Pulling driver left. Is it shaft?

odshot68 ·  
odshot68odshot68 MI 8033WRX Points: 201Handicap: +.7Members Posts: 8,033 Titanium Tees
i just put a tensei pro orange 60tx in my m6 driver and I am pull hooking quite a few shots with it. I play it at 44.75” and it has a d6 headweight.  I have a three wood with pro 63x that I hit a push draw that I love.  That plays at 43.25” with d7 swingweight.   I put face tape on it and it’s center of the face. Would this ashaft be causing this because it’s counterbalanced?  
Posted:

Titleist TS3 10.5 Fuji Speeder Evolution V 661 Stiff
Titleist TS2 13.5 & 18 Tensei Blue 65X
Titleist TS3 21 deg VA Composites Slay 85 Hybrid Stiff
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW DG S300
Vokey SM7 52.12F, 56.10S, 60.04L DGS200
See More Platinum SB20 Mallet
Golf Pride Tour Velvet Align
Titleist Pro V1

Comments

• BottleCapBottleCap  1494WRX Points: 249Members Posts: 1,494 Platinum Tees
    It's gotta be your setup or swing. Post a video.
    Posted:
    Taylormade M5 Mitsubishi Kuro Kage XD 70 S
    Titleist 917 F3 GD TourAD IZ 8S
    Mizuno MP 69 3-PW DG S400
    Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
    Cameron Newport 2 CT
    Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • pinestreetgolfpinestreetgolf  3540WRX Points: 340Handicap: 4Members Posts: 3,540 Titanium Tees
    A hook is a ball that starts at or left of the target line and curves further left.
    A pull is a ball that starts left of the target line and is straight, just angled left of target, but is not curving while in the air.
    Is it a hook (your post) or pull (your subject) ?  Both have completely different causes.
    Posted:
    Wilson Triton 10.5 Rogue 125 msi 60 X-Flex
    Ping G30 2, 3, 4, 5*, 6 Hybrids TFC 419 Stiff Flex
    M2 7-AW ReAx 75 Graphite
    PM Grind 56* KBS Rev 2.0
    Cameron Mallet
  • Adam CAdam C  683WRX Points: 384Handicap: 4Members Posts: 683 Golden Tee
    The answer is maybe. The shaft by itself can only directly cause the hook portion whereby the head closes at impact causing hook spin. The pull is a result of swing path across your body, not face angle, and the shaft by itself has no direct influence on your swing path. That being said, the weight or balance of that shaft could be influencing your transition and swing path. Would need to take some slo mo video to identify what's going on or get on a good launch monitor to at least see the numbers (ie path, face angle, side spin). 
    Posted:
  • pinestreetgolfpinestreetgolf  3540WRX Points: 340Handicap: 4Members Posts: 3,540 Titanium Tees
    Adam C said:
    The answer is maybe. The shaft by itself can only directly cause the hook portion whereby the head closes at impact causing hook spin. The pull is a result of swing path across your body, not face angle, and the shaft by itself has no direct influence on your swing path. That being said, the weight or balance of that shaft could be influencing your transition and swing path. Would need to take some slo mo video to identify what's going on or get on a good launch monitor to at least see the numbers (ie path, face angle, side spin). 
    Its the opposite of that.  Face sends it, path bends it.  Path causes a curve (hook) and face causes a straight miss (pull).
    Other than that, the post is correct.
    Posted:
    Wilson Triton 10.5 Rogue 125 msi 60 X-Flex
    Ping G30 2, 3, 4, 5*, 6 Hybrids TFC 419 Stiff Flex
    M2 7-AW ReAx 75 Graphite
    PM Grind 56* KBS Rev 2.0
    Cameron Mallet
  • LazyLightning22LazyLightning22  315WRX Points: 86Members Posts: 315 Greens
    I had a Pro Orange in my G400 LST for about 2 weeks and hit more pull hooks than I ever have in my life. My typical ball flight is a slight fade and I was hitting almost exclusively pull hooks with the PO. For me it was all about the feel. My timing was seriously thrown off and I couldn't get the proper feel with the PO. Put my Even Flow Black back in and went back to hitting a slight fade.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 LST 10*- Project X Even Flow Black 65 6.5
    Titleist 909 F3 15*- Diamana Blue Board S
    Titleist 909H 19*- Aldila Voodoo S
    Mizuno Yoro MP 68 4-PW- KBS C-Taper R+
    Cleveland RTX3 RAW 50* 54* 58*
    Cameron Newport 1.5
  • arbeckarbeck Seattle 615WRX Points: 320Handicap: 14.5Members Posts: 615 Golden Tee
    Its the opposite of that.  Face sends it, path bends it.  Path causes a curve (hook) and face causes a straight miss (pull).
    Other than that, the post is correct.
    That's not exactly true. The ball starts where the face points in relationship to the target, but the bend is caused by the difference between the face and the path. A straight pull is caused by the path being left with a closed face. Open the face to the path, but keep it closed to the target, and you'll get a nice cut. Open the face to the target with that same left path and you'll get a push slice.

