Were the Ping i e1 a dud?

balls_deep ·  
balls_deepballs_deep Wanna earn 14 bucks the hard way? 2129WRX Points: 1,353Handicap: SnowMembers Posts: 2,129 Platinum Tees
So after a very unsuccessful venture into AP2 and some other models I'm thinking of going back to my comfort zone in Ping. I had the i200 last summer and played them really well. They covered up my swing flaws well as a newer golfer and helped me break into the 70s quite a few times. Since switching to different clubs I haven't been able to replicate that success. I shouldn't have gotten rid of them. Had them with the KBS tour stiff and they worked great. I'm selling my 718 AP2 for a cool profit and have found a set of i e1 with KBS tour in the for very very cheap. They're a little bit rough around the edges but for what is essentially just the price of shafts I can pick them up. Seems like they got replaced pretty quickly and they didn't get much love probably because of looks. How similar are they to i200/i210? If they're close to the same clubs I think I could be grabbing a very good deal. Thoughts on these clubs? Were they good and just lacking a bit of shelf appeal?
Posted:

Comments

• DrudershDrudersh  2974WRX Points: 248Handicap: +2ClubWRX Posts: 2,974 ClubWRX
    Better than i200. Lower spin, longer, better trajectory control. i200 felt a little softer but that’s about the only aspect where they better than i E1. In terms of sales, i200 were actually a dud for Ping. 
    Posted:
    Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
    Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
    Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
    Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
    Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
    Odyssey Versa 2-Ball
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • NessismNessism To measure is to know...  19308WRX Points: 1,401Members Posts: 19,308 Titanium Tees
    ie1 was raw stainless unlike the other i irons that came before and after.  Some people like that and others don't.  They play just fine in my experience.  Hard to go wrong with Ping i's of any version.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
    Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
    Ping Glide 55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
    Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"
  • TroutflyTroutfly  259WRX Points: 71Members Posts: 259 Greens
    Nope, had ie's for a year. True for about any of the i versions,  performers not lookers... 
    Posted:
  • agolf1agolf1  1847WRX Points: 1,035Members Posts: 1,847 Platinum Tees
    Didn't you just pickup the 718s like two weeks ago?🤣. Ping irons are great, I will likely never stray away.
    Posted:
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    PING G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    PING Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    PING Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  PING Eye 2+ (58*) or PING Eye 2 XG (60*)
  • MattMoMattMo  2388WRX Points: 130Handicap: 8Members Posts: 2,388 Platinum Tees
    Going on year 3 for me.  As an 8 hdcp with so-so iron play, the i-series fits me perfectly.  Coming from the G25’s, they offer a great blend of feel, forgiveness, playability and looks.  Cast from the same material as the i200 and i210, they have a similar feel, IMO.  People rag on their looks and I really don’t get it.  They may not look as nice as the newer i210s, but they look better than the i20’s and 125’s, IMO. 
    Posted:
    Ping G400 Max 10.5* w/ Rogue Black
    Ping G25 4W w/ TFC
    Ping G25 20* Hybrid w/ TFC
    Ping ie1 4-U w/ CFS
    Ping Glide 54* WS
    Ping Glide Stealth 58* ES
    Ping BeNi Scottsdale Anser
  • balls_deepballs_deep Wanna earn 14 bucks the hard way? 2129WRX Points: 1,353Handicap: SnowMembers Posts: 2,129 Platinum Tees
    agolf1 said:
    Didn't you just pickup the 718s like two weeks ago?🤣. Ping irons are great, I will likely never stray away.
    I did. To be honest, I've played 5 rounds with them now and played 20 rounds with the 716 same shaft and I'm realizing that either the shaft is an awful fit or it's just too much club for me. I'm overspinning them, dispersion is awful and I find I have to forward press a ton to get any distance. The 5 and 6 iron are both coming backwards after landing. Just not a good fit for me. I'm also buying a house so having $150 out for some semi beat up Ping i's vs $850 for a brand new set of ill fitting AP2 makes more sense to me. 
