Recommendations on cheaper putter (can be used)

n8rsgonnan8n8rsgonnan8 ImprovingMembers Posts: 25 ✭✭
edited Mar 23, 2019 12:46am in Putters #1

My fiance has started golfing a few years ago and she got a wilson 12ish club & bag combo. It comes with a blade putter but she really wants a mallet, I have a 2 ball blade and she likes the feeling of extra weight and more stability. I've added some lead tape to her putter which has helped, but still not ideal. What would you recommend as a good starter mallet putter. This can definitely be used, hoping to not have to spend more than $40, I'm expecting to have cut it down and put on a new grip which brings the total cost around $50.
We joined a course at the end of next year, the course has complimentary range and she finished up law school so I'm hoping she can have some really big improvements this year with unlimited range and a lot more time.

Cobra F8+ Driver
Ping G15 3 wood
Taylormade M2 3 hybrid
Srixon Z765 4-pw
Vokey SM6 50, 54, 58
Odyssey 2-ball blade

Comments

• roundersmittyroundersmitty Posts: 1,104 ✭✭

Made a older used white hot Odyssey mallet? See what style suits her

2017 M1 10.5* Kuro Kage 60s
    Exotics 16.5* Exotics Fuji 72s
    Adams XTD ti 20* Red Tie S
    TM P770 4-P Steelfiber i95s
    TM MG 50*,56*,60* Steelfiber i95s
    Odyssey EXO Seven S
  • James the Hogan FanJames the Hogan Fan Members Posts: 341 ✭✭

You could try the Wilson harmonized line, I know it’s kinda their store-brand but I imagine it could get the job done. You could also try the old cleveland VP line, the VP-5 is a club I’ve actually tried and got decent results with, but I couldn’t stand the look. (If you were local to Finland I’d let mine go) I think they also have a more conservative VP-3

Best of luck!

Golfing in Finland!
  • geno4952geno4952 Posts: 119 ✭✭

an old Callaway 2ball or if you want to go really on the cheap you could look for either an old Zebra putter or maybe a Ray Cook model M1 (with the slot)

Now Playing.... backup bag No.2

TM R7 10.5* driver
    TM 200 series 3 wood
    Callaway Heaven Wood
    1987 Ping Eye 2 Black dot 3-PW
    Ping Eye 2 sw
    Ping Eye 2 lw
    Ping Kushin putter ...(changes often)

Peace
  • Mike_CMike_C Members Posts: 1,423 ✭✭

Used Cleveland Classics. They were only $100 new. Something like a BRZ #5 might work. I still play the BRZ 2....

WITB
    2017 9.5 M2 Tour AD DI 7X
    Srixon Z F85 15* HZRDUS 75 Yellow 6.0
    Big Bertha Alpha 815 Hybrid 18* Fujikura Speeder 865 S
    Srixon U85 23* Recoil F5
    Srixon Z945 5-PW Recoil Proto 95 F5
    Cleveland RTX4 50 Mid Recoil 95 F5
    Callaway MD 4 56/10 S Recoil 125 F5
    Callaway MD 4 60/12 W Recoil Proto 125 F5
    Never Compromise Dinero  Baron 
    Srixon Z Star
  • n8rsgonnan8n8rsgonnan8 Improving Members Posts: 25 ✭✭

This looks kinda nice, great suggestion!

Cobra F8+ Driver
    Ping G15 3 wood
    Taylormade M2 3 hybrid
    Srixon Z765 4-pw
    Vokey SM6 50, 54, 58
    Odyssey 2-ball blade

@Mike_C said:
    Used Cleveland Classics. They were only $100 new. Something like a BRZ #5 might work. I still play the BRZ 2....

I didn't even think of the cleveland classics, definitely will check out ebay and 3balls for some!

