Trick to squaring up putter grip?

I am going to be re gripping a couple of my putters and was wondering if anyone had a trick to make sure the grip is perfectly straight?

Titleist TS2 10.5 EvenFlow T1100 75g 6.5
Titleist 915F2 15*
Titleist TMB 18* Recoil 110X
Titleist 718 AP2 4-PW DG X100
Titleist SM4 TVD 51* M
Titleist SM7 55* F
Titleist SM4 TVD 59* M
Cushman Custom Golf Laguna 34"
Srixon Z Star
Mackenzie Walker

Comments

• I_HATE_SNOWI_HATE_SNOW Members Posts: 3,228 ✭✭

If you have a clamp, I've heard of using a level. I do it by eye but I'm using air so I can adjust it any time I want.

• evanleeballevanleeball Members Posts: 485 ✭✭
    edited Mar 23, 2019 2:09pm #3

I like to use a 90 degree angle (wall or door). Make the face flush to one side and make sure the flat side of the grip is flush to the other.

• AmazinBlueAmazinBlue Members Posts: 1,102 ✭✭

I use a plumb bob on a string for the vertical line for the face and the horizontal of the goldsmith speed grip clamp unit. Sometimes a small 6-inch level if I question it

Ping G400 Max 9* - 8* Tour 65 S 44.5"
    Ping G400 14.5* Tour 75 Stiff
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* PX LZ 75g Stiff
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 23* Kuro Kage 80 Hy stiff
    Taylormade P770 5-PW Nippon Modus3 120 S
    Vokey SM6 48* F Grind Steel Gray
    Vokey SM6 54*/08* M Grind Steel Gray
    Vokey SM7 58*/14* D Grind Tour Chrome
    TM Tour Spider Black 34.25" 2* flat 2x 14g weight
    Callaway ERC Soft
  • wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE Members Posts: 3,800 ✭✭

The surface of your work bench has a decent flat surface to be used as a guide.
    Easy to adjust either using air to install or a quick hand while the solvent is not dry.

• MadGolfer76MadGolfer76 Admiration is the state furthest from understanding. Members Posts: 19,840 ✭✭

My trick is to let my pro do it.

Mizuno St-180 9.5
    Mizuno JPX 900 15
    Mizuno CLK 19, 22
    Mizuno JPX 900 5-Gw
    (Wedges TBD)
    (Putter TBD)
    Srixon Z-Star
    WITB
  • toctoc Members Posts: 2,712 ✭✭

I just eyeball it...

Glove: ML
    Tees: 2 3/4
    Towel: white
    Repair tool: metal
    Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
    Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying
  • IvanDragoIvanDrago Members Posts: 450 ✭✭

look down the grip and shaft and use the line on the putter head.

if your grip is parrallel to that then its square

• Awainer1Awainer1 Members Posts: 846 ✭✭
    edited Mar 24, 2019 12:29pm #9

Take a golf tee and put the head of it where you would rest the ball facing down on the flat part of the grip. Look down the shaft and align the tee with the face of the putter.

• SocratesSocrates How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn? WinnipegClubWRX Posts: 9,166 ClubWRX
    edited Mar 24, 2019 4:44pm #10

I'll do any or all of the above when it's not mine (depends on the shape of the grip). If it is mine, I'll do one or more of the above and then putt with it before it is dry. I'll then grip it and then ramp up my grip pressure (like on a sphincter puckering putt) and make sure the face doesn't move away from square. Then and only then, do I know it is square for me.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Vokey SM2 52º cc
    Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
    Scotty X7M Dual 38"
    MCC Align Midsize
  • JCAGJCAG John Curry Members Posts: 2,057 ClubWRX

There is one theory that maybe you do not want the grip square to the face. Grips that are not round can well fit/settle in to one hands a bit different that others meaning when the grip feels right/comfortable the putter face may not be square.

To test this, close your eyes, grip the putter, assume your putter stance and set the putter where you believe the face is square. Open your eyes. Is the face square? If not maybe you needed the putter grip twisted a bit so when you performed the test, the face will be square.