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • agolf1agolf1  1847WRX Points: 1,035Members Posts: 1,847 Platinum Tees
    agolf1 said:
    I did. To be honest, I've played 5 rounds with them now and played 20 rounds with the 716 same shaft and I'm realizing that either the shaft is an awful fit or it's just too much club for me. I'm overspinning them, dispersion is awful and I find I have to forward press a ton to get any distance. The 5 and 6 iron are both coming backwards after landing. Just not a good fit for me. I'm also buying a house so having $150 out for some semi beat up Ping i's vs $850 for a brand new set of ill fitting AP2 makes more sense to me. 
    Wow, really good deal on the Pings.  Tough to break the all Titleist bag though (rest of the setup looks great).
    I've never hit the AMT White, but I feel like they are probably too heavy for me (better than DGS300 given the lighter long irons).  I am interested to hit some of these more player's irons (i200/210, AP2 or CB) with the DG 105 shafts.   I have a hunch that those clubheads with light shafts may work ok for me, but so far I haven't had a chance.  Anyways, good luck with the Pings and the house.
    Posted:
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    PING G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    PING Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    PING Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  PING Eye 2+ (58*) or PING Eye 2 XG (60*)
  • NeverfazeNeverfaze  878WRX Points: 102Members Posts: 878 Golden Tee
    I just got a set of I E1 brand new for $400 from a local shop. 4-pw/gw with PX in them. They aren't pretty, but they just flat out work. I wanted i210s but couldn't justify the price difference. Most people here tend to agree I series irons all play pretty similar, and that's really what swayed my decision. I haven't played a ping iron since the S57s , and these are a nice surprise. I typically play player cb forged irons, so going to a cast mid range iron was hard to do initially (I purchased them without hitting them). After two rounds, I don't even think about the progressive offset of anything, they just plain work.
    Posted:
  • jecarnljecarnl  100WRX Points: 54Handicap: 3Members Posts: 100 Fairways
    They are really good irons, but as others have said they just don't look as good as they perform. 
    Posted:
  • gentlesgentles  2016WRX Points: 209Members Posts: 2,016 Platinum Tees
    As a few others have alluded to I think the finish and design of these irons were what makes them a dud. They changed the finish, font, color scheme, naming convention, from the i25, and then changed most of it again for the i200...meaning that they seem out of place.
    Posted:
    Mizuno ST190 9.5 Aldila Tour Blue 75x
    Mizuno ST190 TS 15* Aldila Tour Blue 85x
    Titleist u510 2 iron HZRDUS Smoke 90 6.0
    Taylormade UDI 4i AMT x100
    Taylormade P770 5-A DG AMT x100
    Ping Glide 1.0 55/59 S400
    Ping Anser Milled 5 / 0
  • SilverBulletsSilverBullets BMW  5920WRX Points: 201Handicap: 4Members Posts: 5,920 Titanium Tees

From a performance perspective, I thought the iE1 was one of the better irons Ping has produced. Yeah they look kind of ugly and the finish on them isn't ****, but man do they perform. While the i200 and i210 look incredible, I didn't find them to be anywhere near as good as the iE1s.
    Now my experience was solely through multiple fittings and hitting them on a sim (both indoor and outdoor) but I honestly shocked by how much better I thought the iE1 was than the i200.

Posted:
    Taylormade M6 10.5* - HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5
    Taylormade '16 M2 15*
    Titleist 816h 21*
    Callaway Apex 4i thru PW - Nippon Modus 125 Tour X
    Vokey SM6 50*, 54*, 58*
    Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No. 2 - Scotty Custom Shop

Advertisement
  • DrudershDrudersh  2974WRX Points: 248Handicap: +2ClubWRX Posts: 2,974 ClubWRX

I've owned two sets of i200's and have gone back to i E1 both times. i200 wasn't a bad iron, it just wasn't as good as i E1. I won't say I'm surprised but rather that I'm impressed by how many sets of i E1's I see in people's bags.