Cobra F8+ Driver
    Ping G15 3 wood
    Taylormade M2 3 hybrid
    Srixon Z765 4-pw
    Vokey SM6 50, 54, 58
    Odyssey 2-ball blade

• BaitkillerBaitkiller Members Posts: 1,707 ✭✭

Zebra

Turn over damnit!
    Krank 9* Formula 5 UST Tour
    Adams 15* wasabi
    XXIO pro 5
    Adams Pro Gold Forged 3-46* / Steelfibers
    Vanilla wedges 53 and 58*
    Betti-1
    K-sig
  • haakzillahaakzilla Haakzilla Members Posts: 355 ✭✭

Never Compromise Voodoo Daddy! (My wife loves it -- well balanced, milled face, easy alignment, fun name)
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=voodoo+daddy+putter&_sacat=0&_sop=15

DRIVER: Ping G400 LST 8.5° Tensei CK Pro Orange 70tx
    WOOD: Titleist 910Fd 15° Diamana D+ LTD 80x
    UTILITY: Nike Vapor Fly Pro 3i 19° Steelfiber i110
    IRONS: Srixon z945 4-PW Steelfiber i110
    WEDGES: Edel DVR 50°/54°/58° Steelfiber i125
    PUTTER(S): TP Mills Forged Huey / Bettinardi Queen B QB5 / Studio Select Squareback No.2
    Sponsored by Central Oregon Golf
  • gamesgames Argue for your limitations and they are yours. WisconsinMembers Posts: 1,690 ✭✭

First to the OP, congrats on your pending marriage to another golfer! This year will mark my 30th wedding anniversary with a non-golfer. (That's good and bad.)

A little advice: She's going to want to see pictures at address. Most guys will feel whether or not a putter works, and as long as it doesn't look like half a stove-top burner stuck on a stick, we'll game it. Just make sure she sees a pic from the top, first!

• Mike_CMike_C Members Posts: 1,423 ✭✭

@haakzilla said:
    Never Compromise Voodoo Daddy! (My wife loves it -- well balanced, milled face, easy alignment, fun name)
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=voodoo+daddy+putter&_sacat=0&_sop=15

Another good choice. I had a Never Compromise Z/1 Alpha years ago, very solid mallet....

WITB
    2017 9.5 M2 Tour AD DI 7X
    Srixon Z F85 15* HZRDUS 75 Yellow 6.0
    Big Bertha Alpha 815 Hybrid 18* Fujikura Speeder 865 S
    Srixon U85 23* Recoil F5
    Srixon Z945 5-PW Recoil Proto 95 F5
    Cleveland RTX4 50 Mid Recoil 95 F5
    Callaway MD 4 56/10 S Recoil 125 F5
    Callaway MD 4 60/12 W Recoil Proto 125 F5
    Never Compromise Dinero  Baron 
    Srixon Z Star

@games said:
    First to the OP, congrats on your pending marriage to another golfer! This year will mark my 30th wedding anniversary with a non-golfer. (That's good and bad.)

A little advice: She's going to want to see pictures at address. Most guys will feel whether or not a putter works, and as long as it doesn't look like half a stove-top burner stuck on a stick, we'll game it. Just make sure she sees a pic from the top, first!

Thank you! and congrats on 30 years. I'd like it to be a surprise, but I think what we should do is go to a store and just try a few things out, see what she likes, then try to find something similar used. She's expressed it multiple times that she doesn't want to spend too much at this point. She feels she doesn't play enough to be worth spending a lot. I have a slightly opposing thought. Get her something she likes so she'll want to get out more.

Cobra F8+ Driver
    Ping G15 3 wood
    Taylormade M2 3 hybrid
    Srixon Z765 4-pw
    Vokey SM6 50, 54, 58
    Odyssey 2-ball blade

• deepreddeepred Members Posts: 219 ✭✭

Zebra putters are cheap and quite good, but if you have a Dicks nearby, their Topflight line is inexpensive and a real value, plus she could try a few out.

Wilson Staff M3 4-GW
    Cleveland Classic XL Driver
    Wilson Fybrid 15*
    KE4 5 wood
    Maltby SW54, black
    Snake Eyes SW
    Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
    Ram Zebra deep face, black
  • gamesgames Argue for your limitations and they are yours. WisconsinMembers Posts: 1,690 ✭✭

@deepred said:
    Zebra putters are cheap and quite good, but if you have a Dicks nearby, their Topflight line is inexpensive and a real value, plus she could try a few out.

I have a Top Flite Tour 5.0 which I gamed for about a year with mixed results. After reading a post about how crooked the original grips were installed, I looked at mine and it was off a bit. Had it replaced, and there was a marked improvement in my putting. Had a Club Champion fitting where the fitter adjusted my loft based on SAM Puttlab results. After he took it off the bending machine, he gave it a few practice strokes. He handed it back to me and made a comment about what a nice feel it had.

