Were the Ping i e1 a dud?

balls_deepballs_deep Members Posts: 470 ✭✭
So after a very unsuccessful venture into AP2 and some other models I'm thinking of going back to my comfort zone in Ping. I had the i200 last summer and played them really well. They covered up my swing flaws well as a newer golfer and helped me break into the 70s quite a few times. Since switching to different clubs I haven't been able to replicate that success. I shouldn't have gotten rid of them. Had them with the KBS tour stiff and they worked great. I'm selling my 718 AP2 for a cool profit and have found a set of i e1 with KBS tour in the for very very cheap. They're a little bit rough around the edges but for what is essentially just the price of shafts I can pick them up. Seems like they got replaced pretty quickly and they didn't get much love probably because of looks. How similar are they to i200/i210? If they're close to the same clubs I think I could be grabbing a very good deal. Thoughts on these clubs? Were they good and just lacking a bit of shelf appeal?
Titleist 915D2 10.5 w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60S
Titleist 917F2 16.5 w/ Aldila Rogue Black 70S
Titleist 816H1 20* and 24* w/ Accra FX200H M4
Titleist AP2 718 4-PW w/ DG AMT Tour White S300
Vokey SM7 50F.8, 54S.10, 58D.12 S200
Bettinardi Kuchar Model 1 Armlock 42"
Pro V1x

