts have been sitting in the basement for a couple of years and I have some nice heads on the way I would like to try them in, I guess I could try one and if its not good, just take it out and buy new shafts.
    thanks all for the replies.

TM R1
    Adams Tight lies 2 5w
    Cleveland Mashie 5h
    Lynx Prowler VT 5-PW
    MD Golf Seve Sedona 58*
  • SocratesSocrates How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn? WinnipegClubWRX Posts: 9,166 ClubWRX

I ran into this replacing steel shafts in a set of my Ping i20's. Replaced with Grafalloy ProLogic's (I had used them for years in other heads) and in the i20's they were terrible. Had to bring the SW up considerably to make them feel decent. I'd used D2 in the other heads and needed to go to D4 with the Ping's. Resolved the problem by selling the i20's.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Vokey SM2 52º cc
    Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
    Scotty X7M Dual 38"
    MCC Align Midsize