Host familys for tournaments

Has anyone ever used a host family for their kid in any tournaments. If you what age did you first do this.

Looking at how much travel a junior golf can do having a host family at tournaments every once in a while seems like it would save a lot money. I actually like the idea a lot at least what I read about host families.

Going a step further it would be great to have a sort of exchange golf program for juniors. It would be great to be able to host and also allow my daughter to travel to regions she doesn’t have easy access to. Probably harder to accomplish and it something an organization would need to get behind and set some strict guidelines.

Comments

• CTgolfCTgolf Posts: 407 ✭✭

Interesting idea - just don't stay with a competitor's family (perverse incentives)

• darter79darter79 Members Posts: 682 ✭✭

I've heard of this for USGA events but not others but its an interesting idea to say the least.

• tiger1873tiger1873 Members Posts: 1,011 ✭✭

One of the reasons I actually like the idea of host families is growing up I belonged to 4h and FFA both are large organizations that support farming youth. Anyways they always had great exchange programs where families would host each other’s kids.

The great thing is you got to travel to another part of country see how things work. Your family had to host another family which was usually from the same family you visited. This meant lots of opportunities and places to stay. I would think a similar program could work in golf but obviously it needs to be run by someone like th PGA to work. Would be really good if you could have international spots as well. Imagine being able to send you kid to Scotland to play golf for a few weeks.

I seen programs where host families are at large invitational tournaments and heard good things. Don’t think I would send my 12 year to do it but would not have a problem sending a 15 or16 year old. It sounds great but would love to hear from someone who has actually done it.

• heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,003 ✭✭

We will travel with other families and split hotel rooms and gas.

AJGA has a program that will host the kids, but not the parents... I believe. Haven't looked into it that much.

• tiger1873tiger1873 Members Posts: 1,011 ✭✭
    edited Mar 25, 2019 5:06pm #6

@heavy_hitter said:
    We will travel with other families and split hotel rooms and gas.

AJGA has a program that will host the kids, but not the parents... I believe. Haven't looked into it that much.

The AJGA program is what sparked my interest. I believe all them are for kids only that I have seen. I didn't see a minimum age on it but I am not sure I would put a 12 or 13 year old on plane and hope they get picked up. On the other hand when they're 15 or 16 I am sure most kids could handle it.

On a side note the traveling with other families seems like it could have a lot issues. I couldn't imagine splitting a hotel room with another family or doing a long car ride with another family.