Clay Ballard would give Shiels and Crossfield the SAUCE!

Just as the title says. Clay Ballard of Top Speed Golf would give Rick Shiels and Mark Crossfield the SAUCE! I am a fan of all three, appreciate what they all do. Just feel Clay Ballard doesn’t get enough appreciation. I could be wrong but wanna hear your thoughts.

This is no dig on Crossfield or Rick. Like them both a lot!

Comments

• Les StrokesLes Strokes Posts: 398 ✭✭

I prefer Clay to those other two. If he decided to add club reviews I think the other two would be toast.

• shredNECTARshredNECTAR Members Posts: 119 ✭✭

Like the fact that he uses older clubs too. Not fooled by marketing. Only concerned with what works best for him.

• jimb6golfjimb6golf Members Posts: 1,504 ✭✭

I like all three but there all different types of pros at leat on Youtube. Ballard is purely a teacher, while Shiels is primarily a club tester and Crossfield is more of an entertainer at this point (enjoy them all). Ballard is really good but he seems to focus too much on lag. Again I think he's really good and enjoy watching his videos all the time. I think Ballard, Chris Ryan, Eric Cogorno and maybe Russell Heritage are all pretty good. Even Shiels, Crossfield and Finch are good as well.

I know the lag thing puzzles me with Ballard. I’m going to “look into it,” and experiment on the range.

• dubbelbogeydubbelbogey Posts: 367 ✭✭

Is Ballard past the "practice this move for 2 or 3 thousand times" thing? (I know I'm exaggerating, but I stopped watching him because of that. And the excessive focus on lag, too.)

• JonnyKrasnodarJonnyKrasnodar Members Posts: 1,804 ✭✭

Not seen enough of Ballard but what I have seen doesn't really do anything for me. As much as he is an annoying and arrogant throbber, MC is the only one that is consistently challenging the conventional "wisdom" with facts and figures and genuinely seems to want to push the game and coaching forward.

Shiels only wants clicks, which is fine but ultimately doesn't advance knowledge in any way.

Ballard seems too laid back for me I get bored quickly if I'm watching his videos.

I feel like with any of these guys they have their niche. I feel as far as instruction goes, not general, but something specific you are looking for, Clay Ballard’s the guy. Club reviews, Crossfield and Shiels all day, golf approach and wisdom Crossfield. I even find Shiels instruction to be very helpful (important not to go too technical). Anyway in a golf match between the 3, you could also include me and my golf guys and Peter Finch, Clay Ballard would give all these guys the SAUCE and it’s not even close!

• kyleluteskylelutes Members Posts: 80 ✭✭

I agree they've all got their own niche and are aimed at a different area of golf.

• Dustin_JDustin_J St. Louis, MOMembers Posts: 148 ✭✭

For instruction, I vastly prefer Ballard, Chris Ryan (probably my favorite Youtube instructor), Adam Bazalgette, and Me and My Golf to either Shiels or Crossfield (or Finch, for that matter). They all seem more like they're focusing on providing quality instruction first and foremost as opposed to being Youtube personalities.

• golfandfishinggolfandfishing Members Posts: 3,387 ✭✭

I’m only familiar with Shiels and Crossfield through this board - I thought they were equipment reviewers? Thread seems to indicate they are instructors?

• Les StrokesLes Strokes Posts: 398 ✭✭

Honorable mention to Danny Maude for his instruction videos ...

• JonnyKrasnodarJonnyKrasnodar Members Posts: 1,804 ✭✭

@golfandfishing said:
    I’m only familiar with Shiels and Crossfield through this board - I thought they were equipment reviewers? Thread seems to indicate they are instructors?

Shiels did and does occasionally do instructional stuff. Crossfield has always done stuff. His "journey" series was interesting if you look it up on YouTube you see how he develops students over 6 months.

• GautamaGautama Posts: 750 ✭✭

I don't want to choose sides or be rude here, but seems to me Crossfield is an insufferable narcissist with genuinely disturbing personality traits. Is that choosing sides and/or being rude? I never can tell with these things, I think I have a very low EQ. :wink:

"I see the distorted swings, the hurried rounds, and now the electric carts tae ruin the course and rob us of our exercise...we have gone off the mark, gone after the wrong things, forgotten what it's all about"

-Dr. Julian Sands, Golf in the Kingdom
  • toctoc Members Posts: 2,710 ✭✭

I’m assuming giving someone the SAUCE means to beat him/her at golf? Never heard that before

Glove: ML
    Tees: 2 3/4
    Towel: white
    Repair tool: metal
    Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
    Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,168 ✭✭

Stopped watching all 3, especially RS with all that clickbait.

