Epic flash sub zero fairway = best fairway of 2019????

2»

Comments

• MobMob Just Another Lefty Members Posts: 3,466 ✭✭

I hit the Epic Flash Subzero 13.5 this past week at the Ely Callaway Performance Center and I was impressed. I tried the Hzrdus Smoke and the GC AD IZ shaft. The AD IZ had better dispersion for me. I have a Rogue Subzero 15 degree that I brought with me, and the EFSZ 3+ was clearly better not just in ball speed and distance, but dispersion as well. I do like the shape of this 3 wood as well. Can't wait for it to be delivered, but not sure how long that part takes.

Epic Flash Subzero with Synergy Black Proto 60TX shaft vs. Cobra F9 Tour length with Synergy Black Proto 65TX
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 degree with GD Tour AD IZ 75 stiff
    Callaway Rogue 2 and 4 hybrid with GD Tour AD IZ 85 stiff hybrid shaft
    TM P790 5-A with Fujikura Pro 95i shaft stiff tour spec
    Callaway Forged 56 degree wedge and PM19 62 degree wedge
    TM Spider X Navy Blue 35 inch with white racing stripe
  • Dan DrakeDan Drake Members Posts: 1,963 ✭✭

It's the best one I've hit this year!

Ok, ok, it's the only 2019 fairway I've hit this year, but it's still the best one I've hit this year!
    (that joke works with my favorite 10 year old son, who happens to be my only 10 year old son, so it must work here as well, right?)

Epic Flash SZ 10.5° w/AD BB
    Epic Flash 15° w/Rogue Max
    X Forged UT 18° & 21° w/PX
    Apex Pro '19 5-A w/PX
    PM Grind 2.0 54° W w/PX & PM Grind 1.0 58° w/DG
    Toulon Austin
    171831.png

I just hit my EFSZ 3+ on the range today for the first time. I was impressed with this 3 wood. Sound and feel are good, much better than the driver. Ball flight was a high penetrating type of flight. The Graphite Design Tour AD IZ is a nice stable shaft and paired well with this head and my swing. I hope to get it on the course soon, but my initial impressions are that this could be a keeper.

Epic Flash Subzero with Synergy Black Proto 60TX shaft vs. Cobra F9 Tour length with Synergy Black Proto 65TX
  • Crooksc17Crooksc17 Members Posts: 768 ✭✭

@Mob said:
    I just hit my EFSZ 3+ on the range today for the first time. I was impressed with this 3 wood. Sound and feel are good, much better than the driver. Ball flight was a high penetrating type of flight. The Graphite Design Tour AD IZ is a nice stable shaft and paired well with this head and my swing. I hope to get it on the course soon, but my initial impressions are that this could be a keeper.

I have the same setup with the 15* head and it is easily the best fairway wood I’ve ever gamed. The most surprising thing to me was how well I have hit it off the deck. A real winner

• t4t3rt4t3r Members Posts: 2,700 ✭✭

Have been demo'ing the SZ and so far it hasn't been for me. Definitely not bad, just not any better than what I've used in overall performance. There is definitely some shaft influence as what I've been testing isn't something that has worked well for me in other heads. On less than flushed shots, I think it's just not spinning enough which is obviously what it's there for, but from all the buzz I had to give it a try. The head shape/profile and sound is excellent though. I did find it performed very well across the face - I needed to make a small setup adjustment as I was at first catching it heel-side, and the distance wasn't suffering, it just sounded different. After the adjustment I was only getting another 5 yards or so which was impressive, especially for its size. I've looked at the regular Flash a few times now in store and it doesn't seem as "closed" as the standard head has in past years so that may be better for me. So far I think the whole Epic Flash line is kind of flying under the radar a little bit with there being so many good options this year.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 10.5* - Aldila Rogue Black 110MSI 60TX
    Callaway Alpha 816 DBD 14* - Diamana D+ 70x
    Titleist 913H 21* - Matrix Altus X
    Callaway 2013 X-Forged 5-PW - Nippon Modus 130
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Raw 52.08F
    Titleist Vokey SM6 Raw 56.08M
    Callaway MD4 Raw 60.08C
    Taylormade Spider X
  • AG12AG12 Members Posts: 599 ✭✭

I tested the M5, M6, Flash SZ, Flash Standard, F9, G410 and they couldnt beat my combo of TS2 w/ the Pro White 70g. It may not be the longest, but its not by much. I'm more concerned with dispersion and the TS2 fit the bill.

