Interlock vs Vardon

drbonesvtdrbonesvt ClubWRX Posts: 8,074 ClubWRX

I know the Vardon used to be the predominate grip on tour, has the interlock bc of the Jack, Tiger, etc become the favorite now?
Just curious

DJ, Rahm, Rose, use the Vardon
Rory, Bryson, Tiger, Woodland - Interlock

With Bryson being so analytical , what his thoughts on the difference between the two are?

8.5 (9.2*) G400 LST Tensi Pro White 70TX (tipped 1")@44.75" +5gr Hot Melt Toe<br />M1 16' Tour Issue 15.0* (14.2*) Diamana D+ Limited 90tx (Tipped 2.5”) @ 43" |<br />Titleist 2i 18.5* T-MB AD DI 105x (Tipped 2.5”) | Sans 2i R15 5w Fit on Pro 95XX (tipped 2.5”)<br />Titleist MB 716 3-PW (47* PW) Tour Issue X100s (HSx1) <br />54* Wedge Works V grind & 60* Wedge Works M grind - Tour Issue S400 <br />Bettinardi BB8 Trisole or Toulon San Diego <br />All Zcord All the Time <br />all woods & 2i hot melted <br /><br />WITB Link

Comments

• c7015c7015 Members Posts: 2,078 ✭✭

I do interlock

I like Vardon too (particularly with irons) but I end up bruising my knuckle every time I have switched to it.

But if your looking for a placebo to fix something in your game this is a great change up.

915 D3 Rip Phenom 70g (S Flex)
    913 FD 3 wood Whiteboard (X Flex)
    915 F 5 wood Blueboard (S Flex)
    712 U 4 Iron | 714 AP2 5 Iron
    714cb 6-PW
    Vokey 52, 56, 60
    SC Newport 2.5
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members Posts: 6,188 ✭✭

I interlock, always have. I tried overlap at one point but it just felt all loose.

driver: SRIXON Z745
    fairway: NIKE VAPOR 13*
    3-4 IRON: MIZZY MP18MMC FLIHI
    5-9 IRONS: MP5 DG AMT X100
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX 4: 48, 53, 58, 64
    PUTTER; RIFE Cayman
    BALL; various, ask me that day.
  • tbowles411tbowles411 ClubWRX Posts: 25,056 ✭✭

I've always interlocked because of my hand size. I keep thinking that the club is going to fly out of my hands if I switch.

**Bag Construction in Progress**
    Mizuno ST190 G 9.5 (Lofted to 10)
    Mizuno ST190 3TS
    Mizuno CLK 2 Hybrid
    Mizuno Fli-Hi 4 Iron Replacement
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal (5-PW)
    Mizuno S18 Wedges - Blue Ion (50-7, 54-12, 58-16, 62-8)
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X12
    PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**
  • drbonesvtdrbonesvt ClubWRX Posts: 8,074 ClubWRX

Unfortunately I’ve been switching between both

Really like the interlock for irons

Overlap or Vardon for wedges and driving ,

Learned with Interlock , but leaning toward overlap , takes left out of the equation more for me

8.5 (9.2*) G400 LST Tensi Pro White 70TX (tipped 1")@44.75" +5gr Hot Melt Toe<br />M1 16' Tour Issue 15.0* (14.2*) Diamana D+ Limited 90tx (Tipped 2.5”) @ 43" |<br />Titleist 2i 18.5* T-MB AD DI 105x (Tipped 2.5”) | Sans 2i R15 5w Fit on Pro 95XX (tipped 2.5”)<br />Titleist MB 716 3-PW (47* PW) Tour Issue X100s (HSx1) <br />54* Wedge Works V grind & 60* Wedge Works M grind - Tour Issue S400 <br />Bettinardi BB8 Trisole or Toulon San Diego <br />All Zcord All the Time <br />all woods & 2i hot melted <br /><br />WITB Link
  • RainShadowRainShadow Tucson AZ (for now)Members Posts: 3,609 ✭✭
    edited Mar 22, 2019 6:05pm #6

Learned Vardon as a child.
    About 10 years ago I was hitting a lot of balls in cold, damp western Washington and developed some painful bumps on my finger joints, so switched to interlock.
    Recently notice I was having some tension in my grip that I didn't like, so started going with the Vardon again.......
    We'll see how it works out, but so far its helping me a bit with that problem.