Most amateur golfers actually have pretty consistent paths. You get them on a launch monitor and their swing path numbers won't vary that much swing after swing. They're also usually the easiest number to change (I've had lessons where we change my path 8*). Controlling face to path is usually much harder because much smaller movements in your wrists and hands will affect the face angle.
    Posted:
    Ping Traverse
    King Cobra F7 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Blue 60 set at 9.5*
    TEE E8 4W, 7W
    Ping G410 4H
    Mizuno JPX-900 Hot Metal 5-SW w/ Veylix Alpina 873
    TEE CB PROs 60*
    Scotty Cameron Squareback

Advertisement
  • odshot68odshot68 MI 8033WRX Points: 201Handicap: +.7Members Posts: 8,033 Titanium Tees
    OP here. They are mostly pull hooks. Every other club I. My bag is a push draw that I love. I’m going to hit up a launch mo it or at lunch and hit different drivers and see if it’s the shaft. I realize it’s my swing doing this but it could be related to what I’m feeling causing this. 
    Posted:

Titleist Pro V1

• Hookasaurus RexHookasaurus Rex Purveyor of fine turf  1105WRX Points: 128Members Posts: 1,105 Platinum Tees
    odshot68 said:
    i just put a tensei pro orange 60tx in my m6 driver and I am pull hooking quite a few shots with it. I play it at 44.75” and it has a d6 headweight.  I have a three wood with pro 63x that I hit a push draw that I love.  That plays at 43.25” with d7 swingweight.   I put face tape on it and it’s center of the face. Would this ashaft be causing this because it’s counterbalanced?  
    My guess is the shaft feels different and it’s influencing your delivery.  It’s a fairly different shaft than a Fuji pro 63x (much stiffer than this one, especially if it’s the blue and black 63x and not the tour spec version).  I was doing a little bit of the same when I switched to the PO- difference in feel was changing my delivery.  Once I settled in, I was hitting my regular straight ball to a little cut.  I find it to be a very long (distance wise) and great feeling shaft.  I do like counterbalanced shafts though, I’ve got the Hzrdus Yellow in my 3w...
    Posted:
    Cobra LTD Pro Aldila Copperhead 60tx/Callaway Tour issue Rogue SZ-V w 130msi Rogue White 60x
    Callaway Super Hybrid 16* Tensei Pro Orange 80s
    Ping G410 19* Hybrid Evenflow Black 85 6.0
    Taylormade p790 4-GW Project X LZ 6.0
    Cobra King Black 54*, 58* Modus Wedge 115
    PXG Bat Attack Extreme Darkness 35”
  • radimanradiman  4743WRX Points: 364Handicap: 3.8Members Posts: 4,743 Titanium Tees
    From what I have read, that can be a side effect of a counterbalanced shaft.  May just take some time to get your timing down.
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* HZRDUS Smoke Green "The Hulk" 60 6.5TX
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* Evenflow Black 75 6.5
    Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
    Taylormade Spider X Navy/White 35"
    Callaway MD3 52, 56, 60
    All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag
  • gvogelgvogel  8110WRX Points: 1,090Members Posts: 8,110 Titanium Tees
    radiman said:
    From what I have read, that can be a side effect of a counterbalanced shaft.  May just take some time to get your timing down.
    Don't change your timing if your other clubs are working.  Change the shaft.
    Posted:
    Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse
  • odshot68odshot68 MI 8033WRX Points: 201Handicap: +.7Members Posts: 8,033 Titanium Tees
    odshot68 said:
    My guess is the shaft feels different and it’s influencing your delivery.  It’s a fairly different shaft than a Fuji pro 63x (much stiffer than this one, especially if it’s the blue and black 63x and not the tour spec version).  I was doing a little bit of the same when I switched to the PO- difference in feel was changing my delivery.  Once I settled in, I was hitting my regular straight ball to a little cut.  I find it to be a very long (distance wise) and great feeling shaft.  I do like counterbalanced shafts though, I’ve got the Hzrdus Yellow in my 3w...