Titleist TS2 9.5* Tensei Pro White 60S
    Titleist TS2 15* Tensei Pro White 70S
    Titleist 818H2 21* Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 8S
    PING i210 4-UW Project X LZ 120
    Taylormade Hi-Toe 56*/60* 
    Taylormade Spider X Navy 
    TaylorMade TP5
    WITB
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members Posts: 6,523 ✭✭

Why didn't you try the f9 tour? It takes quite a bit of spin off the ball and adds a lot of carry.

Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 3D 10.5*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
    Fairway: NIKE VAPOR 13*
    3-4 IRON: MIZZY MP18MMC FLIHI
    5-9 IRONS: MP5 DG AMT X100
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 48, 53, 58, 64
    PUTTER; Directed Force 2.1
    BALL; various, ask me that day.
  • KevCannonKevCannon ClubWRX Posts: 129 ClubWRX

Epic Flash sub zero/standard flash are LEGIT fairway woods. Highest ball speeds I have ever got off a fairway wood, even on off center strikes. That is what I was so suprised and happy with, very hot face but with forgiveness.

TaylorMade tour issue M3 8.9 degree w/ Mitsubishi Diamana DF 60tx
    Callaway Epic flash sub zero 14.5 degree w/ AD TP 7x
    Callaway Apex 20 degree hybrid w/ KBS hybrid prototype 95x
    Callaway X Forged 4-P w/ Project X 6.0
    Callaway MD4 50s, 54s, 58x w/ Project X 6.0
    Toulon Austin
    Srixon Z Star XV

I use my 3 wood as a tee shot alternate, when the driver misbehaves. My main need is to hit fairways with decent length. Fairways are much more important for me, than choosing whichever 3 wood is longest. I hope to get this out on the course soon and see if it achieves this goal for me.

• CanadaCalCanadaCal Members Posts: 27 ✭✭

Been waiting for a good 2019 3 wood thread... Keep it coming guys. Smashing my new M5 driver currently, so a 3 wood is next on the buy list.

• BearQBearQ Break 2 Rebuild Members Posts: 3,376 ✭✭

The Rogue SZ is still not to be slept on!

Cobra LTD Pro - Matrix Type C Prototype 70X
    TM M2 Tour 3W/3HL - Black Tie 80M4-X
    P790 UDI #2  or  TP UDI #3 - Black Tie HM4 105X   
    Srixon Z945 (4-P) - Nippon SPB X
    Cobra MB (50*)  Nike VR Forged (56DS)  Cleveland RTX2 raw (60.08W)
    Spider Tour Black 

Swap:
    XR 3Deep - Tour AD TP 8X  | Rogue SZ 3+ - Diamana B 80X  | Bridgestone XD-H #2 - Speeder TS 9.8X 

• Golfer from MOGolfer from MO Members Posts: 986 ✭✭

@BearQ said:
    The Rogue SZ is still not to be slept on!

No it's not! Still have the sz 5wood rogue, so good.

• WarrickWarrick ClubWRX Posts: 10,327 ClubWRX
    edited May 17, 2019 10:06am #44

Agreed on the F9 Tour fairways, best I have ever played, hands down. I actually hit it bad off the tee once yesterday, and was surprised. I was starting to think it was magic, but a crap swing, is a crap swing.

TM Mini 11.5 Smoke 70
    F9 Tour 3w\13.5 - Smoke 70
    F9 Tour 5w\17.5- Smoke 70
    Epic hybrid - 22* Pro White 90
    Mizuno 919 combo 5-P - PX LZ 6.0
    Mizuno T7 - 48-53-58 - PX LZ 6.5
    Custom V-Line Fang
    TM TP5X