Ping G400 10.5 Hzrdus Yellow 75
    Rogue 4 wd. Atmos Blue TS 7 
    G 410 19* Tour 85
    Apex  23 & 26 Kuro Kage
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW Modus 105s (In Play) / Srixon Z765 6-GW Modus 105s (Standing By)
    MackDaddy4 Black 54 S and RTX 3 Raw 58* 
     Bettinardi '16 BB1 / '16 Bettinardi Tiki /  '17 Studio Stock 8
    Chrome Soft / TP5/ Wilson Staff FG Tour
  • GolfnutgalenGolfnutgalen Members Posts: 2,498 ✭✭

Interlock sure seems to be more popular nowadays. Let's take a look at the top 25 on tour:
    Inter: 14
    Rory, Brooks, JT, Rickie, Xander, Tiger, Tony, Paul, Cantlay, Bubba, Webb, Woodland, Hideki, Smith
    Over: 11
    Dustin, Rose, Bryson, Moli, Rahm, Tommy, Jason, Patrick, Leishman, Phil, Kuchar

• lumberman2462lumberman2462 Members Posts: 5,325 ✭✭

Started interlock at 10 years old and didn't switch to overlap until college when I was going through a phase of horrible ball striking. Stayed with it until a few years ago until I picked up a club and interlocked. Felt so good that I stayed with it.

SYard T388
    TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
    Miura CB-57 3-PW
    Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
    Old Titleist Blade
  • TadTad Posts: 194 ✭✭

My glove size is a Cadet Small, and have used the interlock for the first 15 years of playing golf, developed some real painful calcium deposits in the overlap area , changed to Vardon grip which felt so foreign to me. I quickly adapted and have actually more control with a lighter grip with the overlap vs interlock. Cant think of ever going back.
    Tad

Ping Rapture V2 10.5*/ Harrison Saga 70grms
    TEE Trilogy 15*/ GD Tour AD
    TEE Trilogy 18*/GD Tour AD
    Adams Idea Pro 20* VS Proto
    Srixon I701 Tour 4-Pw, Project X
    Titleist Spin Milled 50*
    Fourteen MT28 v5 56*
    Taylormade Original itsy bitsy spider 33/370grms
  • Ashley SchaefferAshley Schaeffer Posts: 1,924 ✭✭
    edited Mar 22, 2019 7:15pm #10

I freaking love this place sometimes!
    OP: "What's the predominant grip on Tour now?"
    GOLFWRX: "Well, I . . ."

8.5* TS3 - Evenflow White T-1100
    15* M2 2017
    18* M2 2017
    4-PW Mizuno JPX850F
    SM7 50*, 54*, 60*
    SC Newport Two
  • Vardon GripVardon Grip Members Posts: 428 ✭✭

Did someone say Vardon?
    I started with interlock and then my fingers started to hurt, went overlap and never changed again. No real difference in scoring, (not that it was ever that great to begin with).
    I've seen people with 10 finger grip play well. I think its super personal, there's probably more important parts of the game that are worth more attention. Grip matters, but I think you can get strong, weak, neutral with just about anyway one holds the handle.

• golfandfishinggolfandfishing Members Posts: 3,387 ✭✭

The interlock is a scourge on the game!

I’m off to yell at clouds now.......

• daleheaddalehead Members Posts: 1,439 ✭✭

Interesting to see how many players are using the interlocking grip. And yes I definitely think it's the influence of Jack and especially Tiger. I can just imagine youngsters who learned the game in the last 20 or 25 years staring with the interlocking grip because that's the way Tiger gripped the club.

• bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 24,993 ✭✭
    edited Mar 23, 2019 9:47pm #14

I have big hands and cannot like overlap. Interlock is what I went with after swapping from 10 finger. I don’t know how people do it with the right hand so disconnected from the club. My right hand comes off anyway. If I didn’t have it interlocked I’d swing one handed A lot.