If I want to watch golf lesson stuff, I'll watch GG or Monte. If I want course vlogs, Broadie Smith or Golfoholics. If I want to watch a bunch of clowns hack the ball around like Parfield and the muppets I'd just go play with friends.

WITB
    DRIVER MIA
    LTD Kai'li 70X
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    P790 4i Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW KBS Tour FLT
    Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 58/12SS Modus 125 Wedge (Hi Toe 58 KBS Wedge in test)
    TP Black Copper Juno w/ PX 7.0 Wedge
    TP5X
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

I feel like if they all played together, Rick and Mark would just bicker and Clay would get the W and call them a PUSS. Crossfield gives some good insight and I still watch all 3. I wish Rick would do more instructional videos, he gives very good basic advice, whereas Clay talks about lag which I really Know how I feel about it yet

• jshuffjshuff Members Posts: 98 ✭✭

I prefer Clay as well, but Rick has a good driver video series.

• GolfjackGolfjack All about the rotation Posts: 944 ✭✭

Yeah Shiels is all click bait and no substance now. There's nothing in his videos they've gotten so hollow. Every time he tests a driver he'll hit it a distance he never gets to on course (or else he would have been same distance as WIllett when he played pro am with him). Clay is the key word guy "Distance" "Lag" etc. He keeps talking about lag while other instructors have kinda already busted that myth. Otherwise I do like his approach, but I think lag is created naturally if your swing is sound. You can't force it. Crossfield is the guy who tries to do different things and I appreciate his approach since you do get some nuggets out of his videos. And for guys who think he is a bit obnoxious yes that's true but it's entertaining. If you don't like it well there are plenty of bland golf coaches out there.

TM M4 Driver 10.5
    TM M4 3 wood 16
    4H (22) Aeroburner TP
    Mizuno MP-15 4, 5 iron, Project X LZ 6.5
    Mizuno MP-5 6-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
    Wedges Mizuno T7 50, 56, 60
    Honma HP 1002

Alternate set:
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9.5, Nike VR Pro 4-PW DG x100, Titleist AP2 712 DG x100 4-P, Callaway Jaws X Series CC Wedges 52 56 60, , Odyssey Arm Lock Putter, Gauge Design Eldik Putter with Superstroke Fatso 5
  • buckeyeflbuckeyefl Members Posts: 5,363 ✭✭
    edited Mar 25, 2019 11:35am #20

@dubbelbogey said:
    Is Ballard past the "practice this move for 2 or 3 thousand times" thing? (I know I'm exaggerating, but I stopped watching him because of that. And the excessive focus on lag, too.)

Do you know of a quick fix? Good golf takes work and changes take a lot of work. Also, lag isnt a bad word its just it is usually taught incorrectly or even worse people try to figure it out themselves.

• jecarnljecarnl Posts: 92 ✭✭

Different STROKES for different folks....lol.

edited Mar 26, 2019 1:51am #22

@buckeyefl said:

@dubbelbogey said:

Do you know of a quick fix? Good golf takes work and changes take a lot of work. Also, lag isnt a bad word its just it is usually taught incorrectly or even worse people try to figure it out themselves.

It's not about quick fixes vs taking more time. I've got nothing against spending solid time to get the proper practice in. Instead, it's the notion of whether practicing one move repetitively is even a good way practice. I've found the best learning comes from introducing variation that replicates what you actually do when competing (though my most competitive sports background were in sports that were not golf, for full disclosure). In any case, here's a very interesting podcast that interviews a golf science researcher focusing on this very topic: https://golfsciencelab.com/best-way-to-practice-on-the-driving-range/
    (BTW, there's a number of podcasts on that series that talk to other researchers that have very similar conclusions, so this is not just an example of one study.)

I've got nothing against "lag" either, but it seems with Clay it's highly overemphasized.

• SoCalTitleistSoCalTitleist Members Posts: 3,255 ✭✭

They all kind of peak and run their course after a few years. I’m already getting board with TXG , too long and drawn out .

• BB28403BB28403 Members Posts: 3,057 ✭✭

If Ballard wouldn't end every video with a stupid infomercial then he would be taken more seriously. It is a real turn off , oh you won't teach me for free? Then get off YouTube.
    But I like Crossfield, shiels is ok, TXG makes me want to jump off a cliff where I don't die just have broken bones and Ballard seems alright.

