HELP! Need hope on choosing new iron shafts!

fisherman_golf ·  
fisherman_golffisherman_golf  1WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 1 Starters

Recently, I decided to upgrade my set of Ping S56 irons that I've had in the bag since they came out. I hit everything out on the market at the moment from the i500 to the P760, P730 and everything in between.
I am a scratch player but I don't play as much as I'd like. I carry my 7 iron about 180 on a good day and swing at about 114mph with a driver.

I've always liked a slightly lighter shaft as I feel that it forces me to slow down and control my swing just slightly. I decided to go for the P760 head, but I am stuck between shafts. On one end, I really like the Nippon Modus3 105, but on the other end, the True Temper 120g X100 feels like butter too. I tried to play a Tour Issue X100 about a year ago and lost my swing with it and will not go back to a 130+ gram.

With my swing speed and moderate tempo, will a 105g vs. 120g shaft really make too much of a difference? And is there a reason to favor Nippon over True Temper or vice versa?

Any advice or direction is much appreciated as I haven't had much luck in discussions of these two shafts and weights when it comes to slightly higher swing speeds. Thank you!!

Posted:

Comments

• MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free.  2608WRX Points: 486Members Posts: 2,608 Titanium Tees

Honestly, go get fitted on a solid launch monitor. My 7 iron swing speed was around 95 and I hit it high with a ton of spin... went to get fit and got handed an allegedly high spin shaft and I spun it less than most everything. I ended up in I think dg 120s as I spun them the least and like the feel best .

Posted:

Current Bag (Rebuilding as of 5/6/19)
    Driver: Adams Fast 12 LS with Matrix Black Tie (to be replaced)
    3W: Adams Fast 12 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    Hybrid: Bridgestone j40 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    4-9: Taylor Made Oversize (to be replaced)
    PW: Mizuon HMP with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    50 degree Vokey with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    56 and 60 degree Cleveland Wedges (to be replaced)
    Odyssey Tank #7 (only club I'm keeping this season)

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • HubijerkHubijerk  837WRX Points: 139Members Posts: 837 Golden Tee

Nippon qc seems to be a step above. I built a set of Irons with Nippon shafts and they were all within .5g of eachother. The 125's and the 105's are going to be similar to the x100's but with a more active feel as to not feel boardy. The 130's have a softer tip which produces a slightly higher launch but lower spin so it's a flat flight. The 120x and TX are unique iron shaft profiles along the lines of the handle soft tip stiff whiteboard profile from Mitsubishi.

I am personally a fan of the Nippon shafts and from the sound of things I would give the 105x an extended test run if I were you. I don't particularly care for light shafts and I had no problem hitting them with any kind of flight I wanted. I settled on the 130x's purely based on comfort and preference and could not be happier. When I was testing shafts I built 2 7 irons with different shafts and hit all sorts of shots with them. I know people like to say go get fit but I can honestly say I have never ended up gaming something that was the best performer on the launch monitor. The fittings get me in the ballpark and then I do lots of play testing, I hate changing equipment for this reason, it's a lot of work, so I typically mimic exact set ups, swingweights, etc. as much as I can to keep it familiar. Find single 6 or 7i with those two shafts and spend some time with them. Worst case you sell one at a slight loss and keep the other as a rock club/spare beater. In the end the cost of buying a single iron or two to test drive is insignificant to the expense of getting the wrong shafts in a new set.

The Nippon wedge shafts are outstanding as well, my 125 wedge shafts offer me a bit more spin control then s400's, they just always seem to generate the perfect amount of spin I'm looking for and are very consistent in flight as well.

Posted:
    You can't sneak the cheese by a rat

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.