Best players in the history of the game interlocked so why not me ?

TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • Mike_CMike_C Members Posts: 1,425 ✭✭
    edited Mar 23, 2019 10:02pm #15

@drbonesvt said:
    Unfortunately I’ve been switching between both

Really like the interlock for irons

Overlap or Vardon for wedges and driving ,

Learned with Interlock , but leaning toward overlap , takes left out of the equation more for me

Similar here. Learned with interlock because of Jack. Switched to Vardon in high school. In college, broke my left hand trigger finger knuckle, which when it healed, made it hard to bend it,and interlock at the time would have hurt anyway, so played Vardon from then on (next 30 years), but it was at first a slight variation, I almost didn't' have my left trigger finger on the club , as I couldn't bend it much for many years. Then about 10 years ago, started having really bad pains in my left wrist from metacarpal bossing, it would hurt right at/after impact. Tried adjusting grips, shafts, nothing seemed to help, then one day tried interlocking again on a whim, and for some reason, when I hit the ball, it stopped hurting. However, for touch shots and up to full wedges, I still go back to the Vardon grip.

WITB
    2017 9.5 M2 Tour AD DI 7X
    Srixon Z F85 15* HZRDUS 75 Yellow 6.0
    Big Bertha Alpha 815 Hybrid 18* Fujikura Speeder 865 S
    Srixon U85 23* Recoil F5
    Srixon Z945 5-PW Recoil Proto 95 F5
    Cleveland RTX4 50 Mid Recoil 95 F5
    Callaway MD 4 56/10 S Recoil 125 F5
    Callaway MD 4 60/12 W Recoil Proto 125 F5
    Never Compromise Dinero  Baron 
    Srixon Z Star
  • Broessner71Broessner71 Members Posts: 82 ✭✭

Whatever gives your the most consistency so be it

• tideridertiderider Members Posts: 1,471 ✭✭
    edited Mar 24, 2019 2:03am #17

used vardon from 12 to about 32 yo ... have switched back and forth for about 15 years now ... prefer interlock, but feel that when i'm not swinging "fast", the vardon gives me more wrist flexibility at impact ... none of the changes have helped my putting, however ...

• MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members Posts: 4,742 ClubWRX

The interlock has definitely shot up in popularity since the coming of Tiger. I can speak to it myself being a kid and him coming out using an interlocking grip. It meant that I did exactly the same. I don't anymore though, I had to change a couple of years ago. For whatever reason, interlocking was causing pain in my right hand but since changing over, I have managed to completely avoid it.

Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow White T1100
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08, 54.10 & 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x
  • kyleluteskylelutes Members Posts: 80 ✭✭

I played vardon for 20 years. After trying interlock on the range, I've played with it every since (around 5 yrs). Vardon feels less controllable now.

• VindogVindog Don't order the schnitzel. They're using schnauzer! Members Posts: 17,467 ✭✭

I think grip is a preference and there are too many players that have success with different grips to really get a consensus. I personally cant really interlock because my fingers resemble sweet italian sausages, and it just feels bad. I don't overlap either because I find that I don't turn the club over as well.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
    a couple of outdated hybrids
    shovel-ier shovels
    wedges from same shovel company
    some putter with a dead insert and
    a hideous grip
  • gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,159 ✭✭

I use the Vardon for most shots, but I use interlock for sand shots to bet a bit more wrist action into the shot.

with a lot of recreational players using interlock, I see them gripping the club too much in the palm, and a tendency to see weak left hand grips. I tried to play interlock for awhile, and I might have been a bit longer with the driver, but struggled with a fade. My results, my viewpoint.

On Sundays, I used to play hickory
  • GolfjackGolfjack All about the rotation Posts: 944 ✭✭

Whichever one doesn't hurt my fingers! I was doing ten finger for a while since overlap was doing something weird (ok it was me) with a nail digging into a finger. Now I've changed some things in my swing I went to interlock as I feel like it's secure, let's my wrists move freely, and so far no self mutilation.

