Trick to squaring up putter grip?

Mclancy94 ·  
Mclancy94Mclancy94  221WRX Points: 88Members Posts: 221 Fairways

I am going to be re gripping a couple of my putters and was wondering if anyone had a trick to make sure the grip is perfectly straight?

Posted:

TM M4 12* Diamana S+ 60S
Still Searching
Ping S55 3-9 X100
Vokey SM5 47* F
Vokey TVD 52* M
Vokey SM7 56* F
Vokey SM6 60* M
Bettinardi BB40 Blackout 34"

Comments

• I_HATE_SNOWI_HATE_SNOW  3422WRX Points: 225Members Posts: 3,422 Titanium Tees

If you have a clamp, I've heard of using a level. I do it by eye but I'm using air so I can adjust it any time I want.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • evanleeballevanleeball  495WRX Points: 61Handicap: +4.7Members Posts: 495 Greens

I like to use a 90 degree angle (wall or door). Make the face flush to one side and make sure the flat side of the grip is flush to the other.

Posted:
  • AmazinBlueAmazinBlue  1159WRX Points: 150Handicap: 11Members Posts: 1,159 Platinum Tees

I use a plumb bob on a string for the vertical line for the face and the horizontal of the goldsmith speed grip clamp unit. Sometimes a small 6-inch level if I question it

Posted:
    Taylormade SLDR 460 Tour Issue Pro Launch Blue 44.25"
    Cobra F9 14.5  Tensei Blue AV S 42.75"
    Cobra F9 5/6 Atmos Blue S 42.50"
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 23* Kuro Kage 80 Hy stiff
    Taylormade P790 5-AW Under Construction
    Vokey SM6 54*/08* M Grind Steel Gray
    Vokey SM7 58*/14* D Grind Tour Chrome
    Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide 33.5" 
    Maxfli Tour
  • wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE  4370WRX Points: 385Members Posts: 4,370 Titanium Tees

The surface of your work bench has a decent flat surface to be used as a guide.
    Easy to adjust either using air to install or a quick hand while the solvent is not dry.

Posted:
  • MadGolfer76MadGolfer76 Maine 20333WRX Points: 893Members Posts: 20,333 Titanium Tees

My trick is to let my pro do it.

Posted:

• toctoc  2899WRX Points: 612Members Posts: 2,899 Titanium Tees

I just eyeball it...

Posted:
    Glove: ML
    Tees: 2 3/4
    Towel: white
    Repair tool: metal
    Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
    Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • IvanDragoIvanDrago  471WRX Points: 77Handicap: 10Members Posts: 471 Greens

look down the grip and shaft and use the line on the putter head.

if your grip is parrallel to that then its square

Posted:
  • Awainer1Awainer1  925WRX Points: 105Members Posts: 925 Golden Tee

Take a golf tee and put the head of it where you would rest the ball facing down on the flat part of the grip. Look down the shaft and align the tee with the face of the putter.

Posted:
  • SocratesSocrates Warning Points 1+ Winnipeg 9903WRX Points: 893Handicap: 4ishClubWRX Posts: 9,903 ClubWRX

I'll do any or all of the above when it's not mine (depends on the shape of the grip). If it is mine, I'll do one or more of the above and then putt with it before it is dry. I'll then grip it and then ramp up my grip pressure (like on a sphincter puckering putt) and make sure the face doesn't move away from square. Then and only then, do I know it is square for me.

Posted:
    Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Cobra F8 5-6 Fwy at 18.5° Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
    Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
    MCC Align Midsize

• JCAGJCAG John Curry  2152WRX Points: 156Members Posts: 2,152 Platinum Tees

There is one theory that maybe you do not want the grip square to the face. Grips that are not round can well fit/settle in to one hands a bit different that others meaning when the grip feels right/comfortable the putter face may not be square.

To test this, close your eyes, grip the putter, assume your putter stance and set the putter where you believe the face is square. Open your eyes. Is the face square? If not maybe you needed the putter grip twisted a bit so when you performed the test, the face will be square.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.