Cross america road trip!

Hi guys!

I’ll be making the road trip depicted at the end of April, maybe early May. I will have about 13 - 15 days to do it and I’d love to play as much golf as I can muster during the trip.

I’d love your suggestions as far as classic courses to play along the route, from Minnesota all the way to Maine. I’m very willing to make detours for legendary courses and hidden gems.

Right now I’m definitely looking at Erin Hills and Whistling Straits for starters but as I said I’d love to use all the local knowledge from this site to help me plan this out!

Cheers!

The number in the picture is my balls speed

Comments

• DancinDancin Members Posts: 235 ✭✭

Your route goes right past Sand Valley so that would be crazy to skip that. Can also hit Lawsonia Links. That has you spending a lot of time in Wisconsin, but unless you've got private club hookups, there isn't a lot of great public golf along your route in Indiana and Ohio.

• RP29RP29 Members Posts: 139 ✭✭

Thanks for the reply!

• alfridayalfriday Members Posts: 456 ✭✭

+1 for Sand Valley.

Anything for the east coast?

• DanMNDanMN Members Posts: 5 ✭✭

Looks like you might be going by Turning Stone near Syracuse, NY. Warren Course at Notre Dame could be a good stop before it hosts the US Senior Open this year.

• BirdieRollBirdieRoll Members Posts: 356 ✭✭

At the beginning of your trip, as you work your way towards the Twin Cities, I'd check out The Classic at Madden's and Deacon's Lodge in north central Minnesota. The former offers caddie service.

Then, sticking close to Interstate 94, on the east side of the Twin Cities you could play Keller, a renovated classic, StoneRidge, a links-style course, or Troy Burne, a big burly modern course with 100+ bunkers just over the border in Wisconsin.

At the end of your trip I'd look into Sugarloaf Golf Club in Maine. A few publications routinely call this course the best in the state.

Given your estimated timeframe, I'd call all of these courses in advance just to make sure they are open and fit with your schedule. Sounds like a great trip!

@BirdieRoll said:
    At the beginning of your trip, as you work your way towards the Twin Cities, I'd check out The Classic at Madden's and Deacon's Lodge in north central Minnesota. The former offers caddie service.

Then, sticking close to Interstate 94, on the east side of the Twin Cities you could play Keller, a renovated classic, StoneRidge, a links-style course, or Troy Burne, a big burly modern course with 100+ bunkers just over the border in Wisconsin.

At the end of your trip I'd look into Sugarloaf Golf Club in Maine. A few publications routinely call this course the best in the state.

Given your estimated timeframe, I'd call all of these courses in advance just to make sure they are open and fit with your schedule. Sounds like a great trip!

Awesome thanks!

It’s an undesired work move so I intend to painstakingly make my way to my new place of work as slowly as possible haha

• cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 11,652 ✭✭

Based on timing and perhaps weather .. maybe go south before going east?

Ping G400 LST 11* Mitsu TI BB Matte 53x
    Callaway GBB 3w 14* Mitsu Blueboard 63x
    Ping G400 5w 17* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Callaway V-series Hwood Fuji TS 8.2s
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fujikura 904HBs
    Ping Rapture 5-PW Aldila NV MLTi Pro105x
    Ping iWedge 50* Aldila NV 105x
    Ping Glide SS 53* & ES 59* Wrx SF125s
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 11,652 ✭✭

Too bad you can't do Bethpage Black and Montauk on Long Island ... is there a car ferry off the eastern tip ?

Ping G400 LST 11* Mitsu TI BB Matte 53x
    Callaway GBB 3w 14* Mitsu Blueboard 63x
    Ping G400 5w 17* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Callaway V-series Hwood Fuji TS 8.2s
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fujikura 904HBs
    Ping Rapture 5-PW Aldila NV MLTi Pro105x
    Ping iWedge 50* Aldila NV 105x
    Ping Glide SS 53* & ES 59* Wrx SF125s
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)

@cardoustie said:
    Too bad you can't do Bethpage Black and Montauk on Long Island ... is there a car ferry off the eastern tip ?

I thought about bethpage! I’m just thinking it will be tough to get on the course a week or two before the PGA :(

• umassgolferumassgolfer Members Posts: 770 ✭✭
    edited Mar 25, 2019 2:11pm #12

There's a course called Sleepy Hollow in the Cleveland MetroParks system that I considered in the "hidden gem" category - as a non-local I'd never heard of it but it gets a good amount of praise on "best courses you can play in Ohio" type lists. Stanley Thompson designed, and regarded by some as his best design in the US.