Posted:
    Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
    Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
    Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
    Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
    Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
    Odyssey Versa 2-Ball
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to Canada 13318WRX Points: 2,189Handicap: 1.6Members Posts: 13,318 Titanium Tees

under rated iron, they are solid !

Posted:

Ping G400 LST 11* GD Pershing 55x
    Ping G400 3w 15.1* Oban Revenge 65x
    Callaway GBB 5w 18* Aldila NVS Pink 85x 
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* GD Tour AD DI 95x
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* GD Tour AD DI 105x
    Mizuno 919T 6 - GW UST 95 Recoil f4 
    Ping Glide SS 54* wrx UST 110 Recoil f4
    Ping Glide ES 59* wrx UST 110 Recoil f4
    Callaway PM grind 64* UST 110 Recoil f4
    Piretti Matera Elite 

'19 Index 0.9 ~ 3.7
  • stormbringerstormbringer Stormbringer Utah 83WRX Points: 77Handicap: 2.9Members Posts: 83 Fairways

I guess I'm in the minority but I like the looks of the IE1 over the I200/210. I think feel if similar but I like the way the sole does not look like crap quickly like the next two versions (IMO). I also like the way the dark face frames the ball.

Posted:
    Driver  G410 Plus 9 Project X Evenflow Black 75 6.0
    3 Wood  Rapture 13.5 Ping TFC 949 Stiff
    5 Wood Ping G410 SFT 18 Fujikura Atmos Tour Black 7S
    Hybrid  Karsten 4 Hybrid Ping KS 401 Stiff
    Irons  Anser 2 Green Dot 5-P Wedge Ping TFC 800I R+
    Wedges  Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 SS 52/12, 56/12 & 60/14 WS Ping AWT Wedge
    Bobby Grace A** Kicker Putter 37" SS Plus XL Counter Balanced
    Ball  Titleist Tour Soft
  • uglandeuglande  352WRX Points: 246Members Posts: 352 Greens

I really liked the IE1. Really hit the sweet spot in terms of forgiveness, sole wide, offset. I thought they felt nice, too. Honestly, I think the reason they didn't take off was because of the cosmetics. The design and color scheme was a bit dull and so they didn't have much shelf appeal. The iBlades also came out not long afterward, and they stole some of the IE1 thunder.
    But they are definitely a very solid set of irons, IMO. (BTW, I actually used a paint stripped to remove the light blue color on the badging, which created an all grey/silver look that was pretty cool. Something to consider if they are already used clubs and you don't care for the coloring).

Posted:
    TM M5 (Hzrdus Yellow 6.5)
    TM OO (Hzrdus Yellow 6.5)
    Titleist U-500 3-4 (Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0)
    Mizuno MP-20 5-PW (Modus3 Tour 120 Stiff)
    Vokey SM8 53D/58M (Modus3 Tour 120 Stiff)
    TM Spider
  • balls_deepballs_deep Wanna earn 14 bucks the hard way? 2129WRX Points: 1,353Handicap: SnowMembers Posts: 2,129 Platinum Tees

Wow very cool! You just used a bit of paint thinner to take it off? Easy enough? They have a bit of rust spotting on the back but I'm just going to slap some lead tape on them and call it a day. Would be cool to remove the blue if it's scratched up. I think they'll work well. They're yellow dot and I prefer black, it's very cool that Ping will adjust lie for free. Such a good company.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • CDLgolfCDLgolf  957WRX Points: 153Members Posts: 957 Golden Tee

Not sure if they were a dud or not but I have played several G and i irons and my favorite has been the ie1.
    Look, feel, and performance are perfect for me.