Comments

• DrudershDrudersh ClubWRX Posts: 2,902 ClubWRX
    edited Mar 22, 2019 1:48am #2
    Better than i200. Lower spin, longer, better trajectory control. i200 felt a little softer but that’s about the only aspect where they better than i E1. In terms of sales, i200 were actually a dud for Ping. 
    Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
    Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
    Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
    Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
    Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
    Odyssey Versa 2-Ball
  • NessismNessism To measure is to know... Members Posts: 18,185 ✭✭
    ie1 was raw stainless unlike the other i irons that came before and after.  Some people like that and others don't.  They play just fine in my experience.  Hard to go wrong with Ping i's of any version.
    Ping G400 driver w/Adila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
    TEE XCG6 3 & 5 fairway woods & Srizon U85 3U
    Ping G25, G410, or i200 irons (depending on mood)
    Ping Glide 50/55/60 wedges 
    Ping Anser putter - the "real deal!"
  • TroutflyTroutfly Members Posts: 234 ✭✭
    Nope, had ie's for a year. True for about any of the i versions,  performers not lookers... 
  • agolf1agolf1 Members Posts: 676 ✭✭
    Didn't you just pickup the 718s like two weeks ago?🤣. Ping irons are great, I will likely never stray away.
    Titleist 910 D2 11.25*, Diamana Ilima R-Flex (tipped 1')
    Callaway X Hot Pro 19* Fairway, Project X Velocity 6.0
    TaylorMade Raylor 22*, Raylor RE*AX S-Flex
    Ping G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    Ping Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
  • MattMoMattMo Members Posts: 2,366 ✭✭
    edited Mar 22, 2019 2:45am #6
    Going on year 3 for me.  As an 8 hdcp with so-so iron play, the i-series fits me perfectly.  Coming from the G25’s, they offer a great blend of feel, forgiveness, playability and looks.  Cast from the same material as the i200 and i210, they have a similar feel, IMO.  People rag on their looks and I really don’t get it.  They may not look as nice as the newer i210s, but they look better than the i20’s and 125’s, IMO. 
    Ping G400 Max 10.5* w/ Rogue Black
    Ping G25 4W w/ TFC
    Ping G25 20* Hybrid w/ TFC
    Ping ie1 4-U w/ CFS
    Ping Glide 54* WS
    Ping Glide Stealth 58* ES
    Ping BeNi Scottsdale Anser
  • balls_deepballs_deep Members Posts: 470 ✭✭
    agolf1 said:
    Didn't you just pickup the 718s like two weeks ago?🤣. Ping irons are great, I will likely never stray away.
    I did. To be honest, I've played 5 rounds with them now and played 20 rounds with the 716 same shaft and I'm realizing that either the shaft is an awful fit or it's just too much club for me. I'm overspinning them, dispersion is awful and I find I have to forward press a ton to get any distance. The 5 and 6 iron are both coming backwards after landing. Just not a good fit for me. I'm also buying a house so having $150 out for some semi beat up Ping i's vs $850 for a brand new set of ill fitting AP2 makes more sense to me. 
    Pro V1x
  • agolf1agolf1 Members Posts: 676 ✭✭
    agolf1 said:
    I did. To be honest, I've played 5 rounds with them now and played 20 rounds with the 716 same shaft and I'm realizing that either the shaft is an awful fit or it's just too much club for me. I'm overspinning them, dispersion is awful and I find I have to forward press a ton to get any distance. The 5 and 6 iron are both coming backwards after landing. Just not a good fit for me. I'm also buying a house so having $150 out for some semi beat up Ping i's vs $850 for a brand new set of ill fitting AP2 makes more sense to me. 
    Wow, really good deal on the Pings.  Tough to break the all Titleist bag though (rest of the setup looks great).
    I've never hit the AMT White, but I feel like they are probably too heavy for me (better than DGS300 given the lighter long irons).  I am interested to hit some of these more player's irons (i200/210, AP2 or CB) with the DG 105 shafts.   I have a hunch that those clubheads with light shafts may work ok for me, but so far I haven't had a chance.  Anyways, good luck with the Pings and the house.
    Titleist 910 D2 11.25*, Diamana Ilima R-Flex (tipped 1')
    Callaway X Hot Pro 19* Fairway, Project X Velocity 6.0
    TaylorMade Raylor 22*, Raylor RE*AX S-Flex
    Ping G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    Ping Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
  • NeverfazeNeverfaze Posts: 867 ✭✭
    I just got a set of I E1 brand new for $400 from a local shop. 4-pw/gw with PX in them. They aren't pretty, but they just flat out work. I wanted i210s but couldn't justify the price difference. Most people here tend to agree I series irons all play pretty similar, and that's really what swayed my decision. I haven't played a ping iron since the S57s , and these are a nice surprise. I typically play player cb forged irons, so going to a cast mid range iron was hard to do initially (I purchased them without hitting them). After two rounds, I don't even think about the progressive offset of anything, they just plain work.
  • jecarnljecarnl Posts: 92 ✭✭
    They are really good irons, but as others have said they just don't look as good as they perform. 
  • gentlesgentles Members Posts: 1,842 ✭✭
    As a few others have alluded to I think the finish and design of these irons were what makes them a dud. They changed the finish, font, color scheme, naming convention, from the i25, and then changed most of it again for the i200...meaning that they seem out of place.
    Taylormade 2016 M2 10.5 Aldila Tour Blue 75x
    Taylormade 2016 M2 DF 3hl Aldila Tour Blue 85x
    Callaway Apex 20* Aldila Tour Blue 85x
    Taylormade RSI UDI 4i DG AMT x100
    Taylormade P770 5-P DG AMT x100
    Ping Glide 51,55, 59 DG S400
    Ping Anser Milled 5

On the bench/testing: G400 LST, Callaway 3deep, Cobra LTD 3-4, Callaway Apex 23*, UDI 2 and 3 irons, Ping Glide 53, PM Grind 64
  • SilverBulletsSilverBullets BMW Members Posts: 5,878 ✭✭

From a performance perspective, I thought the iE1 was one of the better irons Ping has produced. Yeah they look kind of ugly and the finish on them isn't ****, but man do they perform. While the i200 and i210 look incredible, I didn't find them to be anywhere near as good as the iE1s.
    Now my experience was solely through multiple fittings and hitting them on a sim (both indoor and outdoor) but I honestly shocked by how much better I thought the iE1 was than the i200.

Taylormade M6 10.5* - HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5
    Taylormade '16 M2 15*
    Titleist 816h 21*
    Callaway Apex 4i thru PW - Nippon Modus 125 Tour X
    Vokey SM6 50*, 54*, 58*
    Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No. 2 - Scotty Custom Shop
  • DrudershDrudersh ClubWRX Posts: 2,902 ClubWRX

I've owned two sets of i200's and have gone back to i E1 both times. i200 wasn't a bad iron, it just wasn't as good as i E1. I won't say I'm surprised but rather that I'm impressed by how many sets of i E1's I see in people's bags.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
    Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
    Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
    Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
    Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
    Odyssey Versa 2-Ball
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 11,604 ✭✭

under rated iron, they are solid !