Also, tons of great (largely private) golf in the Northeast, but if you're into golden-age designs, try to get on to Yale Golf Club. One of my favorite courses I've played. A couple Western Mass options - The Ranch, Crumpin Fox, The Orchards (Ross design, hosted a Women's US Open) would be worth looking into.

• Argonne69Argonne69 Members Posts: 20,015 ✭✭

Umm, are you serious? The northern part of the country has had a fairly brutal winter. If courses are even open in early May, they'll be in sh*t shape. Erin Hills is projected to open May 6th.

If I had 15 days in early May, I'd head south, and travel from the Carolinas to San Diego.

@Argonne69 said:
    Umm, are you serious? The northern part of the country has had a fairly brutal winter. If courses are even open in early May, they'll be in sh*t shape. Erin Hills is projected to open May 6th.

If I had 15 days in early May, I'd head south, and travel from the Carolinas to San Diego.

I'm going west to east. and unfortunately I don't have too much in the form of leeway with the itinerary. This trip is to relocate me to a new place of work and luckily for me is subsidised. I can stray off course but unfortunately going down to California and across is not in the cards. I'm just looking to see if I can get to anything on the route that I have to follow :)

• jvincentjvincent Members Posts: 494 ✭✭

I was going to say the same thing as @Argonne69 .
    The later you can make the trip the better but conditions that time of year will be sketchy at best along the route you've shown

• DrOldSchoolDrOldSchool Noblesville, INMembers Posts: 407 ✭✭
    edited Mar 26, 2019 2:58am #16

Some other suggestions beyond those given:

Near Madison, WI: the University of Wisconsin course

In NE Indiana: Glendarin Hills

If you divert up I-94 into Michigan rather than I-80/90: Angels Crossing in Vicksburg and/or Harbor Shores near Benton Harbor

Near Buffalo/Niagara Falls: Seneca Hickory Stick

• PhreddyPhreddy Members Posts: 597 ✭✭

Erin Hills, Whistling and Sand Valley are the "go to" Wisconsin destinations. Worthy contenders along your route through the state are Lawsonia (The Links) and Sentry World. If you care to venture off the interstate and see the true north woods of Wisconsin Turtleback (Rice Lake) is another very good track. When you approach the Wisconsin/Minnesota border Troy Brune (Hudson, WI) is an excellent course. Fingers crossed for you weather wise. You are on the thin side of the margin.
    Phred

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.
  • CDMCDM Members Posts: 1,682 ✭✭
    edited Mar 27, 2019 8:00pm #18

As noted above hit Troy Burne Golf Club just east of Minneapolis.
    https://www.troyburne.com/

• tideridertiderider Members Posts: 1,493 ✭✭
    edited Mar 29, 2019 1:04am #19

might want to call and ask for a 4-week extension at your current location ... but if you're driving to the east from north dakota, i can see where you might to go ahead and get the **** out of there asap ...

Haha, not North Dakota. That’s just where I’m crossing the border. I’m in Northern Alberta, which is arguably. Worst.

• tideridertiderider Members Posts: 1,493 ✭✭

Cogs Hill in Chicago may be open at that time ... hosted the BMW Championship a couple of times ...

Nice! I’ll look into it

• Roadking2003Roadking2003 AustinMembers Posts: 5,084 ✭✭

The cream of the crop is Erin Hills and Whistling Straits.
    You might consider adding The Bull, Blackwolf Run, and Sand Valley
    Personally, I would skip Cog Hill and play more in WI.
    Also, delay the trip as long as possible to get better weather. End of May would be better than April

• Bob CatBob Cat Golfopath Members Posts: 1,540 ✭✭

In NW Indiana (just off I-80), hit 3Floyds brewery in Munster for a meal and a pint of Gumballhead (and a case to go).

www.3floyds.com

GREAT food and drink!

Taylormade M1
    TaylorMade R5 Dual (3) / R580 (7)
    Ping i15 / Zing 2
    Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
    TM Spider Tour Black
    Titleist AVX
    Sun Mountain Four 5
    Clicgear 3.5+

Loving the suggestions guys. Seems like the trip is being delayed as a byproduct of bureaucracy so you never know!

• Roadking2003Roadking2003 AustinMembers Posts: 5,084 ✭✭

Delay is good. Better weather.