McIlroy to Play Canadian Open

gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,174 ✭✭
Rory has committed to the Canadian Open.
I find this surprising for two reasons.  It is the week before the US Open at Pebble.  It is also the first week in June in Canada.  The weather could be frightful.
As a matter of fact, when I saw that the Canadian Open had been moved to the week before the US Open, and the first week in June, I figured that none of the big names would play.  Heck, I have played in snow flurries in the first week in June in Canada.
Lousy schedule.  Surprised that Rors will play.
On the other hand, he and the Mrs. will have a chance to drop by her family in Rochester.
On Sundays, I used to play hickory

Comments

• MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members Posts: 4,747 ClubWRX
    To be fair, how bad is the weather actually going to be at that time of year compared to what he was brought up in. It's not uncommon for hail showers to hit at any time playing golf at that time of year over this side of the pond so I can't imagine it will put him up nor down too much. He has also said in the past that he likes to, if possible, play the week before a major or certainly that one of the reasons that he gave for his playing in the Scottish Open the week before The Open this year as opposed to the Irish Open which is two weeks before.
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow White T1100
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08, 54.10 & 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 11,606 ✭✭
    This is a clear indicator that he will soon be in the RBC fold of players
    Hamilton is a fantastic golf course
    1st week of June the weather will likely be 85 and humid. 
    Flurries in June in Southern Ontario?  Get out of here, it's not Saskatchewan.  Our weather is similar to NYC and Chicago
    Ping G400 LST 11* Mitsu TI BB Matte 53x
    Callaway GBB 3w 14* Mitsu Blueboard 63x
    Ping G400 5w 17* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Callaway V-series Hwood Fuji TS 8.2s
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fujikura 904HBs
    Ping Rapture 5-PW Aldila NV MLTi Pro105x
    Ping iWedge 50* Aldila NV 105x
    Ping Glide SS 53* & ES 59* Wrx SF125s
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • Matt JMatt J Members Posts: 8,663 ✭✭
    I'd bet a few of the boys add this one, as well as the Scottish Open.  Really amounts to a lull in the schedule.  Some guys like "playing into shape" in the weeks up to a major.  Wouldn't surprise me if he plays Jack's even at Muirfield too.

After the U.S. Open I don't think I'd play stateside until after the Open Championship. I think I'd take my time crossing the pond, play the Scottish as it's at The Renaissance Club this year, then get over to Portrush in plenty of time to examine the new holes and really get acquainted with the golf course.
  • gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,174 ✭✭
    Flurries in June in Southern Ontario?  Get out of here, it's not Saskatchewan.  Our weather is similar to NYC and Chicago

Hamilton or Ancaster?
    85 and humid - not a chance.  I live just south over the border.
  • c7015c7015 Members Posts: 2,078 ✭✭
    yes how will we all find our way from the igloo to the course 

915 D3 Rip Phenom 70g (S Flex)
    913 FD 3 wood Whiteboard (X Flex)
    915 F 5 wood Blueboard (S Flex)
    712 U 4 Iron | 714 AP2 5 Iron
    714cb 6-PW
    Vokey 52, 56, 60
    SC Newport 2.5
  • Whiskey_fireWhiskey_fire Members Posts: 976 ✭✭
    You USA guys are a joke.  It was 20 the last 2 days in Vancouver.  How warm is it in buffalo or North Dakota or Washington?  Get a grip and learn a bit about the world other then your bubble. 
    Titleist TS3, 9.5, AD DI 6x
    Titleist TS2, 15, AD DI 7x
    Titleist AP2 3-pw, Project X 6.5
    Titleist Vokey 52,56, Project X 6.0
    Taylormade HiToe 60, KBS $taper Black
    Scotty Cameron Squreback 2
  • dropkickeddropkicked Members Posts: 478 ✭✭
    gvogel said:

Hamilton or Ancaster?
    85 and humid - not a chance.  I live just south over the border.
    I'm in Toronto, and will be heading out to the our Open this year. I can assure you it will be at least 20*C + humidity. So I would say that cardoustie is spot on.
    Southern Ontario, has perfect golf weather throughout the summer months.
    You USA guys are a joke.  It was 20 the last 2 days in Vancouver.  How warm is it in buffalo or North Dakota or Washington?  Get a grip and learn a bit about the world other then your bubble. 

