Iron shafts in your wedges

MillerLowLife ·  
MillerLowLifeMillerLowLife SLC, UT 815WRX Points: 118Handicap: 5Members Posts: 815 Golden Tee
Been gaming the same Nippon 130x shafts for several years now. Really enjoy them and feel they’re a really good fit. Now I feel this is fine in my gap wedge but have felt that maybe it’s time to move away from them in my 56/60. I have a strong digger swing but find sometimes that it’s harder the flight my wedges. Am I right to think because of the shaft being so firm and unable to load it properly for easier swings that it may be a cause for the feeling that I only hit moon balls? Been thinking of possibly switching to like a Nippon 115 wedge shaft. My main concern though is going to far in the opposite direction and having too soft of a shaft I guess. 

Appreciate any input.
Posted:

Mizuno ST190HL w/ Ventus Blue 6x

Taylormade original M2 Fairway w/ leadtape

Mizuno FliHI 3i w/ x100

Srixon z785 4-PW w/ x100

Mizuno T20 in blue 52

Taylormade Milled in blk 56/60

Mizuno M-craft III

Ball: Srixon XV

Comments

• 76mpg76mpg  351WRX Points: 100Members Posts: 351 Greens
    If you are truly a fit for 130x nippons I would not play the 115s, completely different profile. Play the 130 s in your lower wedges. And being overly stiff wouldn’t cause moon balls, the opposite actually. 

I play 130 s flex and play tour v wedge flex in my wedges, another good alternative. 
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • agolf1agolf1  1853WRX Points: 1,040Members Posts: 1,853 Platinum Tees
    Generally speaking, I would also guess that the 130 s is a better match.  However, anything can feel better for a particular person so it's hard to say.
    For the SW/LW (mainly partial swing wedges), it seems like the shaft is mostly feel and has less to do with the actual flex/loading.  For example, I think Koepka plays X100 / S400 (typical pattern).  Following the same logic, I would play R-flex / Senior-Flex (or SS R-flex).  But to make a 60* wedge go 50 yards, we are both probably swing the club at about the same speed.  For him it just happens to be a flick and for me it is like a 3/4 swing.
    For whatever its worth, I've played a LW with anything from an R-flex 6 iron shaft to a X100 in it.  They definitely feel different but I don't think they impact the shots much.
    Posted:
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    PING G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    PING Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    PING Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  PING Eye 2+ (58*) or PING Eye 2 XG (60*)
  • MillerLowLifeMillerLowLife SLC, UT 815WRX Points: 118Handicap: 5Members Posts: 815 Golden Tee
    76mpg said:
    If you are truly a fit for 130x nippons I would not play the 115s, completely different profile. Play the 130 s in your lower wedges. And being overly stiff wouldn’t cause moon balls, the opposite actually. 

I play 130 s flex and play tour v wedge flex in my wedges, another good alternative. 
    I would say I am for sure. That's a good point though. 130s would probably be a lot better. I guess I really only wanted the 115 wedge because they come in black now and TM has them as an option for wedges. 
    Posted:

Mizuno ST190HL w/ Ventus Blue 6x

Taylormade original M2 Fairway w/ leadtape

Mizuno FliHI 3i w/ x100

Srixon z785 4-PW w/ x100

Mizuno T20 in blue 52

Taylormade Milled in blk 56/60

Mizuno M-craft III

Ball: Srixon XV

• 76mpg76mpg  351WRX Points: 100Members Posts: 351 Greens

On -, @MillerLowLife said:

76mpg said:

I would say I am for sure. That's a good point though. 130s would probably be a lot better. I guess I really only wanted the 115 wedge because they come in black now and TM has them as an option for wedges. 

The 130 shafts are such a unique profile I just think the 115 would throw you off quite a bit. I agree, the blacks look nice...

Posted:
  • phatchrisrulesphatchrisrules Southern Ontario, Canada 2130WRX Points: 391Handicap: 6.5Unregistered Posts: 2,130 Platinum Tees

On -, @MillerLowLife said:

Been gaming the same Nippon 130x shafts for several years now. Really enjoy them and feel they’re a really good fit. Now I feel this is fine in my gap wedge but have felt that maybe it’s time to move away from them in my 56/60. I have a strong digger swing but find sometimes that it’s harder the flight my wedges. Am I right to think because of the shaft being so firm and unable to load it properly for easier swings that it may be a cause for the feeling that I only hit moon balls? Been thinking of possibly switching to like a Nippon 115 wedge shaft. My main concern though is going to far in the opposite direction and having too soft of a shaft I guess. 

Appreciate any input.

Nippon 125 wedge or Dynamic Gold s400. Are they different bend profiles compared to the 130? Yes. But they will both be heavier, lower launch, smoother, and a touch softer than the 130. Exactly what most people typically find attractive in a wedge shaft design.

Posted:

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757
    Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85
    Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL
    Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold
    Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold
    Scotty Cameron Teryllium

• ChipNRunChipNRun  2071WRX Points: 455Members Posts: 2,071 Platinum Tees

A slightly softer flex will allow you to get ample spin on partial shots (big mission for SW and LW) while maintaining a tempo swing.

Posted:
    What's In The Bag *...

Driver: Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
    FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
    or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
    Hybrid: Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
    Irons: Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i - PW** / KBS Tour 90 R-flex 101 gr.
           4i refitted with SteelFiber 780 HLS Hybrid shaft R Flex 75 gr.
    Wedge: Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS + MD.PM 60°/10  | KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr.  | Note: MD4 58°/8.C-grind may replace MD/PM
    Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) / 34" w. Ping Pistol PP60 grip (stock)
    Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
    Ball: Calla SuperHot - orange
    * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course and season.
    ** Wedges: 46°and 48°are competing for bag space.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.