• i*windowsi*windows Posts: 2,134 ✭✭
    edited Mar 26, 2019 7:43am #25

Ballard, but there is only one winner in the you tube golf stakes, Alex Evans - brilliant http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWNL-9pRK2aev1oCRJNnevw

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Just hit the **** ball.[/font]
    TM R1
    Adams Tight lies 2 5w
    Cleveland Mashie 5h
    Nike Covert Forged 2, 6-PW
    Lynx Prowler VT 5-PW
    Cleveland 588 Tour Action 51*
    MD Golf Seve Sedona 58*
    Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini.

@dubbelbogey said:

@buckeyefl said:

@dubbelbogey said:

It's not about quick fixes vs taking more time. I've got nothing against spending solid time to get the proper practice in. Instead, it's the notion of whether practicing one move repetitively is even a good way practice. I've found the best learning comes from introducing variation that replicates what you actually do when competing (though my most competitive sports background were in sports that were not golf, for full disclosure). In any case, here's a very interesting podcast that interviews a golf science researcher focusing on this very topic: https://golfsciencelab.com/best-way-to-practice-on-the-driving-range/
    (BTW, there's a number of podcasts on that series that talk to other researchers that have very similar conclusions, so this is not just an example of one study.)

I've got nothing against "lag" either, but it seems with Clay it's highly overemphasized.

Clay mentions the same thing in one of his videos but you still have to put reps in no matter the skill. So yes reps are a good way to practice and establish a good foundation as long as they are done correctly. Pick your sport, its a universal truth.

@BB28403 said:
    If Ballard wouldn't end every video with a stupid infomercial then he would be taken more seriously. It is a real turn off , oh you won't teach me for free? Then get off YouTube.
    But I like Crossfield, shiels is ok, TXG makes me want to jump off a cliff where I don't die just have broken bones and Ballard seems alright.

He gives a LOT of info before mentioning his business that lets him do the videos which provide said information. Just stop the video when he gets to that part just like I ff past Shiels "Slam like and subscribe" and Crossfields "Morning y'all" to get to the point of the video.

I like Crossfields insight and really like some of his videos, but if I see him make one more cup of coffee I’m going to kill myself.

• BottleCapBottleCap Members Posts: 1,266 ✭✭

Crossfield is the best, funny and intelligent.
    I can't watch Shiels or Finch, low IQ on their side of the fence.

Titleist TS2 GD TourAD IZ 7S
    Titleist TS2 15 GD TourAD F-85S
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3-4 DG AMT S300
    Mizuno MP-18 5-PW DG S400
    Vokey SM7 54M and 60M
    Cameron Newport 2 CT
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

@buckeyefl said:
    Clay mentions the same thing in one of his videos but you still have to put reps in no matter the skill. So yes reps are a good way to practice and establish a good foundation as long as they are done correctly. Pick your sport, its a universal truth.

Reps are important, I'd certainly agree. But how you attain those reps is the point that researcher is making. "Block practice" of the same movement/skill/shot over and over again is not as effective as mixing it up with "serial" and "random" practice (those terms are described in the podcast.)

I used to play and coach competitive tennis. I saw students who grooved their forehands (or backhands, take your pick) against a ball machine that was set to feed balls to the same spot, with the same spin and pace. Of course, the machines could be programmed to provide much more variation, but students, left to their own devices, would often choose not to use those modes. Ultimately, this was relatively ineffective practice as it wasn't realistic. Plus it was mindless and boring.

• jonsnowjonsnow GeorgiaMembers Posts: 1,205 ✭✭

@jimb6golf said:
    I like all three but there all different types of pros at leat on Youtube. Ballard is purely a teacher, while Shiels is primarily a club tester and Crossfield is more of an entertainer at this point (enjoy them all). Ballard is really good but he seems to focus too much on lag. Again I think he's really good and enjoy watching his videos all the time. I think Ballard, Chris Ryan, Eric Cogorno and maybe Russell Heritage are all pretty good. Even Shiels, Crossfield and Finch are good as well.

If I'm looking for something to work on, I watch Russell Heritage. I don't hear his name mentioned much here, but I like his straightforward manner & detailed information on how the body should move. I enjoy Crossfield's vlogs as well, never got into Shiels.

WITB:
    Titleist 910D3 9.5
    Titleist 917F2 15
    Titleist 910H 19
    Bridgestone J40 DPC 4-PW
    Vokey SM6 50,54,60
    Cameron Newport 2
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

Clubs are subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination at any time...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file