Grip Questions

Chicago1948 ·  
Chicago1948Chicago1948  1WRX Points: 0Handicap: 22Members Posts: 1 Starters
Regripping my sticks for the first time and have a quick question (or two).   I have 4-PW, GW, SW, LW and Driver, 3W and a Hybrid in my bag (the putter grips is new).   The clubs all have different grips (4-PW are all the same) depending on when I bought them.   I would like consistency in my irons and woods.   I plan to put some kind of Wrap on all of the irons and maybe some cords on the woods.  The logic being I want more feel in the irons and more grip on the woods.   Does anyone here have different grips on their clubs like above?   Do most use the same grip for the whole bag?   Is there a huge downside to doing it this way?

Also where should I put the damned logo so that it does not feel weird when I choke down?  

Thanks in advance.

Posted:

Comments

• jackbauerjackbauer Russian prison 341WRX Points: 151Handicap: 2.4Members Posts: 341 Greens
    As of this weekend I'll have MCC Plus4s on my woods and Tour Velvet Plus4s on my irons for the same reason as you. Right now I have all standard Tour Velvets built up to replicate Plus4s and before that I had all MCC Plus4s. I go logos up because they provide a reference point for where to grip on partial wedge shots.
    Posted:
    WITB
    TaylorMade M2 2016 (9.75) Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 S
    Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 (14), Adams Tight Lies 2 (19) Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7 S
    Mizuno MP-53 (3-PW, 20-48) KBS Tour 120
    Titleist Vokey SM7 S Grind (53.09, 59.11) KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125
    Edel McKenzie (34)
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • scomac2002scomac2002 Inside the Starters' Hut  6070WRX Points: 3,835Members Posts: 6,070 Titanium Tees
    I think it all comes down to what you're used to.  I wouldn't go with something wildly different like corded grips on woods with soft synthetic grips on the irons and wedges, but I think you can mix and match the same style of grip although it may take a bit of extra tape to get the same finished diameter across your set.

I currently have Tour Velvets on my woods and Royal XV's on my irons/wedges with an extra wrap under the right hand with the Royals.  That gives me a consistent feel across the set.

I go with logo up as a reminder to keep the club face square.
    Posted:
    Your problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent!

TM RBZ Black 12°
    Adams Tight Lies 2.0 16°/22°
    TM '09 Rescue 5H
    TM Burner Plus 6-AW
    Cleveland CBX 56° SW
    Cleveland Huntington Beach 6
  • Bad9Bad9  4690WRX Points: 553Handicap: 9.2Members Posts: 4,690 Titanium Tees
    I go with the same grips at the same installed size. The grip is the only part of the club you really touch and I believe you want that to feel as similar as possible to help ensure you grip each club consistently.
    Posted:
    Ping G410 Plus 10.5°/Alta CB55 r flex
    Ping G400 7w/Alta CB r flex
    Ping G400 4h/Xcaliber r flex
    Ping G400 5h/Xcaliber r flex
    Ping G400 6-U/Xcaliber r flex
    Ping Glide 2.0 ES 58°/Xcaliber r flex
    Mizuno Bettinardi C06
  • kyleluteskylelutes  82WRX Points: 47Members Posts: 82 Fairways
    I like different grips on fairway woods and driver.  Personal preference. 
    Posted:
  • Matt JMatt J  8735WRX Points: 337Members Posts: 8,735 Titanium Tees
    Be careful, if you go much heavier like a cord grip the swing weight will change.
    Posted:
  • 5hort5tuff5hort5tuff  3471WRX Points: 204Members Posts: 3,471 Titanium Tees

I play all the same (Sticky 2.3) on every club....except my driver. I use a stitchback leather.

Posted:
    COBRA LTD w. Hzrdus Red
    WISHON 919 w. Hzrdus Red
    TAYLORMADE Issue Aeroburner w. Tensei Blue
    PING G25 w. Tensei Blue
    PING I200 w. AWT 2.0
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth
    MannKrafted Carbon WB Rattler
    Xenon Copper Wide X
    SGC 902
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • cristphotocristphoto  3644WRX Points: 278Members Posts: 3,644 Titanium Tees

I have the same grip on all my clubs except putter. Prefer the consistent feel through the bag. Be sure to check butt size on your shafts as that will impact the finished size. For example my driver and 3-wood were .610, Hybrid was .620, and irons were .600. So I used different amount of wraps to get close to the same size.

Posted:
  • chadly643chadly643  510WRX Points: 133Members Posts: 510 Golden Tee

100% personal preference. There is no wrong answer with grips. The nice thing is that it is a relatively affordable experiment.

Posted:
  • James the Hogan FanJames the Hogan Fan  1021WRX Points: 679Handicap: 12Members Posts: 1,021 Platinum Tees

My grips; putter-60-56-irons-hybrid-3w-driver. I have never felt the need to really match up grips on my clubs, I think I have many more issues in my game before that one becomes important. It’s all personal preference...

Posted:
    Golfing in Finland!
    Taylormade R15
    W/S Fybrid 3W
    W/S Fybrid 5W
    Hogan Apex 2003 (3-E)
    Mizuno 56
    Maxfli Revolution 60
    Macgregor Jackie Pung Putter #10

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.