Oglebay resort question, Wheeling WV

train5171train5171 Members Posts: 9 ✭✭
I will be spending the first weekend of April there and playing 2 rounds.  I was wondering what others thought of the courses.

Comments

• OcgolfrickOcgolfrick Members Posts: 1,549 ✭✭
    The course by the resort, Crispin is fun- but nowhere near as good as the Jones and Palmer course.  We played Jones and it was in great shape, but most of the West Virginia locals play the Palmer course- when we had beers in the clubhouse we were talking to some and they said the Palmer is better as it is nowhere near as tight as the Jones course and you can spray the ball more.  I played Crispin the year before and it was fairly empty, and the views of the resort are great on it.
    Hive Tour Titles: 0
    Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
    Suck it, Ceejay.
  • train5171train5171 Members Posts: 9 ✭✭
    The course by the resort, Crispin is fun- but nowhere near as good as the Jones and Palmer course.  We played Jones and it was in great shape, but most of the West Virginia locals play the Palmer course- when we had beers in the clubhouse we were talking to some and they said the Palmer is better as it is nowhere near as tight as the Jones course and you can spray the ball more.  I played Crispin the year before and it was fairly empty, and the views of the resort are great on it.
    Thanks for the information.  My wife booked this trip for my birthday.  She has rounds set up for the Palmer and Crispin courses.  They have to be better than the never ending cold temps and rain here in Indy.
  • train5171train5171 Members Posts: 9 ✭✭

Got back from my weekend golf trip yesterday, so I figured I’d give a brief recap and opinions on the courses.

I played the Palmer course first on Saturday after driving from Indianapolis. The course was in real good condition with generous green complexes. But it plays like a resort course with wide fairways and the greens rolled with a medium speed.

On Sunday I played the Jones course and it’s a totally different animal than the Palmer course. The fairways are much tighter and far more sloping. I personally don’t think they were in as good of condition as the fairways on the Palmer course. Now that by no means is saying that they were in bad shape because they were in good shape. The greens are smaller, firmer and faster, so that made for a tough day putting.

• howellhandmadehowellhandmade Members Posts: 718 ✭✭

My wife and I played the Jones course last summer. We were going to play both courses but conditions were very wet, and our round was frustratingly slow, so when the weather looked nasty the next day we drove home. It was a nice family time otherwise, but the golf was mostly sitting and waiting and we have no plans to go back. While a resort may, understandably, need to turn a certain number of rounds besides those played by guests to stay in business, it should take care to provide a decent golf experience for guests if it expects those guests to return.

• wobgonwobgon Members Posts: 7,467 ✭✭

Want to make a lot of birdies, play the Palmer course. want a real challenge, play the Jones course from the tips. Want to play a short course and tell your friends what you shot, play Crispin.