We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.

Epic flash sub zero fairway = best fairway of 2019????

Comments

• MobMob Just Another Lefty Indianapolis 3498WRX Points: 178Members Posts: 3,498

I hit the Epic Flash Subzero 13.5 this past week at the Ely Callaway Performance Center and I was impressed. I tried the Hzrdus Smoke and the GC AD IZ shaft. The AD IZ had better dispersion for me. I have a Rogue Subzero 15 degree that I brought with me, and the EFSZ 3+ was clearly better not just in ball speed and distance, but dispersion as well. I do like the shape of this 3 wood as well. Can't wait for it to be delivered, but not sure how long that part takes.

Posted:
    Cobra F9 Tour length with Tensei Pro Orange 60S shaft
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 degree with GD Tour AD IZ 75 stiff
    Callaway Super Hybrid 17 degree with Tensei Pro Orange 80 stiff shaft
    Callaway Rogue 4 hybrid with GD Tour AD IZ 85 stiff hybrid shaft
    TM P790 5-P with Fujikura Pro 95i shaft stiff tour spec
    Ping Glide 2.0 Raw 50 and 54 degree wedge (Currently testing Jaws MD5 56S wedge)
    PM19 62 degree wedge
    TM Spider X Navy Blue 35 inch with white racing stripe
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Dan DrakeDan Drake  2048WRX Points: 252Members Posts: 2,048

It's the best one I've hit this year!

Ok, ok, it's the only 2019 fairway I've hit this year, but it's still the best one I've hit this year!
    (that joke works with my favorite 10 year old son, who happens to be my only 10 year old son, so it must work here as well, right?)

Posted:
    Epic Flash SZ 10.5° w/AD BB
    Epic Flash 15° w/Rogue Max
    X Forged UT 18° w/VS Proto 
    X Forged UT 22° w/PX
    Apex Pro '19 5-A w/PX
    PM Grind 2.0 54° & 60° w/PX
    Odyssey 
    171831.png
  • MobMob Just Another Lefty Indianapolis 3498WRX Points: 178Members Posts: 3,498

I just hit my EFSZ 3+ on the range today for the first time. I was impressed with this 3 wood. Sound and feel are good, much better than the driver. Ball flight was a high penetrating type of flight. The Graphite Design Tour AD IZ is a nice stable shaft and paired well with this head and my swing. I hope to get it on the course soon, but my initial impressions are that this could be a keeper.

Posted:
    Ping Glide 2.0 Raw 50 and 54 degree wedge (Currently testing Jaws MD5 56S wedge)
    PM19 62 degree wedge
  • Crooksc17Crooksc17 NJ 901WRX Points: 88Members Posts: 901

On -, @Mob said:

I just hit my EFSZ 3+ on the range today for the first time. I was impressed with this 3 wood. Sound and feel are good, much better than the driver. Ball flight was a high penetrating type of flight. The Graphite Design Tour AD IZ is a nice stable shaft and paired well with this head and my swing. I hope to get it on the course soon, but my initial impressions are that this could be a keeper.

I have the same setup with the 15* head and it is easily the best fairway wood I’ve ever gamed. The most surprising thing to me was how well I have hit it off the deck. A real winner

Posted:
  • t4t3rt4t3r  2843WRX Points: 311Members Posts: 2,843

Have been demo'ing the SZ and so far it hasn't been for me. Definitely not bad, just not any better than what I've used in overall performance. There is definitely some shaft influence as what I've been testing isn't something that has worked well for me in other heads. On less than flushed shots, I think it's just not spinning enough which is obviously what it's there for, but from all the buzz I had to give it a try. The head shape/profile and sound is excellent though. I did find it performed very well across the face - I needed to make a small setup adjustment as I was at first catching it heel-side, and the distance wasn't suffering, it just sounded different. After the adjustment I was only getting another 5 yards or so which was impressive, especially for its size. I've looked at the regular Flash a few times now in store and it doesn't seem as "closed" as the standard head has in past years so that may be better for me. So far I think the whole Epic Flash line is kind of flying under the radar a little bit with there being so many good options this year.

