Grip tape and temperture ?

Might seem like an off the wall question, but can/does temperature play a roll in how quickly grip tape dries up? Reason I ask, is lately every time I try to put a grip on, it goes about half way before it starts to grab and then its a race to try and get it all the way on and set. Been using the standard grip tape from golfworks that I have always used, using plenty of Mineral spirits, which is what I have used for 20yrs when changing grips..full grips worth and even spraying the tape also but it just seems like all of a sudden every grip becomes an absolute chore to get on. These are mostly .58 grips going on .600 butt shafts, sometimes .60 grips on slightly larger butt diameter shafts, even putter grips have been an issue lately. 

I do all of this in my garage at my work bench, its been winter so its cooler in the garage...not sure if/how much that plays in to it.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Driver: Tour Issue 8.5* Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond w/ Diamana DF 70X
3 Wood: 2016 Tour Issue Taylormade M2 w/ Tensei Pro Blue 70TX
Hybrid: Gen. 2 PXG 0317X 17* w/ HC Project X Even Flow Black 85g 6.5
Irons: Taylormade UDI 3 iron w/ Project X Hzrdus Black 105g 6.5
Ping iBlades-Orange Dot - 4-PW w/ Project X 6.5
Wedges: Vokey SM7 RAW 52-58 w/Project X 6.0
Putter: Custom made Slighter Prototype
Spider X 

Short games don't matter if you hit better approach shots

Comments

• JoePeteJoePete Members Posts: 15 ✭✭
    adam2883 said:
    lately every time I try to put a grip on, it goes about half way before it starts to grab and then its a race to try and get it all the way on and set. 
    I think it is more likely that temperature is affecting the grip. It's rubber, it's less pliable. Those plastic regripping tools (looks kind of like a funnel that's been sliced) might help.
  • Adam CAdam C Members Posts: 237 ✭✭
    JoePete said:
    adam2883 said:
    lately every time I try to put a grip on, it goes about half way before it starts to grab and then its a race to try and get it all the way on and set. 
    I think it is more likely that temperature is affecting the grip. It's rubber, it's less pliable. Those plastic regripping tools (looks kind of like a funnel that's been sliced) might help.
    Bingo. The cold rubber won't stretch and expand as much, and this will be more of an issue with .580 grips as you have more material to start with and more stretching that must occur. Keep those grips inside your house until the moment you're ready to install them.
  • bradskibradski Members Posts: 2,319 ✭✭
    I would also add that some grip tape is much better than others and I have two different ones from golf works and one dries up quickly like you mentioned.
  • radimanradiman Members Posts: 4,633 ✭✭
    I bought a kit of water soluble grip tape by mistake.  It took a couple of clubs before I finally went to the package to check it out.  You want to talk about a chore.  Just to be safe, I regripped the clubs that I had already done.  The tape was ripped and balled up all over under the grip.  I put them on using mineral spirits like I always do.  Won't make that mistake again!
    Callaway Epic Flash 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
    Titleist 917 F3 15* Tensei Pro Blue 70 TX
    Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
    Taylormade Spider X Navy/White 35"
    Callaway MD3 54, 60, 64
    All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag
  • adam2883adam2883 Posts: 237 ✭✭
    Thanks guys for the feedback, the grips have always been in the house but have been in the room over the garage and it does get cooler up there. Will bring them and the tape to the main part of the house for a bit and try regripping a couple inside, see if anything changes. Trying a few grips out to see if I want to make the change to the whole set. 
    Spider X 