Posted:

Titleist Pro V1

Advertisement
    Type your commenti can’t hit the Yellow to save my life. Can’t hit the red or smoke either. The black is decent but doesn’t feel good. I don’t want to change my swing to fit the club. 
    Posted:

Titleist Pro V1

• radimanradiman  4743WRX Points: 364Handicap: 3.8Members Posts: 4,743 Titanium Tees
    gvogel said:
    radiman said:
    Don't change your timing if your other clubs are working.  Change the shaft.
    I mean with that specific club. I have been using a Pro Orange and it's the only counter-balanced shaft in my bag. Still able to hit everything else just fine. Basically, I'm telling him to give it more time. It may shake itself out. But, it may not be a good fit either.

Haven't tested it. But, from what I hear, the Pro White is a similar profile to the orange, minus the counter-balance.
    Posted:
    Callaway MD3 52, 56, 60
    odshot68 said:
    Type your commenti can’t hit the Yellow to save my life. Can’t hit the red or smoke either. The black is decent but doesn’t feel good. I don’t want to change my swing to fit the club. 
    I wasn't suggesting that you change your swing.  Could just need some time to adjust to it.  But, if you also can't hit the Yellow.  It may be that a counter balanced shaft just isn't for you.  
    Posted:
    Callaway MD3 52, 56, 60
  • arbeckarbeck Seattle 615WRX Points: 320Handicap: 14.5Members Posts: 615 Golden Tee
    If your shots are pull hooks, it's probably not a path issue. That tends to be my miss with the drive and it is almost always a face issue. I'll get the path a little less right than normal (say 1-2* instead of 4-5) and my face will be 4-5* closed to the path. That will start the ball to the left of the target with hook spin making it go further left. This is exacerbated by my tendency to miss on the toe which can gear the ball even further to the left.

Since your strike location is good, you're simply closing the face too fast. I'm not sure what kind of shaft will help your timing with that to be honest. Usually when that happens to me I've actually got the ball too forward in my stance and that's disrupting the timing a bit (My AoA also gets too up and my path tends to get closer to zero rather than to the right).
    Posted:
    Ping Traverse
    King Cobra F7 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Blue 60 set at 9.5*
    TEE E8 4W, 7W
    Ping G410 4H
    Mizuno JPX-900 Hot Metal 5-SW w/ Veylix Alpina 873
    TEE CB PROs 60*
    Scotty Cameron Squareback
  • Hookasaurus RexHookasaurus Rex Purveyor of fine turf  1105WRX Points: 128Members Posts: 1,105 Platinum Tees

It sounds like you may just not get along with the counterbalance, although the Hzrdus Red isn’t counterbalanced and you mentioned you couldn’t hit that. I mentioned the yellow just as another CB shaft I use, but I think the PO is vastly superior in feel and providing lower spin than the yellow.... I always need a little break in period with new shafts, to make sure I’m swinging well and not compensating in some manner for a diff shaft. I’d try it a few more times and if you don’t mesh with it at that point, pitch it and go back to the 63x. It may just be that the pro 63 is th3 perfect fit for you.

Posted:
    Cobra LTD Pro Aldila Copperhead 60tx/Callaway Tour issue Rogue SZ-V w 130msi Rogue White 60x
    Callaway Super Hybrid 16* Tensei Pro Orange 80s
    Ping G410 19* Hybrid Evenflow Black 85 6.0
    Taylormade p790 4-GW Project X LZ 6.0
    Cobra King Black 54*, 58* Modus Wedge 115
    PXG Bat Attack Extreme Darkness 35”

Advertisement

So did a fitting at lunch. And I got a swing tip which helped with the driver but was still getting pull hooks with the tensei pro orange. I also wasn’t getting enough launch or spin with it. I hit a few heads and shafts and really liked the atmos tour spec black 65x in the Mizuno driver. Performed way better. Still went a left with a bad swing but not nearly as much and the good swings were way better.

Posted:

Titleist Pro V1

I will say I hit the pro 63x in my driver and it didn’t work nearly as well either.