Just looked it up.  Average high temperature on June 8 in Hamilton is 69* F.  That's like 19* C?
    It could be warmer than that.  It could also be a good bit colder - and nowhere near as predictable as in July or August.
    By the way, I have spent many parts of my summers in different parts of Canada, and a portion of winters as well.
    Summers: the Canadian Rockies, the Maritimes, South and north Ontario. 
    I'll step back into my bubble now.  Good chance I'll spend a day watching Rory in Ancaster.
  • Whiskey_fireWhiskey_fire Members Posts: 976 ✭✭
    Oh then make sure you bring a parka and a few sled dogs.  You never know right. It is Canada after all.  
    Titleist TS3, 9.5, AD DI 6x
    Titleist TS2, 15, AD DI 7x
    Titleist AP2 3-pw, Project X 6.5
    Titleist Vokey 52,56, Project X 6.0
    Taylormade HiToe 60, KBS $taper Black
    Scotty Cameron Squreback 2
  • dropkickeddropkicked Members Posts: 478 ✭✭
    gvogel said:

Just looked it up.  Average high temperature on June 8 in Hamilton is 69* F.  That's like 19* C?
    It could be warmer than that.  It could also be a good bit colder - and nowhere near as predictable as in July or August.
    By the way, I have spent many parts of my summers in different parts of Canada, and a portion of winters as well.
    Summers: the Canadian Rockies, the Maritimes, South and north Ontario. 
    I'll step back into my bubble now.  Good chance I'll spend a day watching Rory in Ancaster.
    Born and raised in Southern Ontario/Toronto. Almost 5 decades now and I can assure you these temps below are a good indication of weather during that stretch.. Once you tack on the humidex, it can and will be above 22*C easy.

• Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 4,598 ✭✭
    I'm looking forward to seeing Hamilton Golf and Country Club again.

Hopefully, they will have less rain than the 2012 event.
    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings
  • SkeoughSkeough Flip it! Flip it! Posts: 100 ✭✭
    cdnglf said:
    I think you’re overstating the weather risk. It is in Hamilton, not Gander. 
    Love to see them play up at Pippy Park. See how they handle proper winds.
    PGA of Canada Class A -> BC
    Callaway Epic Flash 10.5* -> HZRDDUS Black Smoke 6.5 & Tour AD BB 7X
    Callaway Epic Flash 18* HZRDUS Black Smoke 6.5
    Callaway X Forged UT 18* -> DG TI X100
    Callaway Apex MB 6-PW/ X Forged 4/5 -> DG TI X100
    Callaway MD4 50S/56X/60C -> DG IT S400
    Toulon Design San Diago
    Chrome Soft X
    Oh then make sure you bring a parka and a few sled dogs.  You never know right. It is Canada after all.  

I'll be packing an Arc'teryx jacket appropriate for the conditions!
  • ebrasmus21ebrasmus21 Serial Shanker Members Posts: 5,179 ✭✭
    gvogel said:

I'll be packing an Arc'teryx jacket appropriate for the conditions!
    I love Canadians. 
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
    21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
    4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
    50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
  • agolf1agolf1 Members Posts: 679 ✭✭
    After the Masters I thought a lot of the big names may just play Wells Fargo, PGA, Memorial, U.S. Open, and then head across the pond.  Everyone is different but as you get older I'm not sure playing 3 weeks in a row (last week being a major) is the best decision.  Of course, if you want to play the week before a major this forces you to play 3 in a row or skip one of the "better" regular tournaments.
    Titleist 910 D2 11.25*, Diamana Ilima R-Flex (tipped 1')
    Callaway X Hot Pro 19* Fairway, Project X Velocity 6.0
    TaylorMade Raylor 22*, Raylor RE*AX S-Flex
    Ping G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    Ping Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
  • tideridertiderider Members Posts: 1,477 ✭✭
    i think the wgc in memphis will suffer a bit ... the week after the Open, in memphis, where it's hot as ****, among other negatives ... 
  • OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Members Posts: 2,084 ClubWRX
    Maybe it's just as simple as he intends to play the week before a major.
    Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Titleist Pro V 1x
  • GolfjackGolfjack All about the rotation Posts: 944 ✭✭
    MtlJeff said:
    June in Canada? Rory is a brave man. I remember a few years back I went out for a round of golf, and ended up eating my entire foursome when I was stranded in a snow squall and had no access to food or electricity for days. 
    Another time I had to use a snapped-in-half 9 iron to stab a family of wolves that was stalking me