• KloeshumanKloeshuman Members Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited Mar 24, 2019 4:56pm #16

Look for the Pinemeadow brand, my local Dunhams carries them and they are pretty inexspencive

• g-offg-off Members Posts: 310 ✭✭

If you have a play it again locally you may want to look there, also craigslist

epic flash driver

steelhead xr heavenwood

steelhead xr 9 wood

hogan ft worth hi 22

edel sls 01 5-s

hogan tk 58

putter rotates daily

always hoing the next best thing
  • JAMH03JAMH03 Members Posts: 265 ✭✭

Maybe my mistakes can help someone else. Let's see.

She likes your two-ball.

So follow the rule of thumb.
    You get her as good as you have or better.

No she's not going to be playing as much as you. No she won't know the difference. But if you think she doesn't care... you're well on your way to learning a painful lesson.

_Get her as good as you have or better. _

And you can't very well get her a 2ball and then change to a scotty bad idea. I mean you can but not right away.

If it were me knowing what I know now? I'd just buy her a 2 ball and then I'd give her a choice of grips. Take the ones she doesn't like back to the store and have the one she likes installed so she has some buy in.

Again you're not paying for a putter that she'll maximize and get the most out of you're paying for the ability to go golfing when she doesn't feel like going.

Were it me I'd look at the RED 2balls from cally preowned about $80. I understand this is above your budget but I think the ends justifies the means. If she likes the blade better than the mallet then find her one of those.

No idea if she likes pink but I thought this kind of putter might make a nice gift. You could roll it up into all of your other graduation gifts just a thought.

h ttps://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ODYSSEY-Putter-O-WORKS-PINK-2-BALL-2018-model-mens-73083951534000-Right-loft/254172214623?epid=22021802131&hash=item3b2dd8355f:g:eZcAAOSw9Ylck3~o

Comparisons are odious.

• boggymanboggyman Members Posts: 2,541 ✭✭

For the money, head to beat the Cleveland or Wilson Staff putters.

• bigmoneypbigmoneyp MichiganMembers Posts: 3,224 ✭✭
    Callaway X-Hot 3 Deep 14.5*
    Callaway Steelhead XR Hybrid 19*
    Callaway Steelhead XR Hybrid 22*
    Maltby DBM 4-PW w. PX LZ 6.0
    Taylormade Milled Grind 52* (bent to 50)
    Taylormade Milled Grind 58*
    Taylormade TP Mullen
    Callaway Hex Tour Soft
  • gibbyfangibbyfan Members Posts: 1,186 ✭✭
    edited Apr 1, 2019 12:35am #22

Go to a play it again sports or something like that. Maybe ask around your club if someone has something stashed in their lockers. When I worked at a club a number of years ago I found all sorts of clubs that members forgot they had. I bought a 3 wd for a few cocktails at the bar.

• Original Seemore FGP . Still a great putter and pretty cheap to pick up

Callaway GBB Epic, DR 11.5°
    Ping G400 SFT, 3W 16° & 5W 19°
    Callaway Apex '16 Hyb, 4 / 23°
    Srixon Z765, 5-8 iron (+2°), 9 iron (+1°)
    Titleist Vokey SM6 46°08F
    / 50.08F / 54.10S / 60.08M
    SeeMore Nashville z3c black w/ superstroke flatso 2.0 countercore 
    Srixon Z Star XV
  • homergolfhomergolf Bay Village, OHPosts: 1,676 ✭✭

Found a Ping Caedence TR Shea H in almost new condition at GG in the used putter section. It is the heavier version. Cost was $44 including the head cover. Had them trim it down to 33”, bend it 2 flat, and put a Super Stroke 3.0 Slim grip on it and it is challenging my SC GoLo 3 for top spot. Great putter.

Ping G400, 9, adjusted to 10
    Epic Flash 3-wood, 15
    Rogue 4-wood, 17
    Epic 4 hybrid, 23
    AP3, 5-48*
    SM6 54, 10
    SM6 60, 8
    SC GoLo 3, 33"

...for now
  • Liquid_A_45Liquid_A_45 Broken Arrow, OKMembers Posts: 717 ✭✭

@n8rsgonnan8 said:

@Mike_C said:

I didn't even think of the cleveland classics, definitely will check out ebay and 3balls for some!

Another vote for a Cleveland Classic. Love my #2!