Ping G400 LST 11* Mitsu TI BB Matte 53x
    Callaway GBB 3w 14* Mitsu Blueboard 63x
    Ping G400 5w 17* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Callaway V-series Hwood Fuji TS 8.2s
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fujikura 904HBs
    Ping Rapture 5-PW Aldila NV MLTi Pro105x
    Ping iWedge 50* Aldila NV 105x
    Ping Glide SS 53* & ES 59* Wrx SF125s
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • stormbringerstormbringer Stormbringer UtahMembers Posts: 48 ✭✭

I guess I'm in the minority but I like the looks of the IE1 over the I200/210. I think feel if similar but I like the way the sole does not look like **** quickly like the next two versions (IMO). I also like the way the dark face frames the ball.

Driver  G400 Max 9.75 Ping Tour 65 Stiff
    3 Wood  Rapture 13 Ping TFC 949 Stiff
    5 Wood  Mashie 18 Miyazaki C Kua Stiff
    Hybrid  Karsten 4 Hybrid Ping KS 401 Stiff
    Irons   IE1 4-U Red Dot KBS Tour 105 X
    Wedges Ping Tour S 54-12 DG Wedge, Ping Tour S 60-10 KBS Wedge
    Putter Bobby Grace A** Kicker Putter 37" Super Stroke Plus XL Counter Balanced
    Ball  Taylormade TP5
  • uglandeuglande Posts: 125 ✭✭

I really liked the IE1. Really hit the sweet spot in terms of forgiveness, sole wide, offset. I thought they felt nice, too. Honestly, I think the reason they didn't take off was because of the cosmetics. The design and color scheme was a bit dull and so they didn't have much shelf appeal. The iBlades also came out not long afterward, and they stole some of the IE1 thunder.
    But they are definitely a very solid set of irons, IMO. (BTW, I actually used a paint stripped to remove the light blue color on the badging, which created an all grey/silver look that was pretty cool. Something to consider if they are already used clubs and you don't care for the coloring).

Wood (7.75) TITLEIST TS3 - Mitsubishi Diamana White LTD
    Wood (13.5) TITLEIST TS3 - Mitsubishi Diamana White LTD
    Iron (17.0) TAYLORMADE P790 - Accra TZX
    Iron (21.0) TAYLORMADE P790 - Project X
    Iron (23.5) TAYLORMADE P790 - Project X
    Iron (26.5) TAYLORMADE P790 - Project X
    Iron (30.5) TAYLORMADE P790 - Project X
    Iron (35.0) TAYLORMADE P790 - Project X
    Iron (40.0) TAYLORMADE P790 - Project X
    Wedge (45.0) VOKEY SM7-F - Dynamic Gold
    Wedge (50.0) VOKEY SM7-F - Dynamic Gold
    Wedge (54.0) VOKEY SM7-S - Dynamic Gold
    Wedge (60.0) VOKEY SM7-D - Dynamic Gold
    Putter SCOTTY CAMERON Bullseye Flange (ACIII)
    Ball TITLEIST ProV1x
  • balls_deepballs_deep Members Posts: 470 ✭✭

Wow very cool! You just used a bit of paint thinner to take it off? Easy enough? They have a bit of rust spotting on the back but I'm just going to slap some lead tape on them and call it a day. Would be cool to remove the blue if it's scratched up. I think they'll work well. They're yellow dot and I prefer black, it's very cool that Ping will adjust lie for free. Such a good company.

Pro V1x
  • CDLgolfCDLgolf Members Posts: 828 ✭✭

Not sure if they were a dud or not but I have played several G and i irons and my favorite has been the ie1.
    Look, feel, and performance are perfect for me.