9 iron?  must have been some small wolves.   Also funny and polite like most Canadiens.  

TM M4 Driver 10.5
    TM M4 3 wood 16
    4H (22) Aeroburner TP
    Mizuno MP-15 4, 5 iron, Project X LZ 6.5
    Mizuno MP-5 6-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
    Wedges Mizuno T7 50, 56, 60
    Honma HP 1002

Alternate set:
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9.5, Nike VR Pro 4-PW DG x100, Titleist AP2 712 DG x100 4-P, Callaway Jaws X Series CC Wedges 52 56 60, , Odyssey Arm Lock Putter, Gauge Design Eldik Putter with Superstroke Fatso 5
  • rgk5rgk5 rgk5(OLB) Members Posts: 3,526 ✭✭
    gvogel said:
    I find this surprising for two reasons.  It is the week before the US Open at Pebble.  It is also the first week in June in Canada.  The weather could be frightful.
    As a matter of fact, when I saw that the Canadian Open had been moved to the week before the US Open, and the first week in June, I figured that none of the big names would play.  Heck, I have played in snow flurries in the first week in June in Canada.
    On the other hand, he and the Mrs. will have a chance to drop by her family in Rochester.
    I live two miles from the course.  In June it will be 70-82 degrees.  Learn some basic N. American geography and climatology.
    Cobra F8+ 10.5*, Mitsubishi Grand Bassara 39 R

Cobra F8 3-4 wood 15.5*, VA Composites Raijin 44 R

Ping G400 hybrids 19*, 22*, Alta 70 R

Cobra F7 5-GW, R flex steel
    Ping Glide 1.0 55*, CFS Wedge flex

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 58*, Alta 70 R

Ping Zing 2 TR 34", Rosemark grip
  • agolf1agolf1 Members Posts: 679 ✭✭
    tiderider said:
    i think the wgc in memphis will suffer a bit ... the week after the Open, in memphis, where it's hot as ****, among other negatives ... 
    I would also guess that the Memphis WGC is going to suffer.  Interested to see who actually shows up.
    I think the WGCs are getting a little bit odd.  The Mexico course gets some questions (so short at that altitude), Memphis is right after the Open (not sure if it will be like this every year), and Shanghai is in a period where a fair number of players aren't going to tee it up.  Then, there's the Match Play, which I guess can create some interesting head-to-head matches but it's otherwise a format that isn't used on tour.
    These tournaments still probably have some add'l prestige for the players.  However, I don't find any of the venues/courses particularly noteworthy, and can think of other regular tournaments I'd rather watch.
    Titleist 910 D2 11.25*, Diamana Ilima R-Flex (tipped 1')
    Callaway X Hot Pro 19* Fairway, Project X Velocity 6.0
    TaylorMade Raylor 22*, Raylor RE*AX S-Flex
    Ping G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    Ping Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    rgk5 said:
    gvogel said:
    I live two miles from the course.  In June it will be 70-82 degrees.  Learn some basic N. American geography and climatology.
    I live 70 miles from the course.  It could also be 55* and rainy.  We'll see.
  • BTOBTO Members Posts: 377 ✭✭
    Just found this out last night after playing 18 London On. (not a typo :-) ) Super pumped as my daughter got me tickets for my birthday. I've heard so much about Hamilton being an old style course so can't wait specially  now Rory is on board. Been to Glen Abbey several times so this will be a welcome change.
    Callaway Rogue 9.0, Speeder 565 stiff & Fuji 62g. stiff

Cobra f8 3/4, Aldila 70g. Reg.