Posted:
    Cobra F8
    Adams tight lies 2 16*
    Ping G25 20 & 23 hybrid G30 26 hybrid
    Ping i e1 6- uw
    Ping Tour Glide 56 & 60
    Toulon Atlanta
  • eldog-in-the-hizouseeldog-in-the-hizouse  968WRX Points: 98Handicap: +2.3Members Posts: 968 Golden Tee

They are a very solid club, and I think they are easier to hit than the AP2s. I'm not sure how different they perform than the i200s.

Posted:
  • NessismNessism To measure is to know...  19308WRX Points: 1,401Members Posts: 19,308 Titanium Tees

On -, @balls_deep said:

They're yellow dot and I prefer black, it's very cool that Ping will adjust lie for free. Such a good company.

Not sure about this part. They charge to adjust from what people here report unless you are a walk-in at their shop in AZ.

Posted:
    Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
    Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
    Ping Glide 55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
    Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"
  • lil'mikelil'mike  1298WRX Points: 86Members Posts: 1,298 Platinum Tees

On -, @Nessism said:

On -, @balls_deep said:

They're yellow dot and I prefer black, it's very cool that Ping will adjust lie for free. Such a good company.

Not sure about this part. They charge to adjust from what people here report unless you are a walk-in at their shop in AZ.

I don't think they actually charge you for the color code change unless the set is an older set but you do have to pay shipping both ways!

Posted:
  • juggernaut0629juggernaut0629  1066WRX Points: 116Members Posts: 1,066 Platinum Tees

I played the ie for a season. Then went to iblades for a short stint. The ease of hitting the ie is just too easy to pass up. So I sold the iblades & went back to the ie1. If ping came up with an iron that looks like the iblade but has the forgiveness & are super easy to hit like the ie1....sign me up!

Posted:
    Ping G LST 9*
    Callaway Epic 3w & 5w Diamana Thump
    X2 Hot #4 Hybrid Matrix White Tie
    Ping ie1 5 - GW Nippon SPO
    Cleveland RTX-3 54* 58*

Advertisement
  • outnumberedoutnumbered  28WRX Points: 20Handicap: 12Members Posts: 28 Bunkers

Picked up a used set of E1s on the bay last month as a potential replacement to my 17 yr old Mizunos. One range session so far on trackman seems to prove it was a positive move, but glad to hear others high opinion of the clubs. They are a departure in terms of feel, but I like the changes I saw in terms of flight and forgiveness. Hopefully they will perform as well or better on turf. Shaft change from Rifle flighted 6.0 to Modus 105 could be significant part of flight profile difference, but it is nice to see the apex and spin numbers on slight mishits that only happened with perfect stikes with my Mizzys. Will update my experience after a few rounds on grass but I have no reason to believe that it won’t be just as positive as others before me.

Posted:
  • kess13kess13 So I just put the ball in the hole...  1348WRX Points: 135Members Posts: 1,348 Platinum Tees

I played them for a bit. I thought they felt great when you hit them in the center, just like most any iron. I actually ordered their look over the i200’s and much easier to look down at vs the g25’s I had. They were very forgiving as well. In the end, the sole didn’t work for me so I moved on. Great irons for the right person though.

Posted:
    F6 baffler
    MP54
    T7/S18/eye2XG Lob
    Classic #3
  • LaymanMLaymanM Cincinnati, OH 2211WRX Points: 302Handicap: 7Members Posts: 2,211 Platinum Tees

Ei1 are my favorite I series from PING. Very playable and feel good. People complained about the finish. I just had the wrong shaft in my set and wanted something a little newer. Very nice iron

Posted:
    Taylormade M6
    Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
    Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
    Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
    SC Phantom X 5.5
  • gbartkogbartko Whooooo!  668WRX Points: 224Members Posts: 668 Golden Tee

I still have mine. I feel like they were like an improved version of the i5. The long irons are really easy to hit and the U wedge is awesome. Paired with a couple of Glide w/ the ES grind and it's a modern day version of the Ping Eye 2s with better feel. If you are hitting them out of the center they feel as good as anything else.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.