Posted:
    Taylormade M3 440 10* - Tensei Pro Blue 60tx
    Titleist TS2 16.5* - Diamana S+ 72x
    Callaway 815 Alpha 20* - UST iRoD 85x
    Callaway 2013 X-Forged 5-PW - Nippon Modus 130
    Callaway MD4 50.10S - DG Tour Issue 115
    Callaway MD4 54.10S - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
    Callaway PM Grind 60.10 - DG Tour Issue S400
    Scotty Cameron Milspec 350g
    Taylormade TP5x
  • AG12AG12  1586WRX Points: 809Members Posts: 1,586

I tested the M5, M6, Flash SZ, Flash Standard, F9, G410 and they couldnt beat my combo of TS2 w/ the Pro White 70g. It may not be the longest, but its not by much. I'm more concerned with dispersion and the TS2 fit the bill.

Posted:
    Titleist TS2 9.5* Tensei Pro White 60S
    Titleist TS2 15* Tensei Pro White 70S
    Titleist TS2 18* Tensei Pro White 70S
    TaylorMade P790 '19 4-PW Project X LZ 120
    PING Glide 3.0 50SS/54SS/58SS DG S200
    PING Vault 2.0 Voss
    Titleist ProV1x #27
    WITB

Advertisement
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU  8623WRX Points: 2,218Members Posts: 8,623

Why didn't you try the f9 tour? It takes quite a bit of spin off the ball and adds a lot of carry.

Posted:
    Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 3D 9*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
    3 iron Cobra King Utility Aldila Rouge 90 X flex
    4-PW Mizuno MP-18 MB Aldila RIP SLT Tour 115X Flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 52, 58, 64
    PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow
  • KevCannonKevCannon  282WRX Points: 125ClubWRX Posts: 282

Epic Flash sub zero/standard flash are LEGIT fairway woods. Highest ball speeds I have ever got off a fairway wood, even on off center strikes. That is what I was so suprised and happy with, very hot face but with forgiveness.

Posted:
    Callaway Rogue sub zero 9 degree w/ GD tour AD TP 7x 
    Callaway Epic flash sub zero 15 degree w/ GD tour AD TP 7x 
    Titleist 818 H2 19 degree w/ GD tour AD IZ hybrid 95x
    Callaway X Forged 4-9, Apex MB pitching wedge w/ Project X 6.0
    Titleist SM7 50-F, Callaway MD4 54-S, 58-X w/ Project X 6.0
    Toulon San Diego putter
    Srixon Z Star XV ball

I use my 3 wood as a tee shot alternate, when the driver misbehaves. My main need is to hit fairways with decent length. Fairways are much more important for me, than choosing whichever 3 wood is longest. I hope to get this out on the course soon and see if it achieves this goal for me.

Posted:
    PM19 62 degree wedge
  • CanadaCalCanadaCal  72WRX Points: 71Members Posts: 72

Been waiting for a good 2019 3 wood thread... Keep it coming guys. Smashing my new M5 driver currently, so a 3 wood is next on the buy list.

Posted:
  • BearQBearQ  3667WRX Points: 850Members Posts: 3,667

The Rogue SZ is still not to be slept on!

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Golfer from MOGolfer from MO  1004WRX Points: 72Members Posts: 1,004

On -, @BearQ said:

The Rogue SZ is still not to be slept on!

No it's not! Still have the sz 5wood rogue, so good.

Posted:
  • WarrickWarrick  10816WRX Points: 769ClubWRX Posts: 10,816

Agreed on the F9 Tour fairways, best I have ever played, hands down. I actually hit it bad off the tee once yesterday, and was surprised. I was starting to think it was magic, but a crap swing, is a crap swing.

Posted:
    Epic 9* HZRDUS Smoke
    F9 Tour 3w\13.5 - Smoke 70
    F9 Tour 5w\17.5- Smoke 70
    Epic hybrid - 22* Pro White 90
    Mizuno 919 combo 5-9 LZ Blackout 
    Mizuno T7 - 45-49-53-58 LZ Blackout 
    Custom V-Line Fang
    TM TP5X

I got out this past weekend a few times, and hit the EFSZ 3+ off a few tees. I have to say that I am impressed so far. Really nice penetrating ball flight with good distance. Sound and feel are very nice and the shaft I chose seems to be a good choice for my swing so far. I am looking forward to hitting this off the tee when needed.

Posted:
    PM19 62 degree wedge
  • Bobb3rdownBobb3rdown Bothell, WA 714WRX Points: 188Members Posts: 714

Gonna pick one of these up. Have enough old clubs to trade in to make an even trade.