• cristphotocristphoto Members Posts: 3,296 ✭✭
    Its possible you got some bad Mineral Spirits.  I've used the same brand of odor free mineral spirits for the past few years. I just got a new can last week since I was regripping a couple clubs.  Same grips and tape and technique I always use (I've done this for years and know what I'm doing). The grips would go on about half way and I would have to push like crazy to get them on the entire way. Problem had to be the solvent. Plus has anyone else noticed how the price on mineral spirits had jumped recently?
  • radimanradiman Members Posts: 4,633 ✭✭
    cristphoto said: 
    Its possible you got some bad Mineral Spirits.  I've used the same brand of odor free mineral spirits for the past few years. I just got a new can last week since I was regripping a couple clubs.  Same grips and tape and technique I always use (I've done this for years and know what I'm doing). The grips would go on about half way and I would have to push like crazy to get them on the entire way. Problem had to be the solvent. Plus has anyone else noticed how the price on mineral spirits had jumped recently?
    I buy a jug once every 3 years or so. Just picked a new one up about a month back. Don't remember what the prices were before though.
    Callaway Epic Flash 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
    Titleist 917 F3 15* Tensei Pro Blue 70 TX
    Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
    Taylormade Spider X Navy/White 35"
    Callaway MD3 54, 60, 64
    All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag
    This is my hope, it’s a different brand than the metal can I usually get from Home Depot. Came in the house tonight with the grips, tape(new roll), solvent and did it. Took 30mins to get a putter grip(Ping black out) and a GP grip on the driver, both which I was barely able to get on without breaking the shaft. Neither grip were even half way on before they were stopping. Even had the wife chip in on the driver and keep pouring solvent over the tape as I was trying to push/pull it on. Just never seen the tape almost dry up so quickly. 

Im going to go buy some new mineral spirit tomorrow, cause at this rate it will take me a week to change the grips on my irons ha
    Spider X 

• SocratesSocrates How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn? WinnipegClubWRX Posts: 9,171 ClubWRX
    adam2883 said:
    This is my hope, it’s a different brand than the metal can I usually get from Home Depot. Came in the house tonight with the grips, tape(new roll), solvent and did it. Took 30mins to get a putter grip(Ping black out) and a GP grip on the driver, both which I was barely able to get on without breaking the shaft. Neither grip were even half way on before they were stopping. Even had the wife chip in on the driver and keep pouring solvent over the tape as I was trying to push/pull it on. Just never seen the tape almost dry up so quickly. 

Im going to go buy some new mineral spirit tomorrow, cause at this rate it will take me a week to change the grips on my irons ha
    That is the answer.  There are some new products out there that do not work well with regripping.  Try to find the same stuff you used to use.
    Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Vokey SM2 52º cc
    Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
    Scotty X7M Dual 38"
    MCC Align Midsize
  • Albatross85Albatross85 Tiger is the GOAT St. Louis, MOMembers Posts: 2,831 ✭✭

Bramptons solvent is honestly the best stuff on earth, it takes a little longer to dry (about 2 hours) but i never have any issues whatsoever.

BTW, odorless mineral spirits is ****, buy the real stuff. The white milky stuff is useless for golf grips.

Titleist TS3 8.5* ............................Tensei Pro White 70TX proto 44.5" D5
    Titleist TS2 15.75* .......................Tensei Pro White 80TX proto 42.5" D4
    Mizuno MP18 Fli-Hi #2 17.5* Handcrafted HZRDUS 105 6.5 39.75" D2
    Titleist 712U 4 iron ....................C-taper S+ 125 D2
    Wilson FG Tour V6 5-P .............PX LZ 6.5 +3/8" D3.5 off 46* PW
    SM6 50.12F ...................................PX LZ 6.5 + 3/8"" D5
    Mizuno T7 55.09 .........................PX LZ 6.5 35.5" D6
    Mizuno T7 60.10 .........................Tour Issue Onyx S400 35.5" D6
    Odyssey Tour Only Jailbird Mini Versa BWB Plumbers Neck WHP insert
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

@Albatross85 said:
    Bramptons solvent is honestly the best stuff on earth, it takes a little longer to dry (about 2 hours) but i never have any issues whatsoever.

BTW, odorless mineral spirits is ****, buy the real stuff. The white milky stuff is useless for golf grips.

What I have is klean strip odorless mineral spirit, it’s clear and have always used the clear stuff. I’m going to look for something different tomorrow, this is what I have always bought and used but it was always in a metal can, the current stuff is in a plastic jug, appears to be the same. Maybe it was low odor that I always used.

Spider X 

• donodono Members Posts: 72 ✭✭

@adam2883 said:
    cristphoto said:

Timely topic, exactly same thing happened to me. Same grips, Tour Grip 2G undersize, same clubs, same tape, new solvent same brand that I have been using for 20 years, Sterling Thin-X orderless. I could barely get the grips on. First one stuck half way. I had the solvent dripping off of the tape and could barely finish, really struggling. The temperature in the basement 63º F. This is the first year I have had this issue. I think I will try a different solvent?

• farmerfarmer Members Posts: 7,779 ✭✭

If you have room, air is the way to go. Even a little air compressor will do the job.