TM M4 Driver 10.5
    TM M4 3 wood 16
    4H (22) Aeroburner TP
    Mizuno MP-15 4, 5 iron, Project X LZ 6.5
    Mizuno MP-5 6-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
    Wedges Mizuno T7 50, 56, 60
    Honma HP 1002

Alternate set:
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9.5, Nike VR Pro 4-PW DG x100, Titleist AP2 712 DG x100 4-P, Callaway Jaws X Series CC Wedges 52 56 60, , Odyssey Arm Lock Putter, Gauge Design Eldik Putter with Superstroke Fatso 5
  • MidwestGolfBumMidwestGolfBum Corporate Golfer Extraordinaire MSN/MKE/DSMMembers Posts: 1,283 ✭✭

I learned the game with the Vardon and never changed. I have toyed around with the interlock on the range but it never really feels as good, to me. I play with a fair amount of high level players and they all have their own version of whatever they choose. I have seen some really good players with the 10 finger grip because they moved from baseball to golf at some point in their life and that's just what felt the most comfortable. Had a friend growing up who I still play with from time to time who plays cack-handed and he plays to somewhere between a 1 and 3. In the end, you use what is the most comfortable, learn how to hit the shots you want with it, and don't change unless you have to.

Titleist TS3 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei White 70TX
    Titleist 917F3 15* Graphite Design AD-DI 7X black
    Titleist T-MB 2i Graphite Design AD-95X Utility/Driving iron
    Titleist 714 MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100 or Cally RazrX MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100
    Vokey SM7, 52.08, 56.10, 60.08 True Temper TI S400
    Byron DH89 or Piretti Proto

The bag is always a work in progress.
  • clp34vmpclp34vmp Cancel that mead Posts: 230 ✭✭

I was taught interlock as a kid and that's all I ever knew until a few years ago. From time to time (including currently), I start to get some pain in my right pinky finger and my left index finger. If I had to guess I'd say too much grip pressure at times is at least partly responsible for that. A few years ago, I gave the overlap a try for the first time, and it just felt so weird to me that I wasn't able to stick with it. In recent years I've tried a couple of more times but always end up going back to interlock because in my mind I just feel like I've got more control of the club. The present case of finger pain is amongst the worst I've had, though, so I'm back to giving overlap one more shot. Yesterday out on the course I was switching between the two almost at random,which I'm thinking is probably not the way you want to go long term. Maybe if I just force myself to do the overlap for a while it will start to feel more comfortable.

• lowheellowheel LOWHEEL Members Posts: 5,976 ✭✭

Easier to fade the ball with vardon easier to draw with interlock

• 3jacker3jacker Members Posts: 980 ✭✭

Learned Vardon, like Vardon, don't think it really matters.
    I think the prevalence of interlock today was influenced by it being the grip used by 1st, Jack, then 2nd, Tiger. Who wouldn't want to copy the best?

Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
    TM V-Steel 4wd Protopype 80X
    Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
    Callaway Apex MB 4-PW KBS C-Taper X
    Cleveland 52*/58* CG10 KBS C-Taper X
    Sizemore XB-1
  • 8overpar8overpar Members Posts: 179 ✭✭

I start Vardon and just after impact (being a RH player) my left hand is all 5 and my bottom hand ends up with the pinky, ring and middle finger only hanging on. I had no idea until I set up a camera. Thumb and index are just along for the ride.

Titleist 915D3 9.5° - Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
    Titleist 915F 15° - Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
    Titleist 716CB - KBS Tour-S
    Titleist Vokey SM6 52/08 (F) - KBS Tour-S
    Titleist Vokey SM6 60/04 (L) - TT Wedge flex
    CNC SS Xenon Element
    TaylorMade TP5X
  • BlackM00NlightBlackM00Nlight IowaMembers Posts: 3,534 ✭✭

Always been an interlock guy. I’ve tried overlap but I feel less secure and less consistent in my grip with it.

Mizuno ST-190G Tensei White 70X
    Mizuno ST-190TS 15* Tensei White 70X
    Nike Vapor Pro Combo 2-A wedge AMT X100 (plus 1/2" 3 up)
    Nike Engage Dual Sole 58 DG S400 (plus 1/2" 3 up)
    Nike Origin B1-01
    Nike RZN Tour Platinum

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file