Grip Questions

Regripping my sticks for the first time and have a quick question (or two).   I have 4-PW, GW, SW, LW and Driver, 3W and a Hybrid in my bag (the putter grips is new).   The clubs all have different grips (4-PW are all the same) depending on when I bought them.   I would like consistency in my irons and woods.   I plan to put some kind of Wrap on all of the irons and maybe some cords on the woods.  The logic being I want more feel in the irons and more grip on the woods.   Does anyone here have different grips on their clubs like above?   Do most use the same grip for the whole bag?   Is there a huge downside to doing it this way?

Also where should I put the damned logo so that it does not feel weird when I choke down?  

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• jackbauerjackbauer Russian prisonMembers Posts: 290 ✭✭
    As of this weekend I'll have MCC Plus4s on my woods and Tour Velvet Plus4s on my irons for the same reason as you. Right now I have all standard Tour Velvets built up to replicate Plus4s and before that I had all MCC Plus4s. I go logos up because they provide a reference point for where to grip on partial wedge shots.
  • scomac2002scomac2002 Inside the Starters' Hut Members Posts: 5,426 ✭✭
    I think it all comes down to what you're used to.  I wouldn't go with something wildly different like corded grips on woods with soft synthetic grips on the irons and wedges, but I think you can mix and match the same style of grip although it may take a bit of extra tape to get the same finished diameter across your set.

I currently have Tour Velvets on my woods and Royal XV's on my irons/wedges with an extra wrap under the right hand with the Royals.  That gives me a consistent feel across the set.

I go with logo up as a reminder to keep the club face square.
    Your problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent!

Titleist 913 D2 12°
    Cobra Baffler Rail F 15.5°/20°
    TM '09 Rescue 25°
    TM Burner Plus 6-AW
    TM Z Spin 56°
    Rossa Tourismo 3 counterbalanced 37"
  • Bad9Bad9 Members Posts: 4,179 ✭✭
    I go with the same grips at the same installed size. The grip is the only part of the club you really touch and I believe you want that to feel as similar as possible to help ensure you grip each club consistently.
    Ping G400 10.5°/Xcaliber SL r flex
    Callaway Heavenwood Xcaliber SL r flex
    Maltby KE4 Tour 25°/Xcaliber HY r flex

Maltby KE4 Tour 28°/Xcaliber HY r flex
    Ping I200 5-G/CFS70 r flex
    Maltby Tricept 54°/Xcaliber r flex
    Maltby Tricept 58°/Xcaliber r flex
    Mizuno Bettinardi C06
  • kyleluteskylelutes Members Posts: 80 ✭✭
    I like different grips on fairway woods and driver.  Personal preference. 
  • Matt JMatt J Members Posts: 8,674 ✭✭
    Be careful, if you go much heavier like a cord grip the swing weight will change.
  • 5hort5tuff5hort5tuff Members Posts: 3,287 ✭✭

I play all the same (Sticky 2.3) on every club....except my driver. I use a stitchback leather.

COBRA LTD w. Hzrdus Red
    WISHON 919 w. Hzrdus Red
    TAYLORMADE Issue Aeroburner w. Tensei Blue
    PING G25 w. Tensei Blue
    PING I200 w. AWT 2.0
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth
    MannKrafted Carbon WB Rattler
    Xenon Copper Wide X
    SGC 902
  • cristphotocristphoto Members Posts: 3,296 ✭✭

I have the same grip on all my clubs except putter. Prefer the consistent feel through the bag. Be sure to check butt size on your shafts as that will impact the finished size. For example my driver and 3-wood were .610, Hybrid was .620, and irons were .600. So I used different amount of wraps to get close to the same size.

• chadly643chadly643 Members Posts: 453 ✭✭

100% personal preference. There is no wrong answer with grips. The nice thing is that it is a relatively affordable experiment.

• James the Hogan FanJames the Hogan Fan Members Posts: 356 ✭✭

My grips; putter-60-56-irons-hybrid-3w-driver. I have never felt the need to really match up grips on my clubs, I think I have many more issues in my game before that one becomes important. It’s all personal preference...

Golfing in Finland!