Posted:

Titleist Pro V1

• willseowillseo  119WRX Points: 33Handicap: 8Members Posts: 119 Fairways

From my experience, how stiff or loose the tip section of the shaft is seems to make a bit of difference. Profiles like the blueboard then to be easier to hook while a whiteboard won't as much. If you go with a more premium shaft like a Tensei PRO white or Atmos Tour Spec Black, those have been the best to reduce hooks for me personally.

Posted:
    Taylormade SIM 10.5 (testing shafts)
    Ping G410 15 - Tensei PRO White 70TX
    Titleist 818 H2 21 - Atmos Tour Spec Blue 8S
    Mizuno JPX919 Forged 5-GW - Project X LZ 6.0
    Ping Glide 3.0 54SS
    Taylormade Hi-Toe 58 ATV
    Evnroll ER5 or ER2B
  • ian-500ian-500  1055WRX Points: 286Handicap: 12Members Posts: 1,055 Platinum Tees

Is this the 2016 Fuji Pro, in blue? What about trying the Fujikura Pro 60x or 53s tipped of the same year? Might just be a weight thing.

Posted:
    DR: Taylormade Original One 11.5° + Tour AD DI 8x.
    FW: in the making.
    HY: Callaway Apex19 4h 23° + Tour AD IZ 95x.
    Irons: Taylormade R9 Forged 5i-PW + Quadra 100i Pro x.
    Wedges: in the making.
    SeeMore SB1, Accra FX300.
  • BookerBooker  798WRX Points: 98Members Posts: 798 Golden Tee

I would try adding head weight. I needed 7-8 grams in the head with the pro orange and it was a different animal especially if your playing it under 45. I had all kinds of strike issues when I first hit the pro orange, the shop didn't have any other weights so I grabbed some lead tape. Most people who try the p.o. don't add head weight and shops only have stock heads.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU  9642WRX Points: 3,098Handicap: 8Members Posts: 9,642 Titanium Tees

it could be that you are terrible at golf and should just give it up.

haha. Just kidding, just kidding. You say it is a 60x. what is your swing speed? From what i have seen with fitting the pro orange. it is very much a launch monitor monster. In real life, it suited hardly anyone, people get it because they think that with it being one of the most expensive shafts out there it has to be good. I am not saying this is you, Just my experience as a fitter. it is very very low spin (which adds to the hook) and counterbalanced. to me your swing weight is very low. Which good be why you are possibly throwing the club, causing a path to be to the left, and you are closing it down causing the hook.

i would say to increase your swing weight to a D4-5 and see what happens. if you have a couneter balanced shaft and a lightweight head, that is a recipe for troubles. They designed those shafts to be paired with heavier heads.

Posted:
    Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 3D 9*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
    3 iron Cobra King Utility Aldila Rouge 90 X flex
    4-PW Mizuno MP-18 MB Aldila RIP SLT Tour 115X Flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 52, 58, 64
    PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow

So I have lead tape and put in a heavier screw in the back. I had the m6 at d5.5 swing weight with the po. On my fitting today I was getting 108 mph driver swing speed. Was getting 260 carry at 15 degrees that rolled out to 290 with 1900 spin. My m6 couldn’t touch it

Posted:

Titleist Pro V1

I guess we can’t use the word screw on here.

Posted:

Titleist Pro V1

S c r e w

Posted:

Titleist Pro V1

What head did you test during the fitting?

Posted:
    Callaway MD3 52, 56, 60

Advertisement

Mizuno 190g

Posted:

Titleist Pro V1

• juggernaut0629juggernaut0629  1066WRX Points: 116Members Posts: 1,066 Platinum Tees

I personally like D8. Turns a driver into a Sledgehammer for me.

Posted:
    Ping G LST 9*
    Callaway Epic 3w & 5w Diamana Thump
    X2 Hot #4 Hybrid Matrix White Tie
    Ping ie1 5 - GW Nippon SPO
    Cleveland RTX-3 54* 58*

On -, @odshot68 said:

Mizuno 190g

Going to switch it up? Hard to argue with results. If your M6 can't keep up with it. What shaft in the Mizuno? Did you try that same shaft in the M6?

Posted:
    Callaway MD3 52, 56, 60

Advertisement

I was fit with the atmos tour spec black 60x in the mizzy. I only hit the 190g with it. I’m going to hit the standard 190 before I make my final decision. There was no comparison between the mizzy and my m6.

Posted:

Titleist Pro V1

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.