Cobra F8
    Ping G25 3 wood
    Ping G25 20 & 23 hybrid G30 26 hybrid
    Ping i e1 6- uw
    Ping Tour Gorge 56 & 60
    Odyssey
  • eldog-in-the-hizouseeldog-in-the-hizouse Members Posts: 952 ✭✭

They are a very solid club, and I think they are easier to hit than the AP2s. I'm not sure how different they perform than the i200s.

• NessismNessism To measure is to know... Members Posts: 18,185 ✭✭

@balls_deep said:
    They're yellow dot and I prefer black, it's very cool that Ping will adjust lie for free. Such a good company.

Not sure about this part. They charge to adjust from what people here report unless you are a walk-in at their shop in AZ.

Ping G400 driver w/Adila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
    TEE XCG6 3 & 5 fairway woods & Srizon U85 3U
    Ping G25, G410, or i200 irons (depending on mood)
    Ping Glide 50/55/60 wedges 
    Ping Anser putter - the "real deal!"
  • lil'mikelil'mike Members Posts: 1,264 ✭✭

@Nessism said:

@balls_deep said:
    They're yellow dot and I prefer black, it's very cool that Ping will adjust lie for free. Such a good company.

Not sure about this part. They charge to adjust from what people here report unless you are a walk-in at their shop in AZ.

I don't think they actually charge you for the color code change unless the set is an older set but you do have to pay shipping both ways!

• juggernaut0629juggernaut0629 Members Posts: 968 ✭✭

I played the ie for a season. Then went to iblades for a short stint. The ease of hitting the ie is just too easy to pass up. So I sold the iblades & went back to the ie1. If ping came up with an iron that looks like the iblade but has the forgiveness & are super easy to hit like the ie1....sign me up!

Ping G LST 9*
    Callaway Epic 3w & 5w Diamana Thump
    X2 Hot #4 Hybrid Matrix White Tie
    Ping ie1 5 - GW Nippon SPO
    Cleveland RTX-3 54* 58*
  • outnumberedoutnumbered Members Posts: 21 ✭✭

Picked up a used set of E1s on the bay last month as a potential replacement to my 17 yr old Mizunos. One range session so far on trackman seems to prove it was a positive move, but glad to hear others high opinion of the clubs. They are a departure in terms of feel, but I like the changes I saw in terms of flight and forgiveness. Hopefully they will perform as well or better on turf. Shaft change from Rifle flighted 6.0 to Modus 105 could be significant part of flight profile difference, but it is nice to see the apex and spin numbers on slight mishits that only happened with perfect stikes with my Mizzys. Will update my experience after a few rounds on grass but I have no reason to believe that it won’t be just as positive as others before me.

• kess13kess13 So I just put the ball in the hole... Members Posts: 1,278 ✭✭

I played them for a bit. I thought they felt great when you hit them in the center, just like most any iron. I actually ordered their look over the i200’s and much easier to look down at vs the g25’s I had. They were very forgiving as well. In the end, the sole didn’t work for me so I moved on. Great irons for the right person though.

Bio Cell
    F6 baffler
    MP54
    T7/eye2XG Lob
    Mills Ming
  • LaymanMLaymanM Cincinnati, OHMembers Posts: 2,076 ✭✭

Ei1 are my favorite I series from PING. Very playable and feel good. People complained about the finish. I just had the wrong shaft in my set and wanted something a little newer. Very nice iron

PING G400 Max 9*, Adidla Rogue Max 75x
    Callaway 815 Alpha 3W and 5W Speeder 665 stiff
    Srixon U65 4, Modus 105s
    Srixon Z785 5-PW Modus 120s
    Edel DVR 50, s200
    SM7 54F / 58K
    SC Studio Style Newport 2
  • gbartkogbartko Whooooo! Members Posts: 638 ✭✭

I still have mine. I feel like they were like an improved version of the i5. The long irons are really easy to hit and the U wedge is awesome. Paired with a couple of Glide w/ the ES grind and it's a modern day version of the Ping Eye 2s with better feel. If you are hitting them out of the center they feel as good as anything else.

Ping Rapture 12.5
    TEE CB4 Tour 16.5
    Ping G 19/22
    Ping i E1 5-U
    Ping Glide ES 54.5/60
    Ping iN Half Wack-e