Posted:
    Ping i20 9.5
    Callaway rouge sub zero 15
    Adams pro mini 20
    Bridgestone tour b x-cb 4-pw 
    Vokey sm7 50.12, sm7 56.10, sm6 62.08
    Maltby ptm-4
    2018 Players 5 stand bag
    Srixon Z Star xv
  • radimanradiman  4729WRX Points: 352Members Posts: 4,729

I have one due to show up any day now. I have always gotten along with Callaway fairway woods. I picked up a 917F3 this past winter since I loved the shape of it. It feels dead compared to the Epic SZ 3 wood I had before. Decided to just bite the bullet and order the Epic Flash SZ. I held all of the newest offerings in hand and the EF was by far the best looking of the bunch to my eye. The Ping is just a weird shape. It looks gigantic and the super flat sole just puts me off. the F9 Tour almost looked like a hybrid. The regular F9 looked pretty good though. Just a bit too shallow to my eye. The M5/M6 were alright, but I just decided to go back to a brand I am comfortable with.

Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* HZRDUS Smoke Green "The Hulk" 60 6.5TX
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* Evenflow Black 75 6.5
    Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
    Taylormade Spider X Navy/White 35"
    Callaway MD3 52, 56, 60
    All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag

Advertisement
  • driveandputtmachinedriveandputtmachine 4 wedges or 2 iron? That is the question!  1272WRX Points: 158Members Posts: 1,272

On -, @mcc0819 said:

Went to a fairway wood fitting yesterday.  Going into it I was set on the Ping G410 lst or the Titleist ts3.  I ended testing those two heads along with the cobra f9 tour, epic flash sub zero, mizuno st190, and tm m5. 

My driver SS is 114-117 so I tested all heads using 70-85 gram shafts in xflex.  After about 10-15 swings on each head and shaft combo there was a clear winner.  The epic flash sub zero.

Highest club head speed went with the f9 but spin, carry, and especially dispersion the epic flash was head above better than the rest.  The feel of the club when flushed is good as it gets.  Average carry with the other heads were between 248-255.  With the epic flash, average carry was 262.  Most importantly, my dispersion with the epic flash was what won me over. 

At at the end of the day, I ended up ordering the epic flash sub zero with the Hzrdus smoke 6.5 80 gram shaft.  To be totally honest, I really didn’t even consider the epic flash before my fitting.  Since I’m a ping fanboy, I was really set on the g410 lst.  While that was a solid performer, the performance of the epic flash in comparison with all the other woods were clearly superior. The mizuno st190 and cobra f9 tour were also great performers but are distant 2nd and 3rd place to the epic flash sub zero. 

In conclusion, I can’t wait to get this on the course. It’s easy to hit off the deck and is an absolute cannon off the tee.  For me, this will be my safety net when I’m having off days with the driver.  What are your guys’ experience with the epic flash sub zero fairway?  

I tried them all too, but in the end the standard F9 was the best of the bunch. I have it turned down to 13.5 and it is great off the tee and great off of the turf. The epic flash SZ was the second best of the bunch for me. I didn't care for the standard Epic 3 wood at all.

Posted:
    Driver - Ping 400 MAX on Tour 65 
    Fairway - Cobra F9 on UST Axivcore Black
    Others - Srixon 785 5 Wood on UST Axivcore Black or TM UDI 2 iron on Catalyst 100 6.5 or Ping G400 17* 
    Irons - (4-P) Taylormade 790's on Project X Catalyst 6.5
    Wedges - Cleveland Rotex 3.0 50* & 55*, Rotex 4.0 60* on Recoil 110 F5
    Putter - Mannkrafted MA/66 or Taylormade Spider
    Ball - TM TP5x or Srixon Z Star XV

The Epic Flash sub zero fairway woods with the front and back weight ports and adjustable hosel, is what clearly seperates it from Rogue sz. I like and used to game rogue sz, but after getting a few different weights for flash sz and messing around with different combos it is just so much better imo. I went with 10 gram weight in back and 8 in front, this combo seems to keep launch up for off the deck shots. Played 4 rounds so far with it off the tee or very long approach shots, hasn’t let me down yet.

Posted:
    Toulon San Diego putter
    Srixon Z Star XV ball
  • danman44danman44 china 224WRX Points: 77Members Posts: 224

yup..the sz flash 3 wood is legit.. I have an evenflow blue in mine and its a rocket

Posted:
  • ohiohunter2ohiohunter2  53WRX Points: 73Members Posts: 53

Any one notice any shot shape bias with these?

Posted:
  • jlg214jlg214  385WRX Points: 90Members Posts: 385

I've found mine to be pretty much straight. I can work it both directions, but it has to be pretty deliberate. Set up with heavy weight in the rear, standard LL, Tensei CK pro blue….. honeymoon period has passed by and it's still the best 3 wood I've owned.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • ThinneditThinnedit  43WRX Points: 48Members Posts: 43

While not the SZ. I've got the standard 3 playing D+1 with a Tensei blue CK 65 stiff and a rogue 12gm weight in it (weighs in at D7)
    It's automatic off the tee and I've never hit an easier wood off the deck. Playing a minimalist bag at the moment and it's been my driver replacement. Scores are lower thanks to similar distance/better accuracy.

SZ spun way less for me. I was getting 2200's which wasnt enough to stabilise flight off the deck. 3k with the standard and the ball flight is much straighter and easy to control.

Posted:
    Epic flash 3wd tensei blue CK 65s  • Rogue Pro 5-P xp105 s300
    Strokelab Black Ten • MD4 50⁰ 54⁰ PM19 58⁰ dg 115 tour issue
    Hyperlite Zero • Chrome soft / ERC soft
  • KmacKmac  776WRX Points: 162Members Posts: 776

Are we still loving the EFSZ 3w? The M4 Tour and I are having some relationship issues so I might be looking to trade her in for a younger model. I hate practically giving away a 3w with the Tour AD IZ in it which is why I still have it in the bag. That shaft is worth more than the M4 right now, lol
    I'm turning over the M4 way too much which is more me than the club BUT having said that how hook biased is the EFSZ?

Posted:
  • mogc60mogc60  1016WRX Points: 475Members Posts: 1,016

On -, @Kmac said:

Are we still loving the EFSZ 3w? The M4 Tour and I are having some relationship issues so I might be looking to trade her in for a younger model. I hate practically giving away a 3w with the Tour AD IZ in it which is why I still have it in the bag. That shaft is worth more than the M4 right now, lol
    I'm turning over the M4 way too much which is more me than the club BUT having said that how hook biased is the EFSZ?

I just got one...15* and I am loving mine. It’s a rocket and to me it’s not draw bias at all but I don’t fight a hook really at all. I hit it pretty straight with a 5 yard block my standard miss. The head is so solid it’s ridiculous and it’s hot. Nice mid flight and the spin is way down.

Posted:

CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SZ 9 EV BLACK 75 6.5 44 1/4”
    CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SZ 15 MATRIX HD9 STRONG 41.5”
    WILSON FG5 TOUR 17* RIP PHENOM 100 S
    SRIXON Z FORGED 3-PW CATALYST 100 6.5
    CLEVELAND RTX4 50* CATALYST 100 6.0
    CLEVELAND RTX4 54* CATALYST 100 6.0
    CLEVELAND RTX4 58* MODUS 120X
    SEEMORE mFGP20 PLATINUM 38”
    SNELL MTB-X

Still LOVING my epic flash sub zero 3 wood. It is very neutral with a slight fade bias, but also has adjustable hosel to open or close face angle (decrease/increase loft). Having the front and back weight ports is probably my favorite aspect of the club, as you can put more weight towards the face to maybe help slow down your closure rate. I have the 15 degree on n/s with graphite design tour ad TP 7x tipped 3/4” playing at 42.25”, and 10 gram weights in both front and back weights ports. This set up allows me to work ball both ways and keeps spin consistent. I get great flight off the tee with some roll out, and can flight it a little higher if hitting into green from 250 + out. I loved it so much I purchased the 13.5 degree head paired with a Tensei Pro Blue 70tx.

Posted:
    Toulon San Diego putter
    Srixon Z Star XV ball
  • mcc0819mcc0819  653WRX Points: 103Members Posts: 653

Guys, I may have found a 3 wood that might actually kick out the epic flash sz out of the bag. Since that “other website” posted their annual best fairway list, one thing that stuck out to me was that they had the Srixon zf85 as the most distance fairway wood. So I went out and hit a demo. Holy sh**. This thing flies. I normally carry 245-250 with epic flash sz. With the zf85, I averaged 256 carry. Only concern was I was over drawing it and sits slightly closer at address. I figured it may be because of the stock HZRDUS red shaft that just wasn’t stable enough for my swing. Being a club hoe, I bought it out of curiosity and put an AD-TP 8x in it. The shaft turned this thing into a mini rocket launcher. Flight has straightened out with an average carry of 261 and dispersion has tightened up compared to the epic flash. Now I may be in the honeymoon phase but I will continue to test it out for the next month and see how it compares to the epic flash sz but so far so good.

Posted:
    Ping G400 LST AD-DI 7x
    Srixon Z F85 3w AD-TP 8x
    Taylormade m1 3 hybrid Veylix Rome 988 Wildeye
    Srixon Z765 4-pw Nippon Modus 120x
    Ping Glide 2.0 50, 54, 58
    Odyssey O-Works 1w

Advertisement
  • taoslcltaoslcl  53WRX Points: 65Members Posts: 53

Looking at picking one of these up from Callaway pre owned this weekend during their sale. Anyone with around 100-105 swing speed try both the regular and Sub zero and have thoughts. Don't think I have anywhere to hit them. Would normally go with the regular epic flash but this thread and that others sites #1 ranking make me want to try the SZ.

Posted:
  • gioguy21gioguy21 NJ 8086WRX Points: 1,336Members Posts: 8,086

On -, @taoslcl said:

Looking at picking one of these up from Callaway pre owned this weekend during their sale. Anyone with around 100-105 swing speed try both the regular and Sub zero and have thoughts. Don't think I have anywhere to hit them. Would normally go with the regular epic flash but this thread and that others sites #1 ranking make me want to try the SZ.

i bought them thinking of them this way (i have both btw): if you use it off a tee, go SZ, if you hit it off grass, go flash.

Posted:

Epic Flash SZ / 9* (set D/S) / Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 6X tipped 1.50"
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set -1/N) / HZRDUS Smoke Black 75g 6.5 tipped 2"
    Epic CF17 3i / Tensei PW Hybrid 100TX
    Apex MB Chrome / 3-PW / Modus 130 X
    MD4 Chrome / 52, 56, 60 / DG 115 S200 (for now)
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

• TrueWRXTrueWRX  1729WRX Points: 211Members Posts: 1,729

Im playing one with a Hzrdus black shaft. Great 3 wood finally found one that will stick in the bag

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Mike_CMike_C  1579WRX Points: 199Members Posts: 1,579

On -, @mcc0819 said:

Guys, I may have found a 3 wood that might actually kick out the epic flash sz out of the bag. Since that “other website” posted their annual best fairway list, one thing that stuck out to me was that they had the Srixon zf85 as the most distance fairway wood. So I went out and hit a demo. Holy sh**. This thing flies. I normally carry 245-250 with epic flash sz. With the zf85, I averaged 256 carry. Only concern was I was over drawing it and sits slightly closer at address. I figured it may be because of the stock HZRDUS red shaft that just wasn’t stable enough for my swing. Being a club hoe, I bought it out of curiosity and put an AD-TP 8x in it. The shaft turned this thing into a mini rocket launcher. Flight has straightened out with an average carry of 261 and dispersion has tightened up compared to the epic flash. Now I may be in the honeymoon phase but I will continue to test it out for the next month and see how it compares to the epic flash sz but so far so good.

I had the Srixon Z F85 with a HZDRUS yellow. It is long. But I fought hooking it. I finally looked for something else. And switched to a 15 degree flash subzero. The Srixon specs are 4 degrees more upright vs the Callaway, l think this is the reason for the lefts for me. But I did like the look and feel of the F85, l actually recommended it to people who don't hook the ball.

Posted:
    Post edited by Mike_C on
    WITB
    2017 9.5 M2 Tour AD DI 7X
    Epic Flash SubZero 15* Tensei AV Blue 75X
    Big Bertha Alpha 815 Hybrid 18* Fujikura Speeder 865 S
    Srixon U85 23* Recoil F5
    Srixon Z585 5 iron Recoil 95 F5
    Srixon Z785 6-PW Recoil 95 F5
    Srixon 945 PW Recoil proto 95 F5
    Callaway MD 4 54/10 S Modus 3 115 W
    Ping Eye 2 SW 57.5 ZZ lite
    White Hot 2 ball blade, Never Compromise Dinero Baron,  or Cleveland BRZ 2
    Srixon Z Star or XV

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.