Tour Edge Exotics xcg5, 19*, 75g. Blur stiff

Srixon 785, 4-pw, N.S. pro modus3 120 stiff

Titleist sm7 50-14 F, 54-14 F, 58-12 D wedge flex

Toulon Garage Latrobe 35"
    2011 Bettinardi ss6 35" (my baby I will be buried with)
    Wilson 8802 35"
    Ray Cook Blue Goose 35.6"
    2017 Bettinardi ss6 35"
    Cleveland designed by BeNi 35"
    Tad Moore Tour Classic 35" copper insert

where did you play in London this early?

714cb 6-PW
    Vokey 52, 56, 60
    SC Newport 2.5
  • BTOBTO Members Posts: 377 ✭✭

C7015, Tarandoah on wed. (Chum played same Tues) and we played Carodoc Sands on Thurs. Both courses just outside London. Pine Knot in Dorchester also open.

Callaway Rogue 9.0, Speeder 565 stiff & Fuji 62g. stiff

Cobra f8 3/4, Aldila 70g. Reg.

Tour Edge Exotics xcg5, 19*, 75g. Blur stiff

Srixon 785, 4-pw, N.S. pro modus3 120 stiff

Titleist sm7 50-14 F, 54-14 F, 58-12 D wedge flex

Toulon Garage Latrobe 35"
    2011 Bettinardi ss6 35" (my baby I will be buried with)
    Wilson 8802 35"
    Ray Cook Blue Goose 35.6"
    2017 Bettinardi ss6 35"
    Cleveland designed by BeNi 35"
    Tad Moore Tour Classic 35" copper insert

Sweet didn't know tarandowah was open...

714cb 6-PW
    Vokey 52, 56, 60
    SC Newport 2.5
  • TasalsTasals Posts: 281 ✭✭

Im just happy its not at Glen Abbey. I hate that course, I play it a bunch, but man do I hate it. Will be interesting to see Hamilton, I havent played there since they lost all their greens and closed the course for the season a few years ago.

• KrazyTrain18KrazyTrain18 Members Posts: 3,148 ✭✭

I think once Bridgestone got axed, the WGCs have really dropped a tier. Mexico is probably the strongest one now and I think we're going to see the rest of them degrade over the coming years with the new schedule.

915D3 9.5 (GD-DI 6S Black Edition)
    910F 15 (Diamana Kai'li 75S)
    712U 2I (DG S300)
    714 AP2 4-W (DG S300)
    SM6 (50-54-58) (DG S200)
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 (Studio Select)
    TP5
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 4,598 ✭✭

@agolf1 said:
    tiderider said:

I would also guess that the Memphis WGC is going to suffer.  Interested to see who actually shows up.

I think the WGCs are getting a little bit odd.  The Mexico course gets some questions (so short at that altitude), Memphis is right after the Open (not sure if it will be like this every year), and Shanghai is in a period where a fair number of players aren't going to tee it up.  Then, there's the Match Play, which I guess can create some interesting head-to-head matches but it's otherwise a format that isn't used on tour.

These tournaments still probably have some add'l prestige for the players.  However, I don't find any of the venues/courses particularly noteworthy, and can think of other regular tournaments I'd rather watch.

One reason to not expect it to lose too much is that it is sponsored by FedEx. The players will be "encouraged" by the PGA Tour to show up and make FedEx happy. I think those that are not in the FedEx Cup will be the ones to skip it.

In a better world, they'd move the current WGC Memphis to the week BEFORE the British Open and alternately play it in Ireland or Scotland. Everyone comes over and gets used to the time change and Europe gets a WGC. I'd like to see the WGC Match Play move to between The Masters and PGA. Maybe it could flip dates with the New Orleans team event.

swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings