We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.

Akshay Bhatia

leezer99 ·  
leezer99leezer99 Boy - 2026 1496Members Posts: 1,496
In case you haven't been watching, high school junior (home schooled) Akshay is playing in this week's Valspar Championship and the kid played well in his first PGA event.  Started off with a pretty easy birdie on 10 but then something happened I didn't see and he ended up going three over in his next two holes.  Went two under through his next eleven holes but then three over again in his last four holes.  Ended up at +3 on the day sitting at T100.  Poor guy found himself in five bunkers today which isn't horrible but I'm sure added just a little more pressure for perfection from a guy that said he wanted to win this thing.

I fully expect him to settle down tomorrow and shoot a much better score.  Not sure if it will be good enough to make the cut but he'll play well and show these guys he's good enough to be out there.

Just for reference, he's ranked numero uno in JGS with a -7.23 differential and ranked number 8 in WAGR.
Posted:

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

Tagged:

Comments

• wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower  1063Members Posts: 1,063
    Man this forum layout s**ks.  I was following along with his round today while watching NCAA BB. Looks like he had some erratic moments out there. Surely, a learning curve for him. +3 as a 16 yer old in your first PGA event is not too shabby.
    Posted:

-- Two things don't last long. Dogs chasing cars and golf pro's putting for pars. --

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • CTgolfCTgolf  572Banned Posts: 572
    Top player?  Home schooled?
    WISE
    Posted:
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter  3479Members Posts: 3,479
    CTgolf said:
    Top player?  Home schooled?
    WISE
    He hates school.  I listened to a podcast interview with him and he is as dumb as a stump.  He is not attending college and will turn pro when he graduates from High School if not sooner.
    Posted:
  • Judge440Judge440 Titleist will always have my heart. Cleveland, OH USA 2113ClubWRX Posts: 2,113
    Birdie on #1 today to start out second round.
    Posted:
    TM M5 10.5* - GD Tour AD-TP 6X
    TM M3 15* - GD Tour AD-DI 7X
    Ping G410 19* - Accra TZ6 85 M4
    Mizuno 919 Tour - Project X LZ 6.0
    Titleist SM7 Raw - 50.12F | 54.14F | 60-12D - TI S400
    Scotty Cameron Tour Rat

WITB Link

https://www.instagram.com/judge44o/
  • leezer99leezer99 Boy - 2026  1496Members Posts: 1,496
    Judge440 said:
    Birdie on #1 today to start out second round.
    Lets not get ahead of ourselves... it's the 18 handicap hole.
    Posted:

Advertisement
    Good birdie on the 4th hole par 3.  

As an aside, I usually can tell how well my son played on any given day by how he scored on the par 3's.  To me it just is the easiest way to determine ball striking and putting.
    Posted:

• tiger1873tiger1873  1344Members Posts: 1,344

I don’t who is giving a lot these younger players advice but saying your not going to college when it clearly is on the table not the smartest move.

I get that when a player is good enough going to college is probably a stupid move. All it takes is 1 win on the PGA tour to more then make it worth a persons while.

The problem I see is winning is not as easy as people think especially on the PGA. It also is not just about winning either. College helps players learn how to raise sponsors , travel at higher intensity and just plain get along better with people.

I don’t think this kid is at that level yet and his parents should be helping him make smart desciscions for his future in some cases they probably should take the mic away and just let him play.

Posted:
  • gioguy21gioguy21 NJ 8086Members Posts: 8,086

he's not ready for pros. simple as that. i honestly don't care what he shot this week --

nothing beats a free education, competitive knowledge and otherwise socialization since he was homeschooled. grow a bit more young man -- not just in your golf game.

Posted:

Epic Flash SZ / 9* (set D/S) / Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 6X tipped 1.50"
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set -1/N) / HZRDUS Smoke Black 75g 6.5 tipped 2"
    Epic CF17 3i / Tensei PW Hybrid 100TX
    Apex MB Chrome / 3-PW / Modus 130 X
    MD4 Chrome / 52, 56, 60 / DG 115 S200 (for now)
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

Right now the cut is sitting at +1 and AB is at +4... looks like he's going to miss the cut which is a bummer but I'm sure he's learning a lot about himself.

As for the comments about his education, I tend to agree that college should be the route for most but we don't know his circumstances. Like a previous poster said, during his podcast he didn't mention school as part of his daily routine. He might just simply not have the grades to get in anywhere except for maybe Alabama.

Posted:

Yeah... But he has 3 different swing coaches including one that DJ uses. He has to have some cash because these guys aren't doing for free.

Posted:

Advertisement

Other than Tiger, has there ever been a junior with national exposure that has made a successful segue to the tour? I know that regionally you might have a group that were familiar with Cameron Champ or maybe even a Jordan Spieth but I can't think of a single #golfprodigy that has had national name recognition move on to success. I do see a lot more kids creating a brand around themselves now by throwing 58 #'s and 42 @'s on Instagram hoping to get reposted but that just seems weird to me. I even see some coaches doing this for their students hoping to get additional follows and likes... again, very weird to me.

Posted:

Phil had national exposure.

I honestly don't feel like this kid has national exposure. Karl Villips has more exposure than he does.

Posted:
  • tiger1873tiger1873  1344Members Posts: 1,344

If we were talking LPGA not PGA I would think the talking about not doing college is something that happens more frequently. It actually more stupid to do this to pursuer the LPGA considering the actual earnings but for what ever reason a lot girls will throw away a few hundred grand that they will never make turning pro.

He has a long way to go though to be a household name.

Posted:
  • iteachgolfiteachgolf  17008Members Posts: 17,008

On -, @leezer99 said:

Other than Tiger, has there ever been a junior with national exposure that has made a successful segue to the tour? I know that regionally you might have a group that were familiar with Cameron Champ or maybe even a Jordan Spieth but I can't think of a single #golfprodigy that has had national name recognition move on to success. I do see a lot more kids creating a brand around themselves now by throwing 58 #'s and 42 @'s on Instagram hoping to get reposted but that just seems weird to me. I even see some coaches doing this for their students hoping to get additional follows and likes... again, very weird to me.

Jordan had WAY more media exposure, he won multiple US Juniors. Kevin Na has done ok. So has Sergio. There’s plenty of top juniors that had huge exposure that have been successful

Posted:

On -, @iteachgolf I just read Na's wiki... for having grown up about an hour away I had no idea he left HS after his junior year to turn pro. I'm kind of guessing the year but that looks like it was in 2000 and he ended up getting his card in 2004.

I'd be interested in finding out how long the average Web.com player takes to get onto the big stage if at all. Seems like a pretty tough racket.

Posted:

Advertisement

On -, @leezer99 said:

On -, @iteachgolf I just read Na's wiki... for having grown up about an hour away I had no idea he left HS after his junior year to turn pro. I'm kind of guessing the year but that looks like it was in 2000 and he ended up getting his card in 2004.

I'd be interested in finding out how long the average Web.com player takes to get onto the big stage if at all. Seems like a pretty tough racket.

Na won Asian Tour championship at 18 years old iirc . Earned his PGA Tour card one year later right after his 20th birthday.

How long it takes depends on the player, the average Web.com Tour player never makes it to the PGA Tour

Posted:

Looks like he Monday qualified into this weeks web.com event. Any predictions?

Posted:

Guessing he will finish 35-45th

Posted:

On -, @iteachgolf said:

For me, this is super compelling to watch play out. I know there are lots of parents that want their kids to go on to become pros so being able to watch the success / struggles of the #1 ranked junior am with every resource available is a fantastic barometer to watch.

Posted:

On -, @leezer99 said:

On -, @iteachgolf said:

For me, this is super compelling to watch play out. I know there are lots of parents that want their kids to go on to become pros so being able to watch the success / struggles of the #1 ranked junior am with every resource available is a fantastic barometer to watch.

I don’t think he’s close to ready for professional golf.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • kekoakekoa  9218ClubWRX Posts: 9,218

On -, @iteachgolf said:

On -, @leezer99 said:

On -, @iteachgolf said:

So you think he should go to college and mature further while also sharpening his game? If my son was in his position, he would 100% go to college and hopefully get some pga exemptions along the way. If he proves himself then by all means turn pro later.

Posted:

On -, @kekoa said:

On -, @iteachgolf said:

On -, @leezer99 said:

On -, @iteachgolf said:

So you think he should go to college and mature further while also sharpening his game? If my son was in his position, he would 100% go to college and hopefully get some pga exemptions along the way. If he proves himself then by all means turn pro later.

Nobody who’s done what he’s going to do has been successful so far. Including guys that finished top 10 in PGA Tour events in high school, and he hasn’t made a cut. He’s very talented but that alone isn’t going to be enough

Posted:

On -, @iteachgolf said:

On -, @kekoa said:

On -, @iteachgolf said:

On -, @leezer99 said:

On -, @iteachgolf said:

Nobody who’s done what he’s going to do has been successful so far. Including guys that finished top 10 in PGA Tour events in high school, and he hasn’t made a cut. He’s very talented but that alone isn’t going to be enough

I thought most of the Euro guys don't attend college. Rory, Rose, others?

Posted:

On -, @heavy_hitter said:

On -, @iteachgolf said:

On -, @kekoa said:

On -, @iteachgolf said:

On -, @leezer99 said:

On -, @iteachgolf said:

Europe is completely different in how their schools are setup. Rose struggled massively until he figured it out. He’d probably admit he turned pro too early. Rory is a generational talent and it took him 2 years to win on the European Tour. Both had top finishes in majors while high school aged. Akshay has been trying to Monday qualify for PGA Tour event for years and hasn’t qualified for one. I think he will have some success on tour, but he’s not ready right now.

Posted:
  • kekoakekoa  9218ClubWRX Posts: 9,218

On -, @iteachgolf said:

On -, @iteachgolf said:

On -, @kekoa said:

On -, @iteachgolf said:

On -, @leezer99 said:

On -, @iteachgolf said:

Europe is completely different in how their schools are setup. Rose struggled massively until he figured it out. He’d probably admit he turned pro too early. Rory is a generational talent and it took him 2 years to win on the European Tour. Both had top finishes in majors while high school aged. Akshay has been trying to Monday qualify for PGA Tour event for years and hasn’t qualified for one. I think he will have some success on tour, but he’s not ready right now.

What score range does it take to Monday qualify for a Web? 2-3 under? I know for PGA events you have to go lights out at like 5-6 under and you are also going up against past PGA players for just 2-3 spots.

Posted:

Advertisement

On -, @kekoa said:

On -, @iteachgolf said:

On -, @iteachgolf said:

On -, @kekoa said:

On -, @iteachgolf said:

On -, @leezer99 said:

On -, @iteachgolf said:

What score range does it take to Monday qualify for a Web? 2-3 under? I know for PGA events you have to go lights out at like 5-6 under and you are also going up against past PGA players for just 2-3 spots.

He made it in on the number in a six person qualifier at 4 under. Qualifiers were -10, -7, -5, -5, -4, -4.

Posted:

On -, @iteachgolf said:

On -, @iteachgolf said:

On -, @kekoa said:

On -, @iteachgolf said:

On -, @leezer99 said:

On -, @iteachgolf said:

Europe is completely different in how their schools are setup. Rose struggled massively until he figured it out. He’d probably admit he turned pro too early. Rory is a generational talent. Both had top finishes in majors while high school aged. Akshay has been trying to Monday qualify for PGA Tour event for years and hasn’t qualified for one. I think he will have some success on tour, but he’s not ready right now.

On -, @kekoa said:

On -, @iteachgolf said:

On -, @iteachgolf said:

On -, @kekoa said:

On -, @iteachgolf said:

On -, @leezer99 said:

On -, @iteachgolf said:

Anywhere between -4 and -10 depending on number of spots.

Posted:
  • kcapkcap  199Members Posts: 199

I just think it is amazing that he/ family would decide as 8 grader that turning pro and skipping college is the way tongo

Posted:

Advertisement

On -, @kcap said:

I just think it is amazing that he/ family would decide as 8 grader that turning pro and skipping college is the way tongo

I think he just decided this year... he's a 17 year old.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.