Iron shafts in your wedges

Been gaming the same Nippon 130x shafts for several years now. Really enjoy them and feel they’re a really good fit. Now I feel this is fine in my gap wedge but have felt that maybe it’s time to move away from them in my 56/60. I have a strong digger swing but find sometimes that it’s harder the flight my wedges. Am I right to think because of the shaft being so firm and unable to load it properly for easier swings that it may be a cause for the feeling that I only hit moon balls? Been thinking of possibly switching to like a Nippon 115 wedge shaft. My main concern though is going to far in the opposite direction and having too soft of a shaft I guess. 

Appreciate any input.

Comments

  • 76mpg76mpg Members Posts: 309 ✭✭
    If you are truly a fit for 130x nippons I would not play the 115s, completely different profile. Play the 130 s in your lower wedges. And being overly stiff wouldn’t cause moon balls, the opposite actually. 

    I play 130 s flex and play tour v wedge flex in my wedges, another good alternative. 
  • agolf1agolf1 Members Posts: 679 ✭✭
    Generally speaking, I would also guess that the 130 s is a better match.  However, anything can feel better for a particular person so it's hard to say.
    For the SW/LW (mainly partial swing wedges), it seems like the shaft is mostly feel and has less to do with the actual flex/loading.  For example, I think Koepka plays X100 / S400 (typical pattern).  Following the same logic, I would play R-flex / Senior-Flex (or SS R-flex).  But to make a 60* wedge go 50 yards, we are both probably swing the club at about the same speed.  For him it just happens to be a flick and for me it is like a 3/4 swing.
    For whatever its worth, I've played a LW with anything from an R-flex 6 iron shaft to a X100 in it.  They definitely feel different but I don't think they impact the shots much.
    Titleist 910 D2 11.25*, Diamana Ilima R-Flex (tipped 1')
    Callaway X Hot Pro 19* Fairway, Project X Velocity 6.0
    TaylorMade Raylor 22*, Raylor RE*AX S-Flex
    Ping G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    Ping Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
  • 76mpg said:
    If you are truly a fit for 130x nippons I would not play the 115s, completely different profile. Play the 130 s in your lower wedges. And being overly stiff wouldn’t cause moon balls, the opposite actually. 

    I play 130 s flex and play tour v wedge flex in my wedges, another good alternative. 
    I would say I am for sure. That's a good point though. 130s would probably be a lot better. I guess I really only wanted the 115 wedge because they come in black now and TM has them as an option for wedges. 
  • 76mpg76mpg Members Posts: 309 ✭✭

    @MillerLowLife said:
    76mpg said:

    If you are truly a fit for 130x nippons I would not play the 115s, completely different profile. Play the 130 s in your lower wedges. And being overly stiff wouldn’t cause moon balls, the opposite actually. 

    I play 130 s flex and play tour v wedge flex in my wedges, another good alternative. 

    I would say I am for sure. That's a good point though. 130s would probably be a lot better. I guess I really only wanted the 115 wedge because they come in black now and TM has them as an option for wedges. 

    The 130 shafts are such a unique profile I just think the 115 would throw you off quite a bit. I agree, the blacks look nice...

  • phatchrisrulesphatchrisrules Members Posts: 1,812 ✭✭

    @MillerLowLife said:
    Been gaming the same Nippon 130x shafts for several years now. Really enjoy them and feel they’re a really good fit. Now I feel this is fine in my gap wedge but have felt that maybe it’s time to move away from them in my 56/60. I have a strong digger swing but find sometimes that it’s harder the flight my wedges. Am I right to think because of the shaft being so firm and unable to load it properly for easier swings that it may be a cause for the feeling that I only hit moon balls? Been thinking of possibly switching to like a Nippon 115 wedge shaft. My main concern though is going to far in the opposite direction and having too soft of a shaft I guess. 

    Appreciate any input.

    Nippon 125 wedge or Dynamic Gold s400. Are they different bend profiles compared to the 130? Yes. But they will both be heavier, lower launch, smoother, and a touch softer than the 130. Exactly what most people typically find attractive in a wedge shaft design.

    Callaway Rogue SZ 9* - Accra TZP (TZ5 Prototype) 455
    Callaway Rogue SZ 13.5* - Diamana Thump 75F
    Callaway Rogue SZ 18* - Diamana Thump 85F
    Hybrid empty but have a Diamana Thump 90H waiting
    New Level 1031 Black 5-PW - Dynamic Gold 105 Black Onyx
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50/SS, 54/ES, 58/ES - Dynamic Gold 105 Black Onyx
    Bettinardi BB0 "Gotta Sting" Prototype 1 of 1 - Stability
  • ChipNRunChipNRun Members Posts: 1,169 ✭✭

    A slightly softer flex will allow you to get ample spin on partial shots (big mission for SW and LW) while maintaining a tempo swing.

    What's In The Bag *...

    Driver: Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
    FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
    or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
    Hybrid: Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
    Irons: Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i - PW** / KBS Tour 90 R-flex 95 gr. (As of 21 Nov 2018)
    Wedge: Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS +
    MD.PM 60°/10 / KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr. |
    Putter: Slotline Inertial SL-583F / 34" w. SuperStroke 2.0 MidSlim grip
    Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
    Ball: Calla SuperSoft
    * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course.
    ** Wedges: 46°and 48°are competing for bag space.
